A8 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by HANNY
bummer, haven't had or heard of a lot of issues with the A8 but there will always be a few,,,,,, good luck with it
Is there a way to find out how common the A8 problems are?
I was figuring on museum delivery some day but am getting concerned.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:09 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
Is there a way to find out how common the A8 problems are?
I was figuring on museum delivery some day but am getting concerned.
You haven't even ordered a C7 yet?

The revised transmission is already being installed since October of last year....you are fine, don't be concerned.

Honestly, I'm not and I have the unrevised version. The issue is not an epidemic, just a possibility and I dare say a uncommon one.
The following 2 users liked this post by \Boost Monkey/:
Black&White (01-21-2016), Carvin (01-20-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 AM
Doug Z06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
My 2016 was built on 10/15, wonder how I find out if I actually have the revised tranny or the previous (trouble plagued) revision?
10/15 for me as well. Would suck to have just missed the new tranny by a week. There must be a way to confirm if our cars have the old or new tranny. Although, I have my doubts if this (new tranny) is fact or forum chatter.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:32 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dougz51
10/15 for me as well. Would suck to have just missed the new tranny by a week. There must be a way to confirm if our cars have the old or new tranny. Although, I have my doubts if this (new tranny) is fact or forum chatter.
There is no facts except a changed part number, many get changed all the time for various reasons. Until someone shows the difference between the two with before/after dates in a factory service manual its all a guess.

Plus sometimes because something is 'changed' it doesnt necessarily mean its a good thing, they may have replaced some expensive magnesium parts with aluminum or sourced some different internal parts from China.

They made 23,232 A8 Corvettes in 2015 alone, I'm sure many of those are just fine.

IMO the OP has two problems, a transmission issue and a dealer issue. Both should probably be replaced if its that bad..

Last edited by kp; 01-21-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:22 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

I may at some point call my dealer to see if they know anything about an "updated" transmission. They are a good bunch of people and very knowledge.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:58 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Do you think if the question was put forth in the "ask Tadge" section we would get an honest answer? Or maybe at the NCM Bash in April??

Last edited by Black&White; 01-21-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black&White
Do you think if the question was put forth in the "ask Tadge" section we would get an honest answer? Or maybe at the NCM Bash in April??
Yes, you should post it up and i would vote for it.

There is no reason he would not answer the question directly, and I don't see how a revision already in production would be proprietary information.

I, personally, would like to know the exact changes. Like that other guy posted, we don't know what exactly changed and this whole revision could be a moot point.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^^

I'd vote for it too.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Doug Z06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Gets my vote. Seems about as much of a discussed and controversial topic as any. Although, I don't see the answer containing a statement to the effect, "the transmission was updated to correct a known problem..." Too much liability and exposure acknowledging a known defect. Just look at Tadge's catch can answer... and then the '16 Camaro comes with a catch can.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 AM
HC-C7
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How bad is the shudder . Something noticeble like you just hit a big pot hole or just a little shake now and then which would be normal . I have the A8 and the only thing i am annoyed by is the wheel hop when turning at slow speeds. The torque converter has a rubber disk which is a flex disk . These develop cracks hard to see and they can cause issues that will effect driveability . They usually last longer then 12k depending on how you drive or where you drive as in weather . Cold can crack anything that heats up very quickly.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

My 2016 was built on 10/15, wonder how I find out if I actually have the revised tranny or the previous (trouble plagued) revision?
Maybe there is a way you can find out your part number based on your vin? If it is the new one, you are in the clear.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I think I may be experience this issue too. The last time I drove down the highway at a steady speed I felt the shudder. The car was going into and out V4 mode so I thought that may have been it although the shudder was harsher than what I normally feel when it goes between V4 and V8. The car is a 2015 with a little over 9000 miles on it. I'll pay more attention next time I drive it.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I think I may be experience this issue too. The last time I drove down the highway at a steady speed I felt the shudder. The car was going into and out V4 mode so I thought that may have been it although the shudder was harsher than what I normally feel when it goes between V4 and V8. The car is a 2015 with a little over 9000 miles on it. I'll pay more attention next time I drive it.
Set your cruise control and your car will stay in V4 and you should notice the shudder in your steering wheel. It will shudder for about 2 seconds, stop for several seconds and shudder again. It will continue to do this over and over again. Look at your RPM's and they will move up and down a little every time you feel the shudder. My transmission is being replaced because of this problem.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I have an early 2016 A8 no issue.
But as far confirming an issue trans or AFM
If you feel a shutter put the car/transmission in manual at a steady highway speed.
No V4 will activate-is there shutter now?
If not it's not a trans issue.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

I feel very badly for those who are going through tranny replacement issues and dealer issues as well.

