Sponsored by:

Cheap front camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by fredl11
ordered the wrong tap Am now waiting for the MICRO tap.
I'm looking at the photo

and it looks like you removed fuses 27 and 28 , plugged in the tap and then placed the 2 removed fuses into the tap.

Am I seeing this correct or on the verge of shorting out the whole electrical system on the C7

The fuse in Position 27 (ODD ING) is covered by the Fuse Tap so you can't see it in the photo.

The Fuse Tap you want to use is for Micro-2 fuse.
1. What you need to do is pull the original 15A fuse from Position 28 (EVEN ING)
2. Put that fuse into the bottom position of the Fuse Tape.
3. Then put the new fuse (I used a 10A) in the top position of the Fuse Tap
4. Place the Fuse Tap back into Position 28
5. I cut a slot into to the fuse box to prevent the wire from being pinched by the fuse box cover.

Hope this explains it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Beroza:
alexsoo (07-25-2016), fredl11 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Still haven't given up on the WIFI location when tap comes in ill have son point correct location you show.

Is you C7 a Z51?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Still haven't given up on the WIFI location when tap comes in ill have son point correct location you show.

Is you C7 a Z51?
My car is a 2015 C7 Stingray. It's an Artic White Base Model.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:13 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I got the Trio tablet today, but I decided to just send it back without opening it. The BLU Android phone does everything I want.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:00 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

I installed another camera on the front of my daily driver today (Honda Civic Si). Not nearly as easy as the Corvette due to limited space, but after taking the battery out, I found a spot where i could fish the wire into the engine compartment, and mounted the WiFi unit behind a removable panel in the fender. There are no fuses that are not hot all the time in the engine compartment fuse box, with the exception of the headlights. I used the headlight fuse, so I have to turn on the headlights to power up the WiFi unit. It was either that, or trying to get a power wire through the firewall, which is a nightmare.

Anyway, back to Vettes. I picked this stand up and it works quite well in the cubby. It is pretty heavy, and keeps the phone in place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1VDCGO
Old 07-08-2016, 07:02 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

OK Zbrett and others, you are installing a dedicated phone/tablet just to pickup a feed from your front camera?? I am sure having a front camera is nice, I wish I had one too, but to tack on a cheap phone in the interior and do all this complicated setup just for a front camera seems less than ideal.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-08-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:02 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
OK Zbrett and others, you are installing a dedicated phone/tablet just to pickup a feed from your front camera?? I am sure having a front camera is nice, I wish I had one too, but to tack on a cheap phone in the interior and do all this complicated setup just for a front camera seems less than ideal.
The alternative is Navitool, which starts at $400 plus install (if you aren't handy) plus the cost of a camera.

I'm using a second phone in the "secret compartment" for both the front camera parking app and with the app for my Valentine One radar detector. The V1 app allows me to black out all the lights on the detector, among other things. The Android phone I bought for $60 looks far from cheap. It's pretty incredible. I'll probably find more uses for it over time.

A curb alert costs around $149. You can buy the Wi-Fi camera for $20, the extension cable, female to female RCA adapter and fuse tap for $15 (Amazon) and Wi-Fi unit for around $30 (eBay). You only need a second screen if you are using Waze (Or something similar). The iOS or Android app is free and dead simple to use. So assuming you use your own phone, total cost is $65. Cheap insurance to make sure you don't mess up the front end of your Corvette. This alternative works for me, but probably won't appeal to everyone.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:05 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
When I began this thread about the front camera my total cost for the wifi adapter and camera and my own labor was less than $38.00 using my existing Iphone that I don't leave in the car and really that is cheap insurance to keep from scratching up the front end. I know this is probably not for everyone but it is an effective and simple alternative to me.

Last edited by red 1; 07-09-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:00 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Default Well something went WRONG!!

Have had parst for weeks now and during dry runs everthing went fine.
Alas, today not so much.

Finally got MICRO tap and installed everything. Transmitter cranked up and light went blue. started WIFIAV ,checked phone to make sure it connected. app connected and NO VID. Transmitter icon from app lit but no video. checked all connections and found nothing. tested power leads and verified power to camera.

Any ideas??

I've pulled system out of car and tried reconnecting directly between camera and Transmitter (not using extension cable) and same results transmitter lights up but no vid.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you have to put your password in again or did it even ask for it?

Alas, today not so much.

Finally got MICRO tap and installed everything. Transmitter cranked up and light went blue. started WIFIAV ,checked phone to make sure it connected. app connected and NO VID. Transmitter icon from app lit but no video. checked all connections and found nothing. tested power leads and verified power to camera.

