Sponsored by:

Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Why not get the AFM Disabler to stop the car from going into V4 mode? Afterall, it a frig'n sports car.
Maxie, that doesn't work, wish it did. I have tried mine in manual mode (V8 all the time), and even with that you have to keep the rpm's past that magical 1500 mark to keep the noise at bay. I even let mine do what it wanted for over 500 miles, and the noise while annoying never got worse. Stumped I am.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 09-30-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
Benlo,

My car is going to be used as the one they tear down to determine the root cause and provide the fix. The Lead Corvette Development Engineer for noise and vibration was at my local dealer with me for nearly two days last week collecting tons of measurement data. They said this was worse than any another they had seen.

GM is doing a buyback /trade on my car as they want this car back in Detroit. The replacement C7 (Grand Sport, 3LT ) has been ordered and the order was placed directly into the factory with the help of the Corvette Brand Manager, and Marketing Mgr to make that happen, and expedite it. Although I offered repeatedly, the existing car (Warble noise) can't get picked up until the new one arrives. I offered for them to take it Monday when all this got finalized, but it can't happen that way. The existing one will get picked up and taken to Detroit the same day, or following day by truck, once the replacement car is in. The new one is expected in about 3 weeks.

I have been getting updates every few days from GM Management and I know they are HOT to get this resolved for all, quickly. They are totally committed to this and are well aware of the many other enthusiast owners anxious to get their car fixed.
I'm curious, did GM give you blue book (trade-in) value for your car and then you have to pay the difference for the 3LT GS? If yes, did they give you an MRSP discount equal to what other dealers (like MacMulkin) are giving?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Timohio
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=bjones7131;1593158720]
Originally Posted by JPutney

I agree, there is no reason they couldn't take Richard's car before his new one is produced and start disecting it. I know they say this noise isn't hurting anything but how can they say that if they don't even know what it is. If they buy my car back i don't really want a z51, z06, or a GS so that sucks. I have pushed every button i know of to get my car fixed and don't really know what else to do but wait.
I'm like you I really don't want another model or spend more money. I kept my last vette for 8 years. I would prefer just to have it fixed. There is no way that GM will buy back all these cars. Trade is one thing , but a buy back where you walk away and buy a different brand is another.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:47 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

First time I noticed this thread.

FWIW I had a '14 with an A6 (non NPP) and it made the same noise, drove it for a year, annoyed me almost every day lol. My '16 A8 NPP also has it but you have to try a little harder. And to make it even more interesting I have driven at least a half dozen other auto trans C7s, Z51 and non, and most of them you could make do it. Friend of mine sells high end import sports cars and has me look over C6/C7 trades for damage/mods before he decides to sell them himself or auction them off so I get a chance to drive others besides mine.

I originally thought it was a V4 issue, but as mentioned here it will do it on the highway in 8th (or 6th with the A6) around 1500rm in V8, light throttle, especially on a long grade. Went so far as putting a go pro camera and a 12v light under the hood to see/hear what was going on. I thought it was coming from the rear but passengers claimed it was coming from the front.

Either way, could not really hear anything distinct from the camera under the hood, but you could see the engine shake when you heard the noise. I dont know if its a cam phasing or tune issue where the engine is lugging at that rpm or just a bunch of factors lining up to produce a harmonic vibration of some kind.

Many people do not notice, or if they do they don't care. I don't care really, it annoys me, but I'll just drop it down a gear and motor on. If it was just my car doing it I would look into it more. Haven't found a perfect car yet from any manufacture..

Hopefully GM will figure out what it is, would not mind seeing a fix but I'm not holding my breath. Kudos to you guys for pursuing it with the dealer and GM.
The following users liked this post:
bjones7131 (10-02-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 2015

Originally Posted by Strake
TimOhio,

You are missing the whole point of me doing the repurchase / trade..... I am not just trading this car in.....

GM Engineering wants THIS SPECIFIC car back to Detroit to use to tear down and determine the root cause and come up with the proper fix. They sent an acoustics Noise and Vibration Development Engineer to my local dealer for 2 days. They got a ton of electronic data from about 30 sensors placed in different locations on my drive line and suspension components, and drove it a total of 106 miles between measurements to collect data. They treated me very fairly on the the transaction to make this possible. I chose to move up from a Stingray base as I didn't want to run the risk that I could get another one with the same issue.

