Sponsored by:

Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
Taking a before picture will be difficult unless it had already been done prior to the hit. Ya think?
The" before picture" shows the damage done before the repair and the "after picture" shows what the car looks like after the repair.

Actually all you need is the before picture to show that the damage had no effect on the frame and was relatively minor-- a car fax may not indicate the extent of the damage and leave a potential buyer nervous about the extent of the damage.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Always a problem since Vettes have such good brakes... you literally have to ease off on your brakes if you notice someone on your tail.
Up here in Canada, we don't have diminished value.. so we get screwed royally.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:15 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRX
I completely agree, this upsets me greatly as people in our society use insurance to drive careless. I have had people tell me they aren't worried that their driving isn't the greatest as "that is what insurance is for"

It's no wonder all our premiums are so high. The OP was probably rear ended due to the driver behind him following too closely and or being careless. Every time I drive my car it seems like there is always someone that is practically hanging off my rear bumper where I can't even see any part of the front of their car in my mirrors.

People are also stupid to believe their "x" car, minivan, or truck can stop as quickly as a Corvette.
the closer someone follows me, the more room i leave between me and the car that i'm following.

Last edited by senah; 03-16-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:22 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
Aye... Maybe I'm just a little bitter. I was involved in a pretty big accident when my car was only 3 months old ($24k repair bill) and ended up with wrist pain/back pain. I made the mistake of shrugging it off and not pursuing the medical aspect hard enough when I had the chance. Now that the papers have been signed, I feel like I got "screwed." This lingering wrist pain/back pain when I put it under stress is interfering with my gym life as it has severely reduced how I can lift. Didn't want anyone else to make the same mistake that I did.

To add insult to the injury, the party that hit me had a 20k max limit on their insurance policy. This means, that my DV claim had to be prorated with the huge repair bill. Anyone wanna guess who got screwed more out of that one?
do you take vitamin c? if not, you can try 1 gram/day for every 50 pounds of body weight, so 4 grams for a 200 pound body weight, for example. split the dosage between morning and night. it can speed up the healing process and reduce pain while you wait.

just speaking from my own experience.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:32 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
1) If you are injured, look into getting medical treatment. Even if you think there is nothing wrong, you might want to go get it looked at. Everything is "Free" after all, you will get all this money back and more.
IF you are truly injured, sure, but this sounds like intent to defraud.

2) Get a lawyer who will work on contingency. This means that he makes 1/3 of the cut of whatever money you get from the other party. Gives him more motivation to "close out your case asap." Tell him you want to file for a emotional distress/personal injury/pain and suffering case.
"Emotional distress"? Good Lord. For those case it doesn't look like ANY of that happened. More intent to defraud.

3) File a diminished value claim DIRECTLY with GEICO. Don't let the lawyer offer to do this part for you as that will give him the right to this piece of the pie as well.
So after you have finished screwing the insurance company, screw your lawyer as well.

Use that extra 15k you just won, and bronate some of it to me
Why? The best thing for OP to do is disregard everything this poster has suggested. Get your vette repaired fairly and competently, for sure, but don't indulge in fraud as this guy suggests. He's an embarrassment to the Corvette community.

Really, Bui. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
1) If you are injured, look into getting medical treatment. Even if you think there is nothing wrong, you might want to go get it looked at. Everything is "Free" after all, you will get all this money back and more.
2) Get a lawyer who will work on contingency. This means that he makes 1/3 of the cut of whatever money you get from the other party. Gives him more motivation to "close out your case asap." Tell him you want to file for a emotional distress/personal injury/pain and suffering case.
3) File a diminished value claim DIRECTLY with GEICO. Don't let the lawyer offer to do this part for you as that will give him the right to this piece of the pie as well. DV is the value of your car, pre vs post accident. Even if the car is fully repair to 100% condition, the mere fact of having been in an accident reduces the sell back value. DV is the number that difference.
4) Take it to the dealer to be repaired. Since it is the other guy's fault, cost isn't a factor. You just want it repaired professionally. Also, the bigger the repair bill, the more you are likely to get from the DV Claim.

