Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I never get why people get upset if someone prefers a manual or auto. It's personal preference and that is it. We all just love Corvettes and in my local Corvette club we never look down at someone for their choice in transmissions. Seems juvenile.
I agree. I mean there are people getting butthurt over the fact that GM gave the new Camaro the same powertrain, unneutered, as the Corvette.

Every forum has "those guys", every single one. Luckily there are enough topics like these that "those guys" can't help but post in and they self-identify to the rest of the members.

EDITED TO ADD: Some people have way, WAY too much of their self-worth tied up into the things they own, so they'll crap on others' stuff to make themselves feel better.

Last edited by Cur; 01-05-2016 at 02:03 PM. Reason: And one last point...
Old 01-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Some of the reasons are just ridiculous-I especially like #4 where the auto is safer because you have more time to spend concentrating on the road instead of focusing of shifting-now you have a free hand to text, use your phone, hug your dog, fool with the radio, etc. etc.

Oh I feel like such an outsider when I drive my stick...
Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Your skirt won't get caught in the clutch pedal??

The following 2 users liked this post by 98Pace:
lancekl (07-17-2016), LSRX (04-21-2017)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

As expected, most of these are quite subjective. I won't argue with many of them, because they may be accurate for the majority of drivers out there. But then again...manual drivers aren't the majority anyway, right?

Teaching your child to drive a manual is an amazing bonding experience, and if they are 16, I HIGHLY doubt they will have no interest in learning to drive their father's Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
brandont619 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 01-05-2016, 02:31 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cur
Oh look another thread to debate (pissing match thread) for auto vs manual.... next up, convertible vs coupe, and Z51 vs non-Z51, C6 vs C7...
You forgot to mention red vs blue vs yellow vs white vs black. etc.
The following users liked this post:
Cur (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Who the hell comes up with chit like this?
Our esteemed "CorvetteForum Editor." Almost everything he/she posts is stupid, inane, or obviously intended to start arguments like this.

It's people like you that set these threads down the ugly path.
No, it's the person who started it (see above) knowing exactly what it would lead to.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 113 Posts

this thread has to be for the sole purpose of stirring the pot. the list is BS....those "reasons" are not vette-specific and it is the same old drivel. The C7 manual/clutch is no more of a "monster" in traffic than any other good manual transmission.

And I do live in a major city/area (DC) and do drive my manual in traffic, as I have done for 35 years, and I enjoy (almost) every minute of it.

The auto is fine for those who want it. The manual is fine for those who want it. It's sad to me that the take rate for the auto exceeds that of the manual by like 900%, but that's the way it goes. I bought a 2016 z06 instead of a 2016 CTSV since there is no manual option in the CTSV (I had 2 previous CTSV's all manuals)......
Old 01-05-2016, 02:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Our esteemed "CorvetteForum Editor." Almost everything he/she posts is stupid, inane, or obviously intended to start arguments like this.

No, it's the person who started it (see above) knowing exactly what it would lead to.
You're right. I guess we are all just feeding the troll editor. I also agree his posts seem to be on subjects that will start fires. I guess that is way to draw in more users.

Last edited by C7-Beast; 01-05-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I'll pipe into this thread, feeling qualified to do so having owned nothing but manuals for the past 35 years, but now have an A8 C7.

1. Traffic: I live in an area with some of the worst traffic in the U.S., but having a manual never caused me any emotional or physical trauma. Besides, I was always happier the more shifting I had to do.

2. Thrilling as a manual: I agree, and finding the right gear quickly is a matter of punching the throttle with no deliberation needed. To me this is the most compelling reason to own an auto tranny at this technological level.

3. Share the experience: Not going happen. They can share with someone else's car--and besides, it is an opportunity not to allow it.

4. Safer? YMMV, but I don't feel any more or less safe.

5. ...enables you to use the time you’d typically spend on shifting to appreciate some of the other great performance features of the car. Encouraging one to shift his/her attention elsewhere while driving is not a virtue, IMO.

6. Passing it down. I couldn't care less if they like it or not.

7. ...no longer feel like an outsider. Never felt like an outsider driving a manual. Rather, I felt like others were missing out on a great experience.

On the negative side, the added cost diminishes the virtues of an A8 quite a bit. I like to shift but have not been using the paddles and don't really miss shifting that much, yet on balance I would rather be shifting. If I sound confused, I am--and am not sure how I will feel about this in a year or two. For the time being I'm not sorry I spent the extra $1800 for the A8, but am still evaluating all aspects for future decisions.

Last edited by iclick; 01-05-2016 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by iclick:
funx600 (01-06-2016), Rapid Fred (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 03:12 PM
chi_stingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brandont619

3. It makes it a lot easier to share the experience of driving a Corvette with family and friends. - My family and friends are more than welcome to experience the fun of riding in a corvette while in the passenger seat. Also, I think it's a pro that not everyone can just hop into my vette and take it for a spin, especially if they don't know what they're doing.

