Sponsored by:

How can Carfax be so "off"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:12 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Default How can Carfax be so "off"?

So I traded my 2016 Stingray in on a Z06 and looking at the Carfax history on my trade in I see two owners and that I didn't purchase the car until about a month after I actually did. Now, I ordered this car and picked it up as soon as it came in. It shows that I bought it a month later and then after an oil change shows the car back up for sale and then a new owner.... I have had this car the whole time... Not a big deal but I just find it odd.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:23 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
So I traded my 2016 Stingray in on a Z06 and looking at the Carfax history on my trade in I see two owners and that I didn't purchase the car until about a month after I actually did. Now, I ordered this car and picked it up as soon as it came in. It shows that I bought it a month later and then after an oil change shows the car back up for sale and then a new owner.... I have had this car the whole time... Not a big deal but I just find it odd.
Carfax is a joke ..won't bore you with my experience...but when I was trading a car couple of years ago,,dealer said carfax says you were in a wreck ....What the heck ...my wife just touched the bumper of another car ....no damage at all to my car ....none ! But because the other cars dealer bodyshop wrote up some outlandish report.. I was forced to get the police report ..send it to carfax to have them remove the wrongful info that they had on file ..... lesson learned ...glad I called the police to do a report ...and it is always a good idea to check carfax before your decide to sell or trade your car,because they do not check the of the info they receive
Old 04-28-2016, 06:24 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Actually it can be a big deal. Carfax is long overdue for being reigned in and held to reasonable accuracy standards along with a practical path for owners to challenge and have false information corrected. It took a long time for the consumer credit rating agencies to have some oversight applied and it will likely take even longer for Carfax.

I remember reading a newspaper story 2 years ago about a car owner that went through hell trying to clean up his car record after an independent service shop entered a VIN incorrectly for another car making it appear that his car had been in a severe collision and had far more miles on it.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:30 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
Carfax is a joke ..won't bore you with my experience...but when I was trading a car couple of years ago,,dealer said carfax says you were in a wreck ....What the heck ...my wife just touched the bumper of another car ....no damage at all to my car ....none ! But because the other cars dealer bodyshop wrote up some outlandish report.. I was forced to get the police report ..send it to carfax to have them remove the wrongful info that they had on file ..... lesson learned ...glad I called the police to do a report ...and it is always a good idea to check carfax before your decide to sell or trade your car,because they do not check the of the info they receive

CarFax can be several months behind. You can buy a car with a clean CarFax then 6 months later it shows as being damaged. Some people just don't realize how wrong they can be.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7-Beast

CarFax can be several months behind. You can buy a car with a clean CarFax then 6 months later it shows as being damaged. Some people just don't realize how wrong they can be.
Carfax can really screw you ! ! Until some politician takes them to task nothing will change .... Carfax made me jump through hoops ..plus I had to pay for the police report " no big deal " but that entire circus ticked me off ... they investigate nothing ...!!!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

My 2014 jeep SRT was in a nasty two car wreck about 18 months ago. Non licensed, uninsured other driver was at fault. $42,000 to fix her up. Police report. My insurance had to do the claim since the other driver had no insurance. Excellent repair work by the body shop...real stand up place.

CLEAR CARFAX still!!!! Shows NO accidents. Nothing. I've checked twice. Once at 6 months. Then just a couple weeks ago.

I guess that'll be nice when I trade her in for the Jeep version of the Hellcat next year.

So yea....CARFAX is meh.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Folks don't realize that they have legal recourse against businesses that report false information to credit bureaus and such like Carfax. When they undertake to report information they have a duty of care to make sure the information is accurate. I had a dispute with ABC Financial over a gym termination where the gym closed and they billed me an extra month. I disputed it on my Amex and they reversed the charge. ABC turned into collection for $50 and it flagged on my credit report. I went nuts. Researched ABC and the collection agency. Turned out the collection agency wasn't licensed to do business in NC. When I threatened to report them they agreed to remove the collection note and show the account as paid.
Different story but same approach. Went to Buffett concert on Saturday and prepaid the $30 premier parking. When we got to the lot the LEO said the lot was full and despite my prepaid pass we had to find parking elsewhere which turned our to be a half mile further out. So I attempted resolution with ticketmaster. There response as prepaid parking was first come first serve. So I dispute with Amex and it seems they have an agreement with Ticketmsster not to accept disputes. I am an attorney. Tomorrow or Monday I will file suit against Live Nation and Ticketmastet in small claims court. I can walk to the courthouse from my office.
Sorry to hijack this thread. Go back to your regulat scheduled programming.
The following users liked this post:
rogergcam (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
My 2014 jeep SRT was in a nasty two car wreck about 18 months ago. Non licensed, uninsured other driver was at fault. $42,000 to fix her up. Police report. My insurance had to do the claim since the other driver had no insurance. Excellent repair work by the body shop...real stand up place.

