About when to get a new battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default About when to get a new battery

My C7 is getting long in the tooth *2 and a half years old" 13K miles

Should I be thinking of a new battery any time soon. Have been stuck in the past when my C6 battery went dead.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:04 PM
ZP2016
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes

Should I be thinking of a new battery any time soon. Have been stuck in the past when my C6 battery went dead.

Wait until it dies, and go to Walmart and get replacement. They have a 3 year warranty. On my C5 because it sat for 6-7 months every year it was almost dead every year. I would take it back and they would give me a new one with a new 3 year warranty. I probably got 8-10 batteries from them all under warranty. So I always had a new or near new battery in it. BTW I questioned their policy and the manager told me as long as it died before the 3 years Id get a new one. No receipt needed. Stupid policy but as long as they offered it I would recommend it.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Unless you do a lot of short trips (no ability to fully recharge the battery), I'd suggest waiting, too. BTW, how long did your C6 batt. last and did you use a battery "maintainer"?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

After many cars and years (both more than I'd like to admit ), I have a rule of thumb that has never let me down (as long as you take steps to ensure that you trickle charge batteries that are not used over the winter, etc.): I replace the battery in any of our cars every 4 years.

Will most batteries last longer? Yes (unless a cell goes bad, etc.)

Is 4 years starting to fall close to the timing when you 'are working on borrowed time? Yes

If you wait until it dies, will it be most at a most inconvenient location and/or time? Absolutely Yes

Is it worth the few extra dollars I might save to stretch it until it dies on me vs. not having to worry about it? No

That's my .02, which is probably .05 more than it's worth.
The following users liked this post:
Zircon (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
After many cars and years (both more than I'd like to admit ), I have a rule of thumb that has never let me down (as long as you take steps to ensure that you trickle charge batteries that are not used over the winter, etc.): I replace the battery in any of our cars every 4 years.

Will most batteries last longer? Yes (unless a cell goes bad, etc.)

Is 4 years starting to fall close to the timing when you 'are working on borrowed time? Yes

If you wait until it dies, will it be most at a most inconvenient location and/or time? Absolutely Yes

Is it worth the few extra dollars I might save to stretch it until it dies on me vs. not having to worry about it? No

That's my .02, which is probably .05 more than it's worth.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

My 14 C7 vert is pushing 2 years and three months and 40K miles. My battery is working just fine. Why should I think about replacing it. 13,000 miles and a new battery?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I agree that a battery over four years old is pushing the limit. I bough a ACDelco professional grade battery with a 50 month free replacement warranty and got a new one at over three years old, no questions asked. Just told them it was not maintaining 12 plus volts.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have had so many Delco batteries fail over the years that once the 3 year new cars warranty expires I go buy a Sears Die Hard battery and then I replace it every 3 years too. I have been burned too many times in years past in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery so I try to eliminate that from happening now. Cheap insurance IMO in this Texas heat/cold.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:57 PM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd wait til it fails to start that one cold morning or when it is noticeably struggling to power the starter motor.

Walmart is pretty good place to get a replacement warranty wise as they wont try to hassle you, but generally batteries with better warranties cost more and have better cells
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I would only get a factory stock Delco replacement battery for my factory stock C7.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:28 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

An AC Delco battery will always warn you when it's time to get a replacement. Ignore the warnings at your peril. My C6 battery lasted 5 years.

My C7 battery starts promptly every time I start the car. I'm at 26,000 miles. When it fails to start promptly it'll be time for a new battery.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I would only get a factory stock Delco replacement battery for my factory stock C7.
Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
An AC Delco battery will always warn you when it's time to get a replacement. Ignore the warnings at your peril. My C6 battery lasted 5 years.

