C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a used Z51 or wait? First time owner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:51 PM
darrenatsfo
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy a used Z51 or wait? First time owner...

I’ve had my eyes on owning a Corvette for many years, been telling my wife that I was going to buy one for my 40th birthday fall of 2017 which she is okay with. Realistically I want to spend around 80k range which I figured at that time I could easily find a well optioned Z06 in that price range. The past few years I’ve tossed around the idea with getting a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial edition which I’ve passed up a few deals with very low miles, part of the reason is everyone that I’ve spoken with that owned c6 models and upgraded to c7’s say don’t do it and wait. I continue to look and have the bug bad and not sure I can wait and off course maybe a great deal has fallen into my lap maybe good enough to make me pull the trigger early and settle for a few years. Potentially I can buy a 2014 z51 with 5k miles in the low 40k range which on the surface seems like a good deal, but I’m thinking bigger picture if I decide to upgrade in a year or two will I be able to get the money out of the z51? It seems like all the 2016 models have heavy discounts, and I would imagine once the Grand Sport is available the older model c7’s will decline. On paper the deal looks like I’m getting the car way below dealer trade in which currently shows around 48-49k, but I’m also seeing brand new 2016 models discounted in the low 50’s, I’m wondering if the blue book hasn’t caught up to actual market prices. Part of my thought process is even if I get a deal and then pay the 8.5% sales tax could I break even in a year when I upgrade? Have to justify and sell the idea to the wife 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:03 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

A used Z51 will be the fastest car you can imagine.

If you are buying an A8, go 2016 to get the trans cooler. Also, I'd highly recommend getting a car with Mag Shocks.

Buying a late-model used car is a great bargain if you can find a car equipped as you want it.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Don't worry about the depreciation aspect. You're buying a toy to enjoy and you will miss out on all the "cool" features of the newer model if you settle for a 2014. I recommend you go with your 80k budget and get a 2017 3LT Z51 or a 2016 3LT Z51 (if there are no major worthwhile changes). Right now you can get a fully loaded NEW 2016 for 12-13% off MSRP from McMulkin/Kerbeck, putting it around 72-75k. I'm not sure what changes are to come for the 2017, but my best guess is discounts will be in the 7-10% range at best. (The difference between 9% vs 12% discount on a full loaded car comes out to be around $3k; you decide if the new 2017 features are worth it or not)

Since I plan to use my C7 as a DD (or as often as possible), I want to be able to enjoy it to its fullest potential. Coming from a Mercedes background, I know that if I try to cheap out on the interior/options I will be disappointed.

Z06 are too much trouble for a DD and the additional maintenance/insurance/tires/etc.. cost is not worth it for me. I MIGHT consider a 2017 GS if they come out with all season/winter tires, but at the moment that possibility is looking quite grim. Guess we'll find out whats new after Apr 29 (NCM Bash).

Last edited by Bui; 04-15-2016 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
darrenatsfo (04-18-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 04:07 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Are you saying you want a used Z51 to tide you over for a year until your birthday at which point you will get a Z06?

If so, that's dumb. I'd be patient.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:14 PM
darrenatsfo
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dilemma is when the c7 first came out I liked the z51 but didn’t love it, I even went down to the dealer to see what it would take to order one but knew the z06 would be coming out in a year and wanted to wait to see what that was about. When they first came out the z51 was around 72k optioned out and everyone was selling at MSRP, but now as you can see the 2016 models are 5-10k off, I was stoked when they announced the new Grand Sport. My guess the GS will be in high demand for the first year and will sell at full MSRP and it appears the dealers know demand is going to go way down for base Stingray models with the GS only being a slightly higher price. In this case the owner is looking to trade it in on a new z06 and says the dealer will only give them 41k which seemed really low. I’m just wondering if the dealers know the older c7 prices are about to take a big drop this summer once the GS is out. In a perfect world I buy this z51 and in a year upgrade to a new Grand Sport with little to no hit on the car when I go to sell it.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:28 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Kind of difficult if not impossible to predict what a used 2014 Z51 will bring in a years time.
The best I can suggest is buy what you really want when you want it.
Rebel Yell (04-16-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 04:34 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

For $80k you can buy a new Z06 from one of the big forum dealers. The hot car next year will be the GS.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

OP Can you please show me brand new 2016 Corvettes in the lower 50's?

