Sponsored by:

Z51/base Corvette difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 AM
maugust24
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Interesting to see these "Z51 Versus Non-Z51" debates come up often.

Z51 is a no brainer, with or without MRC. Forged wheels, bigger brakes, better LSD - that alone should make your decision. Forged wheels are HUGE for performance improvement, whether you track your car or not. It's called reduced unsprung weight which is the holy grail in performance motoring. The very first thing race cars and motorcycles go after is reducing unsprung weight.

For everyone who thinks Z51 without MRC handles rough, I don't know what your sports car ownership experience is or how old you are. I have had 3 AMG Mercedes and every one of them rode much harsher than my Z51 without mag ride. Funny to listen to corvette guys who forgo competition seats or insist on plush rides in the name of comfort in their sports cars.

This isn't a floaty old caddy anymore, get with the program!

BAM !!!!
What XAARRAA said. If you want a plush ride go buy a luxury car. I will stick with my so called rough ride all day long.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:00 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Having bought the wife a base '14 3LT almost two years ago, and a '16 Z51 3LT (with MRC) for myself last September, and having driven both across country after taking Museum delivery, I can tell you that there is noticeable difference between the two regarding the ride.

The base is far softer and smoother, mode for mode, as would be expected based on the information released at launch.

The base is great, and if you're not pushing it to 90% or better it will serve very well.

The Z51 is very acceptable for touring, but you can certainly feel the difference. However, the Z51 excels when pushed towards the limits.

Only you can decide how you plan to use the car and what value fits your needs and pocketbook. Can't go wrong either way!
The following 3 users liked this post by tunaman:
dpb (05-29-2016), Marcus Malone (05-30-2016), Rebel Yell (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 PM
vpcirc
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's my 1LT base with about $2500 in self installed upgrades. There's two nice added features on the 16. Apple Car Play and a self closing rear hatch. Had I known the Grand Sport was coming out and how it looked, I would of been tempted to wait, but I've learned to make a big looks impact for a few grand

Side rockers, factory spoiler, Z06 Grill, stage 1 factory front splitter, Vette Stripes.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:09 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Having bought the wife a base '14 3LT almost two years ago, and a '16 Z51 3LT (with MRC) for myself last September, and having driven both across country after taking Museum delivery, I can tell you that there is noticeable difference between the two regarding the ride.

The base is far softer and smoother, mode for mode, as would be expected based on the information released at launch.

The base is great, and if you're not pushing it to 90% or better it will serve very well.

The Z51 is very acceptable for touring, but you can certainly feel the difference. However, the Z51 excels when pushed towards the limits.

Only you can decide how you plan to use the car and what value fits your needs and pocketbook. Can't go wrong either way!
Here ya OP, the best comparison is one from experience. Thanks tunaman for this apples to apples explanation.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 05-27-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Not an all right or all wrong answer on Base or Z51 having had both just more about preference. Base is a nice ride 100% Corvette and saves you $. I favor Z51 although I don't track because I want the larger brakes to stop the beast and like the larger tires and wheels that come with the package. I also like Heads Up Display. When I question one direction or another on anything Corvette I usually select the higher option which helps you avoid any regrets looking back with not getting a package you passed on.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Not an all right or all wrong answer on Base or Z51 having had both just more about preference. Base is a nice ride 100% Corvette and saves you $. I favor Z51 although I don't track because I want the larger brakes to stop the beast and like the larger tires and wheels that come with the package. I also like Heads Up Display. When I question one direction or another on anything Corvette I usually select the higher option which helps you avoid any regrets looking back with not getting a package you passed on.
HUD not exclusive to Z51.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I had the Z51 option on my C6. Had it on the track 3 times in 8 years. Did not get it on my C7. Keep in mind that not only does the Z51 option cost more now, but also in maintenance because replacing the brakes, tires, etc on a car with with the Z51 option is going to cost more than on a base car. Of course my point is moot if you buy a new Corvette every couple of years. No matter what Corvette you end up with, you will not be disappointed.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have Netflix, I don't watch it everyday but I like the fact that it's there for the times that I do want to watch it.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:27 AM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
I had the Z51 option on my C6. Had it on the track 3 times in 8 years. Did not get it on my C7. Keep in mind that not only does the Z51 option cost more now, but also in maintenance because replacing the brakes, tires, etc on a car with with the Z51 option is going to cost more than on a base car. Of course my point is moot if you buy a new Corvette every couple of years. No matter what Corvette you end up with, you will not be disappointed.
"replacing the brakes, tires, etc on a car with with the Z51 option is going to cost more than on a base car" is baseless

