C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Torque Converter installed - What a difference!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Is there an optimum cruise control speed setting and/or RPM level that needs to be set in order to watch the RPMs to see if they move up and down?

What exactly does "slow to go into the gears" mean? Rough shifting? RPMs climb to 4000 but it doesn't shift to the next higher gear?
The speed does not matter as long as it is constant. I placed the cruise control on at around 70 and watched my RPM's. They would move up and down a little. Your RPMs should hold steady while at constant speed unless your transmission is shifting from V4 to V8 to go up a hill.

Slow to go into gears. When I first got into my car and placed it into reverse to back out of the garage, the transmission would not shift and I would just sit for several seconds before the car would start in reverse. Also after the transmission warmed up and I stopped to do some shopping, maybe 2hrs, when I came out and started the car and placed it in reverse, it would jerk into gear. So I guess slow to go into gears and also jerking into gear.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Congratulations on getting your issue resolved!

Did the dealer list the part number for the new converter? Sometimes they don't but I thought I would ask anyway.

I can see the techs getting very good at doing this swap!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Congratulations on getting your issue resolved!

Did the dealer list the part number for the new converter? Sometimes they don't but I thought I would ask anyway.

I can see the techs getting very good at doing this swap!

They did not show the part number on my paperwork. They have another C-7 2015 A8 coming in on Monday for torque converter failure. Practice makes perfect!!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
mine is stored for winter ..400 miles on it ...but the only issue i did notice was ..first shift when cold ...going 1st to 2nd gear was delayed even if i let car warm up for 15 minutes that first shift was not right ..
Mine did that, cured last November with a new TCM software update and subsequent "fast-learn" procedure. Not sure when the update was released, but it was sometime last summer. What is the build date of your car? Only cars built after Sept. 29, 2014 can accept this update, I'm told.

Last edited by iclick; 02-10-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:51 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Mine did that, cured last November with a new TCM software update and subsequent "fast-learn" procedure. Not sure when the update was released, but it was sometime last summer. What is the build date of your car?
- mid august
Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iclick
Mine did that, cured last November with a new TCM software update and subsequent "fast-learn" procedure. Not sure when the update was released, but it was sometime last summer. What is the build date of your car?
October, 2014
Old 02-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Orange Z06 Girl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Picked up my 2015 A8 from the dealer today after they installed a new torque converter. They also replaced my transmission filter. WOW what a difference. It is like driving another car. I have no symptoms of a bad torque converter. My transmission shifts very smooth and you can't tell when it shifts from V8 to V4 and back. When I slow down to stop, the transmission shifts smoothly and you do not feel the transmission down shifting. The RPM's at constant speed DO NOT move up and down. I enjoy driving my car again. The service writer said if you don't eventually have the bad torque converter changed out your transmission will fail. He feels GM at some point will have a recall. You would think it would be cheaper to replace the torque converters than replace transmissions.
Do you think an aftermarket converter would help? We have a 2015 z06. Our first a8 failed at 13,000 miles in September. After that They put a new a8 in. When it got a couple thousand miles it started shifting into reverse and first hard again. We took it in and they reflashed it and said it was because our trans learned how to shift hard when it was learning itself. The reflash did help the problem but we parked it two days later so not sure how long that fix will last. We have since gone wild with mods....and the converter is on our list. I finally found out about the circle d one yesterday. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-8l90.html

Last edited by Orange Z06 Girl; 02-06-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Orange Z06 Girl
Do you think an aftermarket converter would help? We have a 2015 z06. Our first a8 failed at 13,000 miles in September. After that They put a new a8 in. When it got a couple thousand miles it started shifting into reverse and first hard again. We took it in and they reflashed it and said it was because our trans learned how to shift hard when it was learning itself. The reflash did help the problem but we parked it two days later so not sure how long that fix will last. We have since gone wild with mods....and the converter is on our list. I finally found out about the circle d one yesterday. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-8l90.html
Maybe some members who had a successful reflash will post. If you have a bad torque converter, let the dealer install a new torque converter for you under warranty. It would help to go to a dealer who has diagnosed torque converter failures and their tech has replaced C-7 A8 transmissions or torque converters.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 PM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

My Z51 Coupe is an early 2015 with the 8-speed. So far I have not noticed any issues with the transmission but it only has 4,000 miles on it. It is currently in hibernation mode in my heated garage and won't see daylight until April. I have not been back to the dealer yet to reflash the transmission or the PDR. In fact, it has never been back to the dealer. I have a lift and do my own oil changes. I replaced the oil filter only at 300 miles to lower the oil level and then replaced oil and filter at 500 miles as recommended.
I intend to take it on the highway in the Spring and turn on the cruise control to see if it surges at all. I don't usually use cruise control except on a long trip. If I do notice a problem I will try to get the dealer to replace the torque converter before the transmission is damaged. Maybe GM will issue a recall before then but I won't hold my breath for that to happen!

Last edited by FredC7; 02-06-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:41 PM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Congrats.

