Sponsored by:

The Geezer's Navtool installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 05:50 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Norm:

The unit connected to the plate is the Performance Data Recorder. Once you move that out of the way, you see the BCM. Then behind it is the radio receiver. It's the lower, left side connector you're looking for.

I presume you are fishing the coat hanger starting on the passenger side, through first, then once it gets through to the driver side, you're attaching the wires and single plug to the coat hanger and then doing as Elmer says, wrapping it with a lot of tape so it won't hang up, and then pulling it back to the passenger side to connect to the green wire harness.

Now I will say I haven't done this yet, but this is how I'm planning ahead to do mine and hope it works smoothly.

Tom

Last edited by monicatomokc; 04-01-2016 at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Norm66 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Norm66
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Look for the white 20 pin plug. I saw NOTHING like that on the BCM.

As far as fishing it through, I wrapped a lot of tape to smooth the shoulders of the plug so it wouldn't catch on anything. It will go through, you just need to find the right groove.
Elmer,
Thanks. I will try again tomorrow.
Norm
Old 04-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Norm66
Drifting

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Norm:

The unit connected to the plate is the Performance Data Recorder. Once you move that out of the way, you see the BCM. Then behind it is the radio receiver. It's the lower, left side connector you're looking for.

I presume you are fishing the coat hanger starting on the passenger side, through first, then once it gets through to the driver side, you're attaching the wires and single plug to the coat hanger and then doing as Elmer says, wrapping it with a lot of tape so it won't hang up, and then pulling it back to the passenger side to connect to the green wire harness.

Now I will say I haven't done this yet, but this is how I'm planning ahead to do mine and hope it works smoothly.

Tom
Tom,
Thanks. I will try to fish it through again tomorrow. I will also hunt for the white plug in the radio receiver. I appreciate everyone's help.
Norm
Old 04-02-2016, 12:34 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

great write up. anyone get an owners manual or simple instructions on how to get into the correct screens? I would guess by watching a the video its pretty easy. I got mine in today and the install is super simple just not sure how to navigate in and out of the unit and select options etc..
Any guidance would be great. take care, paul
Old 04-02-2016, 05:26 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 128 Posts

I have noticed something recently tuning companies seem to think that directions are no longer necessary. I picked up a 2016 Mini Cooper S 4 door and added a AWE CAI Berger JB4 piggy back and a throttle controller. I had to beg the get instructions in writing (I am old I like things on paper not videos) on how to install the piggy back, and when I asked what each of the 6 programs does, they sent me a link to a forum thread, and suggested I find someone locale that has one to explain things to me. If I ran my companies like that we would not have been in business for almost 30 years
Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

The NavTool website shows a C6 product only, so how did some of you order a C7 NavTool?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

They did a pre sale here which they royally botched. After many angst filled months which included a lot of pissed of forum members and navtool getting their forum vendor status pulled, they finally started delivering a product. You could probably send them an email if you're interested.
SASprof (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm66
Tom,
Thanks. I will try to fish it through again tomorrow. I will also hunt for the white plug in the radio receiver. I appreciate everyone's help.
Norm
I had no problem finding the white connector but it a bit of a pita to get to, especially if you have big mitts. I gave it a try on pulling the wire from the drivers side to the passenger side and had trouble locating the correct spot. The snake wire had no problem getting through but couldn't find the right spot to pull the connector through - the area is very tight. Does anyone have a photo of where you pulled that through or a good description of the location where it will fit.

Ed
Old 04-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Norm66
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed'sC7
I had no problem finding the white connector but it a bit of a pita to get to, especially if you have big mitts. I gave it a try on pulling the wire from the drivers side to the passenger side and had trouble locating the correct spot. The snake wire had no problem getting through but couldn't find the right spot to pull the connector through - the area is very tight. Does anyone have a photo of where you pulled that through or a good description of the location where it will fit.

Ed
Ed,
I will attempt to fish the wires through again this morning. Hopefully I will find the magic spot. Also I will attempt to locate the white connector. Wish me luck.
Norm
Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by HANNY
great write up. anyone get an owners manual or simple instructions on how to get into the correct screens? I would guess by watching a the video its pretty easy. I got mine in today and the install is super simple just not sure how to navigate in and out of the unit and select options etc..
Any guidance would be great. take care, paul
Press and hold the "Back" button and the menu will pop up. Turn the **** left/right to move between cameras.

The iPhone connection with the HDMI cable brings the iPhone display up to the NAV screen without any further action.

Elmer
Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM
BRomanelli
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Navtool install

Any of you guys doing this install... Can you help me out with where and how you ran the wires from the passenger compartment to the drivers side. I can't get through!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:10 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by BRomanelli
Any of you guys doing this install... Can you help me out with where and how you ran the wires from the passenger compartment to the drivers side. I can't get through!!!!!!!!

Here's yer picture! The smaller black wire going left is my video lead. The red/white/yellow/black bundle disappears in pretty much the same spot. Try a bigger hammer?

