Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2016 non-Z51 with mag ride delivered today - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting your '16 - sure looks great in the pic.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 AM
intercity lines
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
First off thanks to Tommy Jr and his staff at MacMulkin, pleasant experience, no BS. In less than two weeks since my initial e-mail I had the car in my Garage. They set up the shipping with Intercity and kept me informed every step of the way, no complaints at all.

Previously I had a '14 base car with the only options being 2LT and the A6 trans. I owned the car for around a year, it was an early build, had a few small issues, belt tensioner, bad door speaker and an annoying exhaust leak. All fixed by me and the dealer. Nice car but a little boring looking, pickins were slim when I bought it so any C7 was nice to have.

Decided I'd skip the '15s and try again for a '16 since GM added a few features like the front camera and mag-ride. I was mostly curious on the non-Z51 mag ride (FE3) since I had it on one of my old C6s. I will say in touring mode the ride is quite a bit smoother than the base C7 with the 18/19" tires, sport seems about where the base car was and track feels a little stiffer. Its not a huge difference like I have read from people with the C7 Z51 mag-ride, but I havent really did any aggressive driving yet so maybe I'll notice it more.

Also, just in case anyone is wondering it does not have an added trans cooler for the A8, I didnt expect it but though MAYBE GM would put them on all the '16 A8s. I wont ever drive it hard enough to need it though so its not a big deal.

Front camera is a nice addition.

PDR is pretty cool, not sure why I got it or NAV, but its there and fun to play with

A8 wasnt what I expected to be honest, might take a few more miles to learn and it might get better with more throttle input but it seems like a takes forever for it to upshift using the paddles. I have been driving a '15 Challenger with an A8 for the last year and the Chrysler trans is great, the instant you hit that paddle (even at 1/4 throttle) it shifts. Maybe this will get better with some miles but it really doesnt seem much different than the A6 in my '14 except more shifts. Time will tell I guess.

Panel fit is better than my '14, paint is - well - C7 paint. Thats why I went with white this time around.

Not trying to be too critical, I really like the car, looking forward to racking up some miles.
kp,

Thank you for posting a photo of your C7 from MacMulkin. Glad to hear all went well and thank you for your business, we certainly appreciate it and look forward to helping you with any future moves.

Thanks,
Jim
Intercity Lines
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com
Old 10-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Simply gorgeous. I just can't get over the beauty of these cars. I'm starting to like them better than the C2's.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you talking about your upshift speed in Tour, Sport, or track mode? I was pretty skeptical of the A8 at first, but I really can't complain about upshifts at WOT in track mode ....
Old 10-06-2015, 05:13 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

Decided I'd skip the '15s and try again for a '16 since GM added a few features like the front camera and mag-ride. I was mostly curious on the non-Z51 mag ride (FE3) since I had it on one of my old C6s. I will say in touring mode the ride is quite a bit smoother than the base C7 with the 18/19" tires, sport seems about where the base car was and track feels a little stiffer. Its not a huge difference like I have read from people with the C7 Z51 mag-ride, but I havent really did any aggressive driving yet so maybe I'll notice it more.
Nice to know it rides so smoothly. I was a bit concerned it would not ride as well as a base car due to GM specifying 19/20" tires on FE3 optioned cars. Guess we have to tip our hats to the engineers for making it work with these stiff sidewall tires.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bd377103
Are you talking about your upshift speed in Tour, Sport, or track mode? I was pretty skeptical of the A8 at first, but I really can't complain about upshifts at WOT in track mode ....
All modes, the trans itself shifts pretty quick, no agument there but there is a lag between the time you hit the paddle and it actually shifts.

Trust me, try a '15+ Challenger or Charger with a 6.4 and the 8 speed or a hellcat on sport mode + and thats how a 'DCT like' auto should react at any throttle or RPM with the paddle shifters. I'm not saying the A8 is bad, but there was a lot of hype and 'DCT like' was being thrown around quite a bit. Not sure why people take it personally, I never said it sucked, just was not what I expected.

Maybe something is wrong with mine, but it really doesnt to act much different than my '14 C7 with the A6 both using the paddles or just driving around. Havent really got on it hard yet..
Old 10-06-2015, 07:08 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shakeydog
Nice to know it rides so smoothly. I was a bit concerned it would not ride as well as a base car due to GM specifying 19/20" tires on FE3 optioned cars. Guess we have to tip our hats to the engineers for making it work with these stiff sidewall tires.
Its 'feels' smoother in tour than the non-mrc base but it also feels more controlled. I'm not sure why the 18/19" tire combo isnt available with the mag ride, seems that would be softest ride. I assume the Z51s with MRC have a rear sway bar and stiffer bushings, this sill doesnt have a rear sway bar so I assume no other Z51 suspension parts as well. Wonder how the '15 ZF1 cars with the 19/20s and regular base suspension ride.

On a good note thanks to GM for putting the electric hatch pulldown back, I know it weighs a fes OZ more but it was worth it

on a bad note spotted a few body issues today after taking a closer look around the car so I'm a little bummed out, we'll see how it gets handled.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:12 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
All modes, the trans itself shifts pretty quick, no agument there but there is a lag between the time you hit the paddle and it actually shifts.

Trust me, try a '15+ Challenger or Charger with a 6.4 and the 8 speed or a hellcat on sport mode + and thats how a 'DCT like' auto should react at any throttle or RPM with the paddle shifters. I'm not saying the A8 is bad, but there was a lot of hype and 'DCT like' was being thrown around quite a bit. Not sure why people take it personally, I never said it sucked, just was not what I expected.

