Sponsored by:

Rev match vs DCT

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 AM
1EasyStep
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev match vs DCT

I'm on the fence about what kind of transmission to get with my C7. I owned a '15 Mustang GT and couldnt master heel-toe so I decided I should probably just stick with automatic sportscars. I know the auto tranny in the C7 isnt a DCT but it's supposed to be pretty darn quick. However I am wondering if the rev match feature of the manual can sorta feel like a DCT since you can just slam the pedal and upshift whenever you want. I found a youtube vid of a C7 dragrace doing this and the shifts sounded as fast as a DCT, faster than what the C7 auto can do by itself.

Is there any comparison to be made here?
Old 11-18-2015, 06:00 AM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Rev match sux IMHO. If always over-revs the car when downshifting, making you look like a fool. I never use it and can drive the car much smoother without it.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:26 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Mine doesn't do that. It's smooth as glass. I have a z06, which supposedly is better at rev match than the stingray. If yours is a z06 you may want to see if there are any software updates for it.

Last edited by ElCid79; 11-18-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I think the OP has a basic misunderstanding.

A DCT is not an automatic transmission. It is a manual transmission with two (dual) clutches. It is computer controlled, and offers a sort of automatic mode.

The auto in the Vette is a true automatic with a torque converter, just like grandpa's but with 8 speeds vs the 2,3,4,5, or 6 of the past.

The 7 speed manual is a do it yourself manual. with a clutch pedal. It in no way feels anything like a DCT... The 8 speed auto does...

With the manual, you CANNOT just keep your foot to the floor, and bang upshifts. (rev match only works on DOWNSHIFTS)

I've been driving and racing manual gearboxes for a pretty long time. I'm quite proficient at the double declutch gear changing process. (heel and toe, which is a misnomer)

Having has my M7 C7 for a whopping 2 days now...lol Rev match sounds cool. but doesn't seem to have a lot of value for street driving. I haven't hit 500 miles yet, so I'm restricting my self from the upper rev range, so my opinion may change.

But so far, I'm better than it is, at knowing what I want, and when I want it..., But it does sound cool....lol
The following users liked this post:
LuckyGuy (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Sir, if your thinking that Rev Match is a cure all for not being very good with a manual [no offence], then you are mistaken. Rev Match only enhances your ability slightly, you still need to shift and use the clutch. For me, I don't use Rev Match because I can't stop using the gas pedal, no mater how hard I try not to use it with Rev Match on. I think your best bet would be to go with the auto. You can use it in auto mode or shift gears manually. Good Luck with your decision...
Old 11-18-2015, 08:08 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

The M7 rev matching was improved on the 2015 and later C7's. The 2014 M7 rev matching was poorly done and does over rev on down shifting. There is a software/hardware change on the 2015 to address this issue and it's not backwards compatible with the 2014's. Just one of those first year issues that inevitably crop up as GM ( and other manufacturers) engage in as they "street engineer" stuff as they get the start up bugs out.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

The Rev Match is a nice feature and works flawlessly. The more useful feature with the M7 is the no lift shift. Just keep your pedal to the metal it will hold the revs for you while you bang the next gear. You definitely need a bit of practice or experience with speed shifting to get it down, but it really gives the M7 another exciting way to drive your Vette.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 AM
CaptV1VR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

A DCT is not an automatic transmission. It is a manual transmission with two (dual) clutches. It is computer controlled, and offers a sort of automatic mode.

The auto in the Vette is a true automatic with a torque converter, just like grandpa's but with 8 speeds vs the 2,3,4,5, or 6 of the past.

The 7 speed manual is a do it yourself manual. with a clutch pedal. It in no way feels anything like a DCT... The 8 speed auto does...

With the manual, you CANNOT just keep your foot to the floor, and bang upshifts. (rev match only works on DOWNSHIFTS)

I've been driving and racing manual gearboxes for a pretty long time. I'm quite proficient at the double declutch gear changing process. (heel and toe, which is a misnomer)

Having has my M7 C7 for a whopping 2 days now...lol Rev match sounds cool. but doesn't seem to have a lot of value for street driving. I haven't hit 500 miles yet, so I'm restricting my self from the upper rev range, so my opinion may change.

But so far, I'm better than it is, at knowing what I want, and when I want it..., But it does sound cool....lol
Thanks for a nice job decoding
I have an A8 that works great with no regrets..
If I were planning on tracking the car on a regular basis I'd definitely have a Manual M7

Just my two cents
Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Get the A8.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Rev match allows you to accelerate faster after/during the shift, useful coming out of a turn. The procedure allows the engine RPM to match transmission gear selected. In reality, there is nothing gained during normal street operation (it is fun and sounds neat). Engine RPM is directly proportional to gear lever movement and clutch engagement. GM muted the engine's response slightly with the introduction of 2015 models.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

I was using rev match in the mountains on a narrow switchback private road. It works very well for what it is.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Active Rev Match works well when I'm being lazy, I love it. Very seamless system.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 AM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Rev Match works for upshifts as well as downshifts. The only way you can notice it working for an upshift is if you do a slow upshift. But it does in fact rev match for every gear you select.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Rev match is the best invention since the wheel!!

Last edited by C8-Vette; 11-18-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:43 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

It works on up shifts also!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Rev match sux IMHO. If always over-revs the car when downshifting, making you look like a fool. I never use it and can drive the car much smoother without it.
Yours is malfunctioning or you're doing it wrong.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^^ This.....

Get notified of new replies

To Rev match vs DCT

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

I will do a PDR later to show you.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Actually you can keep you foot to the floor. Right foot at least. Just be sure to start your no lift shift at around 6k for the 1-2 or you'll probably miss the shift. Can get closer to fuel cut off on the tach in other gears since things are happening a little slower...
Old 11-18-2015, 05:32 PM
1EasyStep
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that you dont know this is concerning. Either you dont know what rev match is or you dont drive a C7.

It sounds like everyone else is pretty happy with rev match in the '15 which is good. I know it is primarily intended to assist with downshifts but the fact that it works with upshifts is great for hard accelerations. I just didnt know how comparable the shifting speed was to something like say a PDK if your hand and clutch foot is fast enough.

Quick Reply: Rev match vs DCT