My C7 battery starts promptly every time I start the car. I'm at 26,000 miles. When it fails to start promptly it'll be time for a new battery.
growing up I Used to get a Die Hard, or some other Popular Brand, but none of them ever lasted very long with some being DOA.
Old technology, Bad Luck ? maybe.
In 1996 I started buying new cars/trucks.
With 6 new vehicles in the last 20 years, all the Delco OEM batteries never had a problem.
Replaced my 2007 GM truck OEM Delco battery after 5 years with a Delco OEM battery just to be on the safe side.
Always used a Battery Tender Plus on my new 2009 C6 OEM Delco battery and it was still going strong after 7 years when traded it in October 2015.
When it's time, my C7 it will get a Delco OEM replacement.
YMMV and just my experience for what it's worth
Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Battery life is so variable based upon operating conditions that there really is no hard and fast replacement rule based upon time. Someone who rarely drives their C7, takes mostly short trips, and never uses a battery tender could kill the battery within a year since regular batteries don't respond well to being deeply discharged. Another owner who drives regularly for longer trips could easily get 6 years or more out of a battery. I replaced the 7 year old pair of batteries in my GMC 2500HD diesel pickup last year and although they still operated OK I decided it was time before heading out for a multiple day trip; I think the battery in my diesel powered Deere utility tractor was 8 years old when it showed signs of imminent demise.

Sometimes batteries fail without warning due to a shorted or open cell and this happened to me with a two year old battery a few years ago. I left for work and the car started normally for the 25 mile drive and when I decided to leave the office a couple of hours later the battery was absolutely dead.

My 2016 Z06 goes on a battery tender if it likely won't be driven for 7 or more days.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Sometimes batteries fail without warning due to a shorted or open cell and this happened to me with a two year old battery a few years ago. I left for work and the car started normally for the 25 mile drive and when I decided to leave the office a couple of hours later the battery was absolutely dead.
Unless a battery is abused (regularly running it below 70% charge - which is why tenders are so important for those who don't drive their C7's frequently), it will last 7-8 years before capacity falloff is a noticeable problem - if it fails before then it is due to an internal failure, which happens suddenly and without warning.
I have had batteries last as little as 14 months and as much as 8 years between failures - there is no hard and fast rule for a replacement schedule.
On my boats we replace all of the batteries (5 on my large boat, 2 on the small boat) every 3 years, but on the cars I take the position I expect them to last for as long as I plan to own the car.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Batteries should last much longer than 2.5 years. My wife's 2009 Cobalt still has he original Delco battery in it and it is going strong.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes

I'm getting one for my September 2013 built C7 at 3 years (before this winter.) In my case been reading a low voltage (properly checked) since it was new. Dealer checked and said it was OK but still consistently reads 12.4 volts after the surface charge is gone (~12 to 24 hours after car is off.)
Not so easy to get the proper battery for the C7!

The C7 battery has a large power board and multiple wires that attaches to the positive terminal. That terminal must be recessed so it fits properly as there is only a relatively thin foam insert between it and the rear carpet.
If you have not looked at the battery, suggest you do as it's very easy to tear the carpet! Not mentioned in the Owner's Manual but suggest you remove the bottom clips from the passenger side plastic wheel cover. (Only need to unclip the rear one and pull it out a few inches but the front may also come loose. Both easily reconnected by pressing with the side of your hand.) You can actually unclip with your fingers, it's ~3 inches up from the carpet but a plastic trim tool or screw driver can be used. That allows the carpet to be pulled out without tearing the corner.

I am getting a better than OEM AGM battery. Unfortunately an Optima won't fit, not the proper top terminal configuration to accept the power board. I just called Odyssey directly and although they mentioned a number that "fits" since it took transfers to several folks and the young lady didn't sound positive I then called JEGS (who sells them) and their tech took some time and said their notes say it requires some modification but no mention of what that is!

Have found an AGM at Sears and AutoZone that say it fits. In fact the AutoZone pic looks to have the proper shape AND hold down location. It also has 20+% higher CCA that the OEM.

Much better to get one when on sale (which I am waiting for although it's only ~$175) and while it's still working than "if/when" it fails next winter! Also, if I have a fit problem easily returned!

FWIW, I would not let Walmart etc install the battery unless I pulled the carpet back and uncovered it myself! Your carpet, your choice!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-10-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To About when to get a new battery

Quick Reply: About when to get a new battery