Sponsored by:

Waiting for the A8 cooling "kit"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:59 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gamo

I wanted a little more room under the car to run the lines from the transmission so I just put some blocks under the tires and lowered the car on them. Then you can put larger blocks on the Quick Jack. You can raise the car pretty high if your comfortable with it.
I was lucky that when I bought the Quick Jack 7000 it was a new model and came with the free SUV pedestal kit.
The aluminum jack pucks are also a great thing to have. My brother put the ribbon on them so I don't forget to take them out.
I am very happy with the whole set up.
Dave
good idea. As long as its stable that would work to give you another bit of clearance.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Just for an update. Car's been in for over a week to deal with the cold shifting issue. They finally decided....time for a new transmission.

So, new torque converter, new transmission, still no cooling kit.

On the bright side, since I haven't put 3rd party cooling on it, I don't have to deal with the warranty argument which I can only image how messy it would get to replace the transmission.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Just for an update. Car's been in for over a week to deal with the cold shifting issue. They finally decided....time for a new transmission.

On the bright side, since I haven't put 3rd party cooling on it, I don't have to deal with the warranty argument which I can only image how messy it would get to replace the transmission.
Hey Jay. Hope all is well. At this point I don't even know if there will be a cooling kit. I would work a deal with GM on a trade for a 2016 or 2017 A8 or just go for M7. With your track skill level I would go for M7. I am happy with move from A8 to M7.
Ali

Last edited by 5thGear; 12-07-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I would hope that GM would not consider using their own parts as 3rd party cooling. I certainly could be wrong and am not anxious to find out but using the 2016-2017 cooling parts on a 2015 should never be considered 3rd party.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Originally Posted by Car54
I would hope that GM would not consider using their own parts as 3rd party cooling. I certainly could be wrong and am not anxious to find out but using the 2016-2017 cooling parts on a 2015 should never be considered 3rd party.
Totally agree Bill, and that's why I did the full GM conversion like you. All GM parts down to the clips and everything. If they denied any warranty work because of that I would fight it to the end. The dealer might not even know I did a conversion unless it's a tech who knows 2015's did not come with the front cooler. But you even proved that one wrong.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

They told me flat out that even using their 2016 parts would void the entire power-train warranty.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

They told me flat out that even using their 2016 parts would void the entire power-train warranty.
Same statement they made when folks asked about adding the larger oil tank from an 09+ on 06-08 C6Zs.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Hey Jay. Hope all is well. At this point I don't even know if there will be a cooling kit. I would work a deal with GM on a trade for a 2016 or 2017 A8 or just go for M7. With your track skill level I would go for M7. I am happy with move from A8 to M7.
Ali
I tried to work out a "deal" on a 2016 earlier this year and it was no deal. Now I just feel like they have made it very clear they don't want customers, so why should I fight them. I was going to get the Caddy ATS as my other car, but I bought a Jag instead. If I replace the C7 it will be with something else. Don't know what yet.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 PM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep your GM vehicle all GM. Hey, they wrote it not me.

I'm not even gonna get in this discussion. There's another thread on the forum that's beating the A8 with a stick.

It's like talking politics!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Keep your GM vehicle all GM. Hey, they wrote it not me.

I'm not even gonna get in this discussion. There's another thread on the forum that's beating the A8 with a stick.

It's like talking politics!!!
^^^^^^^
This

you can bitch or do something about it. I chose the latter.

Last edited by ap6954; 12-08-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:09 PM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After all that time and effort I found a better more natural way to control my transmission temperatures!

I received the nut-sert tool from harbor freight and installed the two retainers around the rear wheel. It works great.

I realized the other day that when I was filling the transmission fluid that the car was not level. So now a new problem, how to get the transmission temp up to 100 degrees when it's only 25 degrees outside. I stuffed a towel in the quarter panel vent and took a five mile drive. Then I left it running and by the time I got it back on the lift the temp finally moved.
Let a little fluid drain out and it's all set. Three quarts just like Andy said.

The only thing I have left is to reinstall the front and rear fender liners but I might wait and see if I get a warm day for another test drive first.

I think I'll start a new thread, things I love about my Vette.(New transmission cooler)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:39 PM
ap6954
Instructor

After all that time and effort I found a better more natural way to control my transmission temperatures!

I received the nut-sert tool from harbor freight and installed the two retainers around the rear wheel. It works great.

I realized the other day that when I was filling the transmission fluid that the car was not level. So now a new problem, how to get the transmission temp up to 100 degrees when it's only 25 degrees outside. I stuffed a towel in the quarter panel vent and took a five mile drive. Then I left it running and by the time I got it back on the lift the temp finally moved.
Let a little fluid drain out and it's all set. Three quarts just like Andy said.

The only thing I have left is to reinstall the front and rear fender liners but I might wait and see if I get a warm day for another test drive first.

