Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil all over the place

Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

OP - do you have the mag shocks? Reason I ask is I do, and my right front mag shock failed and leaked shock oil onto my garage floor, right by the right front wheel (on the inside of it, under the car).

If you don't have mag shocks, then you likely have oil dripping out of the intake (from an overfill - i.e. if you recently had an oil change and they put too much oil in). Or, it can be something as simple as the oil filter not being tight enough. I lot of techs will only hand tighten the oil filters. Or finally, you could have an oil drain plug not tight enough, but that would be fairly surprising.

Oh - almost forgot. If you start up the car and you have some squeaking noise while it's running, the belt tensioner may have taken a dump, and those are fluid filled and sometimes when they fail they can drop an oily liquid on the floor.

That's all I can think of at the moment for possibilities.
The following users liked this post:
Maxpowers (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm still amazed that he was able to check his transmission fluid level without getting under the car(that's what he said), especially since he doesn't know the difference between the oil pan and a valve cover(that he called an oil reservoir).

All the kidding aside, he shouldn't have any oil puddles under the engine with under 11,000 miles. Even my old 1956 or my 64 Corvette doesn't leak oil on the garage floor.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-25-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by air86
How is it confusing? I checked my brake fluid, looked good. Checked my transmission fluid, looked good. Checked Brake fluid, was full. I first pulled the dipstick and it and appeared to be at the top of the measurer. I then removed the cap that says dexos, I call it a reservoir where you place the oil after a change and it didn't look like anything was in there. I have a NON Z and do not have a dry sump oil system.

The fluid was a darkish brown oil texture that smelled just like the engine oil. Call me nuts but I smelled the oil that i swiped from the stick and then smelled the sample from the ground. Smelled the same.

As for the leak location the puddle was located under the engine looked to be the front but not sure. I didn't realize this until after i started it and backed it out of the garage. Now I will say it doesn't look like a gallon of oil spilled out but I don't know how long this may have been leaking.

I am not trying to be rude if i am coming off that way. I just mentioned 6 times in the thread that i do not possess a Z-51 so there is no dry sump. And i appologize if i mislabled the oil tank, i just always called it along with all other things that hold fluid a reservoir
Sorry for assuming it was a dry sump. Never have seen a volume of oil in a wet sump where you put in oil. Oil is at the bottom of the engine not up top.
Since it's a wet sump no matter how hot or cold the engine oil the dip stick reading is about the same so sounds like the engine oil level is safe to drive to the dealer but your car you decide. You also don't have dripping oil from the air filter casued by overfilling.
We're all waiting to see what the dealer found..

Last edited by JerryU; 04-25-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

How is it confusing? I checked my brake fluid, looked good. Checked my transmission fluid, looked good. Checked Brake fluid, was full. I first pulled the dipstick and it and appeared to be at the top of the measurer. I then removed the cap that says dexos, I call it a reservoir where you place the oil after a change and it didn't look like anything was in there. I have a NON Z and do not have a dry sump oil system.

The fluid was a darkish brown oil texture that smelled just like the engine oil. Call me nuts but I smelled the oil that i swiped from the stick and then smelled the sample from the ground. Smelled the same.

As for the leak location the puddle was located under the engine looked to be the front but not sure. I didn't realize this until after i started it and backed it out of the garage. Now I will say it doesn't look like a gallon of oil spilled out but I don't know how long this may have been leaking.

I am not trying to be rude if i am coming off that way. I just mentioned 6 times in the thread that i do not possess a Z-51 so there is no dry sump. And i appologize if i mislabled the oil tank, i just always called it along with all other things that hold fluid a reservoir
Hate to say it guy, but that's a valve cover, not a oil reservoir. A valve cover does not store oil, it just provides a place to get oil into the engine that flows down into the oil pan in a wet sump system. Unfortunately you just do not know what your looking at.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp78
Yes.
How long before you saw the puddle did you have any work done on the car? Especially how long since an oil change. And who did it?
This was fresh no doubt about it. Actually to confirm that when i moved the car back into the garage there was a little spillage on the driveway where it was.

Originally Posted by rcooper
When the dealer gets it on a lift they will be able to ascertain where the oil is coming from. My bet is a bit is seeping out from the drain plug or the filter. As the car did not show an oil low reading to you, you will be fine. A few drops of oil, when left for a while, will spread and appear to be a much larger spill than it really is. It has a way of being absorbed by the concrete and spreading out, sort of like a paper towel touching some fluid, it is being wicked.
I doubt that you have a serious problem, good luck.

It looked like alot for a car with less than 11k, its hard to explain in the sense of amount but I would say less than a quart and that was from sitting there for 4 days. The next time i get it out i will take a picture. The garage does slope down (obviously) so it may look like more as it started to adhere to gravity. I did place a cardboard piece to catch any more excessive dripping until i can get it to dealer weds.

To answer another question I last had the oil changed in November. I never noticed any leaks where the car was because the particular spot it was at was unpaved but i wasn't looking either. The only reason i caught it now was because i backed the car up a few feet to put down some carpet pieces for the wheels I seen it. I didn't completely eliminate it from driving during the winter whenever the weather got nice i would drive it around for an afternoon.

Last edited by air86; 04-26-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Old 04-27-2016, 04:19 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Oil spot.<br ><br >

Oil spot
Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM
craigcurry
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I found that type of oil spill under my wife's SS Camaro. Took it to the dealer and found out it was from a defective oil filter.

Last edited by craigcurry; 04-27-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Update:

They picked up my stingray this afternoon and took it to coughlin. Car even leaked a little on the tow truck. Anyway its safely at the dealer. They said that i should know more tomorrow I will keep you all informed on what they say.

They gave me a Buick Lecrosse to rent while its there This car is f-n nice. So they can take their time with it while i enjoy this one.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
.......... My bet is a bit is seeping out from the drain plug or the filter. ............
Look for a loose oil filter. If the dealer failed to install sufficiently tight, the filter will eventually loosen in a matter of weeks due to thermal cycling and then leak. Had that happen twice with my 98 Suburban using the free Quik Lube dept oil changes. Started to leak after about 3 weeks. You would think those goobers would know how to do it correctly but they didn't.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another possibility. Non GM (knock off) oil filter. Knock off parts are everywhere these days.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did the right thing, have them tow the car. Who knows what the problem might be. Whoever said drive the car to the dealer is stupid.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Look for a loose oil filter. If the dealer failed to install sufficiently tight, the filter will eventually loosen in a matter of weeks due to thermal cycling and then leak. Had that happen twice with my 98 Suburban using the free Quik Lube dept oil changes. Started to leak after about 3 weeks. You would think those goobers would know how to do it correctly but they didn't.
A leaky filter can be an issue from being too loose, HOWEVER it can also be too tight! I'll explain:

My 2014 Owner's Manual page 10-14 says to torque the filter to 22 ft-lbs. Since I do my own oil changes I thought that sounded high. In 50+ years of replacing filters, I never used a torque wrench! With many filter wrenches it's not even possible but one of my filter wrenches fits the bottom of the C7 filter and has a center female socket for a 3/8 drive torque wrench, so an accurate reading is possible. About 1/2 way to 22 ft-lbs I was well past where I would normally install a filter, probably had made ~ 1 1/4 turns from where the gasket touched. If too tight the rubber seal distorts and can leak! I just backed off and used the method defined on many replacement filter boxes (and also the 2016 Vette spec that follows!)

2106 Owners Manual page 227.
This states just what I have always used, quoting:
"Replace the oil filter and tighten it three-quarters to one turn after gasket contact." That can usually be done with two hands.

In prior threads on the subject others have mentioned a similar issue. I expect some "mechanics helpers" who often operate the oil change bay at some dealers (and who may have been flipping burgers the week before) would rightfully read the specs, apply 22 ft-lbs and over-torque the filter! If it didn't leak, the next time someone tried to remove it, they might require the old, "punch a large screw driver thru the filter to get some leverage to remove if it was enlightened excessively !"

