C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Old 03-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,679 Likes on 2,899 Posts

If they're working fine and not making any noise, I say just leave them in. Brembo calipers are very universal so a lot of cars share identical/similar pad designs. I'd trust the users on this board more than some 1-800 call center guy.

Last edited by Kracka; 03-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I really don't feel like going to the process of ordering & returning pads but RockAuto says if you install them they are not returnable even though they had it incorrect on their site and the consumer should have know they were incorrect before installing. I don't have time to fight with them by calling all the Damon 800 numbers and hit prompts and still can't get in contact with management. Awful customer service experienced at RockAuto!

So in my mind the brake pads work well and deep in my mind wondering if something could go wrong and place me at risk. I also get that Brembo is almost universal and many pad designs are similar and I could leave the Z26-1001 on and should have any problems especially considering that some of the Ford GTs and Dodge Vipers use the Z26-1001.

Bottom line, I would like others to chime in on what you would do if in this problem. Keep them on and keep it moving or since installed pads aren't returnable I would need to pay for correct pads and then uninstall incorrect ones and install the new ones.

What would you do?

Originally Posted by Kracka
If they're working fine and not making any noise, I say just leave them in. Brembo calipers are very universal so a lot of cars share identical/similar pad designs. I'd trust the users on this board more than some 1-800 call center guy.
S
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Well if it was me, I would pay for the correct pads from another source. They are not expensive and we have Vettes and have to pay to play. But, I would dispute the charge with either PayPal or your Credit Card and hope to eventually get a refund. After all, it was their error for listing the wrong part number. This way you may get eventual satisfaction and in the meanwhile, have no concerns about the pads on the car.

Since you contacted PowerStop, order it directly from them. I did and they shipped really fast and if I remember correctly I had had them in my dirty little hands in a couple of days.

Last edited by Flame Red; 03-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

^^^
Ah yes, but what are the "correct pads!?" The compound is the issue since Z06 pads fit. If you're tracking be sure to get racing pads, if not the pads folks have purchased appear right to me.

The folks at Power Stop import them from China! From my experience the people they have on the phone don't give me any confidence that they know what they are talking about. At those prices and profits from middle men what do you expect! Call some other companies and you'll see they recommended the same pads for Grand Sport and Z06. Try Hawk, Jegs who sell Power Stop etc etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

So I just went on a spirited 45 minute drive since it was 20 degrees yesterday and 70 degrees today thought I would test the pads again for stop bite and dust. Stopping inspite these pads are the incorrect PowerStop Z26-1001 and not the correct Z26-1474A... the stopping was equal to the OEM I took off and the dusting was minimal and really didn't need to be wiped. So I believe the dusting can only get better after getting a few hundred miles on but initial thought relative to dusting is easlily 75% better. That said, my gut is saying leave the pads on and not go through doing another brake job after doing my very first brake job. However, I am filing a complaint with credit card company against RockAuto so I might have to eventually return them so we'll see.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 PM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

If it was me I would get the right part numbers from another source and press a bit on contesting the credit card charge with Rock Auto. At the very least your effort might get Rock Auto to look into the problem and correct their website.

Big thank you to the forum folks who have gone to the effort to post impressions of these pads and especially to xp800 for getting the part numbers sorted out for us.

Like Foosh i would like to see some actual stopping distance comparison testing.

I do not have many miles on my GS yet and am stilling loving the time spent wiping the car down after drives so I will wait and see if the dusting problem gets to be too onerous before I buy Power Stops.

Last edited by jclarksnakes; 03-24-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-24-2017, 05:02 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Installing this afternoon on my 16' Z06. Is there a need to bleed the brakes after this install? Just putting pads on the car. 6k miles for what its worth.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
Installing this afternoon on my 16' Z06. Is there a need to bleed the brakes after this install? Just putting pads on the car. 6k miles for what its worth.
No.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

From PowerStop installation instructions:

STEP 15: Break – in new brake pads and rotors as shown below.
IMPORTANT: BREAK IN NEW FRICTION USING THE PAD BEDDING PROCEDURE AS FOLLOWS. PROPER PAD BED- DING CAN PREVENT ROTOR WARPING.

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you're forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.

Then do 5 mod*erate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.

