Potential buyer with a few questions from current owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:45 PM
95bat
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Potential buyer with a few questions from current owners

Hi everybody,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I'm finally at a spot in my life where I feel like taking a risk and buying a Corvette. I love fast sedans, never had a fast 2 door sports car. I have wanted a Corvette since I was about 6 years old. I plan on using it as my daily driver. I really don't know if I will like it as a daily driver (especially since I am 6'2 and about 260 lbs), but I don't want to regret never buying one so here I am with a few questions. I am in a small town and can't test drive a car (have to order one) so I don't know what to expect.

I want to buy a 2LT, Non-Z51 car. Pretty much standard options from what I've read about here. 8 speed auto, magnetic ride, performance exhaust, and PDR.

First, what kind of difference in ride quality should I expect? The city I live in has horrible roads. They gave up on repairing them about 15 years ago and, despite paying our tags/taxes/etc, they just don't fix them. I am current in a 2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport. Does anybody have a comparison with a luxury sedan and the Corvette? The F Sport has a lot firmer suspension than the standard GS 350 so I'm hoping the difference won't be extreme. I know it won't float over the road like a S Class or Lexus LS, but I just don't want the ride to be so firm that it causes problems with the vehicle.

Also, how well does the AC work? We have 110+ degree summers and I need an AC that works well. My previous 2008 G8 GT had a TERRIBLE AC. If the car was ever in the sun the AC would not cool the car below about 80 degrees. It just didn't work. Dealer, of course, said it was operating fine. My Lexus AC blows so cold you'll have icicles hanging from you nose in minutes. Will the Corvette leave me freezing as well?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by 95bat; 10-19-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I'll be blunt. At your weight you definitely need to go and sit in one for at least 30 minutes. You may well find the seats a "bit snug". I believe in being honest.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 PM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The ride is surprisingly smooth especially if you choose the base model. better than my Porsches or Audi R8. My car is in FL and my GF is always complaining she's freezing if that's any help,(Do all women have cold feet or only the ones I date? LOL). Get the C7 Vette, it's truly an amazing sports car it does so much so well for so little money.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 PM
95bat
Burning Brakes

Oh I was worried about that too! I did sit in one at the dealership for a while, but was only about 10 minutes. I was surprised to find that I actually fit in the seat comfortably. Being a little tall it's harder to get in and out, but not overly difficult.

I think the car might make me get back into shape though
Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

You are doing the right thing by asking the question.

I own a 2015 Z51 A8 with MSRC, PDR, and competition seat. I use mine for performance driving and canyon drives on weekend.

I would highly recommend that you go to the dealer and make sure that the seat fits you okay. Since this is daily driver, it must be comfortable for you. I am 6'1 185 and I feel that it fits me okay but I don't think it can accommodate larger person (I could be wrong). For daily driver get the standard seats (not competition) as they are more comfortable.

Are you planning to track it on occasion? if not, do you really want MSRC and PDR? MSRC is harsh in sport and track mode. In touring its okay. Base standard suspension is soft and might be best for daily driver. I personally like the Z51 suspension.

I would get Z51 package if I was you since it would come with performance exhaust and many other things including better suspension, brakes, wheels / tires, dry sump, rear spoiler......Instead of paying for MSRC and performance exhaust, just get Z51 and it will have performance exhaust anyway.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 PM
95bat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AliZ51
You are doing the right thing by asking the question.

I own a 2015 Z51 A8 with MSRC, PDR, and competition seat. I use mine for performance driving and canyon drives on weekend.

I would highly recommend that you go to the dealer and make sure that the seat fits you okay. Since this is daily driver, it must be comfortable for you. I am 6'1 185 and I feel that it fits me okay but I don't think it can accommodate larger person (I could be wrong). For daily driver get the standard seats (not competition) as they are more comfortable.

Are you planning to track it on occasion? if not, do you really want MSRC and PDR? MSRC is harsh in sport and track mode. In touring its okay. Base standard suspension is soft and might be best for daily driver. I personally like the Z51 suspension.

I would get Z51 package if I was you since it would come with performance exhaust and many other things including better suspension, brakes, wheels / tires, dry sump, rear spoiler......Instead of paying for MSRC and performance exhaust, just get Z51 and it will have performance exhaust anyway.
I do not plan to track the car. I think the closest one is like 3 hours away.

I originally wanted a Z51 car, but I read somewhere on here that the base suspension with MSRC was softer/more comfortable than the Z51 cars. Is that not true?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I do not plan to track the car. I think the closest one is like 3 hours away.

