Sponsored by:

Oil all over the place

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:18 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Oil all over the place

So i went to move the car out from the garage this afternoon to put carpet where the tires will be and what do eyes show me, a damn puddle of what looks like engine oil on the ground.

I checked all the other fluids and all seem to be at capacity. So I open up the oil reservoir and boom damn thing looks empty. Pulled the stick and am still getting a good reading. I pulled the car back and never got any warning chimes or nothing telling me to check fluid level. I would assume if that stuff gets low it will warn you in cab to check.

So the car is self determined to be un driveable. I called Roadside assistance and they told me they were unable to pick it up tonight because the drivers don't want the liability of leaving it at an unsecured parking lot at coughlin over night so it will be a few days before it can be packaged and sent off.

I just don't understand what could cause a practically new car with less than 11k on the odometer to lose oil unless the service person didn't secure the oil drain bolt.

I also hope I haven't damaged the engine because this is the first time i noticed it but it was sitting on a non paved surface for a while until i could move it.

Throughout the winter i went over periodically started it and drove it around here and there to keep the fluids moving through it. I am definately bummed now.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:47 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by air86
I checked all the other fluids and all seem to be at capacity. So I open up the oil reservoir and boom damn thing looks empty. Pulled the stick and am still getting a good reading. I pulled the car back and never got any warning chimes or nothing telling me to check fluid level. I would assume if that stuff gets low it will warn you in cab to check.
Is this a Z51 or Z06 with the dry sump? If so you should get a very low reading on the stick after it has been sitting for a long time because some oil will drain back to the normally dry sump. I don't believe the dry sump model has any sort of low oil level sensor. You have to follow the manual procedure (engine at operating temperature and then check between 5 to 10 minutes after engine shutoff).

The bigger problem is dealers who overfill these dry sump engines, especially if both drain plugs weren't pulled. Then the extra oil ends up where it shouldn't. I was very happy to find a smaller local dealer with a service tech who is a Corvette fanatic and I was invited to watch the initial 500 mile change for my 2016 Z06.

Last edited by NSC5; 04-24-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

So i went to move the car out from the garage this afternoon to put carpet where the tires will be and what do eyes show me, a damn puddle of what looks like engine oil on the ground.

So the car is self determined to be un driveable. I called Roadside assistance and they told me they were unable to pick it up tonight because the drivers don't want the liability of leaving it at an unsecured parking lot at coughlin over night so it will be a few days before it can be packaged and sent off.

I just don't understand what could cause a practically new car with less than 11k on the odometer to lose oil unless the service person didn't secure the oil drain bolt.

I also hope I haven't damaged the engine because this is the first time i noticed it but it was sitting on a non paved surface for a while until i could move it.

Throughout the winter i went over periodically started it and drove it around here and there to keep the fluids moving through it. I am definately bummed now.
the tank itself could be leaking. The Dealer will find it.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with finding the cause and getting the car repaired. Hope it is nothing major.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Based on the OP's description (So I open up the oil reservoir and boom damn thing looks empty), it sounds like he has a dry sump. Therefore, I'm betting the oil was overfilled and burped into the air intake.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

No. My appologies i didn't realize that something like this was a common thing with the z-51 so i didn't specify my model. Its non Z-51 2LT so it doesn't have the dry sump system. The biggest reason for my concern is 2 simple facts. What is confusing me is like i said the dip still reads pretty full but pulling off the fill cap it looks empty as i can see inside a ways

1. I can't get underneath it to try and verify where the leak is originating from. I did notice some oil splashes on top of the engine cover and was wondering where it came from. Everything looks dry looking down into the engine bay. I am also hoping it was an overfill job and because the temp is warming up cause the spillage and nothing too major.

2. I just drove this car 30 miles the other day and no warning or nothing saying anything requires servicing.

I did do some research after the fact just because i wanted to see why a car with less than 11k is giving a problem a 15 year old car would give and found the issue with the air box but was all for z-51 cars.

Last edited by air86; 04-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

I'm very confident your engine is fine since the oil stick is reading oil in the crankcase and you didn't get a low engine oil alarm/message.

I understand how upsetting this situation can be but understand the dealer will find the problem which is most likely the dry sump.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:05 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

OK, You won't see oil looking down the fill cap with a wet sump engine. If the stick indicates the proper level then your oil level is fine and I believe the wet sump also has a low level warning.

Time for a dealer visit to let them discover the source.

Last edited by NSC5; 04-24-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Those statements in red are confusing! The only place you could look that you would call an oil reservoir is in a dry sump tank (so you must have a dry sump.) That should look empty as you're looking at baffles!
Second if you checked the dip stick with the car shut off for any length of time it would read low. I checked mine (for fun) after it had sat for several days and the level was below the end of the dip stick, probably 5+ quarts low!! That is normal since oil flows back to the pan (probably thru the scavenge pump gears.) That is why the oil checking instructions say check after a maximum of 10 minutes.
If you did check the level per the manual and the oil was at the correct level you're fine!

As Zymurgy posted, you may have oil dripping from the air cleaner if the car being overfilled! If the dealer did the oil change they will fix at their cost (new filter and clean the air intake duct.)
If it wasn't from overfilling there are hoses going to and from the dry sump tank to the engine. It's possible a fitting is leaking or as you note one of the oil pan plugs is loose. Either way, if you are checking the level properly by the manual the car is fine!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-25-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Those statements in red are conflicting! The only place you could look that you would call an oil reservoir is in a dry sump tank. That should look empty!
Second if you checked the dip stick with the car shut off for any length of time it would read low. I checked mine (for fun) after it had sat for several days and the level was below the end of the dip stick, probably 5+ quarts low!! That is normal since oil flows back to the pan (probably thru the scavenge pump gears.) That is why the oil checking instructions say check after a maximum of 10 minutes.
If you did check per the manual and the oil was at the correct level you're fine!

As Zymurgy posted, you probably have oil dripping from the air cleaner from the car being overfilled! If the dealer did the oil change they will fix at their cost (new filter and clean the air intake duct.)
He doesn't have a dry sump.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

You won't see oil looking into the cap, if the dipstick says full, then you are ok on engine oil level.

If you can get under it (with a lift or jackstands), I would check the oil-filter/drain plug area, that is most likely where a leak would be.

Was the leak at the front or the back area of the car? It could be transmission fluid if it is near the back.

Last edited by only9balls; 04-25-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:14 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerryU
Those statements in red are confusing! The only place you could look that you would call an oil reservoir is in a dry sump tank (so you must have a dry sump.) That should look empty as you're looking at baffles!
If you did check the level per the manual and the oil was at the correct level you're fine!

As Zymurgy posted, you may have oil dripping from the air cleaner if the car being overfilled! If the dealer did the oil change they will fix at their cost (new filter and clean the air intake duct.)
If it wasn't from overfilling there are hoses going to and from the dry sump tank to the engine. It's possible a fitting is leaking or as you note one of the oil pan plugs is loose. Either way, if you are checking the level properly by the manual the car is fine!
How is it confusing? I checked my brake fluid, looked good. Checked my transmission fluid, looked good. Checked Brake fluid, was full. I first pulled the dipstick and it and appeared to be at the top of the measurer. I then removed the cap that says dexos, I call it a reservoir where you place the oil after a change and it didn't look like anything was in there. I have a NON Z and do not have a dry sump oil system.

The fluid was a darkish brown oil texture that smelled just like the engine oil. Call me nuts but I smelled the oil that i swiped from the stick and then smelled the sample from the ground. Smelled the same.

As for the leak location the puddle was located under the engine looked to be the front but not sure. I didn't realize this until after i started it and backed it out of the garage. Now I will say it doesn't look like a gallon of oil spilled out but I don't know how long this may have been leaking.

I am not trying to be rude if i am coming off that way. I just mentioned 6 times in the thread that i do not possess a Z-51 so there is no dry sump. And i appologize if i mislabled the oil tank, i just always called it along with all other things that hold fluid a reservoir

Last edited by air86; 04-25-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

How is it confusing? I checked my brake fluid, looked good. Checked my transmission fluid, looked good. Checked Brake fluid, was full. I first pulled the dipstick and it and appeared to be at the top of the measurer. I then removed the cap that says dexos, I call it a reservoir where you place the oil after a change and it didn't look like anything was in there. I have a NON Z and do not have a dry sump oil system.

The fluid was a darkish brown oil texture that smelled just like the engine oil. Call me nuts but I smelled the oil that i swiped from the stick and then smelled the sample from the ground. Smelled the same.

As for the leak location the puddle was located under the engine looked to be the front but not sure. I didn't realize this until after i started it and backed it out of the garage. Now I will say it doesn't look like a gallon of oil spilled out but I don't know how long this may have been leaking.

I am not trying to be rude if i am coming off that way. I just mentioned 6 times in the thread that i do not possess a Z-51 so there is no dry sump. And i appologize if i mislabled the oil tank, i just always called it along with all other things that hold fluid a reservoir
Sounds like you identified the oil type pretty well, I would check the filter/drain-plugs on the oil pan.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

When the dealer gets it on a lift they will be able to ascertain where the oil is coming from. My bet is a bit is seeping out from the drain plug or the filter. As the car did not show an oil low reading to you, you will be fine. A few drops of oil, when left for a while, will spread and appear to be a much larger spill than it really is. It has a way of being absorbed by the concrete and spreading out, sort of like a paper towel touching some fluid, it is being wicked.
I doubt that you have a serious problem, good luck.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rcooper
When the dealer gets it on a lift they will be able to ascertain where the oil is coming from. My bet is a bit is seeping out from the drain plug or the filter. As the car did not show an oil low reading to you, you will be fine. A few drops of oil, when left for a while, will spread and appear to be a much larger spill than it really is. It has a way of being absorbed by the concrete and spreading out, sort of like a paper towel touching some fluid, it is being wicked.
I doubt that you have a serious problem, good luck.
Yes.
How long before you saw the puddle did you have any work done on the car? Especially how long since an oil change. And who did it?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I would not be afraid to drive the car. Start the engine and look under for oil leaking on the ground, then drive it to the dealer. As long as you have oil pressure the engine is fine. Probably something simple.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:00 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^^^

Get notified of new replies

To Oil all over the place

Old 04-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

You know in the forum few read down the posts so you have to answer what type of engine it is several times. We're all experts and jump to our opinions!! Just curious...you sure its from the vette? Anything else park there? How about a mower or tractor? You doing work around there?

If all the fluids read full they are full.

Drive it over and let them check it out.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:20 AM
markmott
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Based on the OP's description (So I open up the oil reservoir and boom damn thing looks empty), it sounds like he has a dry sump. Therefore, I'm betting the oil was overfilled and burped into the air intake.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

OP, if you remove the oil cap you shouldn't be able to see any oil. If you do it's got way to much. That is basically an oil tube leading to the oil pan where the oil would be. As has been asked did you recently have the oil changed? If so, the tech could have spilled oil from the oil filter somewhere under there, and it eventually dripped onto the ground. Hope it's nothing more serious. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil all over the place