Sponsored by:

Considering buying a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Trainor91
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a lemon

I came across a 2014 stingray z51 3lt manual 16k miles on the internet at a very low price. Called the dealer to ask about the car. They said that it was a buyback from gm. Gm had fixed a broken camshaft, faulty fuel pump, and a new driver seat was put in due to seat heater not working. I test drove it yesterday and it felt fine driving. The dealer is willing to pay off my car and come down to 42k on the vette (internet price is 49k). The car has been sitting in their lot since september so i can low ball them a little more. Would you guys reccomend i stay away from the car or try to lowball and get it?

Last edited by Trainor91; 02-11-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

As long as it's still under warrantee it should be fine. No different than some of us that had to send our new car back in for major work.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Cars are made up of a whole lot of individual parts, because a couple of parts fail or are bad there is no relationship to the other parts in the car so seems to me the risk is gone from owning this car, then you got the warranty so go for it.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Trainor91
8th Gear

Thank you guys for your replies. The only thing im worried about is colateral damage that a broken camshaft could cause. Powertrain warranty is good for 100k miles, still concerns me that a broken camshaft could set up other components to fail while going down the road.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Doesn't seem to be that good of a price for a "lemon" title. That is going to wreck any resale you may have also keep in mind. There is a reason it has been sitting there for so long. It may be a fine car but to 99% of the population it isn't so it will just sit. Offer 1/2 their asking price to get like 15K off in the end, that would be reasonable.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:05 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

For 42k I would like to purchase something with a bit less troublesome history.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:05 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainor91
I came across a 2014 stingray z51 3lt manual 16k miles on the internet at a very low price. Called the dealer to ask about the car. They said that it was a buyback from gm. Gm had fixed a broken camshaft, faulty fuel pump, and a new driver seat was put in due to seat heater not working. I test drove it yesterday and it felt fine driving. The dealer is willing to pay off my car and come down to 42k on the vette (internet price is 49k). The car has been sitting in their lot since september so i can low ball them a little more. Would you guys reccomend i stay away from the car or try to lowball and get it?
I would only conceder if GM replaced the complete engine, NOT just replacing camshaft and parts. GM rapes mechanics on warranty repair jobs, especially heavy line side of shop. They will try and beat the clock with short cuts on the engine rebuild repair. Check and make sure it wasn't just a bad valve spring that broke, I have not heard of cam shaft failures but have seen valve spring with a miss diagnose of fuel pump then realized it was a just broken valve spring. (yes new keepers help prevent valve from dropping causing internal damage)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:21 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Sounds just like a car that was previously discussed on the forums but the first time someone has stated they could buy it for $42K. Another forum member was interested in this car but passed, I forget why. IMHO, if you're going to keep the car for a long period of time, the lemon law recall will not hurt it that much. If your plan is two or three years, then sell, you can get hurt. If I remember correctly, it's a two top car, polished wheels, 3LT, Z51. Pretty nice higher end Vette. Certainly need to find out if they repaired the engine or replaced it.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Trainor91
8th Gear

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Sounds just like a car that was previously discussed on the forums but the first time someone has stated they could buy it for $42K. Another forum member was interested in this car but passed, I forget why. IMHO, if you're going to keep the car for a long period of time, the lemon law recall will not hurt it that much. If your plan is two or three years, then sell, you can get hurt. If I remember correctly, it's a two top car, polished wheels, 3LT, Z51. Pretty nice higher end Vette. Certainly need to find out if they repaired the engine or replaced it.
This is the exact one, being sold in west chester, PA. The only information the dealer has is that the camshaft and fuel pump were replaced. The engine itself is still the same.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:33 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
For 42k I would like to purchase something with a bit less troublesome history.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-13-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:34 PM
tarepas
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

As long as it is a certified CPO car with the extended GM warranty GO FOR IT!! If not PASS
Old 02-11-2016, 05:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If it was a buy back, then chances are GM had several opportunities to get it fixed(and failed), thus they met the "lemon" law criteria.

Must have been a very good reason that the original owner dumped the car back on GM, instead of keeping it, even though it still had a warranty.

