C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:39 PM
foursail
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

After lots of research –including much reading on this forum – I have decided to purchase a new C7. Due to some special financing I can’t pass upI will need to make an in stock purchase next. Narrowed it down to a few cars though stillnot decided on Z51 vs Base despite all the good advice on this forum.

My question is this –how important is it to purchase the car where I plan on getting it serviced? My concernis if I have big problem with the car (unlikely, but some apparently have) will it significantlycomplicate a resolution if the dealer I purchased from is another state 4 or 5hours away? From readings I get theimpression its common practice to purchase from distant dealers – just wonderingif anyone ran into problems going this route.

BTW, the 2 dealers I’m consideringare Kerbeck and MacMulkin. Kerbeck iscloser in the same state but might not have the configuration I’m looking forif decide on the Z51. Also, afterspeaking with reps from both it seems like the posted price is the price – is thatthe case?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Popular Reply

12-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
Just for sh*ts and giggles, I pulled my Kerbeck buyers order to see what all of these "extra fees" are that they charge. Here is the breakdown:

The price of the car
State Sales Tax (required by states that charge sales tax)
NJ Supplemental Titling Fee (required by the state of NJ for certain luxury cars)
Registration Fee (Required by your state when registering your vehicle)
Doc Fee (Kerbeck charges these fees to facilitate the payment of sales tax and filing the registration and title documents along with costs of overnight delivery of documents)

That's it. No extra fees and by the looks of it, all of the fees charged other than the doc fee, you will need to pay either to your dealer or when you register the car if your dealer does not register the car for you or pay the sales tax in your state for you.

Therefore, unless I'm missing something, Kerbeck doesn't charge any outlandish fees that other dealers don't charge and for $379 when spending between $60,000 and over $100,000 for a brand new corvette, I'm more than happy to let them handle the registration, sales tax and titling correctly when getting one of the best prices available on the car.
Thanks! I know that we don't charge outrageous fees. In fact, even when we have a second fee for out of state service agency, our total is still less than what some other vendors charge.

However, some of our competition have decided to make our "fees" a selling point to try to make their prices appear more appealing and I get that.

So, here's the deal. If you buy a car from us we will offer you the service of taking care of your titling and registration for you and will charge you the fee. If you decide you want to do your own DMV work, no problem there. We'll let you register your own car and won't charge you any dealer fees. Your choice.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No, in theory it shouldn't matter where you get your car serviced. I would say the more Corvettes your chosen service dealer has worked on, the happier you might be having your ride worked on there.

I've never dealt with either of those dealers, but generally I've heard nothing but good things about them. Someone will chime in. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 05:49 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

Bought my Z51 from a state 1,600 miles away. No problem getting it serviced back here in CA.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

You can get it fixed under warranty at any Chevy dealer, hopefully they have a decent Corvette tech. You may not get a free loaner though if you have to leave the car, that seems to be the thing dealers do nowadays. Last time I brought my '15 truck in for AC issues the first thing they asked was if I bought it there, I said no, and they pointed to a large sign that said no service loaners unless purchased there. They did give me a ride home since it had to stay overnight.

Their advertised price is usually rock-bottom, may be able to negotiate a little on shipping or accessories/add-ons. Never hurts to ask though

I bought this '16 from MacMulkin, hassle free and quick deal.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Both dealers are good, as for service you should have no problem getting it seviced from another dealer.
Good luck with your choice.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

If we're in the same state, it couldn't be too bad to bring it here if you need something major. You local dealer should have no issues with most things that you would need done.

Send me an email and let me know what you are looking for. I've got plenty more that are on order and not here yet that are not listed on our website.

Dave
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:52 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by foursail
After lots of research –including much reading on this forum – I have decided to purchase a new C7. Due to some special financing I can’t pass upI will need to make an in stock purchase next. Narrowed it down to a few cars though stillnot decided on Z51 vs Base despite all the good advice on this forum.

My question is this –how important is it to purchase the car where I plan on getting it serviced? My concernis if I have big problem with the car (unlikely, but some apparently have) will it significantlycomplicate a resolution if the dealer I purchased from is another state 4 or 5hours away? From readings I get theimpression its common practice to purchase from distant dealers – just wonderingif anyone ran into problems going this route.

BTW, the 2 dealers I’m consideringare Kerbeck and MacMulkin. Kerbeck iscloser in the same state but might not have the configuration I’m looking forif decide on the Z51. Also, afterspeaking with reps from both it seems like the posted price is the price – is thatthe case?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Most dealers will take care of your service requirements regardless of where you bought the car. That being said MacMulkin does not charge BS "doc" fees.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Never had an issue getting a loaner from my servicing dealer even though I've never bought a car from the dealership. G M requires them to do so for safety recalls or any warranty issues that cannot be corrected while you wait if it is safety related. As for major services paid for out of pocket, any dealer that doesn't is a fool.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ay-mike-f.html
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 PM
torchredz51
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've actually taken my C7 to 4 different dealers (trying to find one I really liked). They all treated me equally and honored GM's free maintenance and warranty and provided loaners (when needed) without any hassle at all. I don't think it matters one bit where you buy your car and where you have it serviced (completely different financial transactions).