Use that extra 15k you just won, and bronate some of it to me
I believe my attorney told me that you should get two to three times the money for the expenses you incur. I negotiated my own and got three times the money for an accident that only hurt the vehicle.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler

"Emotional distress"? Good Lord. For those case it doesn't look like ANY of that happened. More intent to defraud.

So after you have finished screwing the insurance company, screw your lawyer as well.

Why? The best thing for OP to do is disregard everything this poster has suggested. Get your vette repaired fairly and competently, for sure, but don't indulge in fraud as this guy suggests. He's an embarrassment to the Corvette community.

If your in a car accident, you should always have a doctor look you over within 24 hours of the incident.
The following users liked this post:
Bui (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 04:16 PM
River Rat
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a new owner I've been thinking of what I would do if I was rear ended (DD in bay area traffic).

My thinking was I would not want my vette back (if I still had the same payment) after it was hit. Don't know if this is just wishful thinking, but I would want to be bought out of my loan and would buy a non accident car.

To all the sue-shamers...I have been rear ended twice. Booth times have had back problems after accident settlement was agreed to. Also, I have found things not repaired or noticed at the time of the accident which have lingered though out the remaining life of the vehicle. So, sue away (though I prefer to negotiate myself to avoid 1/3 going to the lawyer). You may think at the time of settlement it was fair, but in my experience you will find things (health or car damage) which you may not have been reimbursed for. CYA friends!

Last edited by River Rat; 03-16-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Bui (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler

All I'm saying is if you get hit, it's smart to make sure you aren't hurt. Couple years down the road when you're having back pain or something, you will regret not having doing it when you had the chance. I speak from experience as I was involved in an accident 2 years ago and my wrist has never been the same.

You're not screwing your lawyer. What are you talking about? If you ask him to help you on a matter, that gives him the right to a portion of the cut. If you don't need his help on something, then you don't need to pay him for it. DV is simple enough that you can handle it yourself.

The best thing for OP to do is disregard everything this poster has suggested. Get your vette repaired fairly and competently, for sure, but don't indulge in fraud as this guy suggests. He's an embarrassment to the Corvette community.

Unlike you, I didn't just come in OP's thread to flame people. I simply pointed out a couple of options. Its up to the OP to choose which he wants to follow and which he deems as unnecessary.

Originally Posted by JDM111er
If your in a car accident, you should always have a doctor look you over within 24 hours of the incident.
Of course. However, often times, I find that logic isn't a strong point for many people. Those same people are often quick to attack others who share opinions that do not agree with theirs.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-16-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Childish Comment Removed.
muncie21 (03-19-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Where's the ignore button again?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Default Warning to all....

Guys,

This is turning real ugly real fast.

Either we quit bickering amongst each other and quit calling each other names, or I'll just issue bans and close this thread.

One warning.......only one.
1776DAVE (03-17-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 05:05 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was parked waiting for my grandson at his school two hours ago when a mother on her phone pulls up behind me in her Lexus SUV and hits my bumper head on putting two dings from her license plate bolts! This is going to be the most expensive phone call she has ever made!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you need to get with YOUR insurance co. and not deal w. the other driver's insurance co. directly at all. That is why you have an insurance policy. Things may get messy otherwise, and messy to me means you will lose out.

I definitely think diminished value is a good idea to file for--whether it's by you or someone you hire. There may be a Carfax report, and if there is it may be mentioned as minor, but I wouldn't count on that one. I also think it will be a blot on the value of the car ( as well as future salability).

Are you getting it repaired in your home state?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:15 PM
NMC7
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you were not hurt.