This means it would be under $55k. I have yet to see these unicorns.

Also if you can get a 2014 Z51 with 5k miles for close to 40k that does not have a salvaged title or some kind of really bad history then you better get it because that is an absolute steal.

Last edited by TennisFreak; 04-15-2016 at 04:58 PM.
darrenatsfo (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 05:05 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Wait for the C8 to come out.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenatsfo
I’ve had my eyes on owning a Corvette for many years, been telling my wife that I was going to buy one for my 40th birthday fall of 2017 which she is okay with. Realistically I want to spend around 80k range which I figured at that time I could easily find a well optioned Z06 in that price range. The past few years I’ve tossed around the idea with getting a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial edition which I’ve passed up a few deals with very low miles, part of the reason is everyone that I’ve spoken with that owned c6 models and upgraded to c7’s say don’t do it and wait. I continue to look and have the bug bad and not sure I can wait and off course maybe a great deal has fallen into my lap maybe good enough to make me pull the trigger early and settle for a few years. Potentially I can buy a 2014 z51 with 5k miles in the low 40k range which on the surface seems like a good deal, but I’m thinking bigger picture if I decide to upgrade in a year or two will I be able to get the money out of the z51? It seems like all the 2016 models have heavy discounts, and I would imagine once the Grand Sport is available the older model c7’s will decline. On paper the deal looks like I’m getting the car way below dealer trade in which currently shows around 48-49k, but I’m also seeing brand new 2016 models discounted in the low 50’s, I’m wondering if the blue book hasn’t caught up to actual market prices. Part of my thought process is even if I get a deal and then pay the 8.5% sales tax could I break even in a year when I upgrade? Have to justify and sell the idea to the wife 
As a former owner of a 2013 Grand Sport convertible, 3LT, Auto, I traded and ordered a 2016 Stingray Z51 convertible, 3LT, A8, Mag Ride, Carbon Fiber dash, Competition seats, Twilight Blue Design Pkg. Car MSRP $85k. Outstanding trade, new car below invoice (9% discount). Ordered car in Sept. took delivery Nov. 2015. C7 is light years ahead of the C6. The discounts are even better now for 2016s. 12%. I would not wait, work with one of the reputable large forum dealers. The 2017s are not going to change much, no HP increase, perhaps technology tweaks and additions, new wheels, colors, repackaging of options, etc. Plus, 2017 will have a price increase and little discounting.

FYI....dealers do not use KBB, NADA, etc. They use auction prices, current market values.
Attached Images   

Last edited by capecodvette; 04-15-2016 at 05:07 PM.
darrenatsfo (04-18-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 05:33 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

In my experience timing has a great deal to do with the price and availability of Corvettes. If you can wait, IMHO the best time to buy is between Thanksgiving and Valentine's day. I bought my new 2015 Z51 Convertible from Les Stanford for employee (which I'm not) price less 3k in GM credit card points and $750 USAA rebate. If you're buying local, I like the crappiest Friday night in January. You'll probably be the only one in the showroom.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by darrenatsfo
OP: I have a few questions.

The first one is very simple but you need to answer it to yourself. Why do you want a Corvette?? Once you know the why it gets easier to decide the whats and hows. All I see is you have wanted one.

The second question is what types of cars are you used to driving? Stepping out of a grocery getter sedan, SUV or PU into a base level Corvette can be quite a surprise in the different level of performance. A long time ago GM did marketing shows where people were invited to drive Corvettes on a closed course in a controlled environment. I was a volunteer instructor for one of those shows. I had multiple people who were overwhelmed by just part throttle acceleration that didn't even come close to squeaking the tires. One woman said she had never accelerated that fast before. You need to understand where you are in the driver spectrum.

1. If the why is a cool looking car then a base Stingray without the Z51 may be an answer.

2. If there are performance reasons such as autocrossing, hpde's or canyon carving then the Z51 may be the answer.

3. If you are driving plain jane types of cars like most of the ones on the market then you may want to decide how big of a performance step you want to take as your first baby step.

