Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting for the A8 cooling "kit"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

They told me that the info they got showed up in the computer as applying to my car, which is an A8. If anything the information in their computer is usually behind other sources of information. I guess I will know shortly.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Jrider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Upgrade package thru Forum members

Ok, so thanks to the guys here that have actually done the job and a little work on my part, we have an updated parts list and all of the documents needed to do the job. In a few weeks, I will be doing the install myself and will add in some additional pictures and insights (although the guys here have done a fabulous job).

We are developing a template that we will make available electronically or perhaps a physical template for a small cost to cover mailing/copying.

With regards tot he parts purchase, we have worked out a $$ deal that you can take advantage of as a member of this forum. You will need to contact my buddy Jason Kretsch by email at jkretsch@gandrud.com or ask for him at 920.468.3698. He has the entire list, options for you to choose on a few things like the grille and fender ducts. He can help you with any other needs at same time and will give you special pricing.

Again, a super shout out to my adopted friends on the forum that have made this happen.

J

Last edited by Jrider; 03-15-2017 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Harris (03-22-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Danengraham
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do any of you see a reason why this couldn't be installed on a 2016 Non z51 car? Or has anyone with a base car done the upgrade?

You guys have done an amazing job at documenting the install process and coming up with the required parts list.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't think of any reason why the front and rear coolers could not be installed on a base car. Have you been tracking a base car?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 AM
Danengraham
Instructor

Originally Posted by Car54
I can't think of any reason why the front and rear coolers could not be installed on a base car. Have you been tracking a base car?
I have done one track day last year and have one planned in May coming up. I didn't realize that they overheated so bad (didn't research before buying) other wise I would have opted for the z51. I'm still very novice and only plan on doing 1-3 events a year. I have only done 2 HPDE days total with one being in my old 15 mustang.

If pushed the car would hit 280* trans temp within a lap or two on a high 80s low 90s day.

I would probably have one of my GM mechanic budys install everything and dont really like the Idea of having $2-3K wrapped up in just a trans cooler. I do like the fact that you have used all factory parts in the factory installed manner and it looks bone stock when completed.

Last edited by Danengraham; 03-29-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM
Car54
Racer

Even if you had bought an A8 z51 it would still overheat. One word of caution would be to check and make sure that the base car came with the fan for the trans cooler in the left rear quarter panel. If there is no fan, there is probably no wiring harness. My window sticker says the z51 gets the e-diff and diff cooler in the right rear but does not mention trans cooler or fan so it is worth checking before you get too deep into this.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Danengraham
Instructor

Even if you had bought an A8 z51 it would still overheat. One word of caution would be to check and make sure that the base car came with the fan for the trans cooler in the left rear quarter panel. If there is no fan, there is probably no wiring harness. My window sticker says the z51 gets the e-diff and diff cooler in the right rear but does not mention trans cooler or fan so it is worth checking before you get too deep into this.
I have a 16, so would have gotten a 16z51 with the front cooler and larger rear cooler from the factory. Mine does have the fan, but doesn't seem to kick on tell it gets pretty hot. It would be nice if it kicked in sooner to help slow down the problem. I have never heard it run until the track day.

Im not sure what the best route for me is. I have seen the post on installing the Z06 cooler on an M7 car, using the factory lines. Similar to how the LG cooler is mounted and just bending the lines.

My thinking was that I could get the larger Z06/newz51 cooler with small fan installed on the driver side, and then buy the air duct for the passenger side and install my factory cooler and fan over there. Seen a post that LG was now working on doing this for their new setup. Would save running the lines to the front of the car, and probably something I would feel comfortable with doing myself.

Would also allow me to install the front mounted cooler as an engine coolant radiator, and hopefully help keep the coolant and oil temps down a little bit.

Last edited by Danengraham; 03-29-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:48 PM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I wanted to check in with the idea that someone will finally hear when a cooling kit would be allowed under warranty assuming a dealer installed approved GM parts. Just read everyone's documentation and would like to get this done when it is finally mainstream if ever.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Still no info if anything is ever going to exist. The computer info for "Auxiliary transmission cooler" the dealer found shows now as updated on April 1st but still doesn't show as available.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 AM
felkebg
Pro

Did the 2016 "fix" actually work on the track for the A8 overheating issue?
Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Absolutely. Used to reach 275/280 in 15 mins in any air temp. Now it's 215/220 tops for 20-25 mins sessions on track. . Here is a snip of the pdr data above from a track day in 80F temps after the Addition of the mods in this thread.

Originally Posted by felkebg
Did the 2016 "fix" actually work on the track for the A8 overheating issue?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 AM
gamo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As Bill and Andy said, this is last year at Watkins Glen With 25 Minute sessions in April About a 70 degree day.
This year at Watkins Glen, 75 degrees 30 minute sessions with Chin.
You can also see due to my driving a little faster and ambient temps being warmer, my water and oil temps are higher but the transmission temps are great.
My last two sessions were only a half hour apart because I went out with the next advanced group.

The only two issue's I had was some Trans fluid coming out the vent(I think Andy had the same issue) and I over heated/wore out my fairly new stock pads. I ordered a set of Carbotech XP8/XP10.

15,000 miles and sixteen track days and I still love this car!