While you can get your car repaired to look like new, it will show up as having been in a car accident on Carfax and other similar services. If you sell or trade your car, you will likely get less because of this history. Different states have different insurance laws, but typically all your insurance company is responsible for is to repair or replace your car, whichever costs less. A diminution in value claim typically has to be pursued against the other driver and his or her insurance company. A couple of years ago my Lexus ES300h was rear-ended which resulted in $3,500 in repairs. I mention the brand only because it is germane to story. It was only a few months old and I pressed a claim for diminished value with the other driver's insurance company. I have a friend who works for CarMax who values, buys and sells cars for a living. He told me that virtually any accident history on a higher-end car will impair its value. On exotics, the diminution in value can be a near total loss with a history of a significant accident. The insurance industry has guidelines (Formula 17c) it uses to estimate diminished value. I pressed the matter with the other driver's insurance company and in addition to the cost of repairs, I got a $4,000 check for the diminution in value to my car. That represented about 10% of the retail market value of may car at the time of the accident. I will say that my car appeared to have suffered more damage than yours which does figure into the diminished value claim. Of course, when I trade or sell that car, I will get less than if it had not been in an accident. I plan to keep the car for some years so hopefully the diminution in value spread will lessen. To make a long story short, I would not let the other insurance company off the hook for diminished value. You might check with a dealer or CarMax to get some idea of the diminution in value as a result of the accident and use that in negotiating with the other insurance company.

Good luck!

Last edited by NMC7; 03-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Sorry for the mishap. Must have been an incident of following too close or in attention. I hardly ever go out that I don't have some fool behind me tailgating.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

Interesting couple of cases involving distracted driving and brain logistics when instrumentation is involved.

First case is a Kentucky coed on the phone with her sister in a heated discussion. She was driving next to and parallel to a train and then she got ahead of the train a bit and started a right turn over the tracks. The engineer knew he was going to hit her and that she had no idea that the train was even on the tracks despite the fact that he was moving ~100 train cars along the road behind him. He said he had started emergency braking and dialed 911 even before the impact. She survived after several interventions involving the release of excess cranial pressure. The sister on the phone with the driver heard to whole thing and she is still in therapy. Should we ask people who we think are driving when they call us if they have us on hands free or can we talk when they stop?

Second case. My friend waited years before having brain surgery to remove a tumor that had started pressing on his optical nerve. After the operation, you could enter the room he was sitting in and he was nearly incapable of carrying on a conversation because he could not organize his thoughts or form words. If you called his home his wife would hand him the phone and he was able to converse in a fairly normal fashion.

Apparently we may use a different portion of our brain when we speak to a passenger in our vehicles than when we hold an instrument to our ears. The passenger is also another pair of eyes. I am looking forward to the autonomous car features to become common place so that these rear ending, distracted drivers can maybe get their cars to pay attention even when they are on the phone.

Last edited by felkebg; 03-17-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Appreciate all the input. Still on the road, will keep you guys updated.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear ended

Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Oops double post.

Last edited by DCortez; 03-17-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Get your insurance company involved you are their Customer and you are paying them to protect you. They have the HP to get the things done correctly where you have little. Even if you hire a lawyer you still have little. You aren't GEICO's customer and will not be treated as their Customer. Lawyer's really don't provide a lot of benefit in cases like this. DV may mean something if you try and sell the car in a year or so. If you are like me and won't sell it for another 5 or 6 years it doesn't mean much other than some idiot will try and negotiate a lower price to which you can just say not acceptable. Look at all of those so called 60s muscle cars crossing the auction block at BJ. A large number have been involved in crashes, probably some have been assembled out of two totaled cars, there is a large percentage that started restoration as rust buckets. None of that hurts their value the only thing that counts is how well the repair/restoration is done.

Bill
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Whenever I'm behind A high dollar car I make sure that I give him extra space.I know if I hit him it's going to be more expensive than A Malibu.I'm surprised that most people don't think the same way.
To get back to the subject.It don't look all that bad.Good luck on the repair

Quick Reply: Rear ended