19.06%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

Chrome Rims and Age Poll

Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by NYSZ06
So I shouldn't mention that chrome wheels are cheesy and ruin the brand and taint a brand new very successful model ?
You can mention those baseless thoughts as much as you want. They reflect more on your lack of knowledge than anything else.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

So I shouldn't mention that chrome wheels are cheesy and ruin the brand and taint a brand new very successful model ?
I'm a black wheel guy, but I see no need to be snarky about another person's taste just because it's different than mine. I'm a long time hot rodder and custom car guy who competed nationally for years and won lots of championships including a General Motors Design Award at SEMA with my 1969 Camaro.That being said, the most important factor in customizing is picking a theme and sticking with it rather than bolting on a bunch of mis-matched accessories. Chrome wheels can work nicely with certain colors and equipment combinations as long as they are well done and integrated with other modifications. Accordingly, I've seen some nice looking C7's with chrome wheels that didn't look dated at all.

Last edited by Mac-427; 02-06-2016 at 08:54 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Mac-427:
Aflyer (02-07-2016), dpb (02-06-2016), dvilin (02-05-2016), robertbruce (02-05-2016), sxeC7 (02-05-2016), tractman (02-05-2016), Walt White Coupe (02-05-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac-427
I'm a black wheel guy, but I see no need to be snarky about another person's taste just because it's different than mine. I'm long time hot rodder and custom car guy who competed nationally for years and won lots of championships including a General Motors Design Award at SEMA with my 1969 Camaro.That being said, the most important factor in customizing is picking a theme and sticking with it rather than bolting on a bunch of mis-matched accessories. Chrome wheels can work nicely with certain colors and equipment combinations as long as they are well done and integrated with other modifications. Accordingly, I've seen some nice looking C7's with chrome wheels that didn't look dated at all.
Well said sir.

I'm a fan of all the wheel choices. My personal choice is Spectra Gray, but I really like the black wheels with the bright non-metallic colors, and the chrome with the darker, metallic colors, especially orange.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
You can mention those baseless thoughts as much as you want. They reflect more on your lack of knowledge than anything else.
So I'm guessing that you would be OK with Chevy offering vinyl roofs, landau bars and continental kits on the Corvette as well? How about a nice Bill Blass edition? Maybe throw in some nice Corinthian leather?

This IS the 21st century!

CHROME WHEELS DON'T BELONG ON ANY NEW CARS UNLESS THEY END IN DeVille OR TOWN CAR!!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Peter_K
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I would like our chrome crowd to answer one question... Not change the subject just anwer one question....
Why does the Corvette Team almost never show the car in tests, marketing, publicity, etc in chrome ?
We know why and they know why....some are in total denial...have your chrome but you're in denial.

Almost never? You mean like in the 2016 brochure for the vehicle?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by KemahGT
So I'm guessing that you would be OK with Chevy offering vinyl roofs, landau bars and continental kits on the Corvette as well? How about a nice Bill Blass edition? Maybe throw in some nice Corinthian leather?

CHROME WHEELS DON'T BELONG ON ANY NEW CARS UNLESS THEY END IN DeVille OR TOWN CAR!!!!
The real shame of some of these post are that people such as yourself are actually serious and allowed to drive and vote.
The following 5 users liked this post by dvilin:
Bill17601 (02-06-2016), chas70 (02-05-2016), nmvettec7 (02-07-2016), racedrvr (02-07-2016), tractman (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
The real shame of some of these post are that people such as yourself are actually serious and allowed to drive and vote.
WTF does gushing over chrome have to do with driving ability or political affiliation? Other than driving in the left lane at all times and voting as a democrat I don't get the connection. Oh wait, there's that stereotype again. Sorry about that. I do apologize. I should keep my mouth shut rather than calling them like I see 'em.

Happy motoring!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

WTF does gushing over chrome have to do with driving ability or political affiliation? Other than driving in the left lane at all times and voting as a democrat I don't get the connection. Oh wait, there's that stereotype again. Sorry about that. I do apologize. I should keep my mouth shut rather than calling them like I see 'em.

