Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Applying Liquid Glass polish

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:34 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts
Default Applying Liquid Glass polish

Over the past several months, I have seen posts by several CF members who have used a product called Liquid Glass Polish. The reviews and feedback on the product appears excellent.

My question (as I have never used or bought this product) is how is it applied?

Do you it pour out of the can in a creamy liquid, then apply and buff, or is the product clear?

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Glen e if you see this post, your input is most welcome.

Popular Reply

12-20-2015, 09:20 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

The actual polish (in the can with the red Vette picture on the front) is a liquid cream, opaque light blue. It is more of a sealer than a polish, and the appearance of the completed finish is that common to sealers. The manufacturer says it can be layered. You can apply it with a hand applicator, or I use a 4" was/sealant type pad on a DA on a low speed setting. Thin is better, really thin is better yet. I let it sit about ten minutes and use a good, clean, soft terry towel to lightly buff it off with short straight strokes. It comes off with little effort. It is however difficult to get it all out of the pad afterwards during pad cleanup.

Of course as with any product prep is the key. The first time you use it you should do the whole wash, clay, paint correction routine. Liquid Glass makes a cleansing product to prep the finish for the actual polish. After applying the actual polish, their detail spray does a good job keeping it looking good, although the detail spray's odor smells a little like vinegar.

Although it is old technology, I keep coming back to this stuff. It has been around for decades and reformulated in the last 15 years or so. It performs just as well as the modern stuff I've tried, and the durability is good.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

The actual polish (in the can with the red Vette picture on the front) is a liquid cream, opaque light blue. It is more of a sealer than a polish, and the appearance of the completed finish is that common to sealers. The manufacturer says it can be layered. You can apply it with a hand applicator, or I use a 4" was/sealant type pad on a DA on a low speed setting. Thin is better, really thin is better yet. I let it sit about ten minutes and use a good, clean, soft terry towel to lightly buff it off with short straight strokes. It comes off with little effort. It is however difficult to get it all out of the pad afterwards during pad cleanup.

Of course as with any product prep is the key. The first time you use it you should do the whole wash, clay, paint correction routine. Liquid Glass makes a cleansing product to prep the finish for the actual polish. After applying the actual polish, their detail spray does a good job keeping it looking good, although the detail spray's odor smells a little like vinegar.

Although it is old technology, I keep coming back to this stuff. It has been around for decades and reformulated in the last 15 years or so. It performs just as well as the modern stuff I've tried, and the durability is good.
The following 7 users liked this post by pickleseimer:
dmaxx3500 (08-09-2018), Gonzo (10-16-2017), GregNYC (10-16-2017), LS WON (11-04-2023), mark9542 (01-20-2021), Mike Mercury (12-25-2015), nmvettec7 (12-20-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:35 PM
jacktucky
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to use that stuff a lot in the 90's. It was great but I always had wiper hop after using it. I never put it on the windshield. Not sure why.
The following users liked this post:
nmvettec7 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:48 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 783 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I also have always used liquid glass. Have owned Corvettes for 40 years. I mostly use their legend product ! Same stuff, but better. It's $100 per bottle but hell I spent 100,000 on the vets.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMills:
LS WON (11-04-2023), nmvettec7 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 10:17 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I just bought a can from Amazon. I plan to use it on my wife's RX350 and evaluate the appearance and longevity before I use it in my C7.
nmvettec7 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 10:27 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I just bought a can from Amazon. I plan to use it on my wife's RX350 and evaluate the appearance and longevity before I use it in my C7.
That a good call.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 913 Likes on 477 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rmorin1249

Do you still have your klasse stuff ? If you do , why not do a side-by-side test? Everybody has an opinion here , but no one ever puts the products side-by-side. Take your wife's trunklid, run a piece of tape down the middle and do each side. Give it a month /five weeks and tell us what you find.
The following 4 users liked this post by Glen e:
DAC17 (11-02-2016), LB001 (10-28-2017), ronkh57 (12-21-2015), Scoobydoobydoo (12-20-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 AM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Over the past several months, I have seen posts by several CF members who have used a product called Liquid Glass Polish. The reviews and feedback on the product appears excellent.

