Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will be run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
In for the reduction of car performance numbers. How many feet will AS tires add to the 60-0 braking? How much will the 0-60 times increase? What will the reduction in lateral Gee's be? This is so exciting!
All depends on where you live and the weather Temperature.
Tell me the Performance advantage and stopping distance between Ultra High Performance Summer ONLY tires and Ultra High Performance A/S tires when it's below 40 or 50 Degrees out side

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate my Summer Only tires and would like to use them all year round.
But would miss a lot of good driving in the Spring and Fall when it's Cold outside with Summer Only tires because of the noticeable Decrease in performance
Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I am perfectly happy with the max summer performance tires for year round driving in Houston as long as the rubber doesn't crack at 28 degF.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:27 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I'll be interested to see if GM offers these as a no cost option. I "think" Porsche offers A/S tires on certain models (911 Turbo for one) as a no-cost option (this may be in Germany only, not sure).

Jimmy
Old 01-27-2016, 02:32 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

They should, at least, be a factory option at a reasonable price. But, knowing, GM if offered, they will not be cheap.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Cur
If the current A/S3's weren't available from the factory... Why assume new models of the same tire would be? KnowwhatImean?
One difference that GM is unlikely to offer the car with non-runflat tires, which eliminates the current A/S 3s. If the new A/S 3 Plus tires truly do come as runflats, that's something GM might offer.

I don't expect it, but a runflat design does allow for the possibility.

In for the reduction of car performance numbers. How many feet will AS tires add to the 60-0 braking? How much will the 0-60 times increase? What will the reduction in lateral Gee's be? This is so exciting!
As long as they're an option, and you're not forced to use them, why do you care?

Last edited by meyerweb; 01-27-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Hmmm.....interesting. When my OEM tires are done, this might be a good option.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I for one will be looking at them
Old 01-29-2016, 06:03 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That would depend on what the outside temperature is.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 PM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
No way in hell will they come standard.
How "in hell" would you know
Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
All depends on where you live and the weather Temperature.
Tell me the Performance advantage and stopping distance between Ultra High Performance Summer ONLY tires and Ultra High Performance A/S tires when it's below 40 or 50 Degrees out side

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate my Summer Only tires and would like to use them all year round.
But would miss a lot of good driving in the Spring and Fall when it's Cold outside with Summer Only tires because of the noticeable Decrease in performance
Sigh, a tire does not care(if a tire could care) what the air temp is. What matters is the temp of the rubber. Drive for 5 minutes and the tire warms up, it grips just fine. Think of it as the guys at the drag strip, they have to do a burn out to get the tire up to operating temperature. Summer tires just need to get a little heat in them and they are better that the hard all season tires that have warmed up.

Originally Posted by shakeydog
That would depend on what the outside temperature is.
No, it depends on if you wait till the tires are up to temp.

Originally Posted by fredmills
I will say it....no f-ing way would GM put all season tires on the car and I will tell you why. You offer the C7 with AS tires and some car company is going to run a test with their car and a AS tired C7. Then you will see "Our POS is faster that The C7 Corvette around Road America". Or even better, one of the car mags will do it to sell more magazines...."faster than a Corvette!", you open the rag and there it will be in small print, "optional all season tire Equipped"
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default A/S run flats

I have already bought the rims for our Grand Sport....just waiting for the tires to be made in G/S..Z06 sizes! I'll switch from summer only tires to all season tires when the cold weather arrives. I don't like having a 8 month driving season!!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Michelin letter

I inquired about these tires...here is the reply I received...
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2016, 12:51 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sigh, a tire does not care(if a tire could care) what the air temp is. What matters is the temp of the rubber. Drive for 5 minutes and the tire warms up, it grips just fine. Think of it as the guys at the drag strip, they have to do a burn out to get the tire up to operating temperature. Summer tires just need to get a little heat in them and they are better that the hard all season tires that have warmed up.
Yes the tires will warm up, but in 30 degree weather they're not going to warm up to their designed working temperature.
That's why there's a caution in the description for Summer Only tires related to driving below certain temperatures
It's not theory or opinion, it's simply what happens.
The tire performance level is noticeably less than it was designed to do because they get Hard and slippery in Cold weather.
Can they still be driven in cold ? Yes... but that doesn't mean they work the way they're designed to.

