Side Skirt questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Side Skirt questions

For a C7 Stingray (not Z06), I have a couple side skirt questions:

1. What's the difference between C7Carbon's GTX Side skirts and the C7Carbon Z06 OEM Style side skirts? From what I saw they both look similar but there's about a $90 difference in pricing between the two in carbon flash.

2. Do both of the above 'need' drilling and attachment? Or is it only the C7Carbon Z06 OEM style one that needs drilling and can't be attached with double sided tape?

3. When they say that the hardware needed is included, do these two come with the tape already attached? Or is it only the additional attachment rivets/scrivets?

4. Do the RPI Z06 style side skirts come with tape already in place?

5. If not, 'can' the RPI Z06 Style side skirts be attached with tape or do you need to drill too?

Last edited by graj6; 02-07-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:53 PM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't speak for the RPI But with G3carbon On their site they show a installation that the holes are pre drilled. They also show the tape installed. I get mine in about a week. You can PM Alan at G3carbon and he can help you better then I.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-10-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
G3Carbon (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 01:05 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Old 02-07-2016, 01:46 PM
G3Carbon
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Generally speaking, any OEM style side skirt can be installed with the 3m tape. That having been said, I sincerely don't understand why people shy away from the rivets. Aside from the fact that it's a much more secure installation system, plus the fact that you get a much tighter gap at the body of the car, using rivets is exactly the way they would have been installed had you simply check the option box from the dealer.

The holes are drilled during the PDI process, not at the factory during initial assembly.

That having been said, we've got hundreds of these things out in the marketplace using the factory bolts and 3m double-sided tape installation method and we've had zero reports of failure.

When taping, it's important to take a look at the overall construction of an individual side skirt to see if that's the safest method for you. Specifically, I've seen quite a few skirts that are designed differently from ours. We added an additional flange to the back side of our skirts to ensure a more positive contact point along the body of the car.

If you look at the factory skirts, and they do not have an additional flange like ours do, you'll see the skirt essentially stops about half an inch past the bottom of the rivet line. What that means is you're asking the tape to support a lot more downforce than it otherwise would if there were an additional horizontal flange to take some of the load.

Let me see if I can find a picture of the factory style skirts to compare, but in the meantime here's a quick video of a set of our carbon fiber skirts fresh from clear coat.

In the video you'll see we've got a wider back side flange, plus an additional area built in that will allow for the retention of leave-in jacking pucks, as well as minimizing your exposure to crushing the skirts with a jack in general.

My apologies in advance for my stupid and silly voice in the video. It's a work in progress. Haha

Old 02-08-2016, 12:39 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, thank you for the detailed responses, I'll consider those options as well.

However, I'd really appreciate more answers on the questions I asked above.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

^^^ Best info is obtain from the source of purchase.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-10-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: No need to requote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
G3Carbon (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:35 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by G3Carbon
If you're only interested in the above mentioned product, you've got to go directly to the source. Only the manufacturer can explain how the product was intended to be installed.

Just remember who was here to answer questions when you asked and who's just here when it's time to take your money.

Good point. I'll consider G3Carbon too for sure (I'm many months away from a car haha) , I was only asking about the two above since I've seen many members recommend them and thought they would share their installation steps.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:38 PM
G3Carbon
Drifting

Originally Posted by graj6
Good point. I'll consider G3Carbon too for sure (I'm many months away from a car haha) , I was only asking about the two above since I've seen many members recommend them and thought they would share their installation steps.
Nah man, i totally get it.

We've been around a minute, but only came on board here with CF last month.

We've been advertising over on www.stingrayforums.Com since the C7 launched, so you'll find a LOT of happy G3 family members over there, if you need a reference.

Either way, even if it's not our product, I'm happy to help where I can.

As long as you get what you want, from me or not, I'm happy to hear it

Last edited by G3Carbon; 02-08-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Nah man, intotallybget it

We've been around a minute, but only came on board here with CF last month.

We've been advertising over on www.stingrayforums.Com since the C7 launched, so you'll find a LOT of happy G3 family members over there, if you need a reference.

Either way, even if it's not our product, I'm happy to help where I can.

As long as you get what you want, from me or not, I'm happy to hear it
Yeah I'm on that forum too, I'll totally check the threads there out.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

1. What's the difference between C7Carbon's GTX Side skirts and the C7Carbon Z06 OEM Style side skirts? From what I saw they both look similar but there's about a $90 difference in pricing between the two in carbon flash.

2. Do both of the above 'need' drilling and attachment? Or is it only the C7Carbon Z06 OEM style one that needs drilling and can't be attached with double sided tape?

3. When they say that the hardware needed is included, do these two come with the tape already attached? Or is it only the additional attachment rivets/scrivets?

5. If not, 'can' the RPI Z06 Style side skirts be attached with tape or do you need to drill too?

graj6:

I have the C7carbon.com GTX side skirts installed on my base 2015 Corvette 1LT. The GTX Side Skirts are the Z06 style. The ones I purchased from C7carbon are FiberGlass, shipped pre-primed ready for painting and installation. I bought my set for $389.00 both sides, delivered.