Happy motoring!
Kind of interesting how you degrade something with your opinions and it should be OK but when somebody does the same thing you come unglued. Rather telling
The following 2 users liked this post by chas70:
dvilin (02-05-2016), racedrvr (02-07-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh that is just priceless ! A guy here who understood the bigger point, outside of the Corvette Bubble, once said to me " a lot of out of touch guys on this forum". He, like me, was someone who loved Corvettes but owned and traveled in other sports car circles. If you listen to the guys here who see things outside the Corvette Bubble you will notice they often try to get this point across about perception and image from chrome to the old, hardliners, but there is no getting through. They are convinced the factory perpetuating this look is a great idea.....in other words ..the old timers are holding on to the drapes and they're not letting go. Remember...Mustang.. Nope...Viper.. Nope....370z ..nope...GTR..nope... Miata...nope ...BMW..nope.... 911...nope...McLaren... Nope. It must be a coincidence that it's zero chrome wheels across the board. Say no to chrome and yes to those old sock hop records
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh that is just priceless ! A guy here who understood the bigger point, outside of the Corvette Bubble, once said to me " a lot of out of touch guys on this forum". He, like me, was someone who loved Corvettes but owned and traveled in other sports car circles. If you listen to the guys here who see things outside the Corvette Bubble you will notice they often try to get this point across about perception and image from chrome to the old, hardliners, but there is no getting through. They are convinced the factory perpetuating this look is a great idea.....in other words ..the old timers are holding on to the drapes and they're not letting go. Remember...Mustang.. Nope...Viper.. Nope....370z ..nope...GTR..nope... Miata...nope ...BMW..nope.... 911...nope...McLaren... Nope. It must be a coincidence that it's zero chrome wheels across the board. Say no to chrome and yes to those old sock hop records

Your rhetoric is getting real old. Take it somewhere else and your phony superiority attitude.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Style and choice are personal taste. No such thing as correct or the incorrect You can have an opinion but don't state it as fact. People who confuse fact with opinion are delusional in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
dpb (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you even own a corvette!!!!
You post suggest your just some kid wannabe.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

39 and like chrome wheels, but.....

1st Corvette had chrome
2nd Corvette had chrome
3rd Corvette started out with chrome and ended up with black wheels w/ polished lip

Current Corvette:

I am not a big fan of solid black wheels, do like them just not my taste (for now).
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

First of all you are entitled to your perspective, whether or not anyone agrees with it or not. However, the reciprocal is also true, which you seem to be struggling with, as evidenced by your comments in this Thread. My comment about this Thread still running has nothing to do with you or your comment(s), it has to do with my opinion, which I am entitled to; that this is the most ridiculous Thread I have seen on this Forum in a long time (IMO); it should have ended about 40 posts back, not disintegrating into some pissing contest over chrome wheels, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Bill17601 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac-427
I'm a black wheel guy, but I see no need to be snarky about another person's taste just because it's different than mine. I'm a long time hot rodder and custom car guy who competed nationally for years and won lots of championships including a General Motors Design Award at SEMA with my 1969 Camaro.That being said, the most important factor in customizing is picking a theme at and sticking with it rather than bolting on a bunch of mis-matched accessories. Chrome wheels can work nicely with certain colors and equipment combinations as long as they are well done and integrated with other modifications. Accordingly, I've seen some nice looking C7's with chrome wheels that didn't look dated at all.
Just so nobody thinks I'm a 15 year old keyboard cowboy living in mom's basement here are a couple of photos. One of the 69 and the other with myself and Chip Foose, holding our awards. Yeah, I'm the guy with the shiny head on the right!
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
First of all you are entitled to your perspective, whether or not anyone agrees with it or not. However, the reciprocal is also true, which you seem to be struggling with, as evidenced by your comments in this Thread. My comment about this Thread still running has nothing to do with you or your comment(s), it has to do with my opinion, which I am entitled to; that this is the most ridiculous Thread I have seen on this Forum in a long time (IMO); it should have ended about 40 posts back, not disintegrating into some pissing contest over chrome wheels, IMO.
Like it or not, chrome wheels are THE biggest, sore thumb reason for a certain Corvette perception... So congrats to all the contributors
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Like it or not, chrome wheels are THE biggest, sore thumb reason for a certain Corvette perception... So congrats to all the contributors
You mean the perception that owners are a bunch of know-it-all blowhards?

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Rims and Age Poll

Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rgeezer
You mean the perception that owners are a bunch of know-it-all blowhards?
Ahhhh, life in the Hawaiian shirt, echo chamber of tacky chrome ....
Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

It seems to me that some members are not happy unless they are being negative or rude. Most members come to the forum to exchange ideas or learn something about the cars we love. People in the forum are free to be stir sticks until they reach forum limits.

Last edited by Bill17601; 02-07-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

You guys are funny. vinyl roofs, landau bars, continental kits?

NEWS FLASH.....If something sells, a business will offer it!!!!.....I guarantee you if any of the above moved off the showroom floor, it would be produced whether "YOU" like it or not. Simple. Truth.

This IS the 21st century...We are more enlightened. People accept each others choices without judging or something like that.

Let's see...blond hair...check, blue eyes....check, correct religious affiliation....check, black wheels....check.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome Rims and Age Poll