Sponsored by:

Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
Engines and transmissions are assembled and installed with exacting torque specs. The parts are exacting as well. I can understand these components making the noise at the same RPM across hundreds of cars. Exhaust components, on the other hand consist of pipes, mufflers, baffles, sheet metal, etc. which certainly are capable of making odd noises but I just can't see them making identical noises at the same exact RPMs across so many vehicles. I'd far rather find out it's in the exhaust but the thought of a torque tube or flywheel out of balance and wobbling away through the drive line to the engine bearings and seals gives me the *******.
Point taken. On the other hand, head on over to the Camaro forums and you'll see they have been complaining of an exhaust noise in the active exhaust for, i believe, a few years. I'm bringing mine in next week. My service manager has now heard the recordings and seems like he is onboard. He seems like a decent enough guy.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 08-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

This may sound like a crazy question, but do you guys who are having this sound have your active sound management in your stereo/sound system turned on or turned off?

I turned that off in my Z b/c it was making a background noise. Haven't had the issue since.

Probably not what you guys have - but just thought that would be something simple to check.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Point taken. On the other hand, head on over to the Camaro forums and you'll see they have been complaining of an exhaust noise in the active exhaust for, i believe, a few years. I'm bringing mine in next week. My service manager has now heard the recordings and seems like he is onboard. He seems like a decent enough guy.
If the Camaro folks have been experiencing their problem for "a few years" that may give us a clue as to what to expect from GM on the Corvettes.

My service manager is also "on board" but I still think will not be able to do a thing unless GM authorizes it.

Sorry to sound like a naysayer but I suppose I'm expecting the worse but hoping for the best.

Last edited by Highplains; 08-09-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:59 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

If the Camaro folks have been experiencing their problem for "a few years" that may give us a clue as to what to expect from GM on the Corvettes.

My service manager is also "on board" but I still think will not be able to do a thing unless GM authorizes it.

Sorry to sound like a naysayer but I suppose I'm expecting the worse but hoping for the best.

Update: customer support sent me this PM today:
I haven't heard from you in a couple days and wanted to touch base. My internal resource has been in communication with your dealership to discuss your warble noise concern.
Has the dealership contacted you to discuss the next best step for your Corvette?

I have been on vac. This week but the dealership has my cell, maybe they just called my home phone . I will know when i get home. Anyway i am not going to let them keep changing parts without knowing if it will fix my problem. I will update when i hear from dealership.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Arctic C7
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Final resolution - whistle/chirp

Engines and transmissions are assembled and installed with exacting torque specs. The parts are exacting as well. I can understand these components making the noise at the same RPM across hundreds of cars. Exhaust components, on the other hand consist of pipes, mufflers, baffles, sheet metal, etc. which certainly are capable of making odd noises but I just can't see them making identical noises at the same exact RPMs across so many vehicles. I'd far rather find out it's in the exhaust but the thought of a torque tube or flywheel out of balance and wobbling away through the drive line to the engine bearings and seals gives me the *******.
Hi Guys,

With all the videos that have been shared, I know that my noise is not the warble noise that is the main issue in this thread. However, I had posted my issue and several status updates here - so I wanted to post the final resolution for completeness.

I had been having a whistle, only for a second, during the transition from V4 to V8 while under throttle. The dealer couldn't re-create by toggling the AFM valve by computer with the car just running up on the rack. But every other indication showed that the AFM was involved in the issue - remove the AFM fuse, disconnect the cable from the AFM valve on the exhaust, or the tech even put a nut in the exhaust to keep the valve from fully closing - and the noise would go away.

Over the last 4.5 months they replaced the exhaust assembly (exhaust and AFM/NPP valves) 3 times, they lubed up the AFM valve, they changed the belt and tensioner up front (hail mary that didn't work), and then finally they swapped out the H pipe.

Thankfully the H pipe turned out to be the problem. They even put it in a car that didn't have the noise and it started making the noise. So decent proof that this is the problem child. I am sure they will send it back to GM so the engineer (who had been to the dealer twice to help with this issue) can document the problem.

Good luck in finding a solution to the warble, I hope they can figure it out soon!! And thank you to the forum community for sharing all this information and being so supportive.