My thoughts exactly. I've had people ask me to drive mine that I definitely did not want driving it and since it was a manual they couldn't.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:13 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I bought a Corvette 2 years ago on a deal...it was an auto, but I thought "maybe I can daily this and not have a problem with it"....nope...sold it a month later. Can't do it. Only time I'll own a Corvette with an "automatic" is the day it has a DCT in it, and I'll still own a manual with it.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-05-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:16 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by brandont619
3. It makes it a lot easier to share the experience of driving a Corvette with family and friends. -
A. I can share it just fine by scaring the hell out of them in the passenger seat
B. I don't earn/buy things for myself, so that others can have access to them. If my friends want a Corvette, they are free to go buy one. Two people are looking to buy as we speak because of me
Old 01-05-2016, 03:18 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Woodson
I'm all for everyone making their own choices, but the reasons given on that list are laughable.
And I'm a fan of the automatic.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

He sure did.
Originally Posted by mpuzach
^^^^^^^

Brandon hit the ball out of the park.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I never get why people get upset if someone prefers a manual or auto. It's personal preference and that is it. We all just love Corvettes and in my local Corvette club we never look down at someone for their choice in transmissions. Seems juvenile.
You are 100% right in my book. I've owned both auto and manual Vettes and have had just as much fun in both. What someone else chooses for their tranny is of no real concern to me - I buy what I want.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:33 PM
SPDY 772
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
You are 100% right in my book. I've owned both auto and manual Vettes and have had just as much fun in both. What someone else chooses for their tranny is of no real concern to me - I buy what I want.
I've had Vettes with both.

Manual sucks!

Get notified of new replies

To 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Old 01-05-2016, 03:34 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This is NOT just idle speculation.

I CHOSE to wait for a 2015 model Corvette Z51 only so I could get a car with the 8-speed automatic.

After I had driven my 2015 for 6 months, I took the new Corvette owners class at the Spring Mountain track.

As luck would have it, the school had VERY few automatics and they were the old 6-speeds. Even these few automatics were assigned only to people who "merited" them.

So, I only got to drive cars, several(5-6) different cars in fact, that had the 7-speed manual transmissions.

These cars were all well-broken in, so newness of the transmission should not have been an issue.

I found all of these cars to be awkward, at best, to shift and I had trouble finding the correct gate at times.

I also found the foot well crowded(even with size 10 feet) and I was not at all impressed with the rev-matching feature.

As one who has owned mostly manual transmission cars, over almost five decades of driving, and having driven race cars with manual transmissions including one Hewland, I am well-versed in the so-called heel and toe method of downshifting and was so used to doing it that rev-matching felt strange and distracting to me. I also felt that the throttle "blip" came too late for my tastes.

So, God bless the Corvette team for adding rev-matching for those many who like it, but I remain unimpressed by it's implementation.
That's funny because I really expected it to be great when I read about the rave reviews it received in online reviews and in the magazines.

At the end of the school, I was glad that my time driving a manual-equipped Corvette was over and that I could go back to FULLY enjoying the Corvette driving experience in my own car.

Another big benefit I see in having the 8-speed automatic is that the driver can focus on steering and braking rather than doing a Texas two-step every time either an upshift or downshift is required.

The 8-speed isn't perfect. As documented on this and other forums, it has a few problems. But it puts the car in the right gear at least 95+ percent of the time, in my experience, and the manual setting allows drivers to select the best gear for their style of driving and the situations they drive in.

My advice to anyone planning a purchase of a 2015 or later Corvette is that they at least consider getting an 8-speed.
If they get the 8-speed, they always have the option of shifting it in manual mode and having the best of both worlds....without the ball and chain of a clutch pedal and with the hassle of finding shift gates.

Oh. The automatic has also produced faster 0-60 times in a number of tests, as if that mattered.

One additional benefit of the automatic is that its problems can sometimes be fixed by using a software/tuning fix. Any problems with the 7-speed manual require metal work or fervent prayer, probably both.

Last edited by C7Kevin; 01-05-2016 at 08:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7Kevin:
Dealripper (01-06-2016), Rapid Fred (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 03:36 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

To me, the only objective reason to have an automatic is for fast E.T's in the 1.8 & 1/4 mile run. That's it.

The darndest thing is not whether the automatic is worth it or better than the M7. The tragedy is that, specifically in the C7, max performance and max visceral experience are mutually exclusive. You can't have both in the C7, ladies and gents. Pick one.

Fortunately for myself, the C6Z only comes in manual and that statement above does not apply to that generation of Vettes, or any previous generation for that matter. For what it's worth, some of us like manual transmissions because they are a defying cry against the lazy, unwilling-to-deal-with-a-learning-curve generation that doesn't even know how to drive a manual.

Being able to drive a manual requires that you actually understand the relationship between the engine and drivetrain. Otherwise you will be incapable of doing the right thing or picking the right gear in any given moment of acceleration change on the road. So maybe that is a +1 for manual drivers in general - they understand their equipment. Not that auto drivers don't of course, but I'm sure there is a growing population of auto drivers that don't know a thing about the vehicle mechanics.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 01-05-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM
brettlid
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLXX
To me the only benefit is that manual drivers can't get auto start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual