Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by nytrorcr
I did explain what this and that was for and to leave everything as it is upon start up I did set the exhaust to Sport, her parents were also their to know how their daughter was getting there. Also with On Star I knew where it was combined with his MATURITY I felt (almost ok). Will his brother get to drive next year to Senior Prom, I'm not sure just yet. He is more like me, a drive it like you stole it guy. I may have to be on the west coast during his prom.
While I won't second guess your decision, do us or those who have doubts a favor: take the next kid out in the car BEFORE you give him the FOB and show him how to drive the car. You may (and this could be a bad idea) show him how quickly it can get away from you, or him. 455 hp is easy, 650 is far too easy for a very, very inexperienced driver. Find the right place, or track to do this training and YOU will sleep maybe a little better. Frankly, it's the least you can do.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That's something he'll remember the rest of his life

Way to go
The following users liked this post:
nytrorcr (05-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:05 AM
mrbeautie
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

His parents have a Mini Cooper, he's working/saving his money for a bigger vehicle and my vette is too small for any action-believe I know.
The Vette has a very large hood.LOL
Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I was a nervous wreck Saturday night, let my 18 yr old Grandson take his date to the prom in my vette..............from 8pm to 12 last night I was on pins and needles and at one time alittle sick feeling. I wanted to give my Grandson something to remember the rest of his life. He's a straight "A" student, very responsible and smart as a whip or so I thought. LOL until he asked if he could borrow the Z06! I thought long and hard. 2 weeks. Well I gave him the FOB and some food for thought.....She came back home to me in perfect condition She was given special parking space by the local LEO's.I slept like a baby after I got her home.
Trust is earned over time, and it sounds like your grandson is worthy of it, and now even a little more.

Way to believe in him.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 PM
ocjim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mick 1
What a great story! That really was very considerate and trusting of you!
You provided him with an invaluable experience of love, trust and responsibility. Nice to see!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM
PMorganRacing
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Front page news!

Great story, thought the front page think so too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...a-z06-to-prom/
Old 05-02-2016, 01:01 PM
jrwood
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Congrats on a great grandson and family. I was given this same chance when I turned 16 and my father trusted me against my Mother's say. Dad letting me drive that car for four years made me the man I am. It kept me close to my father and allowed us to communicate easier. Don't get me wrong there were friends of mine that you couldn't have trusted with the keys but dad and I respected each other and he taught me how to respect people and hard work.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
That was a Disney event
I noticed the same thing, check out the Mickey Ears on the banner behind the girls. That's my kind of Disney event!!

Very Cool Grandpap and I have about 10 years before I get asked for the keys of my Z06.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 PM
River Rat
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What a cool thing to do for your grandson!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Very commendable! I'm glad to hear someone accept that these cars are about memories just as much as they are about winning car shows. You made the right decision for sure.

I offered my 427 to my nephew for his senior prom in a few years. However, unless he learns to drive a stick and can prove that he can fluently do so, that offer may fall on it's face for obvious reasons.

It then occurred to me for the first time...this generation coming up will likely never ever have need to even learn to drive a standard transmission, unless it is purely a father/son bonding experience on a nice car. Simply put, barely any are out there anymore.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 PM
KevinSun
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

My kids have all had the keys, multiple times. My 20 year old son, my 18 year old son, and my 15 year old daughter (learners license with dad in the car).

Again, all good kids and not a scratch on her!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:28 PM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

A coupl e days after I got mine I let my grandson who was a junior in hi school drive it. We took pictures and he was the big stud in school that week.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
My only question is, did he get lucky?
In a vette????????
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 PM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Senior Prom

Originally Posted by AORoads
While I won't second guess your decision, do us or those who have doubts a favor: take the next kid out in the car BEFORE you give him the FOB and show him how to drive the car. You may (and this could be a bad idea) show him how quickly it can get away from you, or him. 455 hp is easy, 650 is far too easy for a very, very inexperienced driver. Find the right place, or track to do this training and YOU will sleep maybe a little better. Frankly, it's the least you can do.
Believe me he has been with me several times while I ......... (was having fun) and yes he drove it a little before going to the prom. He also was given a chance to see with his own foot (while I was there) it's super quick take off ability. Would I let him have it for a date nite NO. would I let him take it to Nashville NO. Yes, he could have gotten hurt... As stated I have a very smart, mature and responsible Grandson. But there are limits to what I will let him do. Also as I stated his younger brother will have to walk to the prom unless he grows up REAL FAST.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Hey that looks familiar!