Z51 / MRC are nice options regardless of whether you track or not, for some people, but dont make the decision based on cost alone - it's a lot of bang for the buck IMO

Last edited by Florida2000; 05-28-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida2000
"replacing the brakes, tires, etc on a car with with the Z51 option is going to cost more than on a base car" is baseless

Z51 / MRC are nice options regardless of whether you track or not, for some people, but dont make the decision based on cost alone - it's a lot of bang for the buck IMO
It's not baseless. The tires cost more to replace. The brakes cost more to replace (especially the rotors). Go ahead and look them up. Yes, the Z51 is great bang for the buck, but it will also cost more in the long run. Cost is a consideration for some people, and for those people, the costs over the long term may or may not influence their decision.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 AM
nhz51
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Go in between like I did. Get the base but add Magride. You get better suspension but still a very good ride, and the forged bigger wheels.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:04 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

It is pretty obvious to me from reading all the posts on Base v Z51, Z51 v Z06, A8 v MN7, that unless you get: Z06/Z06 3LZ MN7 in Racing Yellow with yellow calipers and all the carbon fiber options, you would be buying an inferior car that performs no better than a 1990 Geo Tracker - meaning you just shouldn't waste your time or money buying any C7 if that is not the one.
So for the OP, pucker up and prepare to drop $115k, whether that is what you need or not.
Rebel Yell (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:08 PM
vpcirc
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
It is pretty obvious to me from reading all the posts on Base v Z51, Z51 v Z06, A8 v MN7, that unless you get: Z06/Z06 3LZ MN7 in Racing Yellow with yellow calipers and all the carbon fiber options, you would be buying an inferior car that performs no better than a 1990 Geo Tracker - meaning you just shouldn't waste your time or money buying any C7 if that is not the one.
So for the OP, pucker up and prepare to drop $115k, whether that is what you need or not.
Lol then be prepared for a 10k brake job. The joke at the dealership is you can buy a Cruze for the cost of doing the brakes!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Thank you!
This notion that a base C7 is some kind of 1980's era Cadillac from a ride/handling perspective is not only uneducated, but just plain silly. A base C7 is a CORVETTE. I will promise you that it is BETTER and MORE CAPABLE than 99% of the drivers that buy any one of the C7 variants. If one is tracking their C7, then they should absolutely get Z51, beyond that, IMO, the vast majority of Z51's bought are done for bragging rights (childish) or some inflated opinion of one's driving skills and ability to take a Corvette to it's very high limits on the street. If someone is outdriving the brakes on a base C7 on the street, then that person needs to go to jail.

Jimmy
Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 PM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Thank you!
... IMO, the vast majority of Z51's bought are done for bragging rights (childish) or some inflated opinion of one's driving skills and ability to take a Corvette to it's very high limits on the street. If someone is outdriving the brakes on a base C7 on the street, then that person needs to go to jail.

Jimmy
No offense Jimmy, but what you said above is pretty silly. No one outdrives even a camry or corolla on the street. So why even buy a sports car? The whole "I don't need the performance" argument falls flat the moment you convince yourself that you want a sports car which by definition is faster/better/more fun. So yes, any improved performance variants on the base car whether it is Z51 or Z06 or whatever is in fact better. That's a fact. If you don't want to spend the $$, sure no problem, but that doesn't change the fact that the variant is still a better car than the base car you bought.

I don't care about all the other little bits of a Z51, but the benefits of forged wheels, better LSD and bigger brakes should be pretty obvious to even the most tame driver in everyday driving. If not, said person probably doesn't have refined enough taste, and thats quite OK too.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 05-28-2016 at 03:43 PM.
joeybsyc (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:40 PM
jgzo6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Thank you!
This notion that a base C7 is some kind of 1980's era Cadillac from a ride/handling perspective is not only uneducated, but just plain silly. A base C7 is a CORVETTE. I will promise you that it is BETTER and MORE CAPABLE than 99% of the drivers that buy