After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok based on some great info on this forum I ordered the z26 1405 and rear pads, Wednesday evening they arrived this PM (Friday). Put then on today all went well plan to bed them tonight. But one small issue. The top clip/spring thing. I got confused and now I am not sure which is the way the original was facing. My Calipers happens to have a bolt going through the middle/top which I have not seen on any of the youtube illustrations. I think the purpose of the bolt is to stabilize the caliper as it doesn't seem necessary to anchor the pads. So easy question does the direction of the clip matter?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

See if this video helps:

Originally Posted by jaybar
Ok based on some great info on this forum I ordered the z26 1405 and rear pads, Wednesday evening they arrived this PM (Friday). Put then on today all went well plan to bed them tonight. But one small issue. The top clip/spring thing. I got confused and now I am not sure which is the way the original was facing. My Calipers happens to have a bolt going through the middle/top which I have not seen on any of the youtube illustrations. I think the purpose of the bolt is to stabilize the caliper as it doesn't seem necessary to anchor the pads. So easy question does the direction of the clip matter?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 PM
jaybar
Racer

Ok I think that is one of the video's I watched before I did my job.

Those calipers are different from mine. As I mentioned mine has a bolt going through the center above the pads, It has to be removed to change the pads. So my spring is a bit different it is not the same at both ends. I played around with it and it doesn't seem to matter both ways seems to do the job but who knows there must be a reason it can go in two ways.

Jay B
Old 03-24-2017, 06:46 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Z06 Install should help.

Originally Posted by jaybar
Ok I think that is one of the video's I watched before I did my job.

Those calipers are different from mine. As I mentioned mine has a bolt going through the center above the pads, It has to be removed to change the pads. So my spring is a bit different it is not the same at both ends. I played around with it and it doesn't seem to matter both ways seems to do the job but who knows there must be a reason it can go in two ways.

Jay B
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant

Bottom line, I would like others to chime in on what you would do if in this problem. Keep them on and keep it moving or since installed pads aren't returnable I would need to pay for correct pads and then uninstall incorrect ones and install the new ones.

What would you do?
KGrant,

I totally understand your concern. I'm also 99.9% sure the 1001 pads are the same as the 1474A EXCEPT the Mickey Mouse counterweights, as Kracka also said. Those weights are there ONLY to combat brake noise. Nothing more.

The friction material between pads in the Z23/26 lines are the same...this has also been confirmed by calls to PowerStop that users have reported. Differences are pad shapes, shim materials, etc., not friction material. This is where OEM pads differ greatly from the aftermarket. The OEMs tune their pad materials per vehicle quite often to get exactly what they want from a performance, NVH, thermal, etc. perspective. . They can afford to do this; most aftermarket can't or don't. It's why OEMs are more expensive for "consumer" pads than aftermarket. Race pads are a different animal. If you think about it, it wouldn't make much sense for Powerstop or other aftermarket pad maker to subtly modify their friction materials per vehicle within a given "consumer" pad line (Z23/26). Think of Carbotech too. You're buying the pad material for your application on a pad that fits your car...

All this to say, I'm 99.9% sure that the only tangible benefits you'd get from purchasing the 1474A is the weights and a reduction in your bank account. You won't get a different brake pad.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I did the same thing and had to redo the other front..... seems like they would pair them together per side or mark with sticker or rubberband them together.

Originally Posted by L1FRDOG
I did not have to remove any tabs... I seem to recall I accidently put two pads with no wear indicator on one wheel and when I was working on the other wheel found that one pad would go in with no issues, but the second pad would not. I had to go back and fix the first wheel. then no issues after that.

L1FRDOG
Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Duralast Gold pads at Autozone
Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Installed them last night on my 16' Z06. Install was easy. Had to break off wear tab on Pass. rear inner pad.

all is well, EXCEPT there is a noise when braking. Not a squealing, but whirring/rubbery/I can't explain it sound. I'm thinking it is the new pad surface and original rotors. Nothing egregious. Just there and different. Anyone else experience this?

i followed the break in procedures I found on the forum. Several hard stops and then drive to cool them down. Etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

That sound will go away after you get more miles on them, mine did that originally and now there quite
Old 03-25-2017, 01:40 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Thank you for the reply. I felt as if that might be the case.

As as it relates to performance, for me they seem to be on par w/ the OEM pads. I won't be tracking the car. Just driving it on nice days.

There is so much less dust! Waaaay better!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM
jaybar
Racer

Originally Posted by KGrant
Z06 Install should help.

https://youtu.be/fsgEpSUhyMs

Yes would have been very helpful if the creator would not have music playing loudly and is voice in the end un hearable.
Yes he had the bolt through the top of the caliper like mine, but made no mention as to if the direction of the clip was important. As I said mine could go either way. Now he may have said it but the damm music blocked him out.

I hate these people that think they are Steven Spielberg in creating a how to video. Its informative not entertainment.

Last edited by jaybar; 03-26-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Zap City (03-25-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?