Sponsored by:

Performance Data Recorder (PDR) Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Performance Data Recorder (PDR) Chip

Did anyone else get a new Corvette without a chip already installed? I just now found that out. I know it only costs about $14 but you would think that GM would put one in a car if they paid for a PDR (and of course this is after buying a C7).
Old 10-04-2015, 01:27 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I think you mean an SD card. Mine also had a music card slot but came without either a card or music. My Macbook was even more expensive than a PDR and it didn't come with one either. Nor do most cameras, phones, etc. might seem cheap, might even be cheap, but its an industry standard policy. (Price depends on capacity and brand)
Old 10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Dracla
Racer

Just wondering out loud what we are getting for $70,000+. Seems to me like a $14 card ought to be included. I guess I was too optimistic.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:38 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

If it came with an SD card, you would then complain that it wasn't big enough.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Dracla
Racer

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
If it came with an SD card, you would then complain that it wasn't big enough.
Now that is a really stupid comment. Any chip at all would do, but apparently they chose not to even put in a very small one. Go figure. I guess GM makes more money that way.

Last edited by Dracla; 10-04-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:15 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

^^^ But you didn't deny you'd complain that it wasn't big enough.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Dracla
Racer

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
^^^ But you didn't deny you'd complain that it wasn't big enough.
It was implied for anyone smart enough to read what I wrote that I would expect GM to put anything in the slot that worked, so that the PDR (it does cost a bit more than an SD chip) worked, even at a lower level than one expects from a $70,000+ auto. That thought may be above your comprehension level, thus your remark. Believe me, I do understand your difficulty.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't understand the argument the car cost $XXXX, therefore I should have gotten x and y for free and better quality z. I see it over and over on this forum. If GM included every item people have thought they should and upgraded all the materials, the car would cost significantly more. You are paying the price for an extreme level of performance. The car is a bargain when compared to the competition.

Last edited by Boiler_81; 10-05-2015 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (10-05-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Oh, I understand what you're saying. I just don't share your sense of entitlement. You should have learned in advance that C7s don't come with memory cards and either negotiated the price downward accordingly or refused the deal.

Personally, I already knew C7s don't come with memory cards, so before leaving to pick mine up from the dealer, I took the 32GB card from my computer--need to get a 64 or 128 anyway, since 32 isn't enough to hold my backups--and reassigned it to my PDR. Works great. Friends are amazed. No additional cost over what I would have done otherwise
Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I don't understand the argument the car cost $XXXX, therefore I should have gotten x and y for free and better quality z. I see it over and over on this forum. If GM included everything item people have thought they should and upgraded all the materials, the car would cost significantly more. You are paying the price for an extreme level of performance. The car is a bargain when compared to the competition.
Spot-on. A Spark costs as much as many people's yearly earnings, so it could be said that GM has the moral obligation to build economy cars to the same quality standards as Corvettes because good hard-working folks depend on them for basic essential transportation, without which they couldn't get to jobs, school, grocery store, etc., at all.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:58 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Dracla
Just wondering out loud what we are getting for $70,000+. Seems to me like a $14 card ought to be included. I guess I was too optimistic.
For $70,000.00, you sir, are getting America's Sports Car...and by all accounts the BEST PERFORMANCE (BANG) FOR THE BUCK. Don't want to belittle your outrage over a missing $14 card but most people buy this car to DRIVE.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Dracla
Racer

LOL. In the OP just asked a simple question. I did not mean to start an intellectual exchange with someone ill equipped to participate. And by the way, you must have noticed that the best card costs less than a half a tank of gas. So it is not now and never has been about the money. It is the thought that counts.

