Sponsored by:

Surge problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
this c7 may be finding it's way to a used car lot ...sooner than I had hoped ..
Trade it off. Any new high tech car/truck value dives once the 3/36 is gone - you would have to be crazy to buy a C7 (or Porsche, BMW Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus etc) out of warranty unless its a CPO. I had DCT issues in both BMW M3s and PDK Porsche's and many other TC automatics over the years. I'm not going to lose sleep over a GM auto trans, if it breaks they will fix it - eventually.

Main reason I liked the C5s and C6s they were still pretty simple cars and were pretty reliable mechanically. Except for C5/c6 piston slap, C6 Z06s dropping valves, LS3 harmonic balancer problems, wheel bearings and a few other little things they were fairly bulletproof and somewhat easy to repair.

Honestly as I get older and can care less about modding/racing or e-***** size I'm looking into an F-type Jaguar. 5/60 bumper to bumper and maintenance plus an onstar sorta thing. Proven ZF 8 speed auto, great looks, less tire/road noise. Only thing is it would take for me jump ship is a 450+hp V8 as a base engine instead of the SC V6 Too pricey for the V8s right now. Not to mention the local Porsche/Jaguar dealer has excellent cofee and will give you a loaner just for oil changes if you want.

Originally Posted by HANNY
doesn't sound like trans. sounds like one of two things
1. egr opening and shutting or sticking
2. V4 going in and out of that mode
More then likely number 2 ,,,,,,,, hee hee
EGR valve has not been around for years. What they do these days is retard the cam(s) and other tricks. Along with better cats, timing and fuel control...
Old 01-24-2016, 05:19 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

EGR valve has not been around for years. What they do these days is retard the cam(s) and other tricks. Along with better cats, timing and fuel control...[/QUOTE]

good point, im still a little old school thot process kp. vette hasn't had egr for awhile, still has an air pump tho,,,,, kidding of course, lol

Last edited by HANNY; 01-24-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
good point, im still a little old school thot process kp. vette hasn't had egr for awhile, still has an air pump tho,,,,, kidding of course, lol

I certainly dont miss the days of miles of vacuum hoses that lasted only a few years, vacuum delay valves, air pumps, computer controlled carburetors, catalytic converters that flowed horribly, EGR valves, Chrysler Lean burn, Ford VVT carbs and other gems from the late 70s-80s

I'm a little spoiled these days with cars that can run for 50K miles and doing nothing to them at all except change the oil once in a while.

Last edited by kp; 01-24-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 AM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts
Default A8 surge

Had it back to the dealer...They did the computer thing to it and nothing...Drove it for 11 miles...nothing,,,That doesn't surprise me. Their response was they can't fix something that isn't broke-yet! Really cant disagree with them too much. I'll just wait for it to break!
I have noticed that the RPM will fluctuate about 100 RPM's all the time. It only appears to do it in 8'th gear, and it doesn't make any difference if it is V4 or V8.
Anyone else seen this? Thoughts appreciated....
Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by rogergcam
Had it back to the dealer...They did the computer thing to it and nothing...Drove it for 11 miles...nothing,,,That doesn't surprise me. Their response was they can't fix something that isn't broke-yet! Really cant disagree with them too much. I'll just wait for it to break!
I have noticed that the RPM will fluctuate about 100 RPM's all the time. It only appears to do it in 8'th gear, and it doesn't make any difference if it is V4 or V8.
Check this thread out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-failure.html
Old 01-30-2016, 08:19 AM
LisaVette98
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same thing happen on a trip last September. Was watching the RPMs and oil gauge move up and down while in cruise control 65-70ish. I've driven a few thousand more miles since then and haven't had it happen again so I'm just keeping an eye on it at this point. Only at just under 5000 miles at this point and just over 1/2 year into warranty with full extended to 72,000 so I'm not too worried at this point.
The following users liked this post:
rogergcam (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by LisaVette98
I had the same thing happen on a trip last September. Was watching the RPMs and oil gauge move up and down while in cruise control 65-70ish. I've driven a few thousand more miles since then and haven't had it happen again so I'm just keeping an eye on it at this point. Only at just under 5000 miles at this point and just over 1/2 year into warranty with full extended to 72,000 so I'm not too worried at this point.
It appears most of the torque converters failures show up at around 10K miles. Yours might be slowly failing. You have got something to look forward to. At least you will have it covered under warranty.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:43 PM
AED
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this c7 may be finding it's way to a used car lot ...sooner than I had hoped ..
I had exactly the same problem and here's the story...

