Sponsored by:

Ethical dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Ethical dilemma?

Of course, in the theme of "you can't win", I stopped at work for 5 mins. on the way to a friends auto repair shop to have a code erased on my C7, parked in a permit only lot way away from everyone, and a woman managed to somehow back her suv into my driver's door. She was there waiting in her suv when I came out but said nothing, so wife and I got into our car and didn't notice anything. Before we left a witness came over and knocked on the window to tell us she'd hit our car. I think she would have left except for the witness and hoped I'd just drive away, but who knows.

She then got out spouting excuses but did apologize. I was polite and the damage looked to be just scuffs and maybe a paint chip. The witness commented that the door panel had popped back out (yea for composite resin). I got her insurance info and name and phone. Went to my friend's place where he polished it out and it looks good. No chip but there is a small spot where the flexed paint cracked a little. It is very difficult to see and some wax may make it even better. My buddy who does body work says it should not get worse and he doesn't recommend repairing it and I don't want to.

He wrote me a repair estimate for @$800 and encourages me to turn it in to her insurance. It doesn't seem right to do so for something so minor that I won't repair it. It would cost the woman her deductible and might impact her insurance rate, and it is Christmas after all, so I'm thinking to let it go. Yay or nay?

Last edited by Roadrogue; 12-19-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sounds like you've already figured it out...... if it were me, and as you described, I'd let it go..... tis the season.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-20-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially when you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
BRussell (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Well, the entire purpose of having insurance is to cover yourself if you do something bad in your car. You pay for it and have for years, she pays for it and probably has for years. This is what insurance is for.

I would get it repaired so it's the way it was before and not worry about how, or if it affects her rates. You don't know, it might not affect them at all, but this is why she paid for it. I wouldn't think twice about it, you're not being malicious, you're just doing what's right in getting your car fixed.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

'Tis the season, but she would have screwed you if it weren't for the witness.

Despite the current look, what if in the event 2 or 3 weeks from now the damage does get worse? The paint cracks more or peels. Whatever.

If you pass up the opportunity to serve her insurance company an honest claim now, you may be eating the repair costs later.

If her insurance premium goes up, too bad. Should have been paying attention to where the hell she was going.

You are way too kind to dumbasses.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 12-19-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Cauhauna (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
Sounds like you've already figured it out...... if it were me, and as you described, I'd let it go..... tis the season.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Well as you stated You parked away from the general parking spaces.........it was her who decided to park in the open area (next to you). It's just me but I go to great effort to protect my car, she needs to learn how to park her car. All that being said its your car and the damage how ever slight is on YOUR car. Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Given that she was a dick about it, I'm tempted to say do it. But it is wrong, and possibly fraudulent. So I'd say let it pass. MHO.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

If she was honest and upfront in the first place I might have second thoughts. But she was obviously hoping to get away with the little incident entirely.
I would turn in the claim and have the car repaired. It may or may not get worse down the road if you do nothing, why take the chance.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
If she was honest and upfront in the first place I might have second thoughts. But she was obviously hoping to get away with the little incident entirely.
I would turn in the claim and have the car repaired. It may or may not get worse down the road if you do nothing, why take the chance.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:30 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I have had cars hit in the parking lot more than once and they left.

One actually went so far as to leave a note, with a FAKE telephone number, so people would think they were doing the right thing. I called the number because they backed into my car with a trailer hitch and it went through the grille and bumper, and both had to be replaced.

However, I did have one person that left a note explaining that the wind caught their door and they were so sorry that it left a mark on our car, with a phone number. In that case, I also knew I would not paint the whole door to fix it, so I never called.
MACE_Hardware (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

100% do it...She should not get a pass/
Old 12-19-2015, 10:32 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The person who made the mistake should suffer any consequences and the original mistake was made by the other driver. If you don't turn it in and later decide you can't live with the damage or the damage does become worse (the hit was hard enough to flex the door skin as reported by the witness) then you will become the owner of the mistake. Turn it in.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Regardless of her motives at the time, I would turn the insurance claim in, now, because the damage may get worse, and then you'd get stuck with the bill. Or just get it fixed now, and then your car will be good as before she whacked it, and you can truly forget about what she did.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

She stayed around. Regardless of what we percieve she was going to do, that's speculation. If you had it fixed and you are happy with it, why persue further? It is the holidays and I suspect your not comfortable turning this in. I think you already made your decision, and I think it's a good one.

