C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed VetteFX stinger stripe and..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM
FawkeeMcGee
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just installed VetteFX stinger stripe and..

I'm not super impressed. (OK see update at bottom of post, officially truly impressed.) :/ For anyone considering getting one here are some things to know.

#1 - Carbon Flash (Black Metallic) color does not match Carbon Flash on vehicle. It is a clearly different shade, decent bit lighter. I'd say its a really dark gray as opposed to black. I'm not picky but they are really not close. At least the one I got wasn't. See pic below.

#2 The transfer tape/backing is too thick and hard to see through. This caused me two issues.

First, see pic above. I have a tiny bit of white between the stripe and vent. I couldn't see through the paper enough to know exactly how far down i was getting. Not a huge deal and actually looks pretty cool but still made it hard to tell exactly where it was landing. If I did it again I'd probably just take the backing off first and take my chances.

Second, even though I made the whole thing completely flush with the car after pulling off the backing there were things that no one would have any way of seeing or feeling due to the thickness and color density of the backing. See below. While that looks almost like a scratch it's actually a very thin wrinkle. The backing was completely flat against the car so there was no way to see this until the stripe was fixed and the backing removed. It is possible for the backing to be flush feeling while the vinyl isn't. I've included a picture of that as well. There are also a few tiny bubbles but I'm hoping some drying time will remove those. That said, i only had this happen in that one spot so it really is luck of the draw I guess.

Don't take this as a bash as its not. While shopping around I looked for specifics but couldn't find a whole lot. I decided to make this post as what I know now would've been useful to me before my purchase and will hopefully help someone else at some point.

UPDATE:

I've been busy and didn't contact Sean at VetteFX right away. As soon as I did he got me pics showing the stripe and sent it on its way. It got here quick and while I can't install it just yet I put it up to my other carbon flash parts and its as close as anyone could hope for. It's perfect.

Sean thanks again. It looks great. I guess now I do understand the legendary customer service and even after this thread. I will definitely be sending you my business and others in the future.

Mirror on left, stripe on right. Picture is pretty terrible but colors are perfect match! Thanks again Sean/VetteFX!

Last edited by FawkeeMcGee; 03-04-2016 at 07:18 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by FawkeeMcGee:
DB_Florida (02-13-2016), frankb (02-08-2016), geo2000 (02-10-2016), george vee (02-08-2016), PegasusCapital (02-08-2016), rcooper (02-08-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 AM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. Has VetteFX been of any help in dealing with/helping resolve the problems you had?
The following 2 users liked this post by PegasusCapital:
cor66vette (02-09-2016), FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Well your post has convinced me to not get one. Thanks for posting.
The following users liked this post:
FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Did you talk to Sean at Vettefx? At least let them know, see what they say.
FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Did you install this wet or dry? I bought mine from VetteFX as well and very pleased. The color is almost a dead match, and it looks factory. I would call them to discuss. Your color doesn't look right. GL

Last edited by dovervold; 02-08-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: deleted one picture
FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

i too suggest you talk to Sean about this. I had a window tinter install mine and it is flawless and perfectly matches the carbon flash. Good luck.
FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:30 AM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

You shouldn't need masking on this piece. Wet application and squeegee with felt covered end would have worked perfectly. I would call seller and see about possible replacement without masking.
FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I did the rooftop blackout dry and botched the job. Wet is the only way to go... the color match was perfect on mine so email Sean Dunshee azbowtie@icloud.com and show him your pics. BTW if any coupe owners want that roof blackout piece done you need to use the gloss black because my visible carbon roof has a different tint from the carbon flash vinyl. Look how blacking it out changes the flow of the lines on the roof windshield to hatch glass.

Last edited by felkebg; 02-08-2016 at 11:46 AM.
FawkeeMcGee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 12:11 PM
FawkeeMcGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by PegasusCapital
Thanks for sharing your experience. Has VetteFX been of any help in dealing with/helping resolve the problems you had?
I haven't contacted them. I posted this in the middle of the night after just finishing.