I have a 2015 Z51 A8 and at 6k miles it started shuddering when driving (it could pretty much happen at any speed but was worse at low (30 mph) speeds and gentle driving). At first I was in denial then I thought it must be misfiring slightly (seemed like the most likely thing) and took it to the dealer. They said it wasn't misfiring and what it was doing was "in tolerance" so nothing for them to do... Well a $70k car shouldn't shudder like that when driving down the road.
After a while I realized that if I put it in Manual mode it quit instantly and if I put it back in Automatic mode the shuddering restarted. So for a while I drove it in Manual. I also realized that in Auto mode it was dropping into V4 and in Manual mode it was always in V8. It occurred to me it may be the AFM - felt like the small hiccup you get when it goes from V4 to V8 upon acceleration just that it was doing it over and over again.
I researched devices that prevent the car from going into AFM (V4) mode - several people complained that their GM cars were going V4-V8-V4-V8-V4-V8... all the time while they were driving and it seemed like this is what mine was doing too.
So for $199 I bought a device that plugs into the OBD2 port and disables the AFM. IT CURED THE PROBLEM INSTANTLY!
It does not reflash anything so no warranty issues - unplug it and the problem reappears. Doesn't mean to sat I don't have a Torque Converter issue but the only symptoms I had were the unpleasant shuddering while driving gently.
The bonus side effect of this device is that there is no unpleasant hiccup as it comes out of V4 when you get into the accelerator - it's always ready to go! Can't say I have noticed any real increase in fuel consumption by not being in V4 mode.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
rogergcam
Pro

Default UP DATE on A8 TORQUE CONVERTER

I got back from the dealer yesterday, and they could "see" problems with the TC and are going to replace it! YEA!

Here's my question-They said it is a new TC-not the same as the current one. It's part number is 24279495.

Also it takes a new type of transmission fluid Dexron HP part number 19331925.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is new about these items?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

just my luck ...my build was August 2015 so I have this crap to look forward to ! And as i put few miles on the car ...when the tranny does need replacement ...it will be out of warranty ! just great !

first GM product in 40 years ..... and this is the reason why !
Get out and drive it till the problem shows up. If not I suppose you could schedule an apt and just tell them the symptoms you read on here. Do that a couple times and maybe you get a new TC even though your's is not toast yet. You don't wanna be forced to do it out of wearranty. Pretty major surgery I've read.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 PM
RArvin
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I mentioned this surging problem to the dealer recently and was given a copy of GMs Document I.D. #4430414 which applies to #08-07-30-026C: INFORMATION ON SLIGHT VEHICLE MOVEMENT IN PARK AT START UP AFTER COLD SOAK - (MAR 7, 2016)
Although this is a slightly different issue, could it be related to the same problem discussed in this posting, that is: fluid starvation or a bad o-ring in the TC? The bad news is that GM's position is quoted as: THIS CONDITION IS NORMAL AND NO REPAIRS SHOULD BE ATTEMPTED. PLEASE COMMUNICATE TO THE CUSTOMER THIS CONDITION IS A NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE. THIS MOVEMENT HAS NO ADVERSE AFFECTS ON THE TRANSMISSION. THE PARKING BRAKE MUST BE UTILIZED ANYTIME THE VEHICLE IS PARKED ACCORDING TO THE OWNER'S MANUAL RECOMMENDATIONS.
Let us hope these issues are not related according to GM as it looks as if they are willing to sweep the above problem under the rug.
Regards,
Ralph
Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Do you have a 2015 A8? I had the surge problem along with engine shuddering and the first dealer I went to said nothing was wrong with my car/transmission. The second dealer I went to said I had a bad torque converter (O ring failure) and replaced the torque converter. No more problems.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:53 PM
RArvin
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Replying to Red-C6 of Jax: Yes mine is a 2015 A8. Your comment surely confirms that some dealers cannot identify certain problems while others can. The only difference in our problem is that there was no shuddering involved. If this surge occurs due to cold weather, this problem will have to be addressed when it returns. And then again, the problem might just go away. Either way, glad to hear that yours was resolved. Regards
Ralph
Old 04-22-2016, 12:49 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

it is funny how dealers will try to add on all sorts a items when you go in saying mileage or just good maintenance. YET they will always say if it aint broken they cant fix it
I would love to see guys say back to them when they recommend maintenance items the same thing, lol.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Never experienced anything like the described surging. If it is an automatic the tranny might have been searching for the right gear range due to the terrain. Hopefully not a biggie!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:33 AM
rogergcam
Pro

Default Torque converter

The dealer has replaced the T/C with a new one. I gather it is a re-designed T/C. It requires a different fluid for it and the transmission. It now needs Dexron HP-8. The problem is no longer apparent-and I hope it stays that way!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

The dealer has replaced the T/C with a new one. I gather it is a re-designed T/C. It requires a different fluid for it and the transmission. It now needs Dexron HP-8. The problem is no longer apparent-and I hope it stays that way!!!!!!

My revised T/C was installed 2,548 miles ago (Feb. 2016) and the tranny is working great. Glad it was replaced under warranty!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Surge problems

Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 AM
rogergcam
Pro

Default T/c

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
My revised T/C was installed 2,548 miles ago (Feb. 2016) and the tranny is working great. Glad it was replaced under warranty!!!

THANKS...Do you have to use a different transmission fluid?
I was hoping someone could tell me what is different on the revised one!?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

THANKS...Do you have to use a different transmission fluid?
I was hoping someone could tell me what is different on the revised one!?

Appears the new type of transmission fluid was used, the part number was 19331925, also a new tranny filter was installed. I have no idea what was changed on the new revised T/C.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:58 PM
HarleyFLHX
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixing Surge Problem

My 2014 Z51 manual trans was surging like yours. I had installed a K&N cold air box about 2 years ago. The Corvette mechanic at the Corvette Museum suggested I clean my throttle body, but no one else thought that could be a problem, so I put the new Chevrolet Performance high flow cold air box in and bagged the K&N. All problems solved.

Quick Reply: Surge problems