My experience with a 2015 Corvette A8 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:49 PM
HopeFails
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with a 2015 Corvette A8 Z51

To Whom It May Concern/Help:

I used this site to read up on Corvette news and opinions of the new generation C7. I owned a C6 for many years and enjoyed it. I sold that car for a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. I truly loved the Cadillac. The new Vettes came out, so I waited for a year to purchase one, waited until any of the problems were fixed. Spent time on this site reading opinions and problems, basically doing my homework, before purchasing this vehicle. I'm a driver, and it's one of the few things I do with my free time. I put roughly 20,000 - 30,000 miles on a car a year. The CTS-V that I came from was bullet proof. It had a few small issues that are common to them. Squeaky Ricaros, squeaking front shocks, but I put 25,000 miles on it in 1 year without a hitch, tires, maintenance, and down the road I went.

I purchased a beauty of a 2015 2LT Z51 A8 in Blade Silver with all the options that I wanted on it. PDR, Mag Ride, everything but a few small options that I didn't need.

I've had the vehicle for 1 week. I put 1,000 miles on that week. Mostly freeway and business trips. Nothing long / hard on the car at all. No spirited driving as it's all in town / busy city. Here's the description of my one week of ownership:

Oil Cooler Oil Leak - Went into my garage and saw fresh oil. Looked under the car, and sure enough, the oil was coming from what appears to be a faulty gasket for the oil cooler (being diagnosed as we speak).

Center Vent Rattle - Seems like it's a common issue, when I took it into the shop, explained, they are fixing it.

Rear Speaker? Squeak from HELL - When it's warm out it squeaks and squeaks. Ambient temperature has dropped in the area, and dealer can't duplicate the problem. I'll video it next time. Pretty much the worst squeak I've ever had a vehicle do.

Roof Panel Squeak - Ehh.. had a slight one in my C6, only happens to me when the body is being torqued from bumps/corners

LIGHTS GALORE - Turned on the car one afternoon, after I washed it. Every single light in the dash was on. No oil pressure was registering. Doors were open (wern't), TPS was needing service. Turned it off, closed the door, locked it. Came back and turned it on, seemed to fix itself.

Dash - Didn't need that anyways. Driving down the freeway on evening. Galaxy was synced and playing music through my phone. It told me I had every message ever come in. Anything that was in my messages, it stated was new, and started to display them in the cluster. Then, the entire dash turned completely off for roughly 4-5 minutes. No HUD, no speedometer, ect... Felt like I was in a dark cockpit entering enemy airspace. The system reset itself? and it worked fine after.

Engine Covers Flaking Paint from the engine covers on wording CORVETTE is flaking. Not a big deal, engines get warm. Being replaced

eLSD Error Message - Can't remember the exact message. Threw it up while on the freeway. Disabled eLSD. Service required. Then a mile later, disapered. They're looking to see if it has any codes.

I live in Phoenix, so a winter car isn't needed and I put on enough miles, I might as well enjoy what I'm driving. But now my car is out of order for a day or sow. Basically. It's Friday night, and plans for the weekend are shot, which included going on a small day trip out of town in the car.

I hate complaining and try to be as understanding as possible when it comes to things. I know things break. Things happen and get worn out. But, I've had these issues in a week of owning a car that I've been looking forward to having for quite some time, puts a little bad taste in my mouth. I miss the CTS-V currently, and didn't think I would state that, nor need to.

I do love the car. It handles amazing (from what I've seen so far, as I haven't put it through its paces). It's beautiful. I seriously smile every time I see it. I waited for a 2015 thinking the '14s would have the issues, and they'd be ironed out, but I was wrong.

I guess the point of this post/rant is if anyone out there is thinking of doing the same thing as me. Maybe hold off a little longer to figure out some small issues that need to be addressed. After one week of my car, I'm without it 2 days already and probably won't have it for the weekend. What's going to happen in the next 51 weeks? Maybe nothing, maybe everything. /rant

Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That sucks. I applaud your level headedness and I really hope they get it working right for you. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
DAC17 (10-10-2015), HopeFails (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

welcome to the club ! members here care I assume ... I do hope things work out ..

GM could care less...

One question ..did they at least give you a Vette loaner car ?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 PM
HopeFails
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
welcome to the club ! members here care I assume ... I do hope things work out ..

GM could care less...

One question ..did they at least give you a Vette loaner car ?
They did not. It was supposed to be only one day to repair, as I was assured it was going to be fixed and parts for oil leak in stock. Was wrong. Waiting to see if they can get me something for the weekend.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:04 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

PS years ago I had a gm junk ...lemon ..brand new ..it leaked on my driveway ,,because the dealer could not even change the oil without screwing it up ...took him to small claims court and won ... $ 400 to clean and re-seal my driveway ...I felt good about that ..
Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

How nice ..salt in the wound !
Old 10-09-2015, 07:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Sorry to hear of all the problems you are experiencing with your Vette. It really is depressing as it is a dream car for many. I am one of the fortunate ones so far who has not experienced any problems with my 2015.
Not sure I could keep my faith in the Vette or even enjoy it if I had the problems you are dealing with.
I hope it all gets sorted out and you can fully enjoy your Corvette. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I to haven been little disappointed in QC of the new corvettes. I think its kind of a hit or miss thing. Mine hasnt had your problems, but right now its making a weird noise at certain RPMs. I also question certain materials in the cabin.

But i am getting 911 performance for half price, and one of the best looking cars for the money. When its running right, its a dream.

my advise, gotta take the good with the bad. you might have got a bad one.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Must have been put together on Monday or Friday. Glad you have a warranty. When everything is repaired and you have no problems, you will really like this car.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

You are having bad luck my friend. That's all.

All the things you mentioned can be fixed and you will enjoy the car. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,577 Likes on 1,645 Posts

With the exception of a hairline crack in the driver's door repaired under warrantee and some popping sounds as I raise and lower my convertible roof, my 2014 vert has been flawless, an amazing car. I hope they work out your issues soon...
Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Cscals17
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sucks to hear about those problems but if it makes you feel less concerned I had the same error code message come up on mine as well the second week i had the car and it went away and has not come back since then 6 months later
Old 10-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

With such a new car, all those problems happening so close together can be a real frustrating experience. Hope that your dealer can get things worked out with the car and you'll have many years of driving pleasure from it.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading things like this makes me slightly hesitant. Not about getting the car, but wanting to maybe wait a little bit longer in hopes they iron more stuff out.
HopeFails (10-16-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 AM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection someplace in the dash/computer in terms of the electrical gremlins. Sucks man, hope they can fix it for you, but probably means disassembling quite a bit of the car
HopeFails (10-16-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 06:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hope your issues are resolved. I do know from my past experience, by the fourth model year of the C6, "they" had designed new parts for the car, and worked out many/most of the problems. Of course, that car/generation is now considered a dinosaur on here. Good luck w. your car.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Did you buy this car new or used?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:35 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Sorry for all your problems with your car. Sure hope everything works out..
HopeFails (10-16-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 10:51 AM
DKD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the repairs and hopefully all of the repairs will be simple. Just in case look up your states "Lemon Law" and document all of the issues with dates, times, etc.
HopeFails (10-16-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To My experience with a 2015 Corvette A8 Z51

Quick Reply: My experience with a 2015 Corvette A8 Z51