CLEAR CARFAX still!!!! Shows NO accidents. Nothing. I've checked twice. Once at 6 months. Then just a couple weeks ago.

I guess that'll be nice when I trade her in for the Jeep version of the Hellcat next year.

So yea....CARFAX is meh.
I would sell that 2014 Jeep SRT "Yesterday". If you get a dirty CARFAX Report your Jeep will take a BIG hit in value.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:29 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
I would sell that 2014 Jeep SRT "Yesterday". If you get a dirty CARFAX Report your Jeep will take a BIG hit in value.
I agree. Unless you plan to keep it forever, dump it now or eventually it will show in CarFax. When it shows, you will take a large bath on that car when you sell.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

Been almost 2 years. If it's not in CARFAX now I don't think it'll ever be.

Who reports TO CARFAX anyway? Insurance? Body shops? Police reports?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
Been almost 2 years. If it's not in CARFAX now I don't think it'll ever be.

Who reports TO CARFAX anyway? Insurance? Body shops? Police reports?
The simple answer is YES.

The long one is any of those can and do, but not always on every accident.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I went to trade in our 2015 FIAT 500 after 11 months of garage kept ownership a couple months ago. Salesperson walked up and said "I thought you said your trade has never been in an accident? Don't worry, well take it anyway." Yea, right for $6,000 less. I got ahold of Carfax and it took them about 2 weeks to remove the bogus accident repair from the report.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I went to trade in our 2015 FIAT 500 after 11 months of garage kept ownership a couple months ago. Salesperson walked up and said "I thought you said your trade has never been in an accident? Don't worry, well take it anyway." Yea, right for $6,000 less. I got ahold of Carfax and it took them about 2 weeks to remove the bogus accident repair from the report.
when I went through that same ordeal,upon getting the police report..the officer told me they go through this all the time with carfax ..so we are not alone..
Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

I think the worst part of Carfax is that it doesn't list what the "Accident" was. A bumper tap or a front clip replacement.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe I can shed some light. Retired LEO and work for a auto dealership now. Car fax get reports from police departments and Insurance companies. If the officer puts in the accident report, minor damage or major damage, that's what Car fax reports. If the insurance adjuster puts, frame damage, paint repair, or whatever, that's what car fax reports. The only time a body shop would report anything to Car fax is if Car fax request information because a police report or insurance company did not list damages. If you wreck your car, don't call police or report it and not file a claim under anyone's insurance, there will be NO CAR FAX REPORT showing any accidents. This is why, a good auto dealership have sales reps and used managers that know what to look for and paint meters that can't be fooled! I have seen dirty car faxes on clean cars, and cars with body damage repairs and clean car faxes... So a car fax is a consumer guide line, not anything else. Any good dealership or body shop can look over a car, and tell if it has been in an accident or had repairs done to it. One more thing, if you go to trade in your car, and the salesman tells you that you car has been in an accident based on car fax (and you know it has not) tell him to show you, where was the damage, show me! If it has not been in an accident, he knows it, or at least whoever appraised your car knows it. Unless, the dealership is crappy and does not have any knowledgeable reps that know what there doing!

Last edited by iridelow; 04-29-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:37 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Carfax is a business, their first priority is to make money, it doesn't matter if the information they sell is current, or correct, as long as they make money.
Their second priority is not to do anything that will conflict with their first priority.
"Business 101"

Last edited by L8ter; 04-29-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ea327
I think the worst part of Carfax is that it doesn't list what the "Accident" was. A bumper tap or a front clip replacement.
Reports I have seen say "Minor Accident Damage" or "Major Accident Damage". I'm not sure what the criteria is for "Minor" or "Major"

If you have your car fixed outside of your insurance or dealer most times the shop won't report it. My son backed his brand new car into a poll. It was 1500 to have a buddy who owns a shop fix it. I paid out of pocket since the 16 year old with an accident would KILL me on insurance. After a year it is still not showing on a CarFax.

Get notified of new replies

To How can Carfax be so "off"?

Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

My experience is police reports. DHL hit my Silverado tail gate and left. Had them on surveillance, got a police report. Took truck to a friend for repair. Went to trade and had CarFax report of totaled rear end. It was just a dent in the tailgate.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Carfax will list "frame damage" as well in the description.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

$4600 in damage to my C6 was never reported. Carfax is totally useless.
Should be called Carcrap.

Quick Reply: How can Carfax be so "off"?