Sponsored by:

1st Gear grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:14 AM
TI837
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gear grinding noise

For the past few days I've been getting a slight grinding noise mostly in 1st gear. I only occurs when i accelerate from a complete stop and happens probably 25% of the time. I've also had a 1 time occurrence when i was in 4th gear and i was going below 25 mph and when i accelerated I heard the grinding sound. I have a 2014 z51 with about 10,000 miles on it. I posted a video of it on youtube. Thanks for all your help

Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 AM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TI837
For the past few days I've been getting a slight grinding noise mostly in 1st gear. I only occurs when i accelerate from a complete stop and happens probably 25% of the time. I've also had a 1 time occurrence when i was in 4th gear and i was going below 25 mph and when i accelerated I heard the grinding sound. I have a 2014 z51 with about 10,000 miles on it. I posted a video of it on youtube. Thanks for all your help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9ReDVkC4k
Do you have a manual? It sounds like too much clutch or too little gas.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9ReDVkC4k
Hi TI837,

Apologies for this grinding noise concern you’re experiencing with your Corvette. I see that you are seeking advice from the forum, however, feel free to send us a private message if you would like to visit your dealership for an appointment. We would be more than willing to help facilitate that process. Please be sure to include your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and preferred dealership in your message if you would like our assistance.

Best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

I have the same issue on mine, I have been at the dealership about 5 times for the same problem.
I was also contacted by the Chevrolet customer service above, and they said the car is working as designed.
I never thought an 80k + car is designed to make that kind of noises. <br > <br > <br >

Last edited by Gio's C7; 04-28-2016 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VistaVette (03-05-2020)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:02 AM
TI837
Heel & Toe

Wow thats terrible. The sound is getting worse and worse almost every single day. Its actually very embarrassing and the only way for me to avoid the grinding noise is if i give it a lot of gas which probably will cause me to burn out the clutch a lot quicker. ( heres another video from yesterday, you can notice the sound it ALOT worse)

Old 04-29-2016, 06:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Wow thats terrible. The sound is getting worse and worse almost every single day. Its actually very embarrassing and the only way for me to avoid the grinding noise is if i give it a lot of gas which probably will cause me to burn out the clutch a lot quicker. ( heres another video from yesterday, you can notice the sound it ALOT worse)

https://youtu.be/yoA0k5upDpo
Hmm, doesn't sound like a trans syncro. Noticed the other poster who mentioned having a problem, on the their work sheet it mentioned it was a differential noise but working as designed!
Perhaps more like a clutch pack in a Posi or if you have a Z51 one of the eLSD clutch packs? (What do you have the base car or a Z51/Z06?)

One other possibility is the dual mass flywheel which, early on, several folks reported one of the springs coming loose.

A flywheel problem sound would come from the front as it's attached to the engine, where all gear or clutch pack noise would come from the rear. Sounds like it is getting worse, which is the best thing for a dealer to diagnose!

Just some thoughts, thanks for the video's.

Dual Mass Flywheel (Generic Pic not C7)

Last edited by JerryU; 04-29-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:05 PM
TI837
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply. I have a Z51. I'm bringing the car to the dealer on Monday so I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited by TI837; 04-29-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:22 PM
TI837
Heel & Toe

Holy crap this is frustrating. I just drove the car around today and the noise is completely gone plus on top of that the clutch feels normal again. When I was having that noise issue the clutch traveled a lot from the time is started to grab the gear until when it actually did engage. Do you guys think the dealer is even going to take a look even if I can't replicate the noise?
Old 04-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Well you have the videos, there is definitely something wrong. Check your clutch fluid for quantity and how clean it looks. At around 5,000 miles my clutch would like chatter on a hard acceleration, I performed the ranger method clutch fluid change and the chattering went away.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Sounds like the clutch isn't going in all the way.Hunt down another C7 manual.You get in his and have him get in yours.See what happens.See how his does and you'll get the feedback from him.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Well you have the videos, there is definitely something wrong. Check your clutch fluid for quantity and how clean it looks. At around 5,000 miles my clutch would like chatter on a hard acceleration, I performed the ranger method clutch fluid change and the chattering went away.
I have used the Ranger method each year, will do it again in October, which will be year 3.
For the OP, below is a PDF showing what my clutch fluid looked like on the first replacement and progressively what it looked like after 8 empty/refill with 30 pumps each. That is 240 clutch activations!
The 2014 Owners Manual says change clutch fluid every 2 years. Assume they mean bleed the system. Unfortunately to gain access to the bleed screw the metal bottom tunnel cover, and exhaust pipe and a catalytic converter have to be removed! I figure the Ranger method every year should be similar (if you're not drag racing.) Worked for my C6.
http://netwelding.com/Clutch_Fluid.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 04-29-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:29 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Why not have a passenger hold the camera showing your hands and legs, so we can see what you are doing at the time of the grinding? I don't know if you are moving the shift lever, pushing in the clutch, letting it out, or what?

Michael
The following users liked this post:
TI837 (04-30-2016)
Old 07-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi TI837,

Apologies for this grinding noise concern you’re experiencing with your Corvette. I see that you are seeking advice from the forum, however, feel free to send us a private message if you would like to visit your dealership for an appointment. We would be more than willing to help facilitate that process. Please be sure to include your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and preferred dealership in your message if you would like our assistance.

Best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Julie. I own a 2015 Z06 and I am experiencing the same issue. I live in Scarsdale NY and I made an appointment and brought my car to Curry Chevrolet in Scarsdale on Monday July 22nd for service. The technician drove my car that day and he believed it was the pilot bearing causing the issue. The service person handling my issue called me that day and said that they needed to drop the transmission to truly diagnose the problem. He said there were 4 cars ahead of mine for this type of service and if I wanted to take the car and bring it back I could but no guarantee other cars won’t get in the slot before me. Considering this I decided to leave the car to ensure it would be serviced. Today is July 31st and my car still has not been serviced. It has been sitting there for almost two weeks and I’ve been told other cars are being serviced before mine. I complained to the service person and said if it doesn’t get serviced I will bring it somewhere else... he didn’t care at all and almost seemed happy for me to bring it somewhere. I’d prefer to have this done properly at Curry and not have to go through this horrible experience potentially at another dealer. Can you please help me here? I find it extremely unprofessional and horrible that my $90k corvette is just sitting at a dealer for weeks not being serviced. I sure hope the miles on it haven’t changed. This horrible customer service and would appreciate if you can assist me.

Thank you,

Rich Fazio
Old 07-31-2019, 02:51 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

aaaand another 3 year old thread resurrected from the dead.....
Old 07-31-2019, 02:52 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Just truing to to get in touch w the Chevy service rep that’s all.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:40 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I heard you were starting a petition.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Mackabee
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by L8ter
I heard you were starting a petition.
Hey guys, new member here. I have a 2017 base Stingray with manual transmission doing the exact same noise as the video in this thread. It’s still under warranty but the first dealership I took it to said a clutch wouldn’t be covered under warranty and wouldn’t even look at the issue without me paying a 220$ diagnostic fee. Can anybody help or advise me please? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Gear grinding noise

Quick Reply: 1st Gear grinding noise