Maybe something is wrong with mine, but it really doesnt to act much different than my '14 C7 with the A6 both using the paddles or just driving around. Havent really got on it hard yet..
I am not seeing what you're seeing in the A8 and the other car in my garage is a cayman with PDK
Old 10-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

KP,

Havent really got on it hard yet..

Sure just easy cruising the shifts have some lag but who cares about that. Under power the shifts are very quick with the paddles.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:48 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
KP,

Havent really got on it hard yet..

Sure just easy cruising the shifts have some lag but who cares about that. Under power the shifts are very quick with the paddles.
I care

GM said it was 'DCT like' not me lol.

Its not really that big of a deal to me, just commenting on it. When you go from something that shifts instantly at any throttle and rpm to hitting the paddle and nothing happens for 500rpm it seems to take forever to shift.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bd377103
I am not seeing what you're seeing in the A8 and the other car in my garage is a cayman with PDK
Well like I said, maybe I got a bad one because it certainly is no PDK.

Not sure if thats better or worse for me
Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

First congrats on your 2016 AW coupe! Would you trade up again or would you have kept your A6 2014 original car. I have a 2014 A6 Z51 MRC 3LT and I am always thinking of upgrading if the right car is out there. Is the A8 tranny much different than the A6 tranny. Thanks Dave
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kp
I can go a few weeks daily driving without washing the car, I'll admit it.

Thats why I didnt want the Z51 brake dust, I'd have to wash it once a week
Kp I have a 2014 Z51 and yes I do get lots of brake dust but I clean my wheels with a detail spray and microfiber cloth about every 3 times I drive the car which takes me 5-10 minutes. The BRAKE DUST does not affect the rest of the car so I am sure both a Z51 and non Z51 would be cleaned the same amount of time depending on driving and weather conditions.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=kp;1590642106]Its 'feels' smoother in tour than the non-mrc base but it also feels more controlled. I'm not sure why the 18/19" tire combo isnt available with the mag ride, seems that would be softest ride. I assume the Z51s with MRC have a rear sway bar and stiffer bushings, this sill doesnt have a rear sway bar so I assume no other Z51 suspension parts as well. Wonder how the '15 ZF1 cars with the 19/20s and regular base suspension ride ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________ Somebody on the forum reported that they couldn't feel the difference between base 18/19" tires and 19/20" ZF1 tires. I was skeptical, But sounds like maybe they were on to something. I'm with you on 18/19" tires should be smoothest ride and should have been offered. If for no other reason than all season runflats are available in those sizes. A big benefit for those who live in a cooler climate and want to take a drive on a nice winter day. Enjoy your new car and thanks for the review.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
First congrats on your 2016 AW coupe! Would you trade up again or would you have kept your A6 2014 original car. I have a 2014 A6 Z51 MRC 3LT and I am always thinking of upgrading if the right car is out there. Is the A8 tranny much different than the A6 tranny. Thanks Dave
The '14 I had was pretty plain, if it was a 2LT + Z51 with MRC I probably would have held on to it longer.

I like the newer infotainment, front camera, hatch pulldown etc, if it was just for the A8 over the A6 I would have to say no. My main complaint with the A6 is the large gap in ratios, not its shifting speed really. Overall its really the same car with a few more gadgets, at this point you may as well wait for a horsepower bump unless you want out before the 3/36 is over.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Kp I have a 2014 Z51 and yes I do get lots of brake dust but I clean my wheels with a detail spray and microfiber cloth about every 3 times I drive the car which takes me 5-10 minutes. The BRAKE DUST does not affect the rest of the car so I am sure both a Z51 and non Z51 would be cleaned the same amount of time depending on driving and weather conditions.
My '12 GS after a week (I daily drive them) the wheels were covered with brake dust and looked bad but the car looked OK. It was bad enough I switched to ceramic pads. Could do the same for a Z51 I guess but the non-Z51s have those nifty non-rusting rotors too.

I would spend exactly zero hours wiping the wheels off except when I wash the car, they get washed when the car gets washed
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Is the magride at ridiculous cost of 3500 worth it?

I had been waiting for GM to release the MagRide as a separate option and then they charge that for it.

Get notified of new replies

To New 2016 non-Z51 with mag ride delivered today - quick review

Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kp
The '14 I had was pretty plain, if it was a 2LT + Z51 with MRC I probably would have held on to it longer.

I like the newer infotainment, front camera, hatch pulldown etc, if it was just for the A8 over the A6 I would have to say no. My main complaint with the A6 is the large gap in ratios, not its shifting speed really. Overall its really the same car with a few more gadgets, at this point you may as well wait for a horsepower bump unless you want out before the 3/36 is over.
Thanks for the advice I will wait for a horsepower bump before I make a move even though I don't track the car THE HP BUMP IS GOOD FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

I would however like to get a used one of these!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 10-06-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kp
My '12 GS after a week (I daily drive them) the wheels were covered with brake dust and looked bad but the car looked OK. It was bad enough I switched to ceramic pads. Could do the same for a Z51 I guess but the non-Z51s have those nifty non-rusting rotors too.

I would spend exactly zero hours wiping the wheels off except when I wash the car, they get washed when the car gets washed
I like your style about the wheels get washed when the car gets washed but I am to obsessed with keeping my wheels clean that the car never catches up to the wheels when it needs to be washed .I clean the wheels about 10 times for every 1 time that I detail the rest of the car.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Is the magride at ridiculous cost of 3500 worth it?

I had been waiting for GM to release the MagRide as a separate option and then they charge that for it.
If you want the Z51 wheels and spoiler - maybe. ZF1 was 2 grand if I remember so you are paying 1500 more for MRC,

Not sure if the NAV/PDR is worth it either, except for the little speed limit sight that pops on the HUD.

Quick Reply: New 2016 non-Z51 with mag ride delivered today - quick review