Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dying a thousand deaths

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Road rash is inevitable. Since you have a protective film on the car, try pouring hot water on the film in that area to see if it heals itself.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by trinityprof
My 2014 Stingray is my daily driver. I love it so much, I talked my husband into selling his Jag and getting a vette for himself. I covered it with Expel when I got it, wash it with great care and added the mods I wanted. Love, love, love. Well, I just went outside with some Quick Detailer because this Texas lady wants it to warm up just a little more to wash the car. Ok--I am venting--but I found a ROAD RASH chip about the size of a match head on the hood just beneath the windshield. I am SOOOOOO upset. I think it is clearly through the protective film and I do remember getting bashed with something hard the other day. Reason for the post? Need to vent. Sigh. Sorry to take up space for this. . . I KNOW it could be WAY worse. I don't feel like being reasonable or logical right now. But, my non-vette friends would not understand my being this distraught and my sweet hubby is not home yet. . . .so you are my ventees. . . .
I'm with you, the first boo-boo is the worst. Not a logical thing, it's very emotional.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,177 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by River Rat
Whats it cost to wrap a vette these days?
I got my entire front-end (front fascia, entire hood & both front fenders), rocker panels, mirrors, door sills, door edges, door cups, and gas cap wrapped with 3M Pro Series for $1400.00.

They did not use a pre-cut kit. The hood, fascia and fenders were wrapped around and under the edges so there are no lines.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-05-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

To the original poster I feel your pain. I try so hard to park far away and I still get scratches that I can't explain. It sucks. I bought my car in December and it sat on the lot with a broken windshield. They replaced it before I picked up the car. One month later I got hit with a rock and had to get another windshield. Just bad luck. The 2nd guy who did the car must have dripped adhesive on to the paint. It was stained and right below the edge of the windshield on the fender. It took me an hour to get it out of the paint. I was going to go back and complain but he probably would have denied it and if he did confess, I didn't want some idiot buffing it out. Anyway it looks good but it really was like a punch in the stomach to see that on my paint. One day they will come out with a paint that is durable and doesn't get swirl marks or scuffs.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

This is why I buy used now their is a few stone chips from the previous owner so it makes the 1st nick I get that much easier to deal with.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The first chip or scratch is always the hardest to accept, and even subsequent ones make you feel depressed. But, if you drive the car at all, it's just one of the risks of being out on the road. You were wise to get the car wrapped with Xpel and think about this - the film has probably prevented countless other chips from happening.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Guess it's time for a group hug....
Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Guess it's time for a group hug....
That first scratch/chip is the worst.. For me it didn't get any better with #2 and #3. Touchup paint usually works ok as long as you don't put too much on. I used a tooth pick to put the paint on my chips. There is one way you can prevent any scratches, chips from getting on your car. "Leave it in the Garage". I don't think anyone will be doing this preventative measure, oh I forgot, maybe in the winter months for all of those lucky enough to live in snow land.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:02 PM
'16C7
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Stupid question, but what do you all do for maintenance on the xpel, I mean does it eliminate sealing and waxing, so all you do is wash it? Does it just always look like you have a freshly waxed car?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Dealership should have a paint pen in your cars color. Something that small should only take a dab of the pen. Let dry, a little polish and wax then your good to go.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:00 PM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Or just live with it and do what we did for my wife's '03. After 13 yrs of assorted rock chips and scrapes on the front, we had the whole front and hood repainted for $1200 last week. Looks like new
Old 02-06-2016, 03:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by River Rat
Sorry about that. I got hit with some rocks off a bottom dump 18 wheeler the other day...thought Id have a broken windshield or some missing paint...got lucky though...I think its all a matter of time if you use it as a daily driver though...sad but true.
With a DD the sooner the better than you worry less! I don't cover my C7 with plastic, if I get a ding from a rock so beit! Mine is 28 months old but soon after I got it an 18 wheeler thru a rock from a tire, hit my windshield. However was lucky the chip was at the windshield wiper level and NOT in it's path. Filled the chip and smoothed it off and it's not extended for 27 months! As you say with a DD, just have to move on! Fortunately have few noticeable dings.
I do avoid the Interstate for a number of reasons including having to evade truck tire treads! Also pass 18 wheelers very quickly for potential rocks and I wonder if they see me! About the only time I speed on the Interstate and risk radar is when I shift to 4th and accelerate past them as fast as possible!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-06-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Sorry to hear, Trinity. As a Daily Driver, I'm thinking this won't be your last one though.....
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Up here, the roads are covered with gravel every time the temps drop...it was inevitable for me as well. One small chip next to the Corvette logo on the hood.

Talked to the body guy at the local Chevy dealership. He regularly shows his built '72 Corvette, and did all the paint and body work (pics soon, I hope).

Anyway, he quoted me $750 for the Scotchgard Premium for the front end of my car. Then he said, "If it was me, I'd use the finest, thinest brush I could find, clean the rock chip area, and then gradually filled the chip." He went on to say, "Take your time, build up the paint slowly till it is just flush with the OEM paint." He also said, that in his opinion, a few coats of good wax on the front end was a "helluva" lot cheaper than Scotchgard and works just as well.

Of course, opinions are like necks, everyone has one, but I'm going to try his route first....then Scotchgard Pro if I need it.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:45 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

The first scratch, ding, or chip is always the worst, and for me, the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th are not any better From where I'm sitting, it depends how much it bothers you...everything can be fixed at a price...what's the worst case? New repainted hood? Really sorry for your pain; I think everyone's been there at one time or another....

Ken
Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by INTHERED
If I were you I would not tell your husband anything !
Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.
What??? That makes no sense at all. It's not her fault that something heavy did some damage to her car, it happens to most of us. Most couples with a good relationship confide in one another,as it should be no matter what the circumstance. It's a car for crying out loud and $hit happens.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I got my entire front-end (front fascia, entire hood & both front fenders), rocker panels, mirrors, door sills, door edges, door cups, and gas cap wrapped with 3M Pro Series for $1400.00.

They did not use a pre-cut kit. The hood, fascia and fenders were wrapped around and under the edges so there are no lines.
you forgot your headlights.

Get notified of new replies

To Dying a thousand deaths

Old 02-06-2016, 05:01 PM
RedRay15
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by '16C7
Stupid question, but what do you all do for maintenance on the xpel, I mean does it eliminate sealing and waxing, so all you do is wash it? Does it just always look like you have a freshly waxed car?
Xpel makes a really good sealant for the film. It gives it a slicker finish and keeps particles from sticking to the film.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I swear the C7 is a rock magnet. I have more chips in my C7 at 8k miles then I did in my C6 with 28k miles. Killing me.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM
trinityprof
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Put something silky on and seduce your husband this evening. The chip will still be there, but you'll feel better afterward, and it'll rock his mind as a bonus.
Don't know anything about this diffuser, but it looks nice. I am actually awaiting delivery of my WeaponX carbon fiber spoiler and diffuser. You might want to take a look at their site for comparison. I have their rocker blades and splitter and love their look and quality. Contact Ben at WeaponX. He is really helpful.

Quick Reply: Dying a thousand deaths