Last edited by Dracla; 10-04-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:07 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

LOL. In the OP just asked a simple question. I did not mean to start an intellectual exchange with someone ill equipped to participate. And by the way, you must have noticed that the best card costs less than a half a tank of gas. So it is not now and never has been about the money. It is the thought that counts.
I agree with the OP. GM sends gifts to new Corvette buyers, they could easily spec an average size card and include it with the PDR in the Corvette. Like the OP, I think it would be a nice thing to do. Yes, I get it, nice doesn't live long on CF.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Noticed you are from Texas....thought so .... where everything is really really big....in fact so big ...I heard that when some people die they can't find coffins big enough to bury them in .... so they give them a ENEMA and put em in a shoe box.....How's THAT for a intellectual exchange!!!
meyerweb (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Dracla
Racer

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Noticed you are from Texas....thought so .... where everything is really really big....in fact so big ...I heard that when some people die they can't find coffins big enough to bury them in .... so they give them a ENEMA and put em in a shoe box.....How's THAT for a intellectual exchange!!!
I believe you are from a shopping center in East Dallas, but I may have overstated your problem. And yes, I also believe part of your post is correct. They gave LBJ an enema and buried him in a matchbox. He is now in the family plot about 4 feet from his aunt named Frank.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:48 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Pretty much nothing comes with an SD card included. Are you, OP, the same person whining about this on the other forum?

As for GM being "nice," nothing is free. If GM include a card, you're going to pay for it one way or another. If they include a cheap card that fails, people will complain. If they include a small, low capacity card, you'll just be paying for something that you'll end up replacing anyway, and you'd probably complain that they only included such a small, useless card. And if they include a high quality, large capacity card, you'll pay 3 or 4 times what it costs to get the same card at Amazon.

Dealers, OTOH, could get smart and offer a good card to their PDR customers at cost, generating good will at minimal expense. But Chevy dealers, by and large, don't seem to understand the idea of building good will.

Last edited by meyerweb; 10-04-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Woodson (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Dracla
Racer

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Pretty much nothing comes with an SD card included. Are you, OP, the same person whining about this on the other forum?

As for GM being "nice," nothing is free. If GM include a card, you're going to pay for it one way or another. If they include a cheap card that fails, people will complain. If they include a small, low capacity card, you'll just be paying for something that you'll end up replacing anyway, and you'd probably complain that they only included such a small, useless card. And if they include a high quality, large capacity card, you'll pay 3 or 4 times what it costs to get the same card at Amazon.

Dealers, OTOH, could get smart and offer a good card to their PDR customers at cost, generating good will at minimal expense. But Chevy dealers, by and large, don't seem to understand the idea of building good will.
It seemed to me like a simple question. Apparently, the really simple answer is that they do not include a $14 card in a $70,000+ car. So be it. Enuf said. PS: I got an SD card out of an old camera that I was going to pitch. It works.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Data Recorder (PDR) Chip

Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Karlba
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

I tend to agree there are 2 sd card slots in my 3lt and I didn't get the cards with the veh, nor did it come with the usb thumb drive for the usb slots, nor the coffee mugs in that go in the holders and don't even get me started on the missing stack of cash that clearly the center console is designed to hold, for 70k they could have given us a couple thousand in hundreds to fill that space for them.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Did anyone else get a new Corvette without a chip already installed? I just now found that out. I know it only costs about $14 but you would think that GM would put one in a car if they paid for a PDR (and of course this is after buying a C7).
Now that is a really stupid comment. Any chip at all would do, but apparently they chose not to even put in a very small one. Go figure. I guess GM makes more money that way.
It was implied for anyone smart enough to read what I wrote that I would expect GM to put anything in the slot that worked, so that the PDR (it does cost a bit more than an SD chip) worked, even at a lower level than one expects from a $70,000+ auto. That thought may be above your comprehension level, thus your remark. Believe me, I do understand your difficulty.
It seemed to me like a simple question. Apparently, the really simple answer is that they do not include a $14 card in a $70,000+ car. So be it. Enuf said. PS: I got an SD card out of an old camera that I was going to pitch. It works.
I know what you mean. I bought a new truck, it has a CD player .....no cd was included. GM is definitely conspiring to f#ck up my life.

I drove him singing quietly through my tears, so mad, but so glad that my Bay City Rollers cd was only an hour away....
Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

To answer the question posed in your original post, yes, everyone buying a new 2015 or 2016 Corvette with the PDR received it without an SD card installed. Knowing that there are many SD card sizes available, I am glad that I was able to install the particular size that I wanted to use in my wife's 2015 and that I didn't wind up with another SD card laying around that I do not need. You would think that most people would already have several SD cards at his or her disposal. Maybe GM thought the same.

Quick Reply: Performance Data Recorder (PDR) Chip