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Did you talk to Sean at Vettefx? At least let them know, see what they say.
Will do.

Originally Posted by dovervold
Did you install this wet or dry? I bought mine from VetteFX as well and very pleased. The color is almost a dead match, and it looks factory. I would call them to discuss. Your color doesn't look right. GL

Wet. It seemed like it went great until I pulled off that backing and saw it. I'll contact them and see if I somehow got the wrong color or see if anyone else has reported this. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 PM
FawkeeMcGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Well your post has convinced me to not get one. Thanks for posting.
By the sound of it this isn't the normal experience so maybe I just received the wrong one. That thick backing still sucks though.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:25 PM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like you may have skipped step #4 in the application instructions....

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

WET METHOD - WITH TRANSFER TAPE

IMPORTANT -

If your decals came rolled in a shipping tube please remove and lay flat. Allow a few hours before installing. Applying a book or other heavy flat object (that will not damage the vinyl) can aid in flattening your stripe. Take your time and you will get professional results, if you are not comfortable installing we always recommend having a local tint shop install.

CONDITIONS -

It is best to install your stripe in temperatures between 70 and 90 degrees F. If it is too cold your vinyl will not stick. If it is too hot your vinyl may stick improperly and stretch.

TOOLS-

-32 oz spray bottle filled with water & 3-4 drops of liquid soap

-Squeegee (credit card or license wrapped in a soft paper towel will work)

-Measuring Tape, Masking Tape

1- Clean surface VERY well using isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove any old wax etc.

2- Line stripe up using measuring tape, use masking tape to mark guide lines to aid in lining stripe up once you start installation.

3- Spray a liberal amount of soap and water on the surface where you will be installing your stripe

4- Remove backing paper from vinyl and spray solution on adhesive side of the stripe

5- Apply stripe to desired position, you will have a little time to slide stripe around to adjust its location, keep spraying solution under stripe until you have it in the right position.

6- Using your non-squeegee hand apply a small amount of pressure to keep stripe from moving. Using the squeegee, lock the stripe into place by taking a squeegee stroke down the middle of the stripe.

7- Using a small amount of pressure squeegee water out starting from the middle of the stripe working your way out to each edge. If there are areas where the water pools up simply use a dry paper towel wrapped around the squeegee and slowly soak up the excess water. If you are trying to wrap the material around an edge a hairdryer will help the material to adhere.

8- When all of the water and bubbles are removed from under the stripe you are done. If your stripes came with transfer tape make sure the stripe is good and set and then remove the transfer tape pulling up at a 45 degree angle, pulling slowly to not disturb the stripe. Park your car in the sun and give it a chance to dry before you drive the car.

Do NOT wash the vehicle for at least 48-72 hours - You may see some small water blisters under the stripe for the first few days, this is completely normal, setting the car in the sun and allowing them to dry naturally for 3-4 days should remove all of the left over water.

9- Enjoy your new VETTEFX stripe kit!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:45 PM
FawkeeMcGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by felkebg
Sounds like you may have skipped step #4 in the application instructions....

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

WET METHOD - WITH TRANSFER TAPE

IMPORTANT -

If your decals came rolled in a shipping tube please remove and lay flat. Allow a few hours before installing. Applying a book or other heavy flat object (that will not damage the vinyl) can aid in flattening your stripe. Take your time and you will get professional results, if you are not comfortable installing we always recommend having a local tint shop install.

CONDITIONS -

It is best to install your stripe in temperatures between 70 and 90 degrees F. If it is too cold your vinyl will not stick. If it is too hot your vinyl may stick improperly and stretch.

TOOLS-

-32 oz spray bottle filled with water & 3-4 drops of liquid soap

-Squeegee (credit card or license wrapped in a soft paper towel will work)

-Measuring Tape, Masking Tape

1- Clean surface VERY well using isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove any old wax etc.