The C7carbon.com side skirts, (not to be confused with G3carbon) Z06 Style come in Fiberglass, Carbon Flash Paint or real Carbon Fiber. Installation is about 25 minutes on each side at best. I used the 5 OEM GM washer screws that are already in the lower rocker panels then drilled 5 extra 5/16th holes and used the GM OEM Plastic scrivets to secure the side skirts. The C7carbon skirts come with 1/8" rivets, if you choose to use them. I did not attempt to use any tape to secure the side skirts.

I painted the C7carbon GTX fiberglass side skirts myself as a DIY Project. They turned out great, using a Carbon Mist Metallic paint. Of course I pre-sanded, primed, painted and clear coated the side skirts.

To my knowledge, the RPI Z06 side skirts are identical in style to the C7carbon Z06 style side skirts.

For myself, the C7carbon.com side skirts presented the best value to me, after all my research. No other vendor could beat the price.

If interested in the C7carbon.com product, I highly suggest that you call C7carbon.com, ask for "Anwar" who works with many CF members. They usually have some special pricing for CF members.

The images below should be of help to you.
Attached Images      
The following 3 users liked this post by nmvettec7:
C5_LS1 (02-09-2016), graj6 (02-08-2016), Strake (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:59 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much nmvettec7!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

OK... I have the C7Carbon GTX side skirts and front splitter. I have the Carbon Fiber on both pieces so I can only comment on that! I have on both a 2014 and 2016. All were installed using only the factory front bolts on the splitters without the 3M tape and the side skirts were installed using only the factory bolts plus 3M tape. I did not use the rivets and bolts that were enclosed with the parts. The splitter and side skirts have been on my 2014 since Feb of 2014 without any issues and on my wifes 2016 since Sept 2015 again without any issues. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raiderh20boy:
graj6 (02-08-2016), Strake (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Thank you Raider!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I too went with the C7 Carbon GTX side skirts and Front Splitter in CF. They are in route to me now and I haven't decided how I will attached the side skirts, besides the 5 existing factory screw locations.... Once I receive them I'll decide if I want to drill more holes and rivet them, or use plastic push rivets (christmas tree style), or go with double back tape.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
graj6:

I have the C7carbon.com GTX side skirts installed on my base 2015 Corvette 1LT. The GTX Side Skirts are the Z06 style. The ones I purchased from C7carbon are FiberGlass, shipped pre-primed ready for painting and installation. I bought my set for $389.00 both sides, delivered.

The C7carbon.com side skirts, (not to be confused with G3carbon) Z06 Style come in Fiberglass, Carbon Flash Paint or real Carbon Fiber. Installation is about 25 minutes on each side at best. I used the 5 OEM GM washer screws that are already in the lower rocker panels then drilled 5 extra 5/16th holes and used the GM OEM Plastic scrivets to secure the side skirts. The C7carbon skirts come with 1/8" rivets, if you choose to use them. I did not attempt to use any tape to secure the side skirts.

I painted the C7carbon GTX fiberglass side skirts myself as a DIY Project. They turned out great, using a Carbon Mist Metallic paint. Of course I pre-sanded, primed, painted and clear coated the side skirts.

To my knowledge, the RPI Z06 side skirts are identical in style to the C7carbon Z06 style side skirts.

For myself, the C7carbon.com side skirts presented the best value to me, after all my research. No other vendor could beat the price.

If interested in the C7carbon.com product, I highly suggest that you call C7carbon.com, ask for "Anwar" who works with many CF members. They usually have some special pricing for CF members.

The images below should be of help to you.
How long ago did you purchase these? I checked their website and they are selling them for $499.00 now. Was the price you paid a forum discount? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

$499 for painted zo6 style side skirts. *raises eyebrow*
I don't think it is wise to disparage any competing vendors.
Strake (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Going on 19K miles on my '15 with C7 GTX CF skirts and splitter; used only OEM mounting fasteners added 3M tape (from Home Depot) in-between stock hardware. Absolutely no issues with the tape, super E-Z to install....about 15 to 20 minutes per skirt, about 30 for the splitter (had to do a little trimming to get the OEM outer rubber splash guards to clear)

Get notified of new replies

To Side Skirt questions

Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 02-08-2016, 10:21 PM
G3Carbon
Drifting

No one is disparaging anyone.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Playboy2
How long ago did you purchase these? I checked their website and they are selling them for $499.00 now. Was the price you paid a forum discount? Thanks in advance.
See post #11 and the date of the invoice is clearly stated.

I was one of the first to buy these GTX Fiberglass Z06 Style side skirts from C7carbon.com. At the time, they were priced slightly higher.

I did not order them from the CF vendors website, but called C7carbon directly, and asked to speak with the sales manager. I was connected with Anwar. We discussed the make-up of the side skirts and informed him I was a CF member. He provided the price as shown on my actual invoice. It was a reduced price for a CF member.

I have had them on the C7 for 1 year with no issues what-so-ever. As stated, I did my own DIY paint project and self-installation.

They look great and I considered them to be a great price.

I would not let any negative comments from a competing CF vendor on these side skirts to deter you away from a purchase. Complete your own due diligence and call C7carbon.com if you have any questions. These side skirts are produced in and shipped from San Diego, CA.

At the time I made my purchase, not one other CF vendor or website could come close to matching the C7carbon.com price point.
Playboy2 (02-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Side Skirt questions