It should be noted that if you'd friend did not charge you for the repair, yet he wrote you up a fake bill, and you turn it in to your insurance company, it is insurance fraud. Both of you could be charged with this.

I'd also add that "just turning it in to her insurance company" may not be as straightforward as you think. You are not their customer and they will stall you for weeks if not months. I was hit years ago and the driver got multiple tickets and was clearly at fault. I turned it in to his insurance and after 8 weeks of the car sitting in the shop, I finally had my insurance cover it. 2 years later I got my deductible back.

Sounds like more down sides then up sides to turning this in. Also adds aggravation for you over the holidays.

I agree with those that say, its the holiday season. You are whole and I'd let it go.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

I would turn it into her insurance. She wasn't upfront and honest therefore gets no free pass.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
MACE_Hardware (12-19-2015), Scoobydoobydoo (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

If there was truly no damage then skip the insurance. However .. I had a hairline crack in the clear coat on my front bumper when I bought my car. I noticed it on the lot and dealer said they would take care of it. A body shop friend of mine recommended not to fix it and said it would not spread. But I looked at that spot on the car every time I walked by and washed it. If you don't have OCD and can live with it good for you. But I ended up having the entire front bumper painted and it looks perfect now. I don't see an ethical dilemma .. your car has damage, no matter how minute, and she caused it.

Last edited by dmhines; 12-19-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

She was there waiting in her suv when I came out but said nothing, so wife and I got into our car and didn't notice anything. Before we left a witness came over and knocked on the window to tell us she'd hit our car.

First I give you props for honesty, you and your wife sound like very reasonable people witch is rare in todays me myself and I world. I had the same dilemma an elderly couple ran into my 135I front bumper they came in the store to find me and promptly apologized and wanted to pay me for the damage (could not be buffed out light and bumper damaged). I asked them if they voted for Obummer they said no with a puzzled look, I said so you are not looking for freebies, and responsible for your own actions instead of blaming others and making up excuses. They said of course!! So I told them have a great day and thanks for your honesty, buy me a cup of coffee and we will call it even.

In your dilemma, she was not honest at all and should pay up. Her spouting excuses out shows she was not responsible for her action and the apology was not sincere.
MACE_Hardware (12-19-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Ethical dilemma?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
'Tis the season, but she would have screwed you if it weren't for the witness.

Despite the current look, what if in the event 2 or 3 weeks from now the damage does get worse? The paint cracks more or peels. Whatever.

If you pass up the opportunity to serve her insurance company an honest claim now, you may be eating the repair costs later.

If her insurance premium goes up, too bad. Should have been paying attention to where the hell she was going.

You are way too kind to dumbasses.
There MAY be the possibility (I don't know) that since the composite material buckled then popped out and the door caused a bruise that in the future due to weather conditions, environmental conditions, that area of the composite might suffer some stress and get worse.

Yes, it's the holiday and always nice to pay forward to others, but in the long run, collecting the funds from the person's insurance company would be the wise "business" decision to make.

Don't let the emotions of the holiday season ruin a wise business decision that you may regret later down the road.

It's your C7, do what you think is best.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 AM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Well your car is not in pre-accident condition with the minor damage. Therefore, get it fixed when you have the free time and hit her insurance for the cost. There's nothing "fraudulent" about it. I can give a crap about the "season" because she certainly didn't possess enough holiday spirit to be forthcoming to you. LoL!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

FWIW I would open a claim.

Don't sign release until you analyze the damage over time.

The paint is blemished, the composite stress cracked and inner door components possibly bent. $800 is an inexpensive body paint repair in my area. Watch for that hidden damage!

Ethics....."she" was the one not ethical.... by not saying anything or leaving a note and waiting for you to leave.

Plus she is a limited skill driver so a penalty may wake her up as an effort for her to pay attention and perhaps gain some driving skill.

Quick Reply: Ethical dilemma?