Sponsored by:

Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:29 PM
MostlyHarmless
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DCortez
Had to chuckle. Asking a vette owner if he has pics of his car is like asking a grandparent if they have pics of their grandkids.

About an hour before.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it gets sorted out soon, and as always the main blessing is that noone was hurt

Not sure I would use the before photo though - looks like you were parked unecessarily on a shoulder for the purposes of taking a cute photo. Don't want your insurance company to think you are a reckless law breaker
Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
1) If you are injured, look into getting medical treatment. Even if you think there is nothing wrong, you might want to go get it looked at. Everything is "Free" after all, you will get all this money back and more.
2) Get a lawyer who will work on contingency. This means that he makes 1/3 of the cut of whatever money you get from the other party. Gives him more motivation to "close out your case asap." Tell him you want to file for a emotional distress/personal injury/pain and suffering case.
3) File a diminished value claim DIRECTLY with GEICO. Don't let the lawyer offer to do this part for you as that will give him the right to this piece of the pie as well. DV is the value of your car, pre vs post accident. Even if the car is fully repair to 100% condition, the mere fact of having been in an accident reduces the sell back value. DV is the number that difference.
4) Take it to the dealer to be repaired. Since it is the other guy's fault, cost isn't a factor. You just want it repaired professionally. Also, the bigger the repair bill, the more you are likely to get from the DV Claim.

Use that extra 15k you just won, and bronate some of it to me
Doc here who has been doing acute care medicine for over 14 years now. This is a total waste of medical resources plain and simple. You may get something back, but really.....the time you waste and others in medicine/legal probably far outweighs a few grand. It was a minor accident and clearly does not seem to be significant damage. You may be in the same spot one day accidentally having rear ended someone or what not. Would you want to other driver to take you and your insurance to town over minor damages which will cause you lots of personal aggravation and heartache. I say get your car fixed, move on with life and enjoy rather than clutter your life with frivolous litigation. All of us, including you end of paying for this in the end.

Last edited by RajeeK; 03-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:40 PM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM111er
If your in a car accident, you should always have a doctor look you over within 24 hours of the incident.
Not true. Minor MVA with no injury does not require you to waste a medical professionals time and get unnecessary studies and radiation for essentially nothing.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless
Not sure I would use the before photo though - looks like you were parked unecessarily on a shoulder for the purposes of taking a cute photo. Don't want your insurance company to think you are a reckless law breaker
That crossed my mind before I posted.

The driver had been trailing me with several car lengths between us. Guessing he received an interesting text.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

No text more interesting when it comes to getting rear ended.They have technology that when your in A runnng vehicle no phone service.Money always takes 1st place,safety comes in 2nd.Learned that from driving tractor trailers.
They say hands free phones are safe.Not true.Sorry If I get off the subject.I always get reminded of it.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
Let me ask you this. Will Carfax care if he was hit at 1mph or 50mph? Hint: The answer is no. All that will show up is that this car has been "involved in an accident..
Maybe there are differences between Carfax USA vs Canada... But while I was negotiating my trade-in while ordering my C7, the report clearly showed a $1,200 rear bumper repair and paint due to a similar accident.

The result was no diminished value of my trade-in as this came up after negotiating the price and the damage was minor.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM
DCortez
Drifting

PART II - The GEICO Saga

So I took the car in for two estimates before meeting with the GEICO "adjuster".

Service King told me to get lost until I spoke to GEICO.

Collision Fix Unlimited, who gave me a price to return my car to 100% new, said repairing is unacceptable due to the vette's twisting motion, replacement is in order.

GEICO said they'd repair (about 3' stretch of bondo/fiber glass?) but not replace the upper damage (painted area) but would replace the lower damage (black). They might replace my license plate bracket but definitely NOT my license plate. There is no diminished value attached to the repair, that we'd be treated fairly by any dealer or individual (that young man needs a taste of adult life) regardless of the Car Fax.

Also, the long stress lines on the sides, near the top, were a defective Xpel install (his opinion) not actual damage (CFU pointed out the lines at the estimate).

Total GEICO estimate ... $1,200.00

Parked at CFU at the moment. GEICO was kind enough to spec in one hour of labor for the damage to the right of the Corvette lettering.

... As The World Turns

Last edited by DCortez; 03-22-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: punctuation, etc.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:51 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Did speak to my insurance company, they said to contact them if GEICO wasn't taking care of things. CFU said they'd talk to their GEICO contact.

Keeping everything in a holding pattern until I hear back from CFU, no work is to be done without my ok.
The following users liked this post:
C6MagRed (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Did speak to my insurance company, they said to contact them if GEICO wasn't taking care of things. CFU said they'd talk to their GEICO contact.

Keeping everything in a holding pattern until I hear back from CFU, no work is to be done without my ok.
It's your insurance company's responsibility to work with the other driver's insurance company, not yours! In fact, since you have car insurance your insurance company should being paying for the repairs then it's their responsibility to go after GEICO to get their money back.

After this is over you need to shop for a different insurance company.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:18 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
It's your insurance company's responsibility to work with the other driver's insurance company, not yours! In fact, since you have car insurance your insurance company should being paying for the repairs then it's their responsibility to go after GEICO to get their money back.

After this is over you need to shop for a different insurance company.

Traveler's covers the vette and a couple of truck, GEICO covers two trucks and my home. Think it's time for a double dump.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

What I have learned from personal experience over the last year. My car was totaled by a women who took a left into the side of my car. I have surgery coming up as well.

1. People can be rotten, and don't put it past the person who rear ended you to get a lawyer who will drag you into ridiculous litigation blaming you for the accident.

2. Litigation is a daily HEADACHE and STRESSFUL, and I can't wait until it is over.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM
C6MagRed
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is your insurance company? They need to be taking care of this for you!!!! I had very similar damage to my C7 just last month and it cost $2300 to fix. My company (USAA) got it all from the other company without my doing anything.

DV is different in Texas than many other states. I'm not pursuing it and don't believe it will cost me when I sell.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

What a bummer.. two different vette accident threads this week, both threads turn into a flame fest.

It amazes me how many people here - fellow enthusiasts no less - go out of their way to take a chit on someone else. There's a few here that make chitting on others a hobby. Why not save it for a political forum? For partisans who are actually deserving a$$holes?

Actually, what we need is a very thick skinned forum canary, someone who takes it all the time, but dishes it, that person would bring everyone together. A BMW driver perhaps who hates america and americans.

But man, big ole bag of dicks in this forum.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 PM
FawkeeMcGee
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I am also working with GEICO today and was told the same thing by my provider Allstate. Sucks man. ****** week for us. Hope it all gets worked out for you.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Forgot to mention, full, like new, repair is $2800.00 versus the $1200.00 GEICO offer to bondo my new car.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 PM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where I live we have no fault ins. No matter who is at fault, your insurance pays. If you are not at fault the deductible is waved and the accident does not count as a claim. The repairs are done by a bodyshop of your choice.

Insurance companies love it because they have eliminated all the lawyers and they only deal with their own customer.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:56 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Forgot to mention, full, like new, repair is $2800.00 versus the $1200.00 GEICO offer to bondo my new car.
Nice thing about being in Texas, you have the right to choose who repairs your car, regardless of insurance company.
In 2009 my wife's car, less than 500 miles on it was hit by a truck while she was stopped to make a left hand turn, the truck driver was covered by Gieco and we made an appointment to see the adjuster. They gave us an estimate of $1700 and did not want to give us a rental car as it was Friday and the car could not get into a shop until Monday.
I pointed out that the tail lights were all broken and it is against the law to drive a car with out them...got the rental.
We took the car to the dealer to have the repairs done and the body shop laughed at the estimate, they said it was closer to $3000. When we showed concern about the difference the foreman said it would not be problem as the insurance company would cover the cost even though it was over the estimate. The final bill came to $4700 as the tub was cracked and needed to be repaired, by the way the car was a 2009 Saturn Sky ( red, of course ).
So what they say and what is actually done repair wise can be vastly different than what they quote you for an estimate.
I doubt that any self respecting repair shop would "bondo" a late model Corvette. Repairing the car with fiberglass may be the option and I have seen work done by a good glass man that is flawless. No way to tell that the work has been done.
Stand your ground and refuse used parts, quick fixes and low balled estimates. Your right under Texas law in how your car is repaired are outlined in your policy, fairly easy to understand.
The good body shop foreman will refuse reworked parts by saying they did not fit and will get new parts for you. Find the best body shop in Houston and get their take on the repair and let Gieco handle the rest.
Get your car fixed the way you want it, not the way the cheesy insurance company wants it.
They are in it for the money and not the good will that we would hope an insurance company would want to convey. It's bottom line to them...and don't forget that the guy is going to have his rates go up to cover what he has already paid for...and that is insurance to cover mishaps such as this.
Good luck on the repair.
Sorry for the long post...I ramble at times.

Last edited by rcooper; 03-22-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear ended

Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
1) If you are injured, look into getting medical treatment. Even if you think there is nothing wrong, you might want to go get it looked at. Everything is "Free" after all, you will get all this money back and more.
2) Get a lawyer who will work on contingency. This means that he makes 1/3 of the cut of whatever money you get from the other party. Gives him more motivation to "close out your case asap." Tell him you want to file for a emotional distress/personal injury/pain and suffering case.
3) File a diminished value claim DIRECTLY with GEICO. Don't let the lawyer offer to do this part for you as that will give him the right to this piece of the pie as well. DV is the value of your car, pre vs post accident. Even if the car is fully repair to 100% condition, the mere fact of having been in an accident reduces the sell back value. DV is the number that difference.
4) Take it to the dealer to be repaired. Since it is the other guy's fault, cost isn't a factor. You just want it repaired professionally. Also, the bigger the repair bill, the more you are likely to get from the DV Claim.

Use that extra 15k you just won, and bronate some of it to me
You sir are what is wrong with our society.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 AM
toph1206
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PART II - The GEICO Saga

So I took the car in for two estimates before meeting with the GEICO "adjuster".

Service King told me to get lost until I spoke to GEICO.

Collision Fix Unlimited, who gave me a price to return my car to 100% new, said repairing is unacceptable due to the vette's twisting motion, replacement is in order.

GEICO said they'd repair (about 3' stretch of bondo/fiber glass?) but not replace the upper damage (painted area) but would replace the lower damage (black). They might replace my license plate bracket but definitely NOT my license plate. There is no diminished value attached to the repair, that we'd be treated fairly by any dealer or individual (that young man needs a taste of adult life) regardless of the Car Fax.

Also, the long stress lines on the sides, near the top, were a defective Xpel install (his opinion) not actual damage (CFU pointed out the lines at the estimate).

Total GEICO estimate ... $1,200.00

Parked at CFU at the moment. GEICO was kind enough to spec in one hour of labor for the damage to the right of the Corvette lettering.

... As The World Turns
I am going through the same thing - what do you mean by twisting motion?
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Originally Posted by toph1206
I am going through the same thing - what do you mean by twisting motion?

Service writer at the body shop said there is flexing in the vette and that "bondo style repairs" might not hold up. One friend, who has the Z06 60th anniversary car, said they didn't come in convertible because of flexing.

All new to me, maybe someone in the know can shine a light.

Quick Reply: Rear ended