What if you do plan on keeping the car for a long, long time, thus are not worried about resale value, and then the car turns out to still be problematic? That "lemon" title could give you hell, if you tried to dump it, to get out from under it.

I doubt that you would then feel that cheap price was so cheap, if that happened.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:13 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

That doesnt seem like a bad deal to me, as long as it has its original warranty (it wasnt voided for mods or anything) I would work in an extended warranty and just drive the thing. As far as resale, if you keep it a few years with no more issues I wouldnt worry about it - its going to depreciate no matter what when the C8 hits. But if you keep it for a short time you may take a hit because of the GM buyback if the buyer checks GM history.

I dont think you can put a CPO on a GM buyback.

I bought a GM buyback 2007 Suburban that had the trans and engine replaced and the owner still claimed it wasnt right. I drove it and used it for towing for 40K miles with no issues..
Old 02-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainor91
From everything I've read, I'd definitely buy it. The price even sounds terrific. Paying off your old car, and only $42K?! As well as the offer being $7K below the advertised Internet price? Yup....I'd be in it quickly.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If it was a buy back, then chances are GM had several opportunities to get it fixed(and failed), thus they met the "lemon" law criteria.

Must have been a very good reason that the original owner dumped the car back on GM, instead of keeping it, even though it still had a warranty.

What if you do plan on keeping the car for a long, long time, thus are not worried about resale value, and then the car turns out to still be problematic? That "lemon" title could give you hell, if you tried to dump it, to get out from under it.

I doubt that you would then feel that cheap price was so cheap, if that happened.
Joe, I did not know there was such thing as a "lemon title?" I thought that was limited to; "Salvage Titles?"

About CPO? Is that the extended warranty program from Chevrolet? I'd sure want all the details on getting it CPOed from GM before buying it then.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-13-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (Middle Icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Trainor91
8th Gear

I have full details from dealer:
Replaced camshaft
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced catalytic converter
Replaced seat heater cushion
These arent constant fixes, these are one time fixes and the buyer decided to get out from under it for whatever reason. Maybe wanted a z06? Maybe couldnt afford it? Maybe just got scared. Im gonna go back to them a lowball the **** out of the car and ill update when i do.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

With the full power train warranty intact, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you're the kind of guy that buys cars and keeps them for 5 years, well, then you might want to find something else. If you plan on driving the sh*t out of it until it falls apart, I'd go for it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

[QUOTE= The car has been sitting in their lot since september........ QUOTE]

I think that speaks volumes about that Car...........

Get notified of new replies

To Considering buying a lemon

Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Their marketing plan for this car is awful. I started tracking C7 coupes within 300 miles of my house back in September before I purchased. This car was within my price range. Naturally, I zeroed in on it when it was listed for $53K while the comparable Vettes were listed at $56K. But once that red "lemon law buyback" showed up on the Carfax, I lost interest. They lowered the price in thousand dollar increments, but the rest of the market dipped right along with it. Now, they're willing to discount it another $7K, but won't put that on the advertised price? Who the he.. is setting the pricing of this thing. If they want to sell it, put a low price on it on the net.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

One of the best cars I ever owned was a 1986 Corvette that was a dealer buyback that I purchased in 1987. I had that car for 10 years after that. As for damaging resale value it will do very little. Several years of ownership by a second owner will wipe any bad flavor away. It is a fact that most BuyBacks are not truly lemons but are cars that have frustrated owners want to get rid of. The next owner gets a great car that has its issues addressed and the previous owner walks away some what happy they got out from under a problem.

Just before I purchased my 15 Z06 I was looking at a GM Buyback 15 Z06/Z07 A8 that had 3500 miles on it. It was bought back because the owner complained about overheating on track. From a second owner stand point why would that be a reason to not buy the car? We all know the A8s have an overheating problem if driven certain ways while on track. I seriously debated purchasing the car but got a great deal on a car with 15 miles on it. The car I purchased was also 300 miles closer to where I lived.

Bill
Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 AM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Just curious; does anyone know if a car that has been bought back once is still eligible to be bought back again? So if one was to buy this car and it failed again under the lemon law criteria, would GM have to buy back again?

Quick Reply: Considering buying a lemon