Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED bulbs in rear license plate

Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Sylvania Osram

Carquest sells these for the tag lights, put them in my '16 and 2000 vettes, no issues, almost $10 per blub, get a lifetime warranty
Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Ok, I just changed my name to Thomas, as in DOUBTING.

Please enlighten us as to what the hell code you get for running a different bulb. I'm always eager to learn even in my old age.

So, what's the code? I'd like to read up on it in my Helms for my car.

Oh dear God, I have replaced my OEM headlights with 6K bulbs! Will I throw a code in them too!

TIA,

Elmer
swapped mine in both the hatch and tag area without issue. I call BS.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 AM
cashcrew
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
swapped mine in both the hatch and tag area without issue. I call BS.
The dealer tried to blame my upgrades as the culprit for the C7 malfunctioning. Unfortunately, my upgrades have not a darn thing to do w/the "Low Voltage" problem the C7 is experiencing. It's a GM problem. Therefore, they are going to have to eat this one.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by cashcrew
The dealer tried to blame my upgrades as the culprit for the C7 malfunctioning. Unfortunately, my upgrades have not a darn thing to do w/the "Low Voltage" problem the C7 is experiencing. It's a GM problem. Therefore, they are going to have to eat this one.
Seriously, find a new dealer. LED's caused electrical issues? LED's draw less current than the stock bulbs. Almost all other lighting on the C7 is already LED. Your dealer is smoking Crack.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by dbdave
What code would it possibly be?
Delinquent electric bill ?
Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Seriously, find a new dealer. LED's caused electrical issues? LED's draw less current than the stock bulbs. Almost all other lighting on the C7 is already LED. Your dealer is smoking Crack.
Hey Mike, thanks for your input. I've turned the matter over to my attorney & he has addressed them on this matter. All of a sudden they can't stop kissing my butt. We already know it's a GM defect......their paying for everything. Its winter here in upstate NY. Therefore, the car would be in storage anyway. When I had my custom guy "Disconnect" all "Upgrades." The car still went bananas. The dash would not light up & when it did start, the gauges would go bananas, as well. I received a notice from GM, that stated some 2014 C7's may be experiencing a "Low Voltage" problem, thereby causing the driver to get "Locked in or Locked" out of vehicle. So, they pointed out you'll need to pull the emergency lever on the lower left hand side of the driver's seat, or use the hidden key on the fob & unlock it from the key hole above the license plate. I'm a die hard Corvette type dude....this is my 5th Corvette since high school. The C7 is the best Corvette built to date. I love all generations, but, this one is the best to date. And as we all know, the 1st year of any new generation......there will be "BUGS." I still stand by the "ONLY" recognized American made sports car.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2016, 03:21 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Ok Mikey, now you got jokes....F.O.L. (Fall Over Laughing). No, I pay the electric bill every month.......
Old 02-06-2016, 03:22 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Hey Mike, thanks for your input. I've turned the matter over to my attorney & he has addressed them on this matter. All of a sudden they can't stop kissing my butt. We already know it's a GM defect......their paying for everything. Its winter here in upstate NY. Therefore, the car would be in storage anyway. When I had my custom guy "Disconnect" all "Upgrades." The car still went bananas. The dash would not light up & when it did start, the gauges would go bananas, as well. I received a notice from GM, that stated some 2014 C7's may be experiencing a "Low Voltage" problem, thereby causing the driver to get "Locked in or Locked" out of vehicle. So, they pointed out you'll need to pull the emergency lever on the lower left hand side of the driver's seat, or use the hidden key on the fob & unlock it from the key hole above the license plate. I'm a die hard Corvette type dude....this is my 5th Corvette since high school. The C7 is the best Corvette built to date. I love all generations, but, this one is the best to date. And as we all know, the 1st year of any new generation......there will be "BUGS." I still stand by the "ONLY" recognized American made sports car.
At least you are staying optimistic about it..
Old 02-06-2016, 03:34 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Oh yeah Mikey, when they hooked up the code monitor. It was showing a mad number of "CODES", which even the dealer said its impossible to have that many codes going off at one time. I let my attorney deal w/them because I'm not the most pleasant person when you **** me off. So, I had to step back & let my attorney handle the situation because I will flip the @#$% out on them. I'm not trying to get locked up, because by time I'm finished.....i'll be in silver bracelets.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Keep in mind that even though the Corvette C7 is "assembled" in the USA, many of the parts in the car are produced/manufactured in foreign countries.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Oh yeah Mikey, when they hooked up the code monitor. It was showing a mad number of "CODES", which even the dealer said its impossible to have that many codes going off at one time. I let my attorney deal w/them because I'm not the most pleasant person when you **** me off. So, I had to step back & let my attorney handle the situation because I will flip the @#$% out on them. I'm not trying to get locked up, because by time I'm finished.....i'll be in silver bracelets.
Believe me, I can equate. My '11 had serious electrical gremlins. The entire rear harness had to be replaced along with the one that ran under the car towards the front.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by FYREANT
At least you are staying optimistic about it..
Don't have much of a choice.....if I flip out on them; it's not going to end well for me. So, I turned the matter over to my attorney. We'll see if they pick up their feet?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Believe me, I can equate. My '11 had serious electrical gremlins. The entire rear harness had to be replaced along with the one that ran under the car towards the front.
The craziest part of all of this is, there have been no other reported incidents like this?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elmer
I replaced my license plate last year, much brighter and waiting on 2 more T10's for the trunk. $9 mod.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

2014 here chged out the trunk and the lic lights also with the LED. No problems at all. Robert
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
2014 here chged out the trunk and the lic lights also with the LED. No problems at all. Robert
Thank you for your reply Robert.......since my attorney has addressed them, my C7 will ready for transport back to the custom shop for re-connection of my upgrades. Plus, the new upgrades, by next week. Given the fact that I live in upstate NY they will have to flatbed her to the custom shop.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
I replaced the OEM w/ some T10 led, not problems at all 😎
Same here

Get notified of new replies

To LED bulbs in rear license plate

Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bluman
It doesn't throw a code but your OnStar report will tell you there's an issue with license plate bulbs.
that's what is happening to me
Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 PM
cashcrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by george vee
that's what is happening to me
I do not subscribe to any of that "On" this or "That." My C7 is a "Toy." I'm not paying anybody to listen to the radio. I don't need "Navigational" help because she stays completely local, plus I have an iPhone w/all that crap. I may have to pay TWC (Time Warner Cable), but, when I get in the C7......its about cruising. Besides, I have apps that allow me to download any music I desire, for free. I transfer it to the flash-drive and/or SD card......and I roll. If any of my brother/sister '"CORVETTE" owners wish these apps, holla at ya boy!!!!!

Last edited by cashcrew; 02-09-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM
fastgts
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
It doesn't throw a code but your OnStar report will tell you there's an issue with license plate bulbs.
Go figure - I replaced my tag and hatch lights with no codes thrown and nothing showed up on my monthly OnStar report.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED bulbs in rear license plate