Peace.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arctic C7:
bjones7131 (08-17-2016), Highplains (08-12-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Guys my dealer just called and said GM eng. said to replace the rearend. It is on backorder so not sure when it will be in. I am skeptical as to whether it is the rear end or not. I don't believe it is but have no way of know until they install. I knew it wasn't the exhaust and I proved to be correct and my car stayed in the body shop 3 days getting the rear bumper installed correctly. Need you guys opinion, would U let them change it out or not. I really have no other choice or option. What do U think?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Bruce,

Thanks for the update. Did the GM Engr detail what they mean by "the rear end"? Is that the transmission/diff, or is it including the torque tube too, or everything back of the engine? I would push for specifics to help understand their reasoning. Why do they now think this is the right thing to do, when before they thought it was exhaust related, AFM valves and what ever else they've thrown at it.

Regardless, I would let them go ahead and replace the "rear end" and should it not take care of the issue, it might be worth pursuing Lemon Law rights in your state, or pushing for a replacement car with GM in lieu of Legal action. If I remember correctly, this would be at LEAST 3 attempts on your car to solve the problem.

As you are the only one who I am aware of who has gone this far, with this many attempts to solve it, I think it would be the smart thing to do at this point. I would also ask WHAT IF this doesn't solve the problem? Then what? Will they buy it back, or replace the car?

I am greatly appreciative of your efforts Although I have an open case # for the same thing, I have still been sitting on the sidelines as I was hoping all the different things tried would have made for a definitive resolution. I told my dealer that until they KNOW what is wrong, and how to fix it, I'll sit tight until I can't take it anymore.

Thanks again,
Richard
Old 08-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Guys my dealer just called and said GM eng. said to replace the rearend. It is on backorder so not sure when it will be in. I am skeptical as to whether it is the rear end or not. I don't believe it is but have no way of know until they install. I knew it wasn't the exhaust and I proved to be correct and my car stayed in the body shop 3 days getting the rear bumper installed correctly. Need you guys opinion, would U let them change it out or not. I really have no other choice or option. What do U think?
I thought that this had been done unsuccessfully by at least one other person in an attempt to fix the now infamous warble noise which I also have in my car. I have a whole world of "warble" posts on my mailer and will go through them to see. In the meantime, I would agree with Richard and let them go ahead and do it. If you don't let them do it, I would be afraid GM would say you did not cooperate with attempts to fix the problem irregardless of the cause.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Highplains
Pro

I thought that this had been done unsuccessfully by at least one other person in an attempt to fix the now infamous warble noise which I also have in my car. I have a whole world of "warble" posts on my mailer and will go through them to see. In the meantime, I would agree with Richard and let them go ahead and do it. If you don't let them do it, I would be afraid GM would say you did not cooperate with attempts to fix the problem irregardless of the cause.
Update: I was wrong on this. Per his June 30 post, Rick Ashley-Black99 had his transmission replaced in an effort to fix the warble noise without success. As far as I know the C7 tranny and diff are two separate items though, unlike conventional cars, bolted together and connected to the engine by the torque tube. (I hope that's right). Assuming that the diff is separate, then this may be new ground to be covered. If bjones decides to go ahead with this fix, I, for one will anxiously awaiting the results. If the fix is successful, I'm looking forward to talking to my service manager who has maintained that this all is just harmonics through the exhaust.

Last edited by Highplains; 08-15-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Strake
Bruce,

Thanks for the update. Did the GM Engr detail what they mean by "the rear end"? Is that the transmission/diff, or is it including the torque tube too, or everything back of the engine? I would push for specifics to help understand their reasoning. Why do they now think this is the right thing to do, when before they thought it was exhaust related, AFM valves and what ever else they've thrown at it.

Regardless, I would let them go ahead and replace the "rear end" and should it not take care of the issue, it might be worth pursuing Lemon Law rights in your state, or pushing for a replacement car with GM in lieu of Legal action. If I remember correctly, this would be at LEAST 3 attempts on your car to solve the problem.

As you are the only one who I am aware of who has gone this far, with this many attempts to solve it, I think it would be the smart thing to do at this point. I would also ask WHAT IF this doesn't solve the problem? Then what? Will they buy it back, or replace the car?

I am greatly appreciative of your efforts Although I have an open case # for the same thing, I have still been sitting on the sidelines as I was hoping all the different things tried would have made for a definitive resolution. I told my dealer that until they KNOW what is wrong, and how to fix it, I'll sit tight until I can't take it anymore.