Do you it pour out of the can in a creamy liquid, then apply and buff, or is the product clear?

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Glen e if you see this post, your input is most welcome.
I also read a lot of great things about liquid glass - including from other Vette owners here and on detailing forums. I primarily use Griot's products, when self wash. I wanted something that would layer and could be used after every wash.

I also have extremely hard water. I use Griot's de-ionizer during spring/summer, and their spray on car wash during winter. Liquid glass advertises no water spotting when using their car wash over the polish, even with hard water.

I tried liquid glass on my 2014 Cadillac CTS v-sport. The car has deep black paint with very soft clear coat, and sees the worse of weather and roads in the northeast.

The stuff does go on and come off easy, even in the sun. The reflectivity and depth of color is amazing. However, it does not have great filling characteristics for swirls. Depending on light you may see them less or more, after applying it. Hence, you will want to clean, clay, and truly polish the car before applying the liquid glass. Their pre-treatment cleaner was not enough for my Caddy.

I still got water spots with my local water, but they wiped off and didn't swirl. You can also dry wipe light dust or residue without swirling the finish. I wouldn't do that as a regular practice on anything but a wrapped car

The clear coat also seems to hold up better to the local hand wash. No matter how careful their personnel or the lubricity of their shampoo, they are going to get dirt in their mitts doing tens or hundreds of cars and occasionally introduce minor swirls into your clear coat.

I also found the pre-cleaner and polish (it is more of a sealant) harsh on skin and foul smelling. I would suggest rubber detailing gloves and plenty of ventilation. If you have lots of detailing pads. I would use pads that will be dedicated to liquid glass going forward. I washed mine multiple times with Griot's pad cleaner, and while the "blue" coloring is gone except for few marks, the smell is still vaguely present.

I always use too much product, of any wax or sealant. I would emphasize less is more here more than other products, and rely on multiple coats to get full coverage. I would not do more than 3 coats, until are committed to the product.

While even dried on excess comes off easy, it will chalk up and leave a fine white powder. They also claim that multiple layers require special attention when doing repairs, and recommend using their wash to avoid "yellowing". I did three coats, and didn't see any yellowing when taking it through local hand wash twice now. I would assume after have full coverage that any yellowing is no longer a factor of number of coats. However, I would rather have fewer coats to polish through - if eventually do see any discoloration or want to change to different sealant.

I haven't tried it on my Vette yet. I liked the results on Caddy. I would have probably liked them more if had polished with random orbital buffer first. However, the effect on hands/noise, pads, an apparent need to commit to their system has me hesitant. If you don't want to, or aren't able, to polish out all swirls before applying liquid glass, then may want to follow it with a finishing wax.

The bottle says it is bio-degradable but doesn't state if PH balanced. The Griot's products are bio-degradable and PH balanced. Hence, they are storm drain safe. While most municipalities allow exceptions for run off from personal car or house washing, a PH balanced product is better for everyone and everything.

Last edited by dironvictorious; 12-21-2015 at 02:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dironvictorious:
Mike Mercury (12-25-2015), nmvettec7 (12-21-2015), OntarioOrangeC3 (10-16-2017)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7

Been using LG Polish for over 30 years with astounding results. I could give you many examples of the results but the best I have was my 2001 Ram 2500 I had for 14 years. Had over 70 coats of LG on it during the years I owned it. Lots of hard use much of it in the northern tier. Looked like a show truck when I traded it for a 2015 Ram. See photo below. One other small example was the Ram exhaust pipe. The pipe was unfinished stainless that was never meant to be polished. See the photo below of the pipe just before the truck was traded. I will PM you with my recommendations.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by BladeSilver2015:
LS WON (11-04-2023), nmvettec7 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I used Liquid Glass on my 79 vette in the early 90s and thought the product was excellent. The more applications the better it gets. If I remember correctly, back then the can had a picture of a red midyear on the can.
nmvettec7 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
The more applications the better it gets.

That is the key to using LG.
nmvettec7 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:15 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corgidog1

The more applications the better it gets.