I originally wanted a Z51 car, but I read somewhere on here that the base suspension with MSRC was softer/more comfortable than the Z51 cars. Is that not true?
I don't know about base MSRC since its so new but MSRC on a Z51 is much stiffer than Z51 without MSRC. I tried both and confirmed this with Ron Fellow instructors at the school.

Since you will not be tracking the car, I still think you would get better value in a Z51 but without MSRC and PDR. I never felt that there is a need to use my PDR unless I am on the track. These two items will pay for your Z51 package and you would get the performance exhaust anyway since its included in the package. Most important thing is that you go to the dealer and decide if the C7 is comfortable for you. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:41 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I'll be blunt. At your weight you definitely need to go and sit in one for at least 30 minutes. You may well find the seats a "bit snug". I believe in being honest.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:05 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
but my friend is 280# and he uses it as his daily driver.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:02 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
This is not a car you should order without getting in and out of a few times as some find that difficult. It is not a pony car it is a true sports car. But I must say that I'm on my 4th Vette, 3 C6s and now a C7. I too am 260 lbs and my last GS HAD 66,000 miles on it. Drove it everywhere fron the grocery store to the movies. 2,000 mile trips, 5,000 mile trips, 5 crossings of the Continental Divide. Just came back from a round trip to Road Atlanta. Very comfortable. Drive one and see for yourself.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:15 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

My wife's car is a '14 coupe, mine is a '16 Z51 with MSRC. I've driven both across country now, 4300 and 4400 miles after taking Museum delivery, so have a ton of seat time and can provide a direct comparison.

The coupe is noticeably softer, the Z51 noticeably stiffer, everything else being equal. Both are amazing road cars, and neither is uncomfortable for extended durations (even putting 800 miles in a stretch (mine) or running 19 hours straight (hers) on our bucket list trips).

The A/C works great, even in 100+ degree temps with ample sunshine beating down on the transparent tops.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:17 AM
95bat
Burning Brakes

Thank you everyone for the input so far! I will have to do some investigating and find a way to drive one. I am not too worried about my weight, I'm not a huge 260. I'm not the body type that needs to be 180 pounds. I look like an anorexic bobble head even at 200 pounds.

Any other input on the AC or ride quality?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Any other input on the AC or ride quality?
I've driven my '15 Z51 coupe on plenty of 100 degree days and the A/C has been great. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

As for ride quality, from the info you provided I'd say your choice of non-Z51 and FE2 (Magnetic Selective Ride Control) is perfect. That combo should give you the best possible ride quality available on a C7 Corvette.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:56 AM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the Base C7 with the the 3 LT pkg w/tunable exhaust. My wife and I have taken several long trips and we can attest that this is a great touring car! It is very comfortable and my wife prefers riding in it vs the Hyundai Sonata that we have. I bought the 7 speed manual and have recorded 25 & 50 mile segments on our trips that recorded AVERAGE mpg as high as 46 mpg! I now have over 34,000 miles on the car and the life time mpg average is 25.2 mpg! Handling is excellent and the ride quality is excellent as well. The air conditioner keeps up in our Florida heat. Unless you are going to drive it competitively, the base car will be just fine. Insurance rates are lower than the Z51 and oil changes are much less due to not having a dry sump! Best car I have ever owned!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:10 AM
HMA
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6" 270 pound and I live in Arizona so it get up to +100 in the summer. first ride quality is not good compere to any sedan. but I daily drive it and its fine with me. seats are little snag for me and that because i'm fat. AC is very good.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:48 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HMA
I'm 6" 270 pound and I live in Arizona so it get up to +100 in the summer. first ride quality is not good compere to any sedan. but I daily drive it and its fine with me. seats are little snag for me and that because i'm fat. AC is very good.
HMA, what color is your C7? I drive my C6 (avatar) to work in Tempe a few days a week.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:09 AM
HMA
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cauhauna
HMA, what color is your C7? I drive my C6 (avatar) to work in Tempe a few days a week.
Shark gray

Get notified of new replies

To Potential buyer with a few questions from current owners

Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Considering your basis for comparison (Lexus, MB) your biggest disappointment will be interior NOISE LEVEL. This can be mitigated somewhat by spending extra $ for other tires and full body insulation kit.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

If at a later time you have problems with your seat comfort, you can take your car to an automotive upholstery shop and they can remove your seat cover and put in some softer foam.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

From what you've stated, you probably want the softest ride C7. Get the base C7 and don't waste your money on the Mag Ride. The A/C works great. Get whatever other options you want.

Quick Reply: Potential buyer with a few questions from current owners