Sponsored by:

Dying a thousand deaths

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 PM
trinityprof
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dying a thousand deaths

My 2014 Stingray is my daily driver. I love it so much, I talked my husband into selling his Jag and getting a vette for himself. I covered it with Expel when I got it, wash it with great care and added the mods I wanted. Love, love, love. Well, I just went outside with some Quick Detailer because this Texas lady wants it to warm up just a little more to wash the car. Ok--I am venting--but I found a ROAD RASH chip about the size of a match head on the hood just beneath the windshield. I am SOOOOOO upset. I think it is clearly through the protective film and I do remember getting bashed with something hard the other day. Reason for the post? Need to vent. Sigh. Sorry to take up space for this. . . I KNOW it could be WAY worse. I don't feel like being reasonable or logical right now. But, my non-vette friends would not understand my being this distraught and my sweet hubby is not home yet. . . .so you are my ventees. . . .
The following 9 users liked this post by trinityprof:
67435animal (02-05-2016), frankb (02-05-2016), LB001 (02-21-2016), LIE2ME (02-05-2016), owc6 (02-05-2016), Rebel Yell (02-06-2016), redandtan (02-06-2016), SilverScorp (02-05-2016), stingraymyway (02-06-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Ok, we're here for you.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM
River Rat
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about that. I got hit with some rocks off a bottom dump 18 wheeler the other day...thought Id have a broken windshield or some missing paint...got lucky though...I think its all a matter of time if you use it as a daily driver though...sad but true.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Sorry - the first rash is always the worst. If it wasn't covered with Expel I could give you a couple of ideas on how to fix it (I used to paint my show cars. Still do a bit of paint work when I have time). But since it's covered with Expel, I'll let an expel expert chime in. Does the rash really go thru the expel? If not, it's self-healing properties might help. Bottom line, you'll be able to do something to make it so it doesn't show much. Likely only you will see it when you're done, and then only because you know it's there.

I got a couple of minor spots of road rash last fall from a 3k mile road trip. Touched them up and you'd never know.

Just part of the deal.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

yeah, we all go through that.... we learn to live with it...but it's always there to bother us... I always used to buy used cars because they came pre-dinged.... and it was easier to deal with.
take a deep breath, exhale.... repeat... things will look better in the moring... just don't look at it.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by trinityprof
My 2014 Stingray is my daily driver. I love it so much, I talked my husband into selling his Jag and getting a vette for himself. I covered it with Expel when I got it, wash it with great care and added the mods I wanted. Love, love, love. Well, I just went outside with some Quick Detailer because this Texas lady wants it to warm up just a little more to wash the car. Ok--I am venting--but I found a ROAD RASH chip about the size of a match head on the hood just beneath the windshield. I am SOOOOOO upset. I think it is clearly through the protective film and I do remember getting bashed with something hard the other day. Reason for the post? Need to vent. Sigh. Sorry to take up space for this. . . I KNOW it could be WAY worse. I don't feel like being reasonable or logical right now. But, my non-vette friends would not understand my being this distraught and my sweet hubby is not home yet. . . .so you are my ventees. . . .
I feel your pain!! Been there, done that, know how it feels!!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you I would not tell your husband anything !
Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.

Last edited by INTHERED; 02-05-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

A small repair and you will never know it happened.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I have a 2015 SG with 17,000 miles, a DD. I noticed last weekend I saw a chip in the paint ( I could feel it) on the back of the hood near the windshield. The color of this chip under the paint looks black. Is GM using a black primer? I've seen this on the front bumper also in a couple of places but was less concerned because it's the front bumper and it will get hit by low flying objects. These are black also. Thought it was road tar but it will not come off.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 02-05-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:05 PM
trinityprof
Intermediate

Originally Posted by INTHERED
If I were you I would not tell your husband anything !
Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.
Well. . . . It is MY car not his car. . . .so he's not the reason I am upset. On the other hand. . . Expectations of extreme sympathy are not there because someone backed into his new ride earlier this week.

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Sorry - the first rash is always the worst. If it wasn't covered with Expel I could give you a couple of ideas on how to fix it (I used to paint my show cars. Still do a bit of paint work when I have time). But since it's covered with Expel, I'll let an expel expert chime in. Does the rash really go thru the expel? If not, it's self-healing properties might help. Bottom line, you'll be able to do something to make it so it doesn't show much. Likely only you will see it when you're done, and then only because you know it's there.