Yours is the first report I've read, from anyone who has replaced TC. Glad it worked out so well. I have all the symptoms, and have an appt. on Tues. with a local dealer. Just wondering if there has been any downside at all, like new rattles, leaks, misaligned body panel, etc. How long did the dealer have the car?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LB001
Yours is the first report I've read, from anyone who has replaced TC. Glad it worked out so well. I have all the symptoms, and have an appt. on Tues. with a local dealer. Just wondering if there has been any downside at all, like new rattles, leaks, misaligned body panel, etc. How long did the dealer have the car?
I had to find a dealer who had already diagnosed several torque converter failures and he had discussed the solution with GM. As I have mentioned, the first dealer I took my car to said nothing was wrong with my transmission. No downside, have not noticed any leaks, rattles and I did check the rear bumper closely because it has to come off to remove the tranny. The dealer kept my car 4 days; however, they decided to change my transmission filter and had to overnight it. I did ask the tech when he removed the tranny filter if he observed any metal filings in the pan and he said no filings were observed. So apparently the bad torque converter does not damage the transmission. Good luck with your dealer!
The following users liked this post:
LB001 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:39 AM
Orange Z06 Girl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some members who had a successful reflash will post. If you have a bad torque converter, let the dealer install a new torque converter for you under warranty. It would help to go to a dealer who has diagnosed torque converter failures and their tech has replaced C-7 A8 transmissions or torque converters.
I'm nt saying our new ransmission has a bad converter....but it was replaced mid October so I bet it has the old version. That being said if we can reolace the tc now and not have another one blow we will. We have been looking for an aftermarket converter anyhow but not sure we want to invest anymore into a8 stuff. We were told by our dealer and GM that we voided our warranty driving it in a manner inconsistent with what it was meant for...and they weren't even going to warranty the first transmission failure....but they ended up paying for it out of a "goodwill gesture". We have snce added headers, e85, meth kit, tune, CAI, pulleys, catch can and NOS spray bars installed in the blower....you can bet nothing will be done "goodwill gesture" anymore. When the transmission blew we had 13,000 miles and it was completely stock. They said there was no fix for anything on the transmission and the only options were let them replace it or trade it in. lol We know that's BS but funny they have ego to think that....anyhow....I am not sure our tc failed....I had also read about one of the clutch housings developing a crack. Our symptoms were similar to that....but they are similar to this too. It had trouble shifting itself up when I had it in auto mode on the road course...then I parked it and we waited for hubby session and it wouldn't go. We had had it reflashed about 5000 miles.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

I had to find a dealer who had already diagnosed several torque converter failures and he had discussed the solution with GM. As I have mentioned, the first dealer I took my car to said nothing was wrong with my transmission. No downside, have not noticed any leaks, rattles and I did check the rear bumper closely because it has to come off to remove the tranny. The dealer kept my car 4 days; however, they decided to change my transmission filter and had to overnight it. I did ask the tech when he removed the tranny filter if he observed any metal filings in the pan and he said no filings were observed. So apparently the bad torque converter does not damage the transmission. Good luck with your dealer!
I just returned from the dealer. They took my car for a test drive, and promptly ordered me a new TC and Transmission. Parts should arrive in a "few weeks".
Formula52 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

I just returned from the dealer. They took my car for a test drive, and promptly ordered me a new TC and Transmission. Parts should arrive in a "few weeks".
Great news, let us know how you like the new TC & Tranny. Will make a BIG difference!!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Great news, let us know how you like the new TC & Tranny. Will make a BIG difference!!!!

Glad to hear all is well and no damage to the car.

Did you have the "HARSH 1-2 SHIFT" first drive of the day prior to repairs ??

tks
Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,132 Likes on 2,236 Posts

q

What year is your C7?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 767guy
Glad to hear all is well and no damage to the car.

Did you have the "HARSH 1-2 SHIFT" first drive of the day prior to repairs ??

tks
NO, I never had the "Harsh 1-2 Shift", I did have a jerk when I placed car in reverse. If you have only the Harsh 1-2 Shift you may not have a torque converter failure.
767guy (02-09-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To New Torque Converter installed - What a difference!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:50 AM
JHH83
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2015 Z51 A8 with ~16,000 miles was having the EXACT issues yours was with the vibration, literally exactly as how you described it. I took it in last week for an oil change and mentioned it and they diagnosed it as a bad torque converter. They had to order one but said it was safe to drive and wouldn't do any damage to the car in the meantime. I got the call yesterday that it had arrived so I'm dropping it off Thursday morning to be replaced. Supposedly they can do it in one day. I'm hoping my results are as good as yours were!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Glad I have decided on an M7 if I order a C7 Z.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Glad I have decided on an M7 if I order a C7 Z.

I wouldn't be too glad, because as of October of last year every single 8L90 that leaves the plant comes equipped with the new TC that they are talking about in this thread.

So if you haven't bought a C7 yet, this is a non-issue for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Torque Converter installed - What a difference!