Any ideas??

I've pulled system out of car and tried reconnecting directly between camera and Transmitter (not using extension cable) and same results transmitter lights up but no vid.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:40 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Alas, today not so much.

Any ideas??

You could of received a defective camera or wi-if unit. It happens. If you are able to log onto the wi-fi unit network and get no picture, I'd start with returning/replacing the camera. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:53 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

If you are installing this on an older Corvette and can't find a power source in the engine compartment that switches on and off with the ignition, here is an inexpensive alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018TW0KN2
Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Default I wonder

if maybe the heat was a problem? Last night I went out and hooked up again and it worked. Will try locating transmitter in another location. I had it on the driver side up near the brake reservoir

OK. reinstalled everything and ran Transmitter into the cabin. Cranked everything up and got video. Drove about 3 miles and worked all the way. parked in a lot and bought some things inside. Started car transmitter turned blue transmit icon lit but all the way home no video. Got home and checked connection between camera and extension cable and depending on how I made the connection with the red power it would start to show video or turn black. When I would get video I wopuld turn off engine and try again but would get all ok BUT no video

Now is it camera or video extension cable??? AGGGHHH

I'm going to order another camera anyway.
Wish me luck.

Might try a different vendor on Amazon

Last edited by fredl11; 07-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

if maybe the heat was a problem? Last night I went out and hooked up again and it worked. Will try locating transmitter in another location. I had it on the driver side up near the brake reservoir

OK. reinstalled everything and ran Transmitter into the cabin. Cranked everything up and got video. Drove about 3 miles and worked all the way. parked in a lot and bought some things inside. Started car transmitter turned blue transmit icon lit but all the way home no video. Got home and checked connection between camera and extension cable and depending on how I made the connection with the red power it would start to show video or turn black. When I would get video I wopuld turn off engine and try again but would get all ok BUT no video

Now is it camera or video extension cable??? AGGGHHH

I'm going to order another camera anyway.
Wish me luck.

Might try a different vendor on Amazon
If your having the video cut in and out it sounds like a bad camera. Which camera are you using? The one that came with the Transmitter or the ESKY Camera (Square Camera) a lot of us have switched to. Try a test without the extension cable. That should help to narrow down the problem.

But I would try one more thing...
Check your ground wire to make sure you have a good contact.

Last edited by Bob Beroza; 07-11-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Default Camera is the

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
If your having the video cut in and out it sounds like a bad camera. Which camera are you using? The one that came with the Transmitter or the ESKY Camera (Square Camera) a lot of us have switched to. Try a test without the extension cable. That should help to narrow down the problem.

But I would try one more thing...
Check your ground wire to make sure you have a good contact.
Esky Square one and I will check ground
Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 03:21 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Think I'm all set new camera arrived and working ok so far.
I made another change I noticed supplied power cable was different so I switched to it. I've attached pic showing difference
The end on the right 7s the one I've used

Old 07-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Think I'm all set new camera arrived and working ok so far.
I made another change I noticed supplied power cable was different so I switched to it. I've attached pic showing difference
The end on the right 7s the one I've used

Let us know how it works.

On another note...
I purchased a CHEAP Android phone to use in the dash cubby as a permanent monitor. It was a whopping $19 at Best Buy. The big problem is since I don't have it on a Cell Network (it's burner phone), it keeps asking me to setup one. Anyone know how to defeat this?

Also does anyone here know if the USB Port in the Cubby is live all the time or does it shut down after a certain amount of time? I want to leave the phone connected but don't want it to be running ALL the time when the cars just sitting in the garage

By the way...the Phone Stand we listed in this thread is perfect. Fits great and you can adjust the angle to whatever you like.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap front camera

Old 07-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by red 1
I did have to take the camera apart it's very simple and remove a trace inside so the image would not be reversed, it comes set up as a backup camera.
Could you please explain this in detail. What exactly do you need to do to the camera to make this work as a front camera.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Anyone have a Zero Edge?

Anyone familiar with Zero Edge Technology Z-Edge Z3?
Am thinking about this camera.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Default 1st day try out

Put it to the test morning.
Worked great

I also ran mine differently. I put the transmitter inside under the glove compartment

I ran the wires from camera along passanger side underneath fender

Then under rubber and taped over

Removed moulding and ran wires underneath and and behind portion of moulding under the glove compartment

The heat of engine compartment had me concerned

Last edited by fredl11; 07-15-2016 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alexsoo (07-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Cheap front camera