Sponsored by:

Reset Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Reset Check Engine light

I installed a Navigation Upgrade Module yesterday and it seems that it triggered the Check Engine light when the car computer lost sync with the module that I removed. Is there a way for me to reset the light so it doesn't come on or do I have to take it to the dealer? I have a 2016 1LT. Thanks in advance for any insight as to how it's done.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

If you don't own a ODBII/CAN scan tool, your local AutoZone will read the codes and reset them for free.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that works.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by green2000
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that works.
Ah, thanks. I was going to ask if disconnecting the battery might work.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

i agree with Zymurgy, get the scanner... you can use it on all vehicles and it is extremely useful to have...
Old 04-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
i agree with Zymurgy, get the scanner... you can use it on all vehicles and it is extremely useful to have...
Thanks. That might be something for the long term but for now I'd like to get it done soon. With my luck I'll brick the car if I try it myself.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I picked up this scanner to use with my iPhone. It's compatible with several different apps, just plug it in, pick it as your wifi and fire up the app. There are lots of them on the market though to choose from.

Amazon.com: OBD2 Scanner wifi version Checks Engine Lights and Diagnostics - elm327 wifi OBDII Works with iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPod touch, PC - Life-Time Money-Back Guarantee! Limited Time Offer!: Automotive Amazon.com: OBD2 Scanner wifi version Checks Engine Lights and Diagnostics - elm327 wifi OBDII Works with iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPod touch, PC - Life-Time Money-Back Guarantee! Limited Time Offer!: Automotive
Old 04-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Slow Poke
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
I installed a Navigation Upgrade Module yesterday and it seems that it triggered the Check Engine light when the car computer lost sync with the module that I removed. Is there a way for me to reset the light so it doesn't come on or do I have to take it to the dealer? I have a 2016 1LT. Thanks in advance for any insight as to how it's done.
Just for FYI, the are up to 20 onboard modules in the C7. A typical obd2 scanner will only clear the pcm engine codes. The nav, abs, radio, suspension, and other modules can not be cleared with those scanners. You need access to a GM MDI2 or a GM pass through cable with the GM GDS2 software available for $57 for 3 days. The pass through cable J2534 mongoose is the cheapest option at~$500.

Your car is still under warranty, so a trip to the dealer is your best option for now to clear. Just don't tell them you upgraded the nav module as this may void the warranty.
sgt1372 (11-07-2020)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I picked up this scanner to use with my iPhone. It's compatible with several different apps, just plug it in, pick it as your wifi and fire up the app. There are lots of them on the market though to choose from.
OK, this looks simple enough, I just ordered it and I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The OP has a Check Engine Light. That can be reset with an OBDII scanner.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I wonder if something else is up? I've also added factory nav to mine and no check engine light. I pulled the neg on the batt though before tearing into it.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I wonder if something else is up? I've also added factory nav to mine and no check engine light. I pulled the neg on the batt though before tearing into it.
I contacted Chris at OEM Auto Parts (where I bought the nav upgrade) and he said this does happen on occasion when the car computer gets tripped up when it loses sync with the module. And I did not disconnect the battery when switching out the module.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Update...

This turned out to be much ado about nothing. I just disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and hooked it back up and the Check Engine light went out. Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the OBDII scanner but I will hang on to it for future use.
Landru (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM
djmz51
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you reset the battery. Should I unhook the red or black side and what order?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by djmz51
How do you reset the battery. Should I unhook the red or black side and what order?
Disconnecting battery resets & reboots computers.
Disconnect black/neg first, eliminates chance of spark.
Hooking up new battery, red/pos first, then neg.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi All,

FWIW,

I installed the module on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway at Peaks of Otter after driving the car for the first 500 miles. My check engine light came on, about the time I was done cursing and cycled the car on and off once or twice the light went out by itself.

Thanks Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 03-30-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Check. Engine LightOP THE CHECK

thanks,
that works for me. Replaced battery, check engine light come on, disconnected the neg, then the positive, reconnected red first, black second, that reset the computer, stopped the check engine light from coming on.

Get notified of new replies

To Reset Check Engine light

Old 09-06-2018, 09:52 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
If you don't own a ODBII/CAN scan tool, your local AutoZone will read the codes and reset them for free.
I was told (by them) that they aren't legally allowed to reset/clear codes; just read them.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I was told (by them) that they aren't legally allowed to reset/clear codes; just read them.
I would suspect they do that as corporate policy Vs any state or federal regulation that rules they can't do it. Why take the liability of turning it off and then having somebody come back and say you ruined my engine? Seems to be a total down side risk with not a whisper of upside. If they replace your battery the process automatically resets the codes so if there was a regulation it would also prohibit them from replacing your battery. As for telling Customers it is illegal that is just an easy way to hide what your real position is.

Bill
Old 11-07-2020, 11:21 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I wanted to provide an update to this thread the pretty much mirrors earlier comments about how voltage sensitive these cars are. I have a 2019 Z06 that I ordered and took delivery in July of 2018 so the car is almost 2.5 years old. I work out of my home office and due to the crazy Covid world we now live in, I really don't get to drive the car as much as I want to, plus my driving time is split with my C5 convertible.

I have battery tenders for both cars, however I only used them pre-Covid when I was traveling on business and knew the cars were going to sit for an extended period. On two separate occasions after my C7Z has sat in my garage for 10+ days without being driven, I've had various DIC and service error message appear. The first time, was about 6 months ago during the initial Covid shut down when after a rough, strained cold start, I received the "Service Rear Axle" message followed by a rough idle. I drove the car a short distance running some local errands, and when I re-started the car, the message went away and everything was fine. I had a service appointment at the dealership the next week for my second free oil change and told the Corvette tech about the error code. They scanned the system and could not find anything and agreed it was probably due to the battery being partially drained. Fast forward to this week, after another 14-day period of inactivity, I started the car and shortly thereafter, had the DIC message "Reduced Engine Power Warning" pop up which did result in a reduction of engine power as the engine wouldn't rev at all beyond the idle. However, in addition to the DIC message, my Check Engine light also displayed on the dash. After shutting the car down, I restarted and although the "Reduced Engine Power Warning" DIC message did not return, the Check Engine light remained lit on the dash.

I plugged in my CTEK battery tender overnight and noticed it took over 10 hours to trickle charge the battery back up to green or fully charged mode. I removed the tender rear power outlet connection and started the car. Again, it started fine with no DIC error message, but the check engine light remained. I then disconnected the battery, negative then positive, waited 15 minutes and reconnected positive then negative, and restarted the car. Started fine and the Check Engine light disappeared.

I know I need to get into the habit of hooking up the battery tender on a more regular basis, however since it took over 10 hours to recharge it last time, I may be looking into a new battery sooner than later. My only performance mods are a Borla X-pipe, a Tony Momo ported TB, and the GM Jake CAI. I added the lighted coupe wind restrictor, however that's wired into the auxiliary power fuse so that shouldn't be an issue for the battery.

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-07-2020 at 11:29 AM.
mike.norton (03-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Reset Check Engine light