I think I'll start a new thread, things I love about my Vette.(New transmission cooler)
Nice job. It does take a while to warm up idling on jack stands. Hope to run into you at the track one day. I'll know its you or Bill because we will be the ones still on track at the end of a session!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:01 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Default Temperature report at track day

Had a one day trsck day in 60F ambient temperature a few days ago, and with the new front cooler and larger rear cooler I saw no higher than 190F. Now I am not instructor level driving but I drive it hard and pretty fast. I have seen 275 F after 15 mins before I installed the front cooler on the same track and same ambient temps. The front cooler and larger Z06 rear cooler really dropped my temps. Well worth the effort and costs.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Car54
Racer

Hey Andy. That is really great news. My next track day is at VIR with TrackDaze on March 20. Last year with just the addition of the front cooler I don't think my temps got over 230 so now with the addition of the larger rear cooler I should be in the same neighborhood as you.

bill
Old 02-07-2017, 01:05 PM
ap6954
Instructor

I am am super excited about the results Bill! No more worrying about watching the trans temp climb during the sessions. Heading to COTA in march and won't have to worry about managing trans temps! Now what will be my next problem to tackle!!!! I think I am going to focus on getting the driver better!

Hey Andy. That is really great news. My next track day is at VIR with TrackDaze on March 20. Last year with just the addition of the front cooler I don't think my temps got over 230 so now with the addition of the larger rear cooler I should be in the same neighborhood as you.

bill

Last edited by ap6954; 02-07-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:38 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

So it appears the cooling kit from GM may finally be a reality. My dealer got information about adding a secondary cooler for the transmission, either the automatic or the manual. There's no labor estimate for it, at least not yet, it says to just bill by the amount of time spent to do it.

Also, the parts for the automatic are not yet available (and also no prices) but are expected to be available around the end of March. Parts for the manual are available now.

I didn't get a notification number for it, but it was apparently dated February 1st.

So perhaps there is hope.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting to the truth about this bulletin..

Jay,

I just got an email from Gandrud Chevrolet regarding my request for them to contact Chevrolet Performance Parts. Here is their response:

"Chevrolet Performance Parts has no plans to pursue Z51 C7 automatic cooling kits. I was just informed by the people in charge there."

I have also tried to find service bulletins through several dealers regarding the February 1 announcement. They claim they now nothing of any memo.

I know that the dealer network is a mixed bag of folks who either are on top of things or are not-- meaning they don't read anything GM sends them!

Gandrud is willing to put a package together at an attractive price for a group buy. I am ready to move forward. If there really was a Feb bulletin, then it is in someone's hands. Will you pursue that now for the good of us waiting or if you want to PM me the source, I will. We are at over a month later and I suspect that whatever this bulletin is, it may be interpreted by the dealer differently than we think- but who knows?!

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

J

Get notified of new replies

To Waiting for the A8 cooling "kit"?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Default Secondary Radiator for Manual cars

I am wondering if the Feb announcement was related to the release of an upgrade currently for manual trans cars to lower the water and oil temperatures.

Here is the link to that cooler: http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/84037858.html

The way the description is written is confusing and may be thought of as a trans cooler. Here is the GM Performance description:

This radiator adds additional cooling capability to manual transmission
Corvettes that see regular track use. This kit includes the lines and
hardware necessary to mount and plumb this additional radiator to
the front of any manual transmission-equipped Stingray. This includes
base Stingray, Z51, and Z06 cars. With the addition of this kit to a Z51
manual transmission car, the radiator fluid temperatures are lowered
25°F along with the engine oil temperatures down 15°F. Addition of the
Z06 grill (84115259 / 84115258) further enhances the cooling capacity of this kit with radiator fluid temperatures lowered 27°F and engine oil temperatures down 18°F.

I have requested from Gandrud to check into the Feb 1 announcement to see if it is related to this.

J
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Default Update from dealer on bulletin

My dealer has looked through all bulletins and can find nothing related to A8 transmission cooling in or around Feb 1st.

He also contacted GM Performance Parts and they said there is nothing in the works to address this.

Perhaps Wikileaks can chime in, but I find no mention anywhere on the web regarding a fix, nor any official confirmation.

I am assuming this was a mis-read by Jay's dealer. I have reached out to Jay several days ago to see if he can pinpoint it.

In the meantime, I have moved forward with an updated list of parts that will lower the cost to anyone else that wants to make the update. I am working with some great forum members who pioneered this change in this thread to get the updates posted.

My sincere thanks to Bill, Andy and Dave for their generous assistance to me and the forum to help those afflicted.

J
Old 03-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Car54
Racer

With Jrider's help I have updated two part numbers in the master list in post 1. I have also added part numbers for the brackets to mount the cooler to the baffle. Joe found out that they were now available. You will remember that the very first part is the baffle that you only needed because there was no part number for the two brackets to mount the cooler. You also needed it for a template to cut in your existing baffle. But stay tuned. Between the 4 of us we think we can come up with a template and post it here soon.

Here is a picture of the baffle, brackets and the seal that is on the 2016 and up version of the baffle. It is also available as a separate part and I have included that in post 1. The brackets are shown as 13 and 14 in this pic. The seal and retainer is shown as 15 and 16.

Quick Reply: Waiting for the A8 cooling "kit"?