I've driven Ultra High Performance Summer tires in 30 degree or less weather with no problem, but the car can not be safely driven Aggressively.
And they don't stop very good either.
Many times the ABS would kick in coming to a stop on dry sunny roads at 30 degrees.
I've also driven Ultra High Performance A/S tires in 30 degree or less weather and there is no problem at all driving Aggressively or stopping.

Summer only tires will have the edge in warm hot weather, or on the Track
The following 3 users liked this post by Dif:
IndyBlue (01-30-2016), meyerweb (01-30-2016), Walt White Coupe (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
Because it's not a Camry.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 AM
carllangford
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

In the cold climate, I drive these summer tires like it's a rainy day. Leave extra space for stopping and be cautious cornering and accelerating... It sucks... Can't wait for A/S tires.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Just got off the phone with Michelin customer service and they
said the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will be Run flats for the Z51 (that is the tire size I gave them) .

They expect production to start around March 2016.

I'm not disputing what you were told on the phone with Michelin,
But,.. Quoted internet announcements from Michelin have been Conflicting, so I emailed them.
Here's the email Reply I got from Michelin today.

Quote:
01/30/2016

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to know when the Michelin A/S 3 + RUN FLAT tires will be Available in sizes 245-35 19 and 285-30 20 for my 2016 Corvette Z51 model. Thank You.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We appreciate your interest in putting the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 + on your 2016 Chevrolet Corvette, Frank.
The A/S 3 + is slated to be released in early Spring of 2016.

However, at this time, while we do plan to release the + in both sizes your vehicle requires, we do not have plans to release any that are equipped with run-flat technology.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-866-866-6605 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Nicholas
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
: Unquote
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Yes the tires will warm up, but in 30 degree weather they're not going to warm up to their designed working temperature.
That's why there's a caution in the description for Summer Only tires related to driving below certain temperatures
It's not theory or opinion, it's simply what happens.
The tire performance level is noticeably less than it was designed to do because they get Hard and slippery in Cold weather.
Can they still be driven in cold ? Yes... but that doesn't mean they work the way they're designed to.

I've driven Ultra High Performance Summer tires in 30 degree or less weather with no problem, but the car can not be safely driven Aggressively.
And they don't stop very good either.
Many times the ABS would kick in coming to a stop on dry sunny roads at 30 degrees.
I've also driven Ultra High Performance A/S tires in 30 degree or less weather and there is no problem at all driving Aggressively or stopping.

Summer only tires will have the edge in warm hot weather, or on the Track
They will warm up when the car is driven at highway speeds and they will grip just fine. I got my personal best lap time at the Glen running in 32 deg ambient temp with snow flurries. I had Continental Race Slicks on the car and after a couple of laps at speed they had plenty of grip. I knocked 2 seconds off my previous personal best.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will be run-flats

Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, it depends on if you wait till the tires are up to temp.

I will say it....no f-ing way would GM put all season tires on the car and I will tell you why. You offer the C7 with AS tires and some car company is going to run a test with their car and a AS tired C7. Then you will see "Our POS is faster that The C7 Corvette around Road America". Or even better, one of the car mags will do it to sell more magazines...."faster than a Corvette!", you open the rag and there it will be in small print, "optional all season tire Equipped"
Old 01-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
They will warm up when the car is driven at highway speeds and they will grip just fine. I got my personal best lap time at the Glen running in 32 deg ambient temp with snow flurries. I had Continental Race Slicks on the car and after a couple of laps at speed they had plenty of grip. I knocked 2 seconds off my previous personal best.

Bill
Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Customer Service did tell me that the Z51 tires would be runflats..they needed to know the size to verify if they would be runflats.

Last edited by agapsdiver; 02-01-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will be run-flats