Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Leather seats"....nope!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Nice post by the OP. Thanks for taking the time to share this information.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

So no real difference between "Napa" and "Mulan" leather in our cars?
Its all coated so the difference is marginal. Comp. seats are Mulan; GT seats Napa. Just how tough the covering is?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:29 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
That's a long explanation, but a needed one. I may not see real leather very much in cars, but I do know what "alcantara," "microsuede," and "bonded leather" are. And the last one is a bit tricky because it actually has some real leather pieces thrown into a slurry and then "produced." The first two do not, and most people know that, I hope.

I do believe, coated, vinyl-ized, painted or whatever else is done to leather and vinyl, there are products out now that help to prolong their lifespan especially from UV, drying hot sun, etc. And I think 303 Aerospace is one of them.
Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you're still out there with your usual good advice.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I, too, have only ever used a damp cloth to clean the seats after a good vacuuming and have often been flamed for it.

Ironically, a couple months after I bought my C7, I was washing it and had neglected to get the driver side window all the way up, leaving about a 1/4 inch gap. Of course I was surprised when I looked in after rinsing it and seeing a "puddle" of water in the driver's seat. It never soaked in and after much grumbling about how stupid I was, I took a large dry towel and soaked up the puddle and let the car dry in the open air and sun. Never had a problem with anything after that. That seat is still very soft.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I won't disagree with the OP because anyone who writes that much about something MUST be right....."
I thought it was JerryU at first.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
I, too, have only ever used a damp cloth to clean the seats after a good vacuuming and have often been flamed for it.

Ironically, a couple months after I bought my C7, I was washing it and had neglected to get the driver side window all the way up, leaving about a 1/4 inch gap. Of course I was surprised when I looked in after rinsing it and seeing a "puddle" of water in the driver's seat. It never soaked in and after much grumbling about how stupid I was, I took a large dry towel and soaked up the puddle and let the car dry in the open air and sun. Never had a problem with anything after that. That seat is still very soft.
Hi Norm, long time! Glad you didn't sit in a puddle. So, can you tell if you have the "super Mulan" or the "super leather"? Oh heck, it doesn't matter. It's a CORVETTE STINGRAY! Happy driving!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:41 AM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow- this was very interesting.
Thank you to the OP.

My 2005 Cadillac XLR seats didn't wear very well at all. Shale is a NIGHTMARE to maintain- shows every flaw since it's such a light color.
I had to replace the lower driver's side bolster at 49k, and the upper driver side bolster at 79k.

Wondering if the excessive wear was due to using too much leather conditioner? And as stated- this caused a sandpaper effect.

So what is the best way to stop wrinkles from forming?
Just wiping down with a wet cloth doesn't seem like it will be enough?
Old 10-20-2015, 02:46 AM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
Since they are not leather... can I spray them with Plasti-dip?????

Actually- there is a trick that a lot of Cadillac owners use to spruce up aging leather...it's temporary though (based upon wear)

SEM Classic Coat spray
http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-...classic-coattm

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...eats-20-a.html
The following 2 users liked this post by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego:
AORoads (10-20-2015), blkvet6 (08-31-2017)
Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Nice post by the OP. Thanks for taking the time to share this information.

BTW, a 1LT with cloth seats would be a good idea, more comfortable hot or cold without the add-ons of seat heat and ventilation.
The following users liked this post:
SRQ Vette (08-27-2017)
Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by fsvoboda

BTW, a 1LT with cloth seats would be a good idea, more comfortable hot or cold without the add-ons of seat heat and ventilation.
Actually, GM could go back to a cloth insert period on all trim levels and a bunch of us would be happy.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
I thought it was JerryU at first.
Nope, have no knowledge or have I researched the subject! However I do use Zaino cleaner and conditioner! On the wife's white leather seats in her X5 BMW SUV it cleaned the blue jean stain off her seat where the household product she tried did not! Guess I like the smell of the conditioner as I use in on the Kalahari 3LT Napa leather on the C7!
Admit I do like to write, apparently a few folks read and posting on the the Forum takes my mind off my real business, welding! 2nd welding book just published by CarTech Books!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-20-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Nice write-up, but nothing new IMO.

You can put a drop of water on a car panel, dash, trim, wheels, tires, glass, etc., and it will not penetrate/absorb, however, all benefit from some type of protectant, particularly with some type of UV formula. So why wouldn't the same work on the coated or faux leather?

I agree that a conditioner would probably be useless, but a certain type of protectant "might" be beneficial... or not.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by fsvoboda

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Actually, GM could go back to a cloth insert period on all trim levels and a bunch of us would be happy.
Absolutely! You and I have talked about that one before, Mikey. But then, that would be one more option/configuration that would fill the list of options.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree a protectant makes your tires, dash, trim, etc., look better and seem to make them last longer. However, the reason they don't seem to wear like the seats is simple....you are not sliding across them. Whatever you put on your dash, trim, etc., is not subject to the sandpaper effect. Think about it. I'd continue to "condition" or protect your dash, trim, tires, etc., as it makes them look better. Just don't do the seats.