I equate this to the controversial BMW motorcycle threads about failed final drives. If you read the forums, your motorcycle's final drive will fail, because it is an endemic issue that BMW cannot/will not solve, or admit exists...

Yet I wonder how many final drives really do fail? I started riding in 1999. Since then I've ridden nearly 300K (86K on one bike since 2011) Yes, we love to ride. And yet I've never had a problem, nor has anyone else in my riding community. In fact, I checked with a large BMW shop in So Cal who told me they've replace two final drives in the past five years, and sold thousands of bikes...

My point is, the bridge that falls makes more noise than the one that stands. Be aware a problem could exist, but MANY thousands of 2015 Corvettes are just fine and will continue to run well. The internet magnifies every problem.

Good luck and do more driving with less worrying about what will probably never happen.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Gets my vote. Seems about as much of a discussed and controversial topic as any. Although, I don't see the answer containing a statement to the effect, "the transmission was updated to correct a known problem..." Too much liability and exposure acknowledging a known defect. Just look at Tadge's catch can answer... and then the '16 Camaro comes with a catch can.
Exactly, with 23,000 cars out there can you imagine if someone from GM said they will all need the trans replaced at 12K. Thats a lot of $$ at 2K+ a pop.

The A8 trucks are having some similar issues, all seem to go back to the torque converter. Seems they wont replace the converter without replacing the trans..

I have driven a '15 and two '16s on the highway, they all had what felt like running over a bump or a rough shift when the converter locks/unlocks. I havent felt one shudder but its possible if the TCC is not right it can shudder when locking/unlocking. Especially in V4.

I'm not defending GM, too many people complaining for it to be made up. Time will tell when these cars start getting more miles on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by kp:
Black&White (01-21-2016), Formula52 (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

I recently watched a you tube video produced by MotoManTV it was a behind the screens design of the C7. Most of video was a discussion with Tadge about the C7 design elements. In one segment, Tadge discussed the reason why they decided to go with a steel torque tube instead of an aluminum TT.

Tadge stated a steel torque tube was required because of the vibration produced when the C7 switches from 8 cylinder mode to four cylinder mode and visa versa.

IMO, even with a steel torque the transition from 8 to 4 mode can still result in severe vibration in some C7s. This is why I installed an AFM disabler.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Issues

Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd be shocked if this was addressed in Ask Tadge. Didn't read the catch can response but I'm sure it was bull$h|t. That dude gets paid a lot of money to lie. I guess I'd lie to thousands too if I could make that kinda bank.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 01-21-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

I recently watched a you tube video produced by MotoManTV it was a behind the screens design of the C7. Most of video was a discussion with Tadge about the C7 design elements. In one segment, Tadge discussed the reason why they decided to go with a steel torque tube instead of an aluminum TT.

Tadge stated a steel torque tube was required because of the vibration produced when the C7 switches from 8 cylinder mode to four cylinder mode and visa versa.

IMO, even with a steel torque the transition from 8 to 4 mode can still result in severe vibration in some C7s. This is why I installed an AFM disabler.
The converter will still lock/unlock when not in V4, you can see the RPM go up or down and feel it when in V8.

Thats why the M7 cars dont go into V4 unless you put it in ECO, they dont have the dampening effect of a fluid filled torque converter. The torque converter clutch in these is used a lot, for both mileage, efficiency and to probably help manage trans temps. Doesnt take much, whether mechanical or bad programming, to mess things up and feel it.

The whole trans was new in 2015, I was a little surprised that people who not buy a 'first year' 2014 Corvette lined up to buy a 'first year' auto transmission - one of the most complex mechanical parts of the car. My wife's Jeep has gone through two 'new' 9 speed autos in under 10,000 miles, and hers is far from the only one. Yet the new Cherokee is still one of the strongest sellers for Jeep - go figure.

But then again the 'classic' A6 in my '15 Silverado is the worst shifting auto trans I have ever owned. The A6 in my old '14 was far from perfect as well but it didnt have the occasional jolts and the busyness of the A8.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:16 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Yes, and also a torque converter (transmission) was what was required because of the stupid AFM. The TC helps to dissipate much of that vibration that is caused from the transition from V8 to V4 and back.

I'm no expert and still learning, myself, but i believe the TC slip is computer controlled to "micro" slip when the AFM transition is made in order to absorb some of the vibrations. A DCT is not able to do this, thus the requirement for a classic torque converter auto.

This is a great transmission, all issues aside. It shifts in auto faster than a dual clutch, even though technically speaking there are alot of similarities between a DCT and this 8L90 that it shifting as fast, or faster, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Quick Reply: A8 Issues