C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing brings me more joy than to wash her up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nothing brings me more joy than to wash her up!

The joy of washing her up:

To only put her back under her cover... lol

Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

You want to kick it up gloss wise without doing any extra work? Go get some DURAGLOSS AQUAWAX from autogeek......When the car is still wet, before you dry it , spray the car down, one spritz per panel, and then just dry the car normally, Result: instant sealant protection , no extra work and more gloss for months…
The following 3 users liked this post by Glen e:
orwollma (10-05-2015), rrod436 (10-05-2015), Village joe (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 03:57 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I get no joy in washing the car, but I do like the look of the finished product.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:01 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks good. I don't daily drive my car so I thought about getting a cover for it. Seems it gets dusty just sitting in my garage for two days. Texas wind is strong I guess.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Looks super.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
You want to kick it up gloss wise without doing any extra work? Go get some DURAGLOSS AQUAWAX from autogeek......When the car is still wet, before you dry it , spray the car down, one spritz per panel, and then just dry the car normally, Result: instant sealant protection , no extra work and more gloss for months…
Glen, I bought the other product you suggested in "doc 8 cleaning weekly" the Prima Hydro. Two quesitions: (1) okay to use on transparent top?; (2) the next day I noticed some spotting, did i apply too much or fail to wipe/spread it around witht he waffle towel while drying (if so, would it have been safe to use a clean MF cloth to wipe/polish it the next morning?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Yesh prima and duragloss are considered a product type called "drying agents". Did you adhere to a spritz or two per panel, not more?. Never had any streaking or spotting with DG or Prima. DG cheaper, so i own a gallon. Use common sense for application… Spritz of 3 x 3 size spot and up/down side to side to wipe.....maybe 20 spritzes whole car.

I'd use Plexus on the top, its made for polycarb.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-05-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 PM
14 yellow string
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just still can't believe with today's modern products someone would put soap on any kind of vehicle let alone a Corvette.
Mine is a 14 yellow in Color with 17,000 on it. It sits from October to April in a garage no cover. I drive it everyday when I'm home from my winters in Florida n I've never have used soap on this Vette and never will.
Soap leave a film on your cars I use Croftgate Car Care Products on mine.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 14 yellow string
I just still can't believe with today's modern products someone would put soap on any kind of vehicle let alone a Corvette.
Mine is a 14 yellow in Color with 17,000 on it. It sits from October to April in a garage no cover. I drive it everyday when I'm home from my winters in Florida n I've never have used soap on this Vette and never will.
So where did you get the idea that all shampoos are bad? Did somebody tell you that? It's really way wrong information…
The following 2 users liked this post by Glen e:
BRussell (10-05-2015), mpuzach (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 04:19 PM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Yesh prima and duragloss are considered a product type called "drying agents". Did you adhere to a spritz or two per panel, not more?. Never had any streaking or spotting with DG or Prima. DG cheaper, so i own a gallon.

I'd use Plexus on the top, its made for polycarb.
Yes, only one spritz per panel, except for the hood, probably did one each side there, but that's where I noticed the spotting. Should I have been using a wet towel, wiping it down once, spritzing, then using a different towel (which should stay "drier")? Never used a product of this nature before, but sounds like a great idea...

And I read about the Plexus somewhere else, and had wanted to ask if you had any thoughts on it. I'll pick one up next time.

Thanks for all your help and guidance on this!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

I think you are overthinking it… When the car is wet, the car is sprayed ,as you use the waffle weave to dry it , constantly turning it , it should not spot at all. Spots and streaks usually occur because something is still on the paint that is interfering with it, or something on the towel. Washing all your microfibers and towels ,right after the detail , in the washer /dryer? That's a must.

You can take a clean microfiber if you want, folded in quarters, lightly sprayed with prima, and wipe the car down again. That should get rid of any possible streaks you have.

Next time PM me, so we don't hijack a thread. I'll help anytime.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-05-2015 at 04:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Glen e:
BenCasey (10-05-2015), l.i. bruce fan (10-05-2015), mpuzach (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Glen
Can we use this product on the Headlight and tail light covers without causing problems by sealing them? I read somewhere that one should never use sealant products on headlights. Should we try to avoid this area when spritzing/drying the car? Please advise. We ordered some from Autogeek and got a free shipping coupon code. Great saving.
Please advise, we always read your advise and have had great results.Thanks
Heidi
SAVE THE WAVE
Old 10-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

When they talk about things that should be used on headlights or taillights it's usually something that is thicker like a coating or something like that .....Anything discussed in this thread is perfectly fine for all the plastic on the car.
The following users liked this post:
Heidemarie (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 05:08 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Washing my car is a necessary evil, given that LRG is so dark. But I find that no matter what time of year if I spend a couple hours detailing my car (not just a quick rinse or waterless wash) it will always rain within a week, even if it basically hasn't rained for 2 months. like here in No. TX.
Detailed it on Sunday and, of course, forecast is for widespread rain on Thursday and Friday... (But we really do need the rain so I'm not too unhappy if it does...)
Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
randuff
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I hear ya!

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Washing my car is a necessary evil, given that LRG is so dark. But I find that no matter what time of year if I spend a couple hours detailing my car (not just a quick rinse or waterless wash) it will always rain within a week, even if it basically hasn't rained for 2 months. like here in No. TX.
Detailed it on Sunday and, of course, forecast is for widespread rain on Thursday and Friday... (But we really do need the rain so I'm not too unhappy if it does...)
Of course the saying here in D/FW is if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!

I just washed my car on Sunday as well but I guess it will be another week before I can drive it.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 yellow string
Are you from Europe?? The title was Nothing brings me more joy than to wash her up And Your answer reminds me of some European woman I dated for a short time, they didn't like soap either they preferred body spray instead
Old 10-05-2015, 06:47 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Yah but soap leaves a residue... that is until you rinse it off! But I guess people need to sell products...

Get notified of new replies

To Nothing brings me more joy than to wash her up!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
Are you from Europe?? The title was Nothing brings me more joy than to wash her up And Your answer reminds me of some European woman I dated for a short time, they didn't like soap either they preferred body spray instead
The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty satisfied with the level of my cars finish using archaic soap. I'd be happy to compare to anyone's Vette any day.

Honestly, there are a lot of great products. For me I ise a good quality shampoo and water. No residue. Lol. Wax it. A coat of wax on the headlights as well. Car looks great.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
Pretty satisfied with the level of my cars finish using archaic soap. I'd be happy to compare to anyone's Vette any day.

Honestly, there are a lot of great products. For me I ise a good quality shampoo and water. No residue. Lol. Wax it. A coat of wax on the headlights as well. Car looks great.

Nothing like a good shampoo and shower, just leave the body spray at home

BTW try chocolate on the headlights!! much better than wax

Last edited by 360Lemans; 10-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Nothing brings me more joy than to wash her up!