Sponsored by:

Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration

Ok - please be kind all, need some advise. The one thing that has always annoyed me with RWD is that, at times, it feels like there is the delay between press pedal and go. I got the vette because it has a lot of power and its light for a sports car.

I feel like the car either is very lax or I have to really push it then its like I am racing.

Some rare times I can hit the pedal just right and its like the car moves with effortless grace (15-40mph range) like it has power and it needs next to nothing to move like a cheetah.

My question is this, is there something I am doing to cause this? Is it heat soak or to much AC blowing? Have I become use to the power and no it feels less now? I know this is all very subjective. I just feel like there are times when I accelerate its like pure class and it takes nothing for the vette to move through traffic and some times it feel like I have to kick it harder then I think it needs.

Any suggestions? At times it feels, to me, like maybe the gas pedal is to stiff. I don 't know.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

Could it be the driving mode? I use sport most of the time.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:52 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Is the traction control light on dash coming on when this is happening?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

No, nothing instrument wise to make me think there is a technical issue.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm sure it's just the designed in "slow ramp rate" of the drive by wire system.

Have you tried it in Sport or Track to see if it feels the same?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

I 99% of the time drive in Sport. I'm going to try track tonight to compare.

It's just weird because at times its effortless grace and some times it feels like beating a tired horse.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I take it you have an automatic? I have not noticed any hesitation with my M7.
The following users liked this post:
DeStreGa5 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

A8. It's weird, don't know what to call it. I don't feel like its hesitating, so much as at times its take less to get it moving then others. It comes off as effortless grace when its fine and having to floor it some when it doesn't. I never feel like its holding back, more like its not sure how much pedal it wants? I's like at times I have a stiff pedal.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucealeg
A8. It's weird, don't know what to call it. I don't feel like its hesitating, so much as at times its take less to get it moving then others. It comes off as effortless grace when its fine and having to floor it some when it doesn't. I never feel like its holding back, more like its not sure how much pedal it wants? I's like at times I have a stiff pedal.
Get a manual!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Probably emission system related. You could go to the dealer and check for codes. With all the sensors, probably something you will be living with. Driving rental cars like I do, some just don't perform.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Initially, I felt the same way about my late 2014 A6 with respect to off the line response and here I'm speaking only of street driving in normal traffic, not trying to show off at a stop light, something I don't do anyway.

For whatever reason, the sluggishness I felt went away pretty quickly and I am completely satisfied with the throttle response at any rpm. Don
Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

It's really Physics. When you give you car gas with a rear drive car there is a time delay from the time the engine torques and it moves thru the drive shaft out the axles to the rear wheels. There's less distance to go in a FWD car but there's always a delay. If you don't believe me watch some drag racers especially. You'll see the front end rise and the back end seat down....it's simple torque motion. The funny car & pro stocker's set their suspensions to minimize this. However it's still there. Most people don't notice it but that's the bottom line.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Try driving in manual mode. And add track mode to that, should get you going nicely.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I'm sure it's just the designed in "slow ramp rate" of the drive by wire system.

Have you tried it in Sport or Track to see if it feels the same?

I think that's true. I recall seeing a thread about reprogramming the throttle response curve. I think the standard ramp rate was intentional for easier driveability.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
It's really Physics. When you give you car gas with a rear drive car there is a time delay from the time the engine torques and it moves thru the drive shaft out the axles to the rear wheels. There's less distance to go in a FWD car but there's always a delay. If you don't believe me watch some drag racers especially. You'll see the front end rise and the back end seat down....it's simple torque motion. The funny car & pro stocker's set their suspensions to minimize this. However it's still there. Most people don't notice it but that's the bottom line.
Hmm. There is some slip in a torque converter but the amount in a clutch, or angular twist in the driveshaft, or the nonexistent time it takes for meshed great to transmit torque would not be detectable, IMO. Granted in a ProStock drag car the front lift does take a small amount of time but not significant in a Vette, IMO. The OP is probably defining the fly by wire throttle nonlinear difference between the gas peddle and throttle built in by GM. That assumes there is noting wrong with his car.
Simple solution, which he defines works, push the peddle further. He can also get a tune or can buy a device to put in the electrical connector to cause the throttle to open more quickly.
Just my thoughts.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Brucealeg
Ok - please be kind all, need some advise. The one thing that has always annoyed me with RWD is that, at times, it feels like there is the delay between press pedal and go. I got the vette because it has a lot of power and its light for a sports car.

I feel like the car either is very lax or I have to really push it then its like I am racing.

Some rare times I can hit the pedal just right and its like the car moves with effortless grace (15-40mph range) like it has power and it needs next to nothing to move like a cheetah.

My question is this, is there something I am doing to cause this? Is it heat soak or to much AC blowing? Have I become use to the power and no it feels less now? I know this is all very subjective. I just feel like there are times when I accelerate its like pure class and it takes nothing for the vette to move through traffic and some times it feel like I have to kick it harder then I think it needs.

Any suggestions? At times it feels, to me, like maybe the gas pedal is to stiff. I don 't know.
Is this happening from a dead stop or when you are moving?
If the latter I would say the delay is in the downshifting.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:16 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Have you tried adding a DS iTunes with adjusted throttle response. I found 15% increase was a big improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To Acceleration

Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd say what the OP is feeling is lag time between pressing the pedal and the throttle responding under computer control. My C4 has a cable operated throttle and feels far more responsive than my C7. Even sitting still and revving the engine is different. Call it lag time, ramp time, whatever, the throttle by wire isn't the same as cable or linkage throttles. Likely its ramp timing to make the car as tame as a family car when driven with a light foot.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:54 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

From my personal experience with my Vette I thought some of the same things as OP.

For me its is:

Sport or Track mode.
TC off (hold down TC button until both TC off lights come on dash).

Tons of wheel spin and it feels much more like an untamed animal I don't need no stinking nannies!!!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Brucealeg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carvin
Is this happening from a dead stop or when you are moving?
If the latter I would say the delay is in the downshifting.
It's from a dead stop and if I need to move when doing say 20-40. From a stop it feels a little like what some are saying with throttle response. On the 20-40MPH I think its transmission. If the A8 was already in a decent gear its off we go, but I've noticed that i might be in 7th and not quite doing 40. Long and short, minus load of testing, is I think that is me not be in the gear I would prefer.

Based on comments here I drop drove into work in sport, like normal, but I 1) when in auto used the paddles to drop gear just before I moved and 2) tried driving several miles in manual mode. Either seemed to have a huge impact in the 20-40.

I think I have a rhythm to it now, but I think I might need a tune to make things perfect.

Does anyone else feel like the gas pedal is pretty stiff? I don't know why I feel this way, just feels stiff to me.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Bruce

Quick Reply: Acceleration