I believe all affected are 2016 cars. I don't recall anyone with a 2015 chiming in on this.
Mines a 2015 2Lt Non Z51

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by RichAshley-Black99:
BENLO (09-30-2016), Strake (09-30-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 AM
tnbirdieman
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I think I am the latest victim of this issue. 2016 Z51 A8 2LT with 6950 miles on it and purchased 06/2016 and built 11/2015. On my way to work this morning out of nowhere I start hearing a metal on metal grinding sound. I am able to reproduce it at will and its loud. Its always at 1300 to 1500 RPM either as soon as it goes from V8 to V4 or as it is just about to go from V4 to V8. I can make it last almost indefinitely by very lightly applying throttle or holding it where it is at or I can make it go away by applying moderate throttle or letting off gas completely. I don't know If I would describe it as a "warble" but it does not sound good at all. Sounds like metal on metal kind of like what you hear when a car has no brake pads left on it. To me the sound is coming from under the console or just to the right of it and under the car. Taking it to dealer later today or in the morning. I can not believe my car started doing this. To say I am disappointed is a MAJOR understatement.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tnbirdieman
I think I am the latest victim of this issue. 2016 Z51 A8 2LT with 6950 miles on it and purchased 06/2016 and built 11/2015. On my way to work this morning out of nowhere I start hearing a metal on metal grinding sound. I am able to reproduce it at will and its loud. Its always at 1300 to 1500 RPM either as soon as it goes from V8 to V4 or as it is just about to go from V4 to V8. I can make it last almost indefinitely by very lightly applying throttle or holding it where it is at or I can make it go away by applying moderate throttle or letting off gas completely. I don't know If I would describe it as a "warble" but it does not sound good at all. Sounds like metal on metal kind of like what you hear when a car has no brake pads left on it. To me the sound is coming from under the console or just to the right of it and under the car. Taking it to dealer later today or in the morning. I can not believe my car started doing this. To say I am disappointed is a MAJOR understatement.
A metal to metal grinding sound does not sound like the "warble" I'm familiar with. Have you listened to Richard Straker's video to compare the noise you have with his? GM is using it as the hallmark warble noise in their research on this. See this on YouTube:

If your sound matches this, you will want to get a case number opened at your dealer but with the cause of the problem undetermined, I wouldn't let them do anything. In the past, dealers have just thrown new parts at the cars accomplishing nothing but frustration for everyone.

Last edited by Highplains; 10-04-2016 at 12:02 PM.
bdona77 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by tnbirdieman
Try driving in manual with the paddles and see if noise goes away, doing this keeps the car from going into 4 cylinder mode and the afm valves are rendered open. Lets us know what happens with this process and what the dealer says. Bummer
Old 10-04-2016, 04:43 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The sound in my 1000 mile 2017 a8 sounds just like the sound in the strake video. It is not a grinding sound at all. I am just waiting to see if this thread suggests a solution.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
tnbirdieman
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Just left my service dealership (car bought 500 miles away at Criswell) and took the service manager for a ride. He immediately said the torque converter is going out and a new one is on the way. My car will also make the sound for about 2 seconds about 10 feet before it comes to a complete stop. It will not make the sound at all in M mode. My sound is totally different than the one in the video but the way to make it happen and or not happen is EXACTLY the same. I can also feel it in the steering wheel when it happens. My car is a Z51 so maybe the problem is the same but the sound is not due to different parts. I have multiple examples of my sound on video while driving but don't know how to post videos to YouTube.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by white90conv
The sound in my 1000 mile 2017 a8 sounds just like the sound in the strake video. It is not a grinding sound at all. I am just waiting to see if this thread suggests a solution.
Richard Straker, a forum member who posted the video, had his car bought back by GM. They are taking it to Detroit to take apart an find the source of the noise. Once that occurs, they should release a TSB to all the dealers on what the fix is. However, this may be several months in the offing. In the meantime, I have yet to hear of any harm done to a vehicle yet. What is most interesting about your post is that you're the first person I've heard of with the "warble" in the 2017.

Last edited by Highplains; 10-04-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Highplains
Richard Straker, a forum member who posted the video, had his car bought back by GM. They are taking it to Detroit to take apart an find the source of the noise. Once that occurs, they should release a TSB to all the dealers on what the fix is. However, this may be several months in the offing. In the meantime, I have yet to hear of any harm done to a vehicle yet. What is most interesting about your post is that you're the first person I've heard of with the "warble" in the 2017.
Pete it may be because the 2017 have just hit the streets and not enough run time or folks just haven't figured it out or haven't stumbled onto this post. Lets hope the 2017's aren't plagued with this problem. There may be hundreds or thousands of these vettes with this issue. This could be a very costly fix for GM.
Muzzy (10-06-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Pete it may be because the 2017 have just hit the streets and not enough run time or folks just haven't figured it out or haven't stumbled onto this post. Lets hope the 2017's aren't plagued with this problem. There may be hundreds or thousands of these vettes with this issue. This could be a very costly fix for GM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Just heard from a guy on fb stingray group who has same issue, this is his comments:
They had it 3 days last week and finally started hearing the problem. Service advisor (SA) says he can now almost duplicate it at will. I took it back to them this morning and they connected the sensor kit. Just heard from them and SA says the sensors narrowed it down to the differential. Called GM and GM says first they should try replacing fluid in rear end, and if that doesn’t work, plan on replacing the axle assembly. SA doesn’t think fluid will fix it, but that is first step according to GM. Should hear back tomorrow on status.