I got a couple of minor spots of road rash last fall from a 3k mile road trip. Touched them up and you'd never know.

Just part of the deal.
Thanks. Might still want some tips on how to deal with it. If it looks like it is through the expel. . .and it does look like it. . . I will probably want to repair the paint and then recover with expel.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-06-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (Middle Icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Kenny E Ross
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people are so against wrapping your car. I just fail to see the downside. Exotics do it now...

Protects your paint from crap like that and doesnt harm the paint at all. Choose a color you want, dont like it, you can take it off.

Last edited by Kenny E Ross; 02-05-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:34 PM
River Rat
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny E Ross
Some people are so against wrapping your car. I just fail to see the downside. Exotics do it now...

Protects your paint from crap like that and doesnt harm the paint at all. Choose a color you want, dont like it, you can take it off.
Whats it cost to wrap a vette these days?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Put something silky on and seduce your husband this evening. The chip will still be there, but you'll feel better afterward, and it'll rock his mind as a bonus.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM
trinityprof
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Put something silky on and seduce your husband this evening. The chip will still be there, but you'll feel better afterward, and it'll rock his mind as a bonus.
Sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted by River Rat
I paid $2478 for the best quality expel on front end-- including hood, front fenders and doors. Did not wrap back fenders or back of car. My hubby got a better price on a subsequent wrap (his 2016) because we were repeat customers on our third car with the same place. One thing I will say.....they do not balk at replacing a piece if it is not perfectly done. I really like the effect of their clear matte finish on a dark car. That is not what we did, but I saw a black car they did that way and it was awesome.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-06-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (Middle Icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Kenny E Ross
Intermediate

Originally Posted by River Rat

Quotes I got were 2500-3000 bucks in the Raleigh/Durham NC area for a full wrap.

The 3m Vinyl has a 5 year warranty. If its garaged kept on top of not being a daily driver it will last much longer id assume.

My car was black and while I like black its so hard to keep clean and shows every chip n scratch. Plus I just dont think black looks the best on the C7. I like contrast and wanted the vents to pop out. I got a great deal on the car so wasn't gonna let the color stop me. I got like 80% of it wrapped. The guy only charged 1500.00. Its 3m Dragon Fire red. Ive turned more heads and gotten more compliments since having it done so I have no regrets. But I like it so thats all that matters.

Last edited by Kenny E Ross; 02-05-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 PM
trinityprof
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I have a 2015 SG with 17,000 miles, a DD. I noticed last weekend I saw a chip in the paint ( I could feel it) on the back of the hood near the windshield. The color of this chip under the paint looks black. Is GM using a black primer? I've seen this on the front bumper also in a couple of places but was less concerned because it's the front bumper and it will get hit by low flying objects. These are black also. Thought it was road tar but it will not come off.
I don't see black primer, but I think the ding went through all layers.

Originally Posted by Kenny E Ross
Quote I got where 2500-3000 bucks in the Raleigh/Durham NC area.

The 3m Vinyl has a 5 year warranty and If its garaged kept on top of not being a daily driver like mine will be it will probably last much longer than that.

My car was black and while I like black its so hard to keep clean and shows every chip n scratch. Plus I just dont think black looks the best on the C7. I like contrast and wanted the vents to pop out. I got a great deal on the car so wasn't gonna let the color stop me.

I got like 80% of it wrapped guy only charged 1500.00. Its 3m Dragon Fire red. I like it and thats what matters..

It is breathtaking!!!,

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-06-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (Middle Icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
The following users liked this post:
HAD2HAV2 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Kenny E Ross
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trinityprof
It is breathtaking!!!,
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Dying a thousand deaths

Old 02-05-2016, 06:11 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

I've only got around 4,500 miles on mine, and I already have 4 or 5 small chips in the paint, mostly around the nose. I also have a couple of nicks in the windshield.

They all hurt a bit, but it's only a car, right? Just keep telling yourself that... That's what I do.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

It sucks when your car gets its first few scars. But just like tools, if they don't get a bit banged up, it means your not using them enough...
Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
I've only got around 4,500 miles on mine, and I already have 4 or 5 small chips in the paint, mostly around the nose. I also have a couple of nicks in the windshield.

They all hurt a bit, but it's only a car, right? Just keep telling yourself that... That's what I do.
drs, you are quite correct, it is only a car. The problem with the C7 as with other Corvettes when they were new is it’s a car that many people can't afford or is just plain impractical.

Quick Reply: Dying a thousand deaths