C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment touchscreen glitched - Can you help me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 AM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Infotainment touchscreen glitched - Can you help me?

When I started my car yesterday I noticed that the Infotainment Touchscreen was not working properly. The overlay was being displayed, however the screen was flashing randomly updating only small horizontal bands across the display. The remainder of the screen was black. This behavior also occurred when the backup camera was activated. Occasionally the entire screen will go black and stay that way for some time.

I've tried cycling power to the unit with the power button and with the ignition - neither had any effect.

I also tried the "bang it with my fist" method on top of the dash and on the screen, but this advanced troubleshooting technique had no effect either.

The last time that I started the car the screen worked fine. The only variable that seems different is the interior temperature. The screen was not working when the interior temperature was high, but was working properly when it was in the 70s. I don't have enough data yet to conclude whether this could be a legitimate cause or not. The issue occurs whether the car is moving or stationary. It does not seem to change if I'm bouncing around when I'm hitting sections of rough pavement.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions that I could try? I'm concerned that if I take it into the dealer it might decide to work properly thereby wasting half of a day. Or is taking it to the dealer the best next move? The good news is that my car is still under warranty.

Last edited by Twisted Swifter; 05-24-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:10 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisted Swifter
When I started my car yesterday I noticed that the Infotainment Touchscreen was not working properly. The overlay was being displayed, however the screen was flashing randomly updating only small horizontal bands across the display. The remainder of the screen was black. This behavior also occurred when the backup camera was activated. Occasionally the entire screen will go black and stay that way for some time.

I've tried cycling power to the unit with the power button and with the ignition - neither had any effect.

I also tried the "bang it with my fist" method on top of the dash and on the screen, but this advanced troubleshooting technique had no effect either.

The last time that I started the car the screen worked fine. The only variable that seems different is the interior temperature. The screen was not working when the interior temperature was high, but was working properly when it was in the 70s. I don't have enough data yet to conclude whether this could be a legitimate cause or not. The issue occurs whether the car is moving or stationary. It does not seem to change if I'm bouncing around when I'm hitting sections of rough pavement.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions that I could try? I'm concerned that if I take it into the dealer it might decide to work properly thereby wasting half of a day. Or is taking it to the dealer the best next move? The good news is that my car is still under warranty.
What year is the car? If 2014, it's a known issue and most likely the connector cable. You will need to go to the dealer for replacement.
The following users liked this post:
Twisted Swifter (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

You will need to have the screen replaced. I have a similar problem with my '15 coupe and traced it to wiring that has failed due to flexing as the screen raises and lowers. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:45 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Had it replaced. Has been fine ever since.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Yep, I have a 2014. Thanks all! I appreciate the assistance.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:31 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Same thing happened to me. Had it replaced. Has been fine ever since.
Me too...just a few days ago...in warranty, so who cares?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 PM
mcginna
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PIC5934B
Copied from another user:
"I have this problem and have searched the forums for an update to your original post showing a copy of PIC5934. I subscribe to ALLDATADIY.com and found update PIC5934B listed . It states the fix is to replace the radio display with a part #23476338 radio display using labor operation 3430990. I will be taking our car in for repair later this week."

My screen in my 2014 finally failed too, I took this info to the dealer, and they used it to fix the problem and replace the screen. Works great again.
Twisted Swifter (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:28 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Had the same issue with my 14, dealer first needed to check on software version, since I had the updated version they ordered and installed a new screen last week.
Twisted Swifter (05-29-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM
zdr2k
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Had the same issue with my 14, dealer first needed to check on software version, since I had the updated version they ordered and installed a new screen last week.
Ditto! Software refreshed - no fix. Replaced screen, fix. Warranty item.
Twisted Swifter (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

Mine went out as well in my 2014. Dealer replaced screen under warranty. Took a week. Got really tired of driving my 14 year old minivan.
Twisted Swifter (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:46 PM
jb193
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frodo
You will need to have the screen replaced. I have a similar problem with my '15 coupe and traced it to wiring that has failed due to flexing as the screen raises and lowers. Good luck with your repairs.
Bingo!! Just about to ask about that problem with my '15 coupe.
One question: Was it an in and out fix, or did you have to leave it at the dealer for any length of time?
Old 06-01-2016, 03:25 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't worry there are plenty of remanufactured units to fix these problems.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Quick follow up:

My dealer ordered and installed a new screen that was delivered the next day, so I was without the car for two days. Everything works great, and it was covered by the standard warranty.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Get notified of new replies

To Infotainment touchscreen glitched - Can you help me?

Quick Reply: Infotainment touchscreen glitched - Can you help me?