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 04-02-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Norm66
Drifting

Default NavTool Install

Originally Posted by BRomanelli
I couldn't get through either. Some cars must have more clearance. I ended up cutting the four wires. I was then able to pull the wires minus the connector through. I then soldered the connector back to the four wires. I wasn't able to get the video cable through either, so I just ran it into the driver's side foot well from under the hood. I probably should have done this in the first place.

Now I am having a problem on the passenger side. I can't get my hand behind the left side of the BCM to disconnect the grey plug. I can just barely reach it after moving the large bundle of wires as far over as I could. Does anyone know if this grey connector has a tab that must be pushed to release the connector?

Thanks,
Norm
Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Norm66
I couldn't get through either. Some cars must have more clearance. I ended up cutting the four wires. I was then able to pull the wires minus the connector through. I then soldered the connector back to the four wires. I wasn't able to get the video cable through either, so I just ran it into the driver's side foot well from under the hood. I probably should have done this in the first place.

Now I am having a problem on the passenger side. I can't get my hand behind the left side of the BCM to disconnect the grey plug. I can just barely reach it after moving the large bundle of wires as far over as I could. Does anyone know if this grey connector has a tab that must be pushed to release the connector?

Thanks,
Norm

Norm,

The 20 wire green jumper has the EXACT plug that you're looking to unhook. LOOK at the plugs on the green jumper bundle for the MALE plug and you will see what the tab looks like to release the one back on the audio receiver. Navtool is using the OEM plug on the 20 wire green bundle. See post #21

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 04-02-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Norm66 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I snaked it through at the front of the console below the corvette stingray badge. You'll need to pull the trim pieces and carpet out of the way and use a wire to snake some string through. The grey connector does have a tab that you'll need to press.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Norm66
Drifting

Default Success!!! NavTool Works

First, I want to thank all the people on this forum. I would never have been able to complete the installation without your help. I live in Mooresville, North Carolina. If any of you ever come to Race City USA, please contact me so that we can enjoy a sandwich and have a few beers. That would be the least that I could do for you.

As indicated in a previous post, I needed to cut the wires that get snaked from the driver side to the passenger side. The connector was just too large to pass through. I tried for over an hour with my wife's help but the wires just would not go through. The coat hanger went through, but as soon as I connected the wires with the connector on the end or the video RCA connector, there was no way that we could make the wires pass through to the other side. Therefore I cut the four wires a few inches from the connector and once through to the other side, I soldered the four wires with the connector back together. Then I removed the video cable from the passenger side and ran it into the driver side foot well.

Then I came to a challenge than almost made me quit. If it wasn't for the help and advice I received from Elmer and several other forum members, I would've thrown in the towel. I found the BCM in the passenger foot well, but I could not get my fingers to any plug on the left-hand side. After reading several helpful posts I tried one more time and was able to find the release on the gray tab. It finally came loose, and the rest was easy.

Before putting everything together, I tried the front camera and phone mirroring. The phone mirroring works, but at first the front camera did not come on. Then I remembered that it would not come on in accessory mode. So I started the car, and there was the display in front of my spoiler. My fingers and back are sore, but since the final outcome was successful, I will not complain. Time for a cold beer. I will put the Vette back together in the morning.

One question: I thought NavTool was going to customize the selections based on what features we wanted to use. I told them that I would only use a front camera and phone mirroring. But in addition to those selections, I also see the side cameras and the rear camera. Do you think there will be any software that will allow us to eliminate these unused selections from the screen?

Thanks again for all your help.
Norm
The Yav (12-31-2017)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:45 PM
eboggs_jkvl

I show the other options but I can't select them with the ****.

410 miles isn't really that far! Only 6 hours!!!!

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To The Geezer's Navtool installation

Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

I show the other options but I can't select them with the ****......

Elmer
When NavTool contacted each of us for specific pre-delivery configuration details, one would think that would allow them to remove unused inputs (in software) so we don't have to click through them and then provide software or instructions on how to reconfigure them should we change camera configurations.

If that is not the case, it would seem the request for specific configurations was merely (another) stalling tactic.

My unit is due Tuesday and I will be somewhat displeased if all the camera inputs are active when I specifically requested only a front camera (at this time).
Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Norm66
Drifting

Default Mooresville NC

I show the other options but I can't select them with the ****.

410 miles isn't really that far! Only 6 hours!!!!

Elmer
Elmer, Same here. They show on the screen but they are not selectable.

Six hours to Mooresville. That is Corvette time. If you are into NASCAR, there is a lot to see in this area. At any rate, we could take you on a very enjoyable tour of Lake Norman.

Thanks again for your help.
Norm
Old 04-02-2016, 04:45 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Skidplate
When NavTool contacted each of us for specific pre-delivery configuration details, one would think that would allow them to remove unused inputs (in software) so we don't have to click through them and then provide software or instructions on how to reconfigure them should we change camera configurations.

If that is not the case, it would seem the request for specific configurations was merely (another) stalling tactic.

My unit is due Tuesday and I will be somewhat displeased if all the camera inputs are active when I specifically requested only a front camera (at this time).
My packing slip had an annotation of Streaming and front. I cannot select anything from the menu except "front", so I conclude they are disabled.

Elmer

Quick Reply: The Geezer's Navtool installation