I read behind another certified mechanic who said he thought it maybe the fluid and he changed his himself and will provide feedback when he gets some run time. I think this is wishful thinking but what do i know.
Muzzy (10-06-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Just heard from a guy on fb stingray group who has same issue, this is his comments:
They had it 3 days last week and finally started hearing the problem. Service advisor (SA) says he can now almost duplicate it at will. I took it back to them this morning and they connected the sensor kit. Just heard from them and SA says the sensors narrowed it down to the differential. Called GM and GM says first they should try replacing fluid in rear end, and if that doesn’t work, plan on replacing the axle assembly. SA doesn’t think fluid will fix it, but that is first step according to GM. Should hear back tomorrow on status.

I read behind another certified mechanic who said he thought it maybe the fluid and he changed his himself and will provide feedback when he gets some run time. I think this is wishful thinking but what do i know.
I'm surprised GM isn't waiting for the outcome of the tests on the Straker car.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

That is another thing that bothers me, i don't think the GM ENG. are sharing info. I wonder if they are just string us along. If this is as big a deal as we have been led to believe you would think they would tell whomever in GM to hang tight until they diagnose and come up with a fix but obviously this isn't happening for whatever reason.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
I'm surprised GM isn't waiting for the outcome of the tests on the Straker car.
This whole thing is like a clown funeral - tragically hilarious. From what I've seen, many of the dealers don't understand these cars yet and/or are so arrogant they don't even realize that they don't understand basics anymore, GM isn't talking internally - dealing with the Exec office doesn't help, numerous people have the issue yet no one really truly acknowledges it, the parts shotgun is firing away with duplicate repairs to no avail. Someone please tell me how a 70K car got released like this and we're supposed to suck it up while, if we're lucky, a sub par trade out deal is offered because it's obvious they're trying to fend off the lemon law cases because once that floodgate opens it's going to blow back on them hard.
This should be an all hands on deck, fix this situation event. Has no one got any shame any more?

For goodness sake, they put differential fluid in my car for the 1,000 noise and the 1,500 warble - don't they understand diff clutches are locked in a straight line??? I actually had to explain a differential to the service writer and when pressed the tech admitted it was just a try. Well chalk up a swing and a miss in the repair attempt column.

Our money was green enough for the dealer and GM to take - where the Hell is the service? And while I'm at it, why the Hell isn't Bruce's car fixed - he started this freaking thread 557 posts ago.

Then, they start talking about torque tubes, diffs, trannys - guess what - no chicken dinners there either. I got an IM from a guy where they replaced his fuel injectors for this...HIS FREAKING FUEL INJECTORS!

I have an idea, lets see how much major surgery we can have done repeatedly because no one at GM and the dealers is sharing information. Then they can have all these cars back and they can examine them all. Maybe when it starts to hit them in the wallet they will care.

And I don't want to hear how we should all wait while they look at Richards car. Many of us have been strung along and promised the same things for months but it was empty.

GM just fix these cars or get us the hell out of them fairly. My next rant is going to be an open letter and certified letters to Mary Bara and every executive up the chain. And I have so many PDR recordings that show this that I will try to reach as many people as possible to prevent them from going down this road. We trusted you and in good faith bought these cars. DO THE RIGHT THING GM!

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 10-04-2016 at 10:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
bdona77 (10-13-2016), BENLO (10-04-2016), bjones7131 (10-05-2016), Muzzy (10-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 10-05-2016, 12:55 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

My money is on an inadequate (undersized) bearing design (or improperly hardened races/***** in the bearing) in the torque tube or diff...that's what it sounds like to me.....

Last edited by ersatz928; 10-05-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:19 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RArvin
Knowing how frustrating this warbling sound can be as per my entries in April of 2016, I have viewed most but all of subsequent posts and did not hear of anyone trying what apparently has worked for me in eliminating this pesky warbling sound. After doing all that my limited automobile skills allowed me to, such as filling the differential fluid completely to the bottom of the fill hole, properly inflating the rear tires, checking the torque on the lug nuts, I had the dealer rotate the tires in obvious side to side order. Driving on the same roads as before where this noise was the loudest, the noise has disappeared and has never returned to this date. For this, I have no explanation and hope this can work for those who have been so frustrated by such a small problem affecting the enjoyment of driving and owning such a fantastic automobile as our Corvettes. Best of luck to you all.

For those that rotated their wheels, how did this work out?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Highplains
Pro

Default Lottery

It has occurred to me that we could turn this into something more positive with a lottery to be won by the warbler who guesses or comes nearest to the reason GM says is the cause of the noise-that is,if indeed they find it at all. The winner gets a new, non-warbling ZO6 provided by GM. I'm sure that Ms. Bara, GM CEO would just jump for this....

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally