Sponsored by:

I think a lot of people buy cars they can't afford

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:57 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by someday808
Just curious on your perspective.. what is your idea of a non crazy monthly payment on a $70-80K vehicle?
Answer to your question:

10% of your monthly net income (after taxes, after deductions).

$9000 Net income monthly after all deductions =$900

$3000 Net monthly income after all deductions = $300

Price of the vehicle is not a determining factor. It's the income that is the primary source of cash flow that should dictate what price of vehicle the person can afford.
The following 4 users liked this post by nmvettec7:
dvilin (11-28-2015), Never Settle (11-28-2015), owc6 (11-28-2015), SurfnSun (12-03-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:04 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

You have to ask yourself.....would Dave Ramsey approve?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:15 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Answer to your question:

Price of the vehicle is not a determining factor. It's the income that is the primary source of cash flow that should dictate what price of vehicle the person can afford.
Then based on your logic my $900 per month payment is not an issue.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:34 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I could possibly afford A Ferrari or maybe even A Lamborghini.Am I going to buy one?NoWay.
I believe it's the principle of the thing.I mean this 2014 C7 cost more than my 1st house.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 PM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Answer to your question:

Interesting, thank you for your take. I like hearing perspective as everything is relative..
Old 11-28-2015, 06:53 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by brandin10
Yes the novelty does wear off. And of course we are all programmed to want the next shiny model.
Not me, I'm still driving my old 1969 z/28. Antiquated? Yes, but she's paid for
Old 11-28-2015, 07:24 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
You have to ask yourself.....would Dave Ramsey approve?

Dave Ramsey provides some very good advice. It is basic advice. However, Dave Ramsey is a radio host and a journalist. Dave Ramsey is not a licensed financial advisor, and is not a Registered Investment Advisor with FINRA or the SEC or any state. Dave Ramsey is not required to take Continuing Education to maintain any securities licences designated by FINRA, the NASD, SEC or any state securites departments.

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
If you have $9000 of monthly income after all taxes and required earnings deductions, yes; you can afford a $900 per month car payment and you would be considered a upper level wage earner. You have very good potential to build a high net worth over an extended period of time. Enjoy life. It appears you are a successful individual.

Originally Posted by thrilled
I could possibly afford A Ferrari or maybe even A Lamborghini. Am I going to buy one?NoWay.
I believe it's the principle of the thing.I mean this 2014 C7 cost more than my 1st house.
Your post makes me think that you have been a "saver" over a long period of time who most likely has built a nice net worth over an extended period of time also. The comment that your C7 cost more than your first house also tells me that most likely your age is in excess of 70 + years old. My parents first house in 1952, in a suburb of Chicago (Hinsdale) was $28,000. While prices of housing has gone up steeply since that time and are priced much higher today, so have wages to support the higher prices seen today. Also your post tells me your a conservative person with disciplined spending habits.

Originally Posted by someday808
Interesting, thank you for your take. I like hearing perspective as everything is relative..
Your welcome. I have advised many clients in my past 31 years as a registered and licensed financial advisor. I still carry my required licensing requirements with a major Wall Street national firm.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

If you make a net of $9000 a month, you should have a savings account built up and be able to pay cash!

Last edited by rkhegler; 11-28-2015 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nmvettec7 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

America is the greatest country in the world to live. These posts above are the best reason to have a financial plan in place during the younger years of life. Saving for the future is so important. Those who have worked hard and made sacrifices over a period of time don't have these problems. Good luck living in Vietnam, the Phillipines, Thailand or Belize.

No excuses to have to sell assets if one loses a job. You should have
never bought the car in the first place. Everyone needs to have financial reserves if life changing events like these take place. I really don't feel sorry for anyone in this position, as they have created the financial problems for themselves. Having a $900 per month car payment is crazy in my opinion for the sake of owning a C7 or any other car. I don't really care what anyone else thinks, but these episodes just go to show a lack of financial intelligence overall and very poor planning many years ago.
I do not agree.

First a Corvette that is not paid for is not an asset, it is a Liability. Even, like in my case where I owe way less than I could sell the car for. If I lost my job today, which is a real possibility given the current market conditions for off shore drilling, I could go for 6 months, miss no payments on anything. That is also with out touching any investments, just my savings account. That said, my Stingray would be for sale the week I got my pink slip. My and My wife 2015 Harley's would be for sale, and I put 50% down on each, so I would get money in my pocket from their sale. Then my only debt would be my mortgage, we would still have her Range Rover, my Truck, our 13, 09 and 03 Harley's and my 80 Corvette. I could then go much longer with no job. My wife only substitute teaches.

Answer to your question:

I am even more stringent on what my net is, as it's also after I max out my 401K which with catch up I put 24,000 a year in. I can clearly afford my car using you rule above. In fact 1000.00 a month or more would be ok. My note is 702.54 on my14 Stingray. I almost went with a 2LT vice the 3LT just so my note would be lower. It's only a 48 month note.

I also do feel very bad for any one being displaced by H1B visa workers. Those H1B visa workers come in at a much lower wage, displacing skilled and experienced workers. HIB is invading many tech areas, so the skilled workers especially over 40 have a hard time finding a job even close to what they were earning.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hope this thread don't turn into a political discussion and get shut down.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:26 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
If you make a net of $9000 a month, you should have a savings account built up and be able to pay cash!
I could pay cash but it is earning far more than the 1.99% my loan is costing me.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
antebellum
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

33, and lovin every minute of my c7!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:32 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry, I enjoy having my car and I will enjoy my next one when I get it in 18' on my 37th birthday. Hell, the car I got isn't even what I really wanted but it met my basic criteria and I knew I was only going to have it for 3 years anyway. I wanted it in the spring to enjoy all year and dealers had real issues back then with allocations. I pulled the trigger knowing it was only a short term ownership and I wanted a Vette.

If you plan ahead and know what you want to do, what's wrong with leasing or paying short term on a purchase?? I know my money can make better than the 1.74 rate I can get. The car has a pretty outstanding residual value if you do a 5000 or 7500 mile a year lease and I can flip it when I want to. I live in a 2 1/2 driving season per year state, love auto crossing and tracking and my payments are well under control if 10% is the bench mark for your payment to income ratio. All of them fall under that combined actually. Not to mention that if the world really crashed on me, I have several avenues of disposition of any and all vehicles if the atomic option was necessary.

I guess I really don't understand all of the critical judgement when you really don't know anyone's situation but your own. If that's what makes you feel good, so be it. I'm comfortable with my situation and knowing my only real worry is finding the fastest 200 TW tire I can find to stay ahead of the competition.

Not to mention that my kids love having the car and my 5 year old gets to cruise around with me like I used to with my dad in his 69' stingray. Sometimes you have to live a little.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HIHO
What do you consider "older folks"?
I have a 2015 Z51 vert and a 1989 coupe which I a/c with. I have no problem getting in or out of either one. Of course I am only 78, so maybe I do not qualify as " older folks" yet.
We're not far behind you. My wife has 2 replaced knees and I've had both knees worked on. We're on our 7th Corvette which is an automatic. Sure, we have difficulty getting in & out but that only slows us down a bit. We just plan on going farther each time we drive and we don't park close to the curb to minimize exit height. Your 1989 would be difficult for us to get into.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Brio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
That is putting it mildly, $780.00 a month for a car payment is crazy.
Crazy compared to what? Your head will likely explode when I tell you I bought a new Z06 and financed the entire purchase. Paying 1500/mo at 2%.

I am 32 and no it's not parents money. Got out of residency 2 yrs ago. The car payment is less than 3% of my monthly income. Could've paid cash but with money that cheap, why? Using the money instead for real estate investments/development.

Every person/situation is different. You can't generalize.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

[B]Your post makes me think that you have been a "saver" over a long period of time who most likely has built a nice net worth over an extended period of time also. The comment that your C7 cost more than your first house also tells me that most likely your age is in excess of 70 + years old. My parents first house in 1952, in a suburb of Chicago (Hinsdale) was $28,000. While prices of housing has gone up steeply since that time and are priced much higher today, so have wages to support the higher prices seen today. Also your post tells me your a conservative person with disciplined spending habits.
I'm over 70 and my first house cost less than $20,000 so a lot depends on where you choose to live. I'd have a hard time buying any new car costing less. I sold my 4 year old house in the 1980's for what my C7 cost.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:18 AM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If we're talking age I'll be 69 next and I am in the process of buying my 69 convertible back that I sold in 2012. I will have my 69 to celebrate my 69 with.
And I still modify and pound on them.
The following users liked this post:
Glen e (11-29-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To I think a lot of people buy cars they can't afford

Old 11-29-2015, 10:21 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

For those describing people upgrading, I'm seeing as many, if not more Z06s for sale as base/Z51 vettes.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I could pay cash but it is earning far more than the 1.99% my loan is costing me.
True, but it would not be hanging over your head. And, you would not be upside down if you crash the car.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

it seems the thread has taken a turn into judging whether or not peoples financial standing dictates if they can afford a car of this magnitude, which in most cases turns personal and is all relative. IIRC, the OP was trying to guess as to why he/she sees a lot of C7s show up for sale in the forum shortly after purchase (low miles, etc)

not being able to afford is one assumption..

bored of the car is another assumption..

I think there were a few more..

Quick Reply: I think a lot of people buy cars they can't afford