All that is needed on the seats is a damp cloth with clean water. That is it!

Regarding the jeans transfer, you will not get nearly the amount of transfer if your seats have not been "conditioned." The oil in the conditioner or protectant acts as a transfer agent which allows the color ro transfer onto the seat. If you get this transfer, use your conditioner to remove it but....be absolutely certain to remove all of the conditioner before you sit in the seat again.

Personally, I use Woolite at 10:1 ratio to clean my seats. It has no lanolin or other chemical that will remain on the seat after washing but still does a great job at cleaning the seats.

Originally Posted by STStingray
Nice write-up, but nothing new IMO.

You can put a drop of water on a car panel, dash, trim, wheels, tires, glass, etc., and it will not penetrate/absorb, however, all benefit from some type of protectant, particularly with some type of UV formula. So why wouldn't the same work on the coated or faux leather?

I agree that a conditioner would probably be useless, but a certain type of protectant "might" be beneficial... or not.
Foosh (01-19-2017)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Agree 100%! In fact, both my Hummer and Expedition have cloth seats. It is all I ever want as they last much longer, take little to no effort to care for and are comfortable whether it is hot or cold outside.

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

EXACTLY! I'll bet you "conditioned" your seats...right? I'll even bet you conditioned them more and more as the wear began showing...right? This is exactly why they wear out.....conditioning them!

As far as the wrinkles are concerned....not much you can do about it. It is the vinyl stretching when you get in and out of the seat. Conditioning or not conditioning them has no effect on the wrinkles.

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Wow- this was very interesting.
Thank you to the OP.

My 2005 Cadillac XLR seats didn't wear very well at all. Shale is a NIGHTMARE to maintain- shows every flaw since it's such a light color.
I had to replace the lower driver's side bolster at 49k, and the upper driver side bolster at 79k.

Wondering if the excessive wear was due to using too much leather conditioner? And as stated- this caused a sandpaper effect.

So what is the best way to stop wrinkles from forming?
Just wiping down with a wet cloth doesn't seem like it will be enough?
05XLRtoC7_San Diego (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

naugahyde;

Originally Posted by from Wikipee
Naugahyde is a composite of a knit fabric backing and expanded polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic coating. It was developed by Byron A. Hunter, senior chemist at the United States Rubber Company. Its name, was first trademarked in 1936.

The primary use for Naugahyde is as a substitute for leather in upholstery. In this application it is very durable and can be easily maintained by wiping with a damp sponge or cloth. Being a synthetic product, it is supplied in long rolls, allowing large sections of furniture to be covered seamlessly, unlike animal hides.

A marketing campaign of the 1960s and 1970s asserted humorously that Naugahyde was obtained from the skin of an animal called a "Nauga". The claim became an urban myth.

Get notified of new replies

To "Leather seats"....nope!

Old 10-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Cloth seats.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:48 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
EXACTLY! I'll bet you "conditioned" your seats...right? I'll even bet you conditioned them more and more as the wear began showing...right? This is exactly why they wear out.....conditioning them!

As far as the wrinkles are concerned....not much you can do about it. It is the vinyl stretching when you get in and out of the seat. Conditioning or not conditioning them has no effect on the wrinkles.
Yes, I did condition them more and more (thinking this would be beneficial)- usually once every 2 months- and the problem just kept getting worse and worse.

Over 5 years of owning the car, I tried basically everything on the market:
*Leatherique prestine clean and Leatherique rejuvenator oil
*Mequiar's One Step Leather Care
*Zaino leather spray cleaner
*Zaino leather in a bottle
*Zymol leather cleaner
*Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner
*BooYah Clean Leather cleaner and conditioner

But the condition of the leather just kept getting worse and worse.

Several of the instructions encouraged the use of a light bristle brush to help remove contaminants.
For example: http://www.pinnaclewax.com/leatherbr...m_campaign=CSE

But I wonder if this just eroded the protective urethane coating away....which allowed more premature wear??
Safe to assume we should NOT use a leather brush?

I like your idea of using Woolite- very safe on the leather, and can lightly remove the dirt and oils.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Cloth seats.
Funny, have to remind two of my vegetarian, PETA supporter grandchildren that live outside of LA that my Street Rod interior, which is made from what is called "Ultra Leather" is made from Naugas but it's done humanely! Actually it is about the same price as leather and is very soft, like the best glove leather. In fact to make the matching flames to the exterior for the arm rests and headliner and some other parts the fellows that did the interior were going to have to split several hides.

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
naugahyde;

Took quite a few Naugas to make the interior, but I understand it's done humanely!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-20-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Mike Mercury (10-20-2015)

Quick Reply: "Leather seats"....nope!