Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Tire Noise thread - Will changing all tires eliminate the "skip"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:05 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Another Tire Noise thread - Will changing all tires eliminate the "skip"

If I was able to test drive my car before I purchased, I might have been on the fence about buying it at all after discovering the tire "skipping" or rubbing or whatever its called.

The noise and feel is absolutely ridiculous. I've had 10 people ask me already if something is wrong with my car because they can hear it "rubbing".

I've read the posts stating its normal, I know, but I don't have to like it.

Is there ANYWAY to eliminate this? Hopefully by swapping all 4 tires?

Also, I haven't been able to find specific info about what is actually causing the noise. This cold tire stuff is bs in my case because even after a 2 hour drive yesterday and some spirited left turns it will still making the noise while maneuvering around my hotel parking lot.

If the tire swap will do It I might just go ditch these things next week.

thanks
Old 01-09-2016, 04:06 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

A tire swap to All Season tires will take care of the issue.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by clegg
A tire swap to All Season tires will take care of the issue.
thank you! that's very comforting info.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It hurts absolutely nothing. Why would you worry about it let alone spend hundreds of dollars for new tires to reduce it? If it bothers you that much just don't turn as sharp. I'll never understand all the consternation here about something that's normal and hurts nothing.

Edit: It's mentioned in the Owners Manual. You can google Ackerman steering effect for more info than you could ever read about it. It's pretty silly to buy a high performance car with high performance tires and then get lower performance tires to get rid of something that doesn't matter.

Last edited by Steve_R; 01-09-2016 at 04:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Boiler_81 (01-12-2016), mpuzach (01-10-2016), Woodson (01-11-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It hurts absolutely nothing. Why would you worry about it let alone spend hundreds of dollars for new tires to reduce it? If it bothers you that much just don't turn as sharp. I'll never understand all the consternation here about something that's normal and hurts nothing.

Edit: It's mentioned in the Owners Manual. You can google Ackerman steering effect for more info than you could ever read about it. It's pretty silly to buy a high performance car with high performance tires and then get lower performance tires to get rid of something that doesn't matter.
it's due to the performance tires being cold. Don't spend your $$ because you're sensitive to your un-educated friends making comments about tire noise. Or you can, it's up to you
Old 01-09-2016, 04:44 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

It is more than just tires being cold.
I think it is mainly the result of wide tires and steering geometry.
On sharp slow speed turns, the tires can lay over, causing them to skip instead of roll.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
It is more than just tires being cold.
I think it is mainly the result of wide tires and steering geometry.
On sharp slow speed turns, the tires can lay over, causing them to skip instead of roll.
agreed, but it's more pronounced when cold.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:25 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
agreed, but it's more pronounced when cold.
Changing tires won't cure the issue, you would need to change the basic geometry of the suspension, then you will be purchasing many new tires.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,169 Likes on 2,250 Posts

The only way to eliminate the Ackerman steering problem (tire skipping) would be to add a slip differential like they do on 4WD vehicle which is not practical on a sports car.

So yes, simply avoid low speed shape turn.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettman96
Changing tires won't cure the issue, you would need to change the basic geometry of the suspension, then you will be purchasing many new tires.
I know, that's what i said earlier.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

The only way to eliminate the Ackerman steering problem (tire skipping) would be to add a slip differential like they do on 4WD vehicle which is not practical on a sports car.

So yes, simply avoid low speed shape turn.
I have all season tires and still get a bit of "skip" especially when it's cold and I'm turning at very low speeds like getting out of a parking space. No big deal. It's normal.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

You don't need to understand it. Does that answer your question. Damn his whole C7 section is nothing but you guys who just can't understand this or understand that. And it's not just a cold tire issue or sharp turn issue like everyone keeps reposting constantly. It def happens at not so sharp turns and when the tires are warm as well.

What's silly is a $75k car that sounds like the tires are rubbing the fenders.

My curiosity was whether or not another brand tire in the same performance level would cure the issue. Maybe it was just a tire brand / type Specific issue. Then I read comments like this and I want to slap somebody.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Well excuse me! Your posts here today in this thread and the manual vs auto trans thread paint a very nasty, unflattering image of you.

If you don't want answers don't post questions.

And BTW, I understand perfectly well why the tires "skip." You admitted in your first post that you don't.

Chill out.
AdventurePoser (01-10-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:04 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

When making a u turn an inner tire has to make a tighter arc than the outside tire. Traditionally a car's steering linkage is designed with Ackerman effect, to turn the inside wheel more sharply than the outside wheel so each follows its correct arc.

In the quest for better handling many modern performance cars have discovered that handling is improved when both wheels stay parallel at all times. With linkage set up this way the angle of both wheels can't exactly match the arc they are trying to follow, the tires have to slip a bit in tight turns to compensate. Some cars like Corvette offer tires that grip really well and don't slide easily - instead they grip until they repeatedly break loose causing a hop/skip/chatter effect.

Much has been written about this characteristic of grippy tires on various performance auto forums - Porsche, Mercedes, and others. Some owners are all about performance while others are more into comfort and refinement. These owners may choose to give up a certain percentage of their cars' superior handling capabilities by installing tires with less grip and more slip.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

More like the tire is so wide the inside is turning slower than the outside when describing a circle. Since the inside and outside are connected, something has to give.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by vettman96
THIS

It's directly related to the GEOMETRY set up......
Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
More like the tire is so wide the inside is turning slower than the outside when describing a circle. Since the inside and outside are connected, something has to give.
Nope. As others have said it's a steering geometry issue, not a tire width issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Tire Noise thread - Will changing all tires eliminate the "skip"

Old 01-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,169 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5driver
You don't need to understand it. Does that answer your question. Damn his whole C7 section is nothing but you guys who just can't understand this or understand that. And it's not just a cold tire issue or sharp turn issue like everyone keeps reposting constantly. It def happens at not so sharp turns and when the tires are warm as well.

What's silly is a $75k car that sounds like the tires are rubbing the fenders.

My curiosity was whether or not another brand tire in the same performance level would cure the issue. Maybe it was just a tire brand / type Specific issue. Then I read comments like this and I want to slap somebody.
"What's silly is a $75k car that sounds like the tires are rubbing the fenders."

What you fail to understand or refuse to understand is it PHYSICS. When the radius of a turn is too sharp the outer wheel turns much faster than the inside tires resulting in extreme resistance and binding. The problem is accentuate when the tires are wide (i.e. performance tires) As a result the tire will skip.

Considering the dynamics in play I doubt a different set of tires will change the dynamics.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-09-2016 at 07:59 PM.
vdavenp802 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 07:55 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Mine does it,I guess they all do.I don't have problems when traveling A straight line.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you have a passenger in the car, don't make any turns, just drive straight.

Quick Reply: Another Tire Noise thread - Will changing all tires eliminate the "skip"