For those who just can't understand why some of us change our own oil instead of taking advantage of the FREE ones from GM! That is one reason!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It is rare but sometimes the old gasket will remain on the filter adapter so when the new filter is put on there are two gaskets which will certainly leak.

The only filters I have had difficulty removing were when I did the initial oil change on my 2001 GMC 2500HD and the 2006 2500HD that replaced it. Both were equipped with the 6.6L Duramax diesel and they must have a gorilla who installs those filters in Moraine OH. Harbor Freight has a nice set of filter wrench pliers with long handles and teeth that bite into the filter case. It leaves some ugly marks in the case of the old filter but it makes it very easy to remove overly tight filters.

It is always a good idea to inspect the old filter and the engine mount surface to be sure that nothing was left behind, at least nothing that shouldn't be. Lots of GMC/Chevrolet HD pickup owners have had the dubious pleasure of buying a new circular ring magnet from Allison after they threw away the magnet with the old spin on transmission filter.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:06 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Ok so i got the results today and I may need some advice on what to do.

I was right the fluid on the ground was oil and I was also right on with the estimation, they said it was down about half a quart. Could have driven it in after all but like I said I wasn't sure how accurate the dipstick was and i wasn't sure how long it had been leaking before Sunday . But like some here said it was the oil filter. It wasn't installed properly and was loose. It wasn't a warrantied item and i probably got hosed but i had to pay for the rental because it no warranty work happened which came out to a grand total of $40 35 of which was rental charge. I am just very happy that it wasn't something major like a hose leaking etc.. and she was able to get a bath and covered up in the garage today.

I do have a question do I have any merit to possibly hand the dealership that did the oil change in November the bill and say that it was their technicians fault for not securing my filter the proper way which put my cars motor in jeopardy. Some will probably think im over dramatizing but this pissed me off to know that someone botched a job on my 56k car that could have been much much worse if i didn't catch it before it got too bad. I am just glad in the end it was no harm no foul for me.

Last edited by air86; 04-28-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok so i got the results today and I may need some advice on what to do.

I was right the fluid on the ground was oil and I was also right on with the estimation, they said it was down about half a quart. Could have driven it in after all but like I said I wasn't sure how accurate the dipstick was and i wasn't sure how long it had been leaking before Sunday . But like some here said it was the oil filter. It wasn't installed properly and was loose. It wasn't a warrantied item and i probably got hosed but i had to pay for the rental because it no warranty work happened which came out to a grand total of $40 35 of which was rental charge. I am just very happy that it wasn't something major like a hose leaking etc.. and she was able to get a bath and covered up in the garage today.

I do have a question do I have any merit to possibly hand the dealership that did the oil change in November the bill and say that it was their technicians fault for not securing my filter the proper way which put my cars motor in jeopardy. Some will probably think im over dramatizing but this pissed me off to know that someone botched a job on my 56k car that could have been much much worse if i didn't catch it before it got too bad. I am just glad in the end it was no harm no foul for me.
Had you been able to bring it back to the dealer who did the oil, yes you had recourse. However worth a try, and they should know the filter wasn't tight (according to the person who changed it) but for $40 would not spend a lot of effort!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-28-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:11 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Had you been able to bring it back to the dealer who did the oil, yes you had recourse. However worth a try, and they should know the filter wasn't tight (according to the person who changed it) but for $40 would not spend a lot of effort!
Probably not worth the effort/aggravation for $40, but I'd let the dealer know the problem encountered. They should know the tech screwed up...

Get notified of new replies

To Oil all over the place

Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

I would definitely let them know that happened, or it will happen again. I wouldn't sweat the $40 personally, no harm no foul there.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:58 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

So I open up the oil reservoir and boom damn thing looks empty...
Now that you have the vehicle back, have you taken off the oil cap and looked inside the "oil reservoir"? Is it now "full"? I certainly hope not!
The following users liked this post:
air86 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Now that you have the vehicle back, have you taken off the oil cap and looked inside the "oil reservoir"? Is it now "full"? I certainly hope not!
Great, will never live that down. I had a moment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil all over the place