Sponsored by:

Suede seat insert or not . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:00 PM
nethole
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Suede seat insert or not . . .

I was able to sit in an 2LT with the suede insert, and it felt nice. Really it felt comfy, better than 'most leather seats'. My question is.... is the almost microfiber like insert somethign that'll get dirty like 'old cloth seats'? Is it really an upgrade? Or will it be something that really won't be missed? --Looking a couple of the vehicles on kerbeck's and the other forum sponsor's sites, but I dont' see any with the 'upgraded seats'. Not really interested in losing the couple percent discount by ordering instead of picking instock, if I can help it
The following users liked this post:
gbslagle (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I currently own an Audi S5 with Alcantara/Micro suede inserts. I love them. Cool in the summer. Warm in the winter. And holds your body in place through the G's. The suede in my car is white and has stood the test of time. Not sure whether the quality in the C7 is the same.

I'm held back a bit because i will probably order 3LT and im not sure I want to pay the extra for Nappa when 50% of the seats don't get it. I still want the better leather on the other parts.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 PM
CedarZ4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm ordering mine with suede/alcantara as my last car had it. Benefits: Not as slippery as leather and believe it or not wears much better than leather. After about 20k miles my leather was starting to wrinkle. The suede seating surface was like new, and doesn't require any care but a damp microfiber towel.

In regards to the 3LT and Napa leather... if I'm not mistaken Napa Leather is only the seat inserts. If you chose the suede option it replaces the napa leather. In essence, your 3LT seats would be no different than a 1/2LT with the suede option.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

It's a Corvette not a Cadillac!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

That's the one of the two things I couldn't order with my original order. The other was the suede (actually Alcantara leather) steering wheel and shift boot. I got those after market and it's even better in that my steering wheel is black and red.

I have competition seats and wanted the suede inserts, as a slightly darker red but couldn't order them due to some combination of options on my original order. Does any body have a picture of competition seats with suede inserts? Are they also Alcantara? Are there any after market companies doing that?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Is this true? I haven't seen this documented anywhere. I would have assumed the seat bolsters, armrests and dash would be Nappa...

Originally Posted by CedarZ4
In regards to the 3LT and Napa leather... if I'm not mistaken Napa Leather is only the seat inserts. If you chose the suede option it replaces the napa leather. In essence, your 3LT seats would be no different than a 1/2LT with the suede option.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

True. But some of us vette newbies love everything about the C7 and want the luxo interior too . Maybe a gen X thing. Can't stand to think what the Millenials version of the vette will be in 10 years. Probably electric and self driving....ugh

Originally Posted by PegasusCapital
Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

All I can think of is my old sued coat never could get it clean.I went with the leather and it's superior to my C6 seats. C7 has the best seats ever.

Last edited by Red Rochester; 02-10-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Does any body have a picture of competition seats with suede inserts? Are they also Alcantara? Are there any after market companies doing that?
There are a couple Black Alcantara Comp Seat pics in here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uede-trim.html
Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Suede inserts in my 200mile Impala loaner were already dirty before I put 1700 miles on it. I agree that the keep you in place better, but this also means you cannot slide in and out. You have to climb into or out of the spot you will sit.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:55 PM
CedarZ4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Is this true? I haven't seen this documented anywhere. I would have assumed the seat bolsters, armrests and dash would be Nappa...
Excuse my wording. I meant that if you opt for the suede seat insert option, there will not be napa leather for your seat. The 3LT only adds napa leather for the seat on the inserts only (which the suede option replaces). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the seat bolster does not get leather on any trim. You will still have it on the arm rest, dash, and door though.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
CedarZ4
Advanced

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Suede inserts in my 200mile Impala loaner were already dirty before I put 1700 miles on it. I agree that the keep you in place better, but this also means you cannot slide in and out. You have to climb into or out of the spot you will sit.
Interesting. This may change my decision to get the suede. Can anyone confirm if the suede is actually suede (aka, suede leather) and not alcantara (synthetic 'suede'). I had the alcantara on my previous car, which didn't wear. I just assumed the C7 had alcantara but just labeled as suede. Real suede leather does wear very easily (as evident in apparel as mentioned above, or in footwear)

Last edited by CedarZ4; 02-10-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

The Corvette inserts are fake suede. Chevy calls it microsuede, or somesuch. Microfiber suede and real suede are two different things. Don't make judgements on the microsuede seats based on an old leather coat.

The microsuede is GM's version of Alcantara, which is used in multi-hundred thousand dollar Ferraris and other exotics, Mercedes and BMWs, and other high end cars. It's far more durable than real suede.

I have black microsuede seats in mine, and after 9 months and almost 9,000 miles it looks pretty much new. Chevy says to clean it with warm water, and I believe that's all it'll need.

Mike Furman, from Criswell, says it's much cooler than leather in the summer (they certainly seem cooler than the leather in my last car), and it seems the seat heaters may work better than they do on the full leather seats, too.

And I believe the side bolsters, on both seat bottom and back, are leather. The non-seating surfaces are probably fake.

Last edited by meyerweb; 02-10-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Bencher
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost 25k miles on my 2014 3LT black with grey microsuede inserts and the seats still look brand new. Great stuff! Love the look and it keeps my *** cool in the summer.

Last edited by Bencher; 02-10-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by PegasusCapital
HUH????
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I am not sure what kind of suede options you can get. Mine is on the steering wheel, seats, and shift ****.

I do notice at times they might get a dirty spot on them from time to time. they have special cleaners for suede car parts. Once i clean them it looks great again. I have mixed feelings about the suede in my car overall. I think it makes the car more special and has a cool factor to them. BUT it also adds less worry not to get them dirty.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I have the 3LT Brownstone with Sueded Microfiber inserts, steering wheel, shifter **** and boot, and upper trim. I have competition seats. Love the look, feel, and grip of the suede. Stays clean and much prefer it over the looks of the leather. I get a lot of compliments on it, looks very rich.

BJ

Get notified of new replies

To Suede seat insert or not . . .

Old 02-10-2016, 10:56 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by OVERULD
I have the 3LT Brownstone with Sueded Microfiber inserts, Stays clean and much prefer it over the looks of the leather. I get a lot of compliments on it, looks very rich.
Agree!!!!! I added a John Caravaggio wheel.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Glad the car we bought used had the fake suede inserts, they look better than the full leather seats and they don't slide around at AutoX and HPDE.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:44 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CedarZ4
If I'm not mistaken Napa Leather is only the seat inserts. If you chose the suede option it replaces the napa leather. In essence, your 3LT seats would be no different than a 1/2LT with the suede option.
The Napa leather is throughout. You can feel the difference on the dashboard between a 2LT and a 3LT.

Quick Reply: Suede seat insert or not . . .