4. If you are coming from a Miata you will have a sense of the cornering grip but not the power.

Bill
Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how they price the C7 Grand Sport. Loaded Z51's are in the $80's. If the Grand Sport adds a few grand you might be able to pick up a Z06 for Grand Sport territory.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

OK just my 2 cents. I am on Corvette number 5 been driving Corvette for 40 years. Current car is 2015 A8,3LT and Z51. The 14 sounds OK if you know the car or it is dealer/GM certified which gives you piece of mind the car has been checked out by Chevy. I like Z51, yes a bit stiffer ride but larger tires and brakes. Non Z51 is a great car and will ride softer. I love the look of the Z06 with all the goodies but C7 and Z51 is a very fast car so for me unless you are going to track you don't need a Z06 to enjoy a spirited drive in a Corvette. All things considered I think I would look to buy a new 2016 with Z51 as with 2017 out soon you might get nice discount on the 16. Take your time and get the car you want the first time around even if you have to pay a bit more for it.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 04-16-2016 at 12:43 AM.
darrenatsfo (04-18-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 07:44 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

OP a few things to consider:
If you have never owned a Corvette, it is tough to use anywhere near the full performance of even a Base car on the street; and nowhere in your post do you suggest you will be tracking the car.
While the Z06 (especially Z06/Z07) is very cool and a true beast of a car, its performance is lost anywhere but on a track; and it isn't nearly as good an everyday car or even weekend cruiser as the standard C7.
Contrary to what most believe based upon the C6 GS, the C7 Grand Sport will not be a $3,500 upcharge - it will be closer to (if not over) $10,000 more than a standard Z51, although that will include MSRC.
I don't expect the GS's will be tough to come by after the first 3 months of production - there is more than enough capacity to make 50% Z06's, which right now are running at 35%; and C7 sales, even with huge incentives are way down and trending lower.
Don't expect any C7 you buy used to not lose value in 2 years - the car you are looking at is priced where it is for a reason (may be equipment, condition or history).
Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
Don't worry about the depreciation aspect. You're buying a toy to enjoy and you will miss out on all the "cool" features of the newer model if you settle for a 2014. I recommend you go with your 80k budget and get a 2017 3LT Z51 or a 2016 3LT Z51 (if there are no major worthwhile ).
OP,
2014 - 2016 are essentially the same car. There have been a few new options, but none are to die for. Your decision should not be impacted by this person's biased opinion.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-16-2016 at 08:47 AM.
darrenatsfo (04-18-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:17 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

If the used one is optioned how you like it, I'd go that route, and keep $35k invested & earning money. Depreciation on a 2-3 year old car is going to be a much smaller expense than depreciation on a brand new car, unless you're planning to keep it for 20 years.

If you're at a point in life where money doesn't matter too much, then buy a new one. The changes from 2014 to 2016 aren't really significant, in my opinion.

I agree that at $40k you should be able to buy and drive for a couple of years and end up with a depreciation cost of $3000 or less...particularly if you sell to a private party. Is it worth that to you? You might even find your itch is scratched enough by your first $40k Corvette that you don't really desire the $80k version of the car.

Last edited by UsernameProtected; 04-16-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy a used Z51 or wait? First time owner...

Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
If the used one is optioned how you like it, I'd go that route, and keep $35k invested & earning money. Depreciation on a 2-3 year old car is going to be a much smaller expense than depreciation on a brand new car, unless you're planning to keep it for 20 years.

If you're at a point in life where money doesn't matter too much, then buy a new one. The changes from 2014 to 2016 aren't really significant, in my opinion.

I agree that at $40k you should be able to buy and drive for a couple of years and end up with a depreciation cost of $3000 or less...particularly if you sell to a private party. Is it worth that to you? You might even find your itch is scratched enough by your first $40k Corvette that you don't really desire the $80k version of the car.
$40k -$44k right now will get him a mid mileage 2014 / 2015 1LT no Z51, so he needs to take that into consideration.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-16-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak

Also if you can get a 2014 Z51 with 5k miles for close to 40k that does not have a salvaged title or some kind of really bad history then you better get it because that is an absolute steal.
http://kerbeck.com (unicorn)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by TennisFreak

Finding a 2016 in the low 50s is easy. Criswell has at least two on their website, maybe more in stock.
However, the comment about a 14, Z51 with less than 5K on the clock for close to $40K is right on. Sounds like a reconstruct or salvage title. Better do some serious investigation before buying that one. If it's a private sale, and the guy just wants to unload a Vette with a solid Carfax, yes, you should buy it. Like TennisFreak said, It's an absolute steal, almost too good to be true.
darrenatsfo (04-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Buy a used Z51 or wait? First time owner...