Dave

Last edited by gamo; 05-20-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Dave I am happy for you! Full long session and no trans temp issues. The fluid out the top of the trans I think is slight overfilling and the fluid is foaming a bit and yes I did have that same small amount of fluid come out the top vent when hot. Roll on! All worth the work as I am sure you will agree.

Originally Posted by gamo

As Bill and Andy said, this is last year at Watkins Glen With 25 Minute sessions in April About a 70 degree day.
This year at Watkins Glen, 75 degrees 30 minute sessions with Chin.
You can also see due to my driving a little faster and ambient temps being warmer, my water and oil temps are higher but the transmission temps are great.
My last two sessions were only a half hour apart because I went out with the next advanced group.

The only two issue's I had was some Trans fluid coming out the vent(I think Andy had the same issue) and I over heated/wore out my fairly new stock pads. I ordered a set of Carbotech XP8/XP10.

15,000 miles and sixteen track days and I still love this car!

Dave
Old 05-21-2017, 08:05 AM
felkebg
Pro

I know that most of us appreciate Tadge but didn't he promise us an approved kit by the end of last year? I pay a pretty good price for an HPDE event only to have to go back to the paddock after 1/3 of the time each session over two days. Do I have to put my warranty at risk to fix this on my own using only the GM selected parts listed here? Can anyone suggest an installer that I can go to for this? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Car54
Racer

As Dave and Andy have said, the addition of the A8 coolers really does the trick. Here is my pdr data from the TrackDaze event at VIR on March 21. Two groups were combined into one HOUR session. After 45 minutes, 59 miles 17 laps and almost a tank of gas I gave up and came in with a big smile on my face. I had my best lap time ever on Lap 15 with the left front tire at 39.5lbs after starting at 26.1lbs. The transmission temp kept climbing but did not get over 244. Oh...and yes I had trans fluid coming out the vent also. Subsequent to this event two friends, Craig and Brian, fabbed up a shield to attach to the X-pipe bracket in front of the Torque Converter access hole. We attached thermo-shield to it and it deflects all the hot air coming from the tunnel and hitting the torque converter housing and melting the rubber plug. At the NCM bash, trans temps never got over 221 and no fluid out the vent.

Here is the pic from VIR

Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Hey Dave. I would be interested in seeing a picture of the shield you guys came up with. I made a sheild a while back that attaches under the differential that directed cool air to the finned cooler that is now gone and I don't need it. Yours sounds like a helpful setup for thw cooler setup we have now.

As Dave and Andy have said, the addition of the A8 coolers really does the trick. Here is my pdr data from the TrackDaze event at VIR on March 21. Two groups were combined into one HOUR session. After 45 minutes, 59 miles 17 laps and almost a tank of gas I gave up and came in with a big smile on my face. I had my best lap time ever on Lap 15 with the left front tire at 39.5lbs after starting at 26.1lbs. The transmission temp kept climbing but did not get over 244. Oh...and yes I had trans fluid coming out the vent also. Subsequent to this event two friends, Craig and Brian, fabbed up a shield to attach to the X-pipe bracket in front of the Torque Converter access hole. We attached thermo-shield to it and it deflects all the hot air coming from the tunnel and hitting the torque converter housing and melting the rubber plug. At the NCM bash, trans temps never got over 221 and no fluid out the vent.

Here is the pic from VIR
Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Car54
Racer

Hi Andy

Ok...here are the pics. This is the finished product on my car:

Now here is a sequence of pictures that Craig and Brian put together as they were making this piece. They used a piece of sheet metal....pretty thin stuff and a drill and tap for 6-32 machine screws. These are not in any particular order:

Get notified of new replies

To Waiting for the A8 cooling "kit"?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by felkebg
I know that most of us appreciate Tadge but didn't he promise us an approved kit by the end of last year? I pay a pretty good price for an HPDE event only to have to go back to the paddock after 1/3 of the time each session over two days. Do I have to put my warranty at risk to fix this on my own using only the GM selected parts listed here? Can anyone suggest an installer that I can go to for this? Thanks.
Actually it was promised by the end of 2015. But don't try to ask about it, its not allowed. Basically GM blatantly lied to us, screwed us over, and doesn't care at all. All you need to do is read the headlines to know what you are dealing with: "At Mary Barra’s GM, It’s Profit Before All Else" --Bloomberg.

Last edited by Jay_Davis; 05-22-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:38 AM
goec2468
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I

this is the bracket I took off the new baffle. I drilled out 3 holes, 2 for the bolts and one for the pushpin that holds the bracket in place.

l.

I struggle to identify the part number of this bracket and the bolts in the first post . Can someone help me ?
Thanks

Regards

Götz
Old 05-11-2019, 12:22 PM
ap6954
Instructor

I think the items you are looking for are items 2,3, and 6 from the list on post#1 from Bill. If you go look at post #120, it will help explain and shows the diagram. For Bill the originator of this project and early adopters of this addition like me we bought the whole front baffle and the brackets came with the baffle. But jrider got the part numbers for 2016 and up cars for just the brackets and bolts if that is all you need. The new baffle also gave us the template to cut the hole in your existing baffle. PM me if you need further explanation of the mod. It was the best mod I did for my 2015 and looks factory. I have had zero issues with trans cooling since then.

Originally Posted by goec2468

I struggle to identify the part number of this bracket and the bolts in the first post . Can someone help me ?
Thanks

Regards

Götz
The following users liked this post:
goec2468 (05-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Waiting for the A8 cooling "kit"?