Thanks again,
Richard
I think it is just the rear end and I am not sure if that is entire rear or just the actual main gear and housing. I will get clarificartion before the change out if I decide to go with it. I have a PM into my cust. support lady requesting what info the eng based his decision onto replace the rear end. I am not eng. but I bet it isn't the rear end, I would think it would howl, growl or warble all the time if it were. I bet it is in the torque tube assembly. I hate to be the test mule on this and I am considering waiting until about 2 yrs into my warrenty and then really get after a fix and hope GM comes out with a TSB on their own instead of just changing parts. If my dealer and GM could give me some assurance this would fix it, I would jump on it but my confidence level is pretty low at this point. We will see and time will tell and as the old saying goes, " this to shall pass".
Old 08-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Highplains
Pro

I think it is just the rear end and I am not sure if that is entire rear or just the actual main gear and housing. I will get clarificartion before the change out if I decide to go with it. I have a PM into my cust. support lady requesting what info the eng based his decision onto replace the rear end. I am not eng. but I bet it isn't the rear end, I would think it would howl, growl or warble all the time if it were. I bet it is in the torque tube assembly. I hate to be the test mule on this and I am considering waiting until about 2 yrs into my warranty and then really get after a fix and hope GM comes out with a TSB on their own instead of just changing parts. If my dealer and GM could give me some assurance this would fix it, I would jump on it but my confidence level is pretty low at this point. We will see and time will tell and as the old saying goes, " this to shall pass".
I'll take the position of the devil's advocate here by offering a "What if" and its one that has been bothering me. If I go ahead and just wait for something to happen within the warranty period, what damage is occurring in the meantime to the parts involved? We have been thinking about a road trip this fall but I'm not too keen on whatever it is finally producing something more serious and leaving us stranded.

In all honesty, I'd to see that diff changed out but I'm afraid its for as much selfish reasons as anything else. My guess is that you're right. Time will tell. In the meantime, my service manager is probably thinking that I'm a real a-----e because I'm ramping up the pressure for him to get more proactive with GM.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:53 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

I'll take the position of the devil's advocate here by offering a "What if" and its one that has been bothering me. If I go ahead and just wait for something to happen within the warranty period, what damage is occurring in the meantime to the parts involved? We have been thinking about a road trip this fall but I'm not too keen on whatever it is finally producing something more serious and leaving us stranded.

In all honesty, I'd to see that diff changed out but I'm afraid its for as much selfish reasons as anything else. My guess is that you're right. Time will tell. In the meantime, my service manager is probably thinking that I'm a real a-----e because I'm ramping up the pressure for him to get more proactive with GM.
Mine hasn't gotten any worse and if anything it is better. At times i hear it clearly but other times not so much at all so that tells me it isn't a rearend and if it is run it until it breaks and then we will know what it is. We have a roadside assist as part of warrenty so i wouldn't be afraid to travel anywhere. If you really want to bring some heat on your service manager keep bugging customer support, they will contact your dealer and make something happen. I bug them often sometimes being a knot head, i finally attached the video/audio the forum and facebook guys captured. I also smoke them on customer dealer feedback after i have had work done which hasn't been but twice. Shoot them a email, squeeky wheel gets the grease. I hate being the test mule, LOL.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Highplains
Pro

Mine hasn't gotten any worse and if anything it is better. At times i hear it clearly but other times not so much at all so that tells me it isn't a rearend and if it is run it until it breaks and then we will know what it is. We have a roadside assist as part of warrenty so i wouldn't be afraid to travel anywhere. If you really want to bring some heat on your service manager keep bugging customer support, they will contact your dealer and make something happen. I bug them often sometimes being a knot head, i finally attached the video/audio the forum and facebook guys captured. I also smoke them on customer dealer feedback after i have had work done which hasn't been but twice. Shoot them a email, squeeky wheel gets the grease. I hate being the test mule, LOL.
bjones:

I've gone for broke and am in the midst of writing an email to the GM CEO. I'm not demanding anything from her but I want her (if indeed she gets to read it) to tell me whether someone beyond the C. S. robots and area reps are aware of this and trying to at least find out what it is. As for me, I am aware of roadside service but I'm still not too keen on being stranded in Bumf--K, USA with a dealer who doesn't know a Corvette from a mule. (And believe me, those dealers exist.)

Don't blame you a bit for not wanting to be the "test Mule" but if something is going to break, better your car first than mine.
If by some miracle, I do hear from the CEO or someone up in the GM ranks (fat chance), I'll post it. In the meantime, can you send me that video. I will attempt to send it to her as well. I do have a Dropbox account so if you have one, I could access it from there. Or if it's not too big perhaps it could be attached to email
Old 08-16-2016, 04:41 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

bjones:

I've gone for broke and am in the midst of writing an email to the GM CEO. I'm not demanding anything from her but I want her (if indeed she gets to read it) to tell me whether someone beyond the C. S. robots and area reps are aware of this and trying to at least find out what it is. As for me, I am aware of roadside service but I'm still not too keen on being stranded in Bumf--K, USA with a dealer who doesn't know a Corvette from a mule. (And believe me, those dealers exist.)

