Forum Dealers Question - AFM Valves

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:00 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default AFM Valves - Forum Dealer Help?

Hello Forum Dealers,

I know you are all very busy, so I am posting this here just as a "whoever may have time to answer" quick question for you:

Does the 2016 Z06 come with AFM valves, in addition to the NPP valves? Or, on the Z06, are the AFM valves run as a part of the NPP valve configuration?

I've read every thread I could on this subject, but found no definitive answer, and I figured you'd be in the best position to know.

Here's why I ask: I am interested in installing a cat back system, and not certain (because I can't find a definitive answer in any thread) that I will need to solve for running (or not running) the AFM valves.

I know many of you are selling cars around the country, so perhaps you'd know the answer by having seeing the cars during PDI.

From what I have read, I think some base and Z51 C7 owners would also be interested in knowing this answer.

Any rhyme or reason as to why or why not the AFM valves are present?

Very much appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by LATrafficJam; 10-05-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by LATrafficJam
Hello Forum Dealers,

I know you are all very busy, so I am posting this here just as a "whoever may have time to answer" quick question for you:

Does the 2016 Z06 come with AFM valves, in addition to the NPP valves? Or, on the Z06, are the AFM valves run as a part of the NPP valve configuration?

I've read every thread I could on this subject, but found no definitive answer, and I figured you'd be in the best position to know.

Here's why I ask: I am interested in installing a cat back system, and not certain (because I can't find a definitive answer in any thread) that I will need to solve for running (or not running) the AFM valves.

I know many of you are selling cars around the country, so perhaps you'd know the answer by having seeing the cars during PDI.

From what I have read, I think some base and Z51 C7 owners would also be interested in knowing this answer.

Any rhyme or reason as to why or why not the AFM valves are present?

Very much appreciate your feedback.
Manual trans would not have the AFM valves.

Also GM does not recommend modifying the exhaust system in any way and your warranty will be voided.

Dave
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Manual trans would not have the AFM valves.

Also GM does not recommend modifying the exhaust system in any way and your warranty will be voided.

Dave
Thank you, Dave.

I am glad (and would only ever get) that I purchased an M7 with my vehicle. But, this gives me reason to pause on any cat back exhaust install, even if I like the sound and black anodized tips much better.

I wonder if all others who have made such cat back installs are aware of voiding their warranty, having done so.

I'm glad I checked. I believed the only thing affected by a cat back system install would be that part of the warranty covering the replaced factory installed cat back system.

So installing a cat back exhaust system voids the ENTIRE warranty? Yikes.

Again, thank you for your time, Dave.

Last edited by LATrafficJam; 10-06-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

If you have ECO as a driving mode, doesn't it have to have AFM valves? No matter what model?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Default Borla? Corsa? Magnaflow? et al?

Exhaust resellers, just curious if you are advising Corvette owners who have vehicles under warranty that by installing (at least some of) your products it will void their GM warranty.

This could prove (potentially) useful as a consumer of your products, especially for a consumer such as myself who is asking questions to be an informed consumer.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Modify exhaust system in any way...warranty void.
my muffler & tip warranty is shot then

Last edited by C8Jake; 10-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7Jake
my muffler & tip warranty is shot then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUvCR5ev3g
Nice looking ride, C7JAKE.

Hopefully you've had no warranty issues with the changes you've made.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

OP - I have an M7 Z06. No AFM valves. So you don't have to worry about those.

Mine also doesn't have the NPP valves any more as the exhaust got changed out.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:34 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
OP - I have an M7 Z06. No AFM valves. So you don't have to worry about those.

Mine also doesn't have the NPP valves any more as the exhaust got changed out.
Excellent! Now I just need to worry about voiding the warranty with a cat-back system.

I guess I can install the cat-back system, then leave the car hermetically sealed in my garage (except for once weekly waxing - needed or not - in which case I will roll it out of my garage to do so, do the waxing, then return it to its hermetically sealed garage container) until the warranty runs out, at which point I will start the engine, and not worry about the warranty any longer since the warranty will have expired.

Of course, not having started it for another three years may cause its own problems.

Damn, I'm really screwed now!

I knew I should have bought that 1971 Ford Pinto off ebay!

Last edited by LATrafficJam; 10-06-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

If you retain the stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats (and leave the cats in the stock location), you're not going to have an issue with exhaust messing up your warranty.

I've never heard of an axle-back or cat-back exhaust set up resulting in a warranty problem.

Put headers on, remove the cats, or even move cat location, and yeah, they can jack with you on that if they choose to do so. So just go into that scenario with your eyes open if you're contemplating making those types of changes.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:56 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

If you retain the stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats (and leave the cats in the stock location), you're not going to have an issue with exhaust messing up your warranty.

I've never heard of an axle-back or cat-back exhaust set up resulting in a warranty problem.

Put headers on, remove the cats, or even move cat location, and yeah, they can jack with you on that if they choose to do so. So just go into that scenario with your eyes open if you're contemplating making those types of changes.
Very much appreciate your feedback, OnPoint!

What did you get, by the way?

I'm looking at the Corsa X-Pipe and Extreme axle back with quad black outlets configuration.

Hopefully, this will sound like an American V8 once installed.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LATrafficJam
Very much appreciate your feedback, OnPoint!

What did you get, by the way?

I'm looking at the Corsa X-Pipe and Extreme axle back with quad black outlets configuration.

Hopefully, this will sound like an American V8 once installed.

Mine got the Callaway exhaust set up (which I think they sell separate from their performance package if you're interested in that one).

Just this past weekend, I met a chap with a Z who has the Corsa Extreme with those quad black tips. Tips looked great. And it definitely did not sound like stock exhaust. I didn't ride in the car, so I don't know how well it manages drone, but Corsa has a great reputation managing drone well, and they make high quality stuff. It definitely ripped, though - noticeable change from stock.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by STStingray
as well.

In all three B&B Bullet installs I have had, I received a sheet saying that the axel-back did not void the warranty.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Drone inside the car at highway speeds was really bad on C5s and C6s with deep musclecar sounding exhaust or open NPP. Corsa's were ok because the their higher pitched sound avoided those deep tones. But is drone even an issue with the C7? Better sound insulation and other changes seem to have greatly reduced the problem.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:42 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Is drone even an issue with the C7? Better sound insulation and other changes seem to have greatly reduced the problem.
Rattletap Xtreme + Lloyds Ultimat

Get notified of new replies

To Forum Dealers Question - AFM Valves

Quick Reply: Forum Dealers Question - AFM Valves