Sponsored by:

Low speed brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:46 AM
WV Vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Low speed brake squeal

I have a 2014 Z51 M7 vert with 10K miles and it has developed a low speed, below 10MPH, brake squeal when coming to a stop. It seems to be coming from the rear. I wouldn't think that a set of rear pads would be toast in 10K the way I drive it, but maybe I am wrong. I did a couple of high speed hard stops and didn't hear or feel anything unusual, just at low speed. Do I take it to my dealer or just order a set of Carbotech pads and be done with the squeal and dust?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 AM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the same problem with mine (2014 Z51 M7 vert) at around 10k miles also. I did the brake bedding procedure as described in the owners manual it the brake squeal is almost gone now. You should try that before buying any new brake pads.

Last edited by landsteam; 05-14-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WV Vette
I have a 2014 Z51 M7 vert with 10K miles and it has developed a low speed, below 10MPH, brake squeal when coming to a stop. It seems to be coming from the rear. I wouldn't think that a set of rear pads would be toast in 10K the way I drive it, but maybe I am wrong. I did a couple of high speed hard stops and didn't hear or feel anything unusual, just at low speed. Do I take it to my dealer or just order a set of Carbotech pads and be done with the squeal and dust?
Same problem here after 2500mi, tried the bedding procedure GM recommended several times but squeal kept coming back, Carbotech 1521s did the trick, saved the Brimbos in case I want to track the car. Squeal gone and very little brake dust actually more road dust than brake dust.

Last edited by BRCC; 05-14-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Try spraying the calipers with a garden hose to get the brake dust out. If that does not work I will be happy to set you up with a set of Carbotech 1521.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-14-2016, 10:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by WV Vette
Mine squealed like a stuck pig at slow speed stops when I had ~1000 miles. Bedded the brake pads/rotors using the procedure outlined in the Owners Manual for tracking but only used 8 to 10 repeats not the ~20 suggested. Squeal was gone but the very bad brake dust was not!

Lived with cleaning my wheels every ~100 miles for a year! If I didn't the dust was hard to remove. Then I switched to Carbotech 1521 pads - I waited a year too long, they are great! No noise, they stop at least as well and IMO better when cold. Now I clean the brake dust when I wash the car. What dust is there washes right off.

See Adams post above, he has great service!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-14-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:43 PM
WV Vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is probably calipers all crudded up with brake dust. I have it in the air now changing the oil, so I will blow out the calipers and try the bedding procedure. Then I will spend some money with Andy and get a set of Carbotechs.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:49 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah mine too. I noticed it at about 8000 miles. If I don't drive the car for a day or 2 when i back out and going about 2-5 mph out of the driveway it screeches really loud and its embarrasing because well its a 56k sportscar, it shouldn't sound like a 86 toyota corolla. Anywho once i get moving it goes away and won't come back until i haven't driven it again for a few days. More annoying than anything. Was going to make a post but did research first

Get notified of new replies

To Low speed brake squeal

Quick Reply: Low speed brake squeal