Don't blame you a bit for not wanting to be the "test Mule" but if something is going to break, better your car first than mine.
If by some miracle, I do hear from the CEO or someone up in the GM ranks (fat chance), I'll post it. In the meantime, can you send me that video. I will attempt to send it to her as well. I do have a Dropbox account so if you have one, I could access it from there. Or if it's not too big perhaps it could be attached to email
Strake captured this, https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ra_svpk-t9E
See if this works for you. U can seach youtube for c7 corvette warble i believe, it is same as above.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Highplains
Pro

Strake captured this, https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Ra_svpk-t9E
See if this works for you. U can seach youtube for c7 corvette warble i believe, it is same as above.
Thanks.Got it and I've included the URL with the email.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm about to take mine back to the dealership too. I got some great video of the warble noise the other day I need to post as well. I've got into the habit of just turning up the radio so I don't hear it. I was thinking isn't this just crap my first brand new vette and I've got this damn noise.
Il try to get my video posted up here tomorrow.

-Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by RichAshley-Black99:
bjones7131 (08-17-2016), Strake (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

For the life of me I don't know why GM doesn't go to a dealer and get a stingray with this noise and change parts until they find the problem and then send out a TSB for the fix. They will spend a lot of money and cause a lot of us grief until we chanse down the problem. It appears they are waiting on us to push the rope for a fix. Thanks for the feedback guys, keep posting any new news you may have.
Bruce
The following 2 users liked this post by bjones7131:
Ernest_T (01-05-2017), Strake (08-17-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Highplains
Pro

Default More Warble Sound News

I mentioned in another post about this problem that I'd gotten frustrated not knowing what GM was doing about this, if anything, and fired off an email to the CEO of GM, Mary Barra. Actually, I didn't expect a thing to come of it but I did get a call back from an "Executive Liaison". She basically took down all the information and will be calling my service manager to see if they can work out something to figure the noise out and get it fixed. I made sure she knew that I was hardly the only person with this problem and that there was a bunch of us waiting on a fix or at least an explanation.

What this will result in from the real world will be interesting to see. As usual, my service manager was not answering his phone but I did forewarn him on his voicemail that GM will be calling. I hope he answers their call. I'm like the other forum member however and I'm not to fired up for the idea of GM using my car as a test bed. They have a demonstrator that makes the sound as well and can use it.

This lady is to call me again tomorrow, I suppose after she talks talks with my service manager. If indeed someone from GM (an area rep, I suppose) gets involved in this, I'm going to tell her that I want to be a part of it.

Any suggestions on this are welcome.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Highplains,

Thanks for the update..... You too, Bruce !!!

I'm hoping in your response yesterday ... "Thanks.Got it and I've included the URL with the email" that you are saying you are sending GM the link to my YouTube video clip with the sound.

Please feel free to PM me if you want my name, and contact information for GM. I too have an open "case number" from GM customer service, but I told my local dealer that I'm waiting for GM Engineering to figure it out first.

Thanks,
Richard (Strake)

Last edited by Strake; 08-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

I mentioned in another post about this problem that I'd gotten frustrated not knowing what GM was doing about this, if anything, and fired off an email to the CEO of GM, Mary Barra. Actually, I didn't expect a thing to come of it but I did get a call back from an "Executive Liaison". She basically took down all the information and will be calling my service manager to see if they can work out something to figure the noise out and get it fixed. I made sure she knew that I was hardly the only person with this problem and that there was a bunch of us waiting on a fix or at least an explanation.

What this will result in from the real world will be interesting to see. As usual, my service manager was not answering his phone but I did forewarn him on his voicemail that GM will be calling. I hope he answers their call. I'm like the other forum member however and I'm not to fired up for the idea of GM using my car as a test bed. They have a demonstrator that makes the sound as well and can use it.

This lady is to call me again tomorrow, I suppose after she talks talks with my service manager. If indeed someone from GM (an area rep, I suppose) gets involved in this, I'm going to tell her that I want to be a part of it.

Any suggestions on this are welcome.
Good for u, send me her email and i will send one as well, u can pm me if you like. I got a call today saying the new rearend is in. It was on my phone mail and i haven't responded. Another guy on a different post said he has rear end noise not sure it is like owers but bottom line he had them chack and add rear end fluid and fixed his noise. I have a call into a local dealer to check mine, wouldn't it be ironic if that was the problem. I don't think we should be that lucky. Keep the pressure on guys.
Bruce

Last edited by bjones7131; 08-17-2016 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bdona77 (09-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally