Sponsored by:

Throttle issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Throttle issue

Hey all I did a search for this but couldn't find the answer. Last night when i was backing up my M7 and i was getting a weird noise when i would blip the throttle and it would go away but it almost sounded like something rubbed together and stopped. So after i stopped i put into Neutral and did it again with the same result. It only happened if i hit the the gas. If i really lightly hit the gas this doesn't happen.

I think a trip to the dealer is in order because something isn't right. I will try to get an audio of the sound to see if someone can identify. But it occured between idle and 1000 rpm, after that its gone. I hope its not some major issue but I am not sure if its powertrain related but its still under warranty.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:18 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

If the dealer can't replicate the sound they wouldn't do anything. It's sometimes better if something actually breaks and disables the car. I would ask to go on the test drive with the mechanic so you can point out the noise. It could be something other then the drivetrain.

Originally Posted by air86
Hey all I did a search for this but couldn't find the answer. Last night when i was backing up my M7 and i was getting a weird noise when i would blip the throttle and it would go away but it almost sounded like something rubbed together and stopped. So after i stopped i put into Neutral and did it again with the same result. It only happened if i hit the the gas. If i really lightly hit the gas this doesn't happen.

I think a trip to the dealer is in order because something isn't right. I will try to get an audio of the sound to see if someone can identify. But it occured between idle and 1000 rpm, after that its gone. I hope its not some major issue but I am not sure if its powertrain related but its still under warranty.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:28 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Had another opportunity to look it over. It is a very apparent noise that happens every time I blip the throttle harder than feather pressure if that makes any sense. Its hard to explain that part but it sounds like it may be the throttle valve possibly sticking or making contact with something as the throttle is initially opened up, but like I said goes away. Can something possibly be gunked up.

I am going to take it to a dealer. I have been sidetracked with my home purchase so my time with that and working has my schedule a little tight.

Since I am located in Columbus OH now I am thinking of taking it to Coughlin. I originally took it to Dave Gill because I have forgotten about Coughlin lol when I first arrived for one of my free oil changes.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:40 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

If you had a video/recording of it, it might help... I think it sounds like you are talking about the intake of air that happens if you stab the throttle when it is cold, you will hear the vacuum sound before it revs up... which is normal. I have noticed it is loud on this car. I would still take it in and let someone at the service center hear it, if you are unsure though.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Could it be the butterfly valves in the exhaust pipes are sticking slightly?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:32 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I just replaced my air filter and cleaned the butterfly valves and the surrounding areas with carb cleaner. Never spray anything into your throttle body unless you know what you're doing. The best method is to spray carb cleaner on a lint free rag and wipe everything down. It was pretty filthy in there so I'm glad that I cleaned it. You may have a piece of carbon or something stuck up in there. Good luck.

Last edited by traderfjp; 04-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by only9balls
If you had a video/recording of it, it might help... I think it sounds like you are talking about the intake of air that happens if you stab the throttle when it is cold, you will hear the vacuum sound before it revs up... which is normal. I have noticed it is loud on this car. I would still take it in and let someone at the service center hear it, if you are unsure though.

Your absolutely right, i need to get a video of it. I just hope I can capture that sound on the phone. But I have had the car over 2 years and just noticed it a few weeks ago when i was backing into a spot and i would feather the pedal as I was backing onto a non paved surface. I did lift the hood and it is clearly coming from the engine compartment.

It has sat most of the winter. I think I have driven it 7 days since November. This is the first year I had to deal with snow in 10 years since I have been in Vegas where it only snows on the mountains.

I will be making contact with Coughlin shortly.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:27 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Your absolutely right, i need to get a video of it. I just hope I can capture that sound on the phone. But I have had the car over 2 years and just noticed it a few weeks ago when i was backing into a spot and i would feather the pedal as I was backing onto a non paved surface. I did lift the hood and it is clearly coming from the engine compartment.

It has sat most of the winter. I think I have driven it 7 days since November. This is the first year I had to deal with snow in 10 years since I have been in Vegas where it only snows on the mountains.

I will be making contact with Coughlin shortly.
When mine is warming up and you give the throttle a quick "stab", the engine hesitates and you hear the air rushing into the throttle body, and then it finally revs up. It seems the ECU does not like it when you apply the throttle quickly when it is cold (which is not a bad thing...).
Old 04-18-2016, 05:36 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

This is what I am referring too... listen to the slight "chug" when I stab the throttle...

Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Having the same type of issue. Just started after they installed a software patch. Mine is occurring when I hit it slightly hard from a cruising speed and now when I ease up on the accelerator. Not very loud but noticible to me. Not a clunk, not a squel but more along the lines of slight screach. Agree it is hard to explain.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

This is what I am referring too... listen to the slight "chug" when I stab the throttle...

https://youtu.be/sOhLXTdJh-c
OMG this does sound like it. Since I leave my car in a secured area where i work because I didn't want it parked at an apartment I will be with the car tomorrow i drive it to its new home and her new garage . I will take a video tomorrow while and compare it to what i heard from mine and see. It does very well sound the same but would like to re-attempt mine to be sure. Thank you so much for this video

Is this a major issue or is it just a bug in this car

Last edited by air86; 04-18-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:13 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

OMG this does sound like it. Since I leave my car in a secured area where i work because I didn't want it parked at an apartment I will be with the car tomorrow i drive it to its new home and her new garage . I will take a video tomorrow while and compare it to what i heard from mine and see. It does very well sound the same but would like to re-attempt mine to be sure. Thank you so much for this video

Is this a major issue or is it just a bug in this car
No problem, if that indeed is what turns out to be the sound you are referring to, it is a normal thing.

Last edited by only9balls; 04-18-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:27 PM
jcrooker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

yes, sounds like the air induction into the motor. mine sounds exactly the same. it is a high performance motor that sucks a lot of air.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:49 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

No problem, if that indeed is what turns out to be the sound you are referring to, it is a normal thing.
I am still trying to figure out why I am just hearing this for the first time now 2 years into ownership.

Anywho to update you. I was able to capture the video and i compared the samples and it does sound the same. I captured it with my S5 which is probably considered ancient technology the way these damn phones come out.

It is limiting me in sending it to my email so i will re-do it with my ipad and then connect and place it here.

I drove the car about 30 miles that day as well and i didn't hear it as drastic when i was driving. Heard it faintly on occasion but under normal start from stop didn't hear it. Just when i rev the engine. Although you guys say its normal I will still when i take her for service have them look at it just to confirm it isn't something different.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will continue to keep this thread updated
Old 04-23-2016, 05:30 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

I am still trying to figure out why I am just hearing this for the first time now 2 years into ownership.

Anywho to update you. I was able to capture the video and i compared the samples and it does sound the same. I captured it with my S5 which is probably considered ancient technology the way these damn phones come out.

It is limiting me in sending it to my email so i will re-do it with my ipad and then connect and place it here.

I drove the car about 30 miles that day as well and i didn't hear it as drastic when i was driving. Heard it faintly on occasion but under normal start from stop didn't hear it. Just when i rev the engine. Although you guys say its normal I will still when i take her for service have them look at it just to confirm it isn't something different.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will continue to keep this thread updated
I took that video with an S5 as well... I just connected it to my PC with a USB cable and transferred it over.

The noise is more prominent when it is cold and warming up (rich condition), then it goes away a bit. If it seems abnormally loud, you could have an opening somewhere around the air box (maybe not sealed all the way) that is amplifying the noise. Have you had the air filter replaced or checked lately? Could be somone didn't close it up correctly.

Last edited by only9balls; 04-23-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrooker
yes, sounds like the air induction into the motor. mine sounds exactly the same. it is a high performance motor that sucks a lot of air.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Mine makes the same sound. It's just the air getting sucked into the engine when you're rapidly cracking the throttle open.

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle issue

Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 PM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

If you give a lot of throttle you may be having the vehicle trying to go into a performance shift mode that would sound like you describe as well.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Yep, engine is just gasping for air.
People make the same sound when they suddenly inhale.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

You know whats funny is this sound went down to a minimum now that my oil situation is fixed. I have to listen for it and its not as noticeable. Weird

Quick Reply: Throttle issue