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015
That is the key to using LG.
And apply it as thinly as possible.
nmvettec7 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Glen e
Do you still have your klasse stuff ? If you do , why not do a side-by-side test? Everybody has an opinion here , but no one ever puts the products side-by-side. Take your wife's trunklid, run a piece of tape down the middle and do each side. Give it a month /five weeks and tell us what you find.
I do as I just bought another bottle of AIO and Sealant. Like most of us, I have quite a collection of products as I also bought a bunch of Adams stuff with my gift certificate when I bought my car.

I will do a test on my wife's RX as it is about 7 years old but the paint is in excellent shape as it has always been garaged since new. Not sure when I will get around to it with the holidays but soon.

Happy Holidays to the C7 Forum!

Last edited by rmorin1249; 11-02-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:36 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer

I can attest to Ken's opinion of Liquid Glass as I've seen all of his Vettes and they are all immaculate and show room new looking. Like me and many other forum members, he has just about every wax, sealant and polish ever made and he told me he keeps going back to Liquid Glass.
nmvettec7 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

* For those of you interested in trying LG products, here is the best site I have found. They have just about everything you would want except the LG Legend and higher end products.

** Basic LG Polish (16 oz): $21.95

http://www.autobarn.net/liquid-glass.html

* For those of you that have a ton of money and want the latest and most expensive cutting edge products from LG, you can take a look at the company site and order directly from them.

** LG Legend Carbon PTFE: Total Appearance Kit is $199.95

* The following two products are for Oil Sheiks with Lambo’s and Ferrari’s. The story of how these products came about is interesting. They were derived from special work that Liquid Glass did for Ferrari in the past. The paint on new Ferrari’s was being badly damaged by severe acid rain in Europe while sitting in shipping yards. Ferrari was spending a fortune repainting these cars and wanted a product to stop the paint damage. Liquid Glass developed these products and solved the problem. They are well aware they are not going to sell much of this magic stuff but threw it out there for sale anyway.

** Carbon PTFE-6: Total Appearance Kit is $499.55

** Hydrophobic Carbon PTFE-6: Total Appearance Kit is $999.95

* Here is the LG website itself.

http://www.liquidglasspolish.com/

* Since I have had such good luck over the years with the basic polish and the fact that I am just a poor retired soldier, I have stayed with it!!

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 12-21-2015 at 02:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BladeSilver2015:
Mike Mercury (12-25-2015), nmvettec7 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

* For those of you interested in trying LG products, here is the best site I have found. They have just about everything you would want except the LG Legend and higher end products.

* For those of you that have a ton of money and want the latest and most expensive cutting edge products from LG, you can take a look at the company site and order directly from them.

* The following two products are for Oil Sheiks with Lambo’s and Ferrari’s. The story of how these products came about is interesting. They were derived from special work that Liquid Glass did for Ferrari in the past. The paint on new Ferrari’s was being badly damaged by severe acid rain in Europe while sitting in shipping yards. Ferrari was spending a fortune repainting these cars and wanted a product to stop the paint damage. Liquid Glass developed these products and solved the problem. They are well aware they are not going to sell much of this magic stuff but threw it out there for sale anyway.

* Since I have had such good luck over the years with the basic polish and the fact that I am just a poor retired soldier, I have stayed with it!!

Pretty expensive stuff now.

For those prices, I'd pay someone else coat the car.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:22 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Did this in June (or july) of last year with a $79.00 coating from Autogeek

This Is what it looked like a week ago with over 20k miles on it, with nothing more than some washes...

Mike Mercury (12-25-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Applying Liquid Glass polish

Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Started using Liquid Glass this year after reading about it on the car care forum. Easy to apply and remove, results are very impressive.
Purchase it on eBay and you will save a few bucks.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:46 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

I think I still have some. Gotta go look next to my leisure suit
z51vett (10-25-2017)
Old 12-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Did someone say Oil Sheik?

http://www.eshine.ca/polishangel_x_c...763.php?cat=11

Quick Reply: Applying Liquid Glass polish