I would have killed to drive it to prom, but I sure probably wouldn't have let younger me take it...

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
nytrorcr
Pro

Default Senior Prom

Originally Posted by mrbeautie
The Vette has a very large hood.LOL
Sorry meant to say her parents have a Mini Cooper his mother has a Altima, he has a dirt bike, a after school job and working hard to get ahead. Believe me my Z is more than just a car to me, but my Grandson means alot to me. He is more grown-up now than I was a year older than he is now.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Chriskep1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a nervous wreck Saturday night, let my 18 yr old Grandson take his date to the prom in my vette..............from 8pm to 12 last night I was on pins and needles and at one time alittle sick feeling. I wanted to give my Grandson something to remember the rest of his life. He's a straight "A" student, very responsible and smart as a whip or so I thought. LOL until he asked if he could borrow the Z06! I thought long and hard. 2 weeks. Well I gave him the FOB and some food for thought.....She came back home to me in perfect condition She was given special parking space by the local LEO's.I slept like a baby after I got her home.
I let my son take my new vette to his prom. I followed behind with my wife and reposessed it when he got there. It was kind of funny. He rolls up at the curb and just got out with his date. Security was about to pounce for stopping there but I got in like a valet to take it away. Security ended up being very amused when they relized what was going on

Get notified of new replies

To My baby on her way to Senior Prom

Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 AM
bruuuuce
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BRAVO!! Mine goes out Saturday for prom, not my grandson but a very special family friend. I hope he has a lot of fun and makes a memory that he will remember for a long time.

We had our Corvette 101 class last night. We talked about respecting the power, the police and what a ticket would do for him. We talked about how to deal with road kill, pot holes, other drivers and those wonderful parking lot transitions and curbs.

I see a lot of the negative comments and no ways, and I agree for the most part, it takes a special young person to earn this privilege. For me this young man has been around for a long time, has always been mature, always showed respect, understands the privilege and responsibility. It isn't something that every young person could handle, but when they are mature enough, why not let them make a memory. Maybe its because when I was in HS I borrowed a cool car (not a vette) for prom and it was one of those cool memories I still have.
The following users liked this post:
nytrorcr (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:36 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Default Senior Prom

Originally Posted by bruuuuce
BRAVO!! Mine goes out Saturday for prom, not my grandson but a very special family friend. I hope he has a lot of fun and makes a memory that he will remember for a long time.

We had our Corvette 101 class last night. We talked about respecting the power, the police and what a ticket would do for him. We talked about how to deal with road kill, pot holes, other drivers and those wonderful parking lot transitions and curbs.

I see a lot of the negative comments and no ways, and I agree for the most part, it takes a special young person to earn this privilege. For me this young man has been around for a long time, has always been mature, always showed respect, understands the privilege and responsibility. It isn't something that every young person could handle, but when they are mature enough, why not let them make a memory. Maybe its because when I was in HS I borrowed a cool car (not a vette) for prom and it was one of those cool memories I still have.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
codyc24
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats awesome, he will always remember that! I remember when my cousin let me take his 01 Camaro SS. On motor it ran 10.6's and I was too nervous to even get on it. He asked me if she got scared when I put the pedal down, then was disappointed when I told him I barely got it to 3k rpms the entire night hahaha.

Also you do not get lucky in the vette. You find a remote location and use the truck/rear bumper. Its the perfect height for someone to lay on lol

Quick Reply: My baby on her way to Senior Prom