2- Line stripe up using measuring tape, use masking tape to mark guide lines to aid in lining stripe up once you start installation.

3- Spray a liberal amount of soap and water on the surface where you will be installing your stripe

4- Remove backing paper from vinyl and spray solution on adhesive side of the stripe

5- Apply stripe to desired position, you will have a little time to slide stripe around to adjust its location, keep spraying solution under stripe until you have it in the right position.

6- Using your non-squeegee hand apply a small amount of pressure to keep stripe from moving. Using the squeegee, lock the stripe into place by taking a squeegee stroke down the middle of the stripe.

7- Using a small amount of pressure squeegee water out starting from the middle of the stripe working your way out to each edge. If there are areas where the water pools up simply use a dry paper towel wrapped around the squeegee and slowly soak up the excess water. If you are trying to wrap the material around an edge a hairdryer will help the material to adhere.

8- When all of the water and bubbles are removed from under the stripe you are done. If your stripes came with transfer tape make sure the stripe is good and set and then remove the transfer tape pulling up at a 45 degree angle, pulling slowly to not disturb the stripe. Park your car in the sun and give it a chance to dry before you drive the car.

Do NOT wash the vehicle for at least 48-72 hours - You may see some small water blisters under the stripe for the first few days, this is completely normal, setting the car in the sun and allowing them to dry naturally for 3-4 days should remove all of the left over water.

9- Enjoy your new VETTEFX stripe kit!
I'm think I might just be getting lazy with my terminology. I removed it from the backing. Until you remove the backing there is no "adhesive side." The part you see in the pics is the transfer tape. I was just referring to it as the backing. Or I could be wrong and that is what they are referring to as backing. Either way, there was no color transfer. That's just the color it is.

Last edited by FawkeeMcGee; 02-08-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:19 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Having seen issues with the decal approach, I researched the idea of just going with a painted stinger.....no issues with matching, can be touched up with Mr. Color Chip, looks and shines like the rest of the car, two step paint; can not feel an edge between the two colors . Paid may local (Chevy dealer) body shop $500 (same price as decal when ordering car) and got a much better looking stinger IMO.

NOTE; the paint goes all the way around the edge of the hood grille.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
redvetteman97
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I hope u guys are right about being spot on with the carbon flash color. I just ordered the singer hood stripe from them yesterday .
Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting. I they have another color that is what you have (as in you didn't get carbon flash). I've been wanting to do this, but never did...

Originally Posted by redvetteman97
I hope u guys are right about being spot on with the carbon flash color. I just ordered the singer hood stripe from them yesterday .
That looks great! What do they do, paint that portion and then re-clear the whole hood again?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I got mine from Vette stripes, and all worked out great. Regarding the scratch marks don't worry about it, the film should be "self-healing".

Those scratches are now gone.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I think anyone who has a problem with a vendor and blasts them on social media before talking to them, is really a bad deal.........Sean is straight up guy and does not deserve this...

So glad I'm outta retail.....

My vetteFX stinger was fine, color was a match and I had it installed wet...

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed VetteFX stinger stripe and..

Old 02-08-2016, 03:20 PM
FawkeeMcGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
I think anyone who has a problem with a vendor and blasts them on social media before talking to them, is really a bad deal.........Sean is straight up guy and does not deserve this...

So glad I'm outta retail.....

My vetteFX stinger was fine, color was a match and I had it installed wet...

Who is blasting them? I posted an experience with a product. I've said nothing about the vendor or customer service. Stand up guys or not has about 0 to do with what I posted. Thanks for your input though.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I really like the split stripe and even though the one shown here's color is off, I still am tempted to get one. Only thing is, I'd get a window guy to install it.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Well your post has convinced me to not get one. ...
Same here. I am swayed by the suggestion of having the black stripe professionally painted. Your account will make doing that easier.

Thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: Just installed VetteFX stinger stripe and..