Last edited by torchredz51; 11-28-2015 at 09:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by torchredz51:
foursail (11-28-2015), MikeyTX (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:54 PM
sailgunner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the best deal from the best dealer. I drove 1000 miles to buy mine. Kerbeck would not be my choice due to all their "rules" that end up costing more and their unwillingness to deviate from their rules. Put another way they are not user friendly.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The right hand (sales) does not talk to the left hand (service), so it does not matter one whit!

I have never bought a Corvette and had it serviced at that dealership. It's never been an issue.

To buy a car, develop a good relationship with the sales manager (or be a good negotiator), to service one, develop a good relationship with the service manager.

This philosophy has worked for me.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:24 PM
KDB0925
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased mine from MacMulkin in 2008 and have never had an issue with the dealer for service I use here in Raleigh. Their service folks have never made any noise about not having bought the car there. In fact, they are doing a courtesy delivery on my '16 that I ordered through MacMulkin again.

As far as Kerbeck or MacMulkin, I would recommend Tom and his team there at MacMulkin very highly. Easy to do business, no hoops (or rules) to jump through, no stupid doc fees, and the best price is a combo that's hard to beat.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by AeroJim
Most dealers will take care of your service requirements regardless of where you bought the car. That being said MacMulkin does not charge BS "doc" fees.
And the key word above is "Most" which is correct for some good reasons. Depending on where you live, there are some relatively small, older dealers that have built up a long, local clientele which they can barely service in their landlocked space. For that reason they have (and can) turn away biz even tho a dollar is a dollar.

There are good reports on the two dealers you wish to purchase from, but you need to assess your local situation with dealers, or plan on making a trip to Atlantic City, or elsewhere in your state which could be a town or two over from where you live.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Both dealers are good, as for service you should have no problem getting it seviced from another dealer.
Good luck with your choice.
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:21 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

If you live in NJ, it's a no brainer. Go with Kerbeck. I love these posts about "no doc fees" at the dealer in NH. They also don't register the car for you or collect and pay the sales tax in your state. If your time isn't worth anything to you and you like to have further aggravation after taking delivery of your brand new vette, then perhaps you may consider the doc fee that Kerbeck charges "BS" but otherwise, getting a great price and absolutely no BS period, Kerbeck is the way to go, especially when they are at most a couple of hours away from you in the event you have any major service issues.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:46 AM
Bob-USA
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

MacMulikn is first class and best price. I called Kerbeck but the more they talked about this that and the other, the price went up, fees for this and fees for that. I ordered from MacMulkin and took care of the registration tag and title in 30 minutes at my local tag agency / tax collector. No one was able to beat their deal, and they are the most professional dealer you will come across. It's your money put it in your pocket or put it in Kerbeck's. Dealer fees, and doc's are just pure excess profit for any dealer !
flby55 (11-29-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No, it doesn't. As long as you are happy with the deal and the way you are treated.
I would caution you to do a bit of research with the service people, service manager in particular, about how many C7's they service. I would want the service department to be up to date on all the service upgrades and oil changes, etc.
I have learned that no matter how good a deal you feel you made someone will post that they got it for $XXXXX and you got shafted, maybe not in those exact words, but the jest of the post will infer that. If you are buying local you may not get the lowest price but you won't have to fly somewhere and pick it up, of have it shipped. This is also good when bringing it in for service, and develops a relationship between you and the dealer for possible future purchases.
Good luck and enjoy the C7!
foursail (11-30-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 AM
AeroJim
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by direct007
If you live in NJ, it's a no brainer. Go with Kerbeck. I love these posts about "no doc fees" at the dealer in NH. They also don't register the car for you or collect and pay the sales tax in your state. If your time isn't worth anything to you and you like to have further aggravation after taking delivery of your brand new vette, then perhaps you may consider the doc fee that Kerbeck charges "BS" but otherwise, getting a great price and absolutely no BS period, Kerbeck is the way to go, especially when they are at most a couple of hours away from you in the event you have any major service issues.
You're right Mac Mulkin does not register your car or collect taxes. They do however give you a 20 day temp plate to get your home. They can't register an out of state car with your own states dmv and neither can Kerbeck . You live in jersey and that's the only reason they could do it for you! If you think that its worth $500 to get your car registered by Kerbeck instead of going to the DMV for an hour have at . Enjoy your Kerbeck Koolaid...
Old 11-29-2015, 09:34 AM
AeroJim
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by AORoads
And the key word above is "Most" which is correct for some good reasons. Depending on where you live, there are some relatively small, older dealers that have built up a long, local clientele which they can barely service in their landlocked space. For that reason they have (and can) turn away biz even tho a dollar is a dollar.

There are good reports on the two dealers you wish to purchase from, but you need to assess your local situation with dealers, or plan on making a trip to Atlantic City, or elsewhere in your state which could be a town or two over from where you live.
We use to have a Chevy dealer here on LI that sold a lot of Vettes (RAMP CHEVY) that has since gone out of business...They absolutely refused to service any corvette that was not purchased from them. They pissed off a lot of people but never changed their policy.

Quick Reply: Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?