Sponsored by:

Are you still using run flats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Are you still using run flats?

When upgrading or replacing worn OEM tires, are you still getting run flats or are you replacing them with conventional tires? And if you're replacing with conventionals, do you carry a tire sealant/pump with you?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Yes, went with RFs, and yes, carry compressor, goo and plugs. I travel too much to do otherwise. Whether I can fix the tire on the side of the road is another question. Which is why I stayed with the RFs. I've had too many flats to consider non-RFs for myself.

YMMV.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:21 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

I drive my car everyday as it is my only one (43,000 miles so far on my C7). I have been using run flats since 2005 when I bought my C6. I have gotten many flats over the years and have never been stranded. Run Flats are the best. By the way unless the puncture is very close to the sidewall you can have your run flats repaired.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I took mine off at 7,500 miles. Installed Pilot Super Sport non run-flats. They ride much better and handling is more predictable in my opinion.

The only time a run-flat will help you if you have a blowout or serious damage to a tire while driving. If you pick up a nail, you can usually get to a place to repair it without damaging a tire. Run-flats can be repaired if the patch isn't too close to the sidewall, but most people recommend replacing them if you have a flat.

So... I take my chances.
The following users liked this post:
NinjamanZ51 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I took mine off at 7,500 miles. Installed Pilot Super Sport non run-flats. They ride much better and handling is more predictable in my opinion.

The only time a run-flat will help you if you have a blowout or serious damage to a tire while driving. If you pick up a nail, you can usually get to a place to repair it without damaging a tire. Run-flats can be repaired if the patch isn't too close to the sidewall, but most people recommend replacing them if you have a flat.

So... I take my chances.
Bingo. Same reasoning here. Never had a problem to date.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Nope. Just replaced mine with bridgestone sports. Much nicer ride, half the price
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Been running RF tires for 10, 12 years now...I drive a LOT (600,000 miles in Corvettes)... wouldn't change to conventional tires. JMO.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:41 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
I drive my car everyday as it is my only one (43,000 miles so far on my C7). I have been using run flats since 2005 when I bought my C6. I have gotten many flats over the years and have never been stranded. Run Flats are the best. By the way unless the puncture is very close to the sidewall you can have your run flats repaired.
Originally Posted by owc6
Yes, went with RFs, and yes, carry compressor, goo and plugs. I travel too much to do otherwise. Whether I can fix the tire on the side of the road is another question. Which is why I stayed with the RFs. I've had too many flats to consider non-RFs for myself.

YMMV.
A couple of years ago I had a flat on the Howard Franklin Bridge between St Pete and Tampa on a Saturday morning at about 1am. The average speed is 80 or better.
After dealing with BMW's version of fix a flat and a compressor on my left rear tire, and my butt hung out in traffic. I pretty much promised myself, if I had a choice, I'd never drive with out run flats again.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Hell no! They don't ride as nice as non-run flats. Also, there are many more choices in tire selection. I also carry a compressor, plugs and tire slime.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Texan8205
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced C5 tires with run flats because I don't want to be stranded. Also signed up with AAA so I could get towed if I had a catastrophic failure.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:14 AM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Why wouldn't you keep RFs? Peice of mind far outweighs the "better" ride IMO. Keeping the wife safe is my priority. The handling traits of RFs provide predictable handling near the limit with sharper turn-in due to the stiffer sidewalls. I guess I don't understand all the hate for RFs. Heck, if you don't want them, give 'em to me!
The following 5 users liked this post by vettenevodrvr:
BladeSilver2015 (04-20-2016), Chemdawg99 (04-21-2016), Crossed Flags Fan (04-20-2016), JerryU (04-20-2016), nytrorcr (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I can testify that runflats ride much hasher then regular tires. I'm 53 and have been driving for 47 years and have never been stranded because of a flat tire. I'll take my chances.

Re-copied from Edmunds on the cons of runflats:
Cons:

•No spare: Vehicles equipped with run-flat tires carry no spare, which means they don't have the jack or tools either. In fact, eliminating the spare and reallocating that space to some other purpose (styling, third-row seat, interior room, etc.) is a big reason why carmakers offer run-flats.
•Reduced tread wear: A recent study by J.D. Power found that people were replacing their run-flat tires an average of 6,000 miles sooner than owners using standard tires. Opinions differ on why this is, but one theory is that tiremakers put a soft tread compound on a run-flat tire to counter the hard ride. A side effect of the softer compound is a shorter tread life.
•Blowouts are still possible: If a driver fails to heed or notice the run-flat warning and drives beyond the zero-pressure range or above the speed limitation, the tire can begin to disintegrate, with the same destabilizing effects. Additionally, if the puncture occurred on the sidewall or if the tire hits a large object, the driver would have to call a tow truck. The J.D. Power study found that "customers with vehicles equipped with run-flat tires are nearly twice as likely as those with vehicles equipped with standard tires to have to replace a tire due to a flat or blowout."
•Hard to tell if it is low on air: A side effect of the stiffer construction is that the sidewalls do not bulge if the air pressure is low. This means that it is critical to have a tire-pressure monitoring system and check your tire pressure frequently.
•Harsher ride: The stiff sidewalls that make a run-flat work also result in a harder ride. If the vehicle came with run-flat tires from the factory, the automaker usually tunes the suspension to offset the harsher ride.
•Cost: Run-flat tires are more expensive to replace. A 205/55R16 run-flat tire at a local shop in Santa Monica, California, costs $239. The standard tire equivalent costs about $174, a $65 difference per tire. Also, many run-flat tires cannot be repaired and often need to be replaced in pairs.
•Less on-shelf availability: Because run-flats aren't a big-selling tire, drivers shouldn't expect to roll into just any tire store and buy one. It may be easier to do so in larger cities, but if you're a run-flat user on a road trip and get a flat near a small town, you'll probably have to make a detour to find a suitable tire dealer. Or worse, you may have to stay there overnight, waiting for the tire to be shipped.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I can testify that runflats ride much hasher then regular tires. I'm 53 and have been driving for 47 years and have never been stranded because of a flat tire. I'll take my chances.

Re-copied from Edmunds on the cons of runflats:
Cons:

•No spare: Vehicles equipped with run-flat tires carry no spare, which means they don't have the jack or tools either. In fact, eliminating the spare and reallocating that space to some other purpose (styling, third-row seat, interior room, etc.) is a big reason why carmakers offer run-flats.
•Reduced tread wear: A recent study by J.D. Power found that people were replacing their run-flat tires an average of 6,000 miles sooner than owners using standard tires. Opinions differ on why this is, but one theory is that tiremakers put a soft tread compound on a run-flat tire to counter the hard ride. A side effect of the softer compound is a shorter tread life.
•Blowouts are still possible: If a driver fails to heed or notice the run-flat warning and drives beyond the zero-pressure range or above the speed limitation, the tire can begin to disintegrate, with the same destabilizing effects. Additionally, if the puncture occurred on the sidewall or if the tire hits a large object, the driver would have to call a tow truck. The J.D. Power study found that "customers with vehicles equipped with run-flat tires are nearly twice as likely as those with vehicles equipped with standard tires to have to replace a tire due to a flat or blowout."
•Hard to tell if it is low on air: A side effect of the stiffer construction is that the sidewalls do not bulge if the air pressure is low. This means that it is critical to have a tire-pressure monitoring system and check your tire pressure frequently.
•Harsher ride: The stiff sidewalls that make a run-flat work also result in a harder ride. If the vehicle came with run-flat tires from the factory, the automaker usually tunes the suspension to offset the harsher ride.
•Cost: Run-flat tires are more expensive to replace. A 205/55R16 run-flat tire at a local shop in Santa Monica, California, costs $239. The standard tire equivalent costs about $174, a $65 difference per tire. Also, many run-flat tires cannot be repaired and often need to be replaced in pairs.
•Less on-shelf availability: Because run-flats aren't a big-selling tire, drivers shouldn't expect to roll into just any tire store and buy one. It may be easier to do so in larger cities, but if you're a run-flat user on a road trip and get a flat near a small town, you'll probably have to make a detour to find a suitable tire dealer. Or worse, you may have to stay there overnight, waiting for the tire to be shipped.
When was this Study done, 1960 ??
The following 5 users liked this post by Dif:
Chemdawg99 (04-21-2016), JerryU (04-20-2016), Maxie2U (04-20-2016), NSC5 (04-20-2016), white90conv (04-27-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I know all of the pluses for non-run flats. Cost being the driving factor. Along with supposed comfort, etc. But believe me, No. 1 reason with a few fellow club members is "save a few bucks." Yeah... Until you have a flat in the middle of no where.

I do a lot of trips from Phoenix to Chicago/MN. For those of you who know I-40, parts of Arizona, NM, etc., you do not want to have a flat.

Know advantages to non run flats, but my type of driving, got to have the run flats.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 AM
ergodic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No RFs for me.

Some years ago as the cost of replacing RF tires on my first C6 got close to the $2,000 mark, I decided to take the plunge and try a set of non-RF tires.

I'd never go back.

I now switch off the RFs at the first tire replacement. Usually Michelin Sport Pilots. They ride and handle better (much better), are noticeably less noisy, about 1/2 the cost of the RFs, easier to find with a bigger selection, and they last longer.

One downside is that in a true blowout they may not be as stable -- or so I've been told.

I carry a cell phone, a AAA card and a can of tire inflator. For me, that's just fine. YMMV.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:47 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
"43,000 miles so far". Glad to see someone driving the crap out of this awesome car You are in an elite league.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
When upgrading or replacing worn OEM tires, are you still getting run flats or are you replacing them with conventional tires? And if you're replacing with conventionals, do you carry a tire sealant/pump with you?
The lateral "g" force achievable with the OEM Michelin RF's is remarkable. The only thing better (but with less life) are Michelin cup tires and they are also available as RF!
The Vette has wide sticky tires and are a magnet for nails. Had two in my C6 with the same width tires as my C7. No problem they were fixed with a plug/patch (as long as they are not near the sidewall but that holds for non run flats as well.)
After 2 1/2 years been "lucky," so far no nails!

Get notified of new replies

To Are you still using run flats?

Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I'm 53 and have been driving for 47 years ...

Now wait a minute.......
The following 2 users liked this post by xxaarraa:
jdarc1 (04-27-2016), speedlink (04-22-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 05:46 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Having been stranded a couple of times with flats in very bad places at very bad times over the years, I would not even consider anything but run flats. Particularly true for wife's car. You cannot put a price on safety.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Are you still using run flats?

Nope! Went to BFGoodrich Comps A/S. Quiet and ride smooth.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

Last edited by rkhegler; 04-20-2016 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mecinoid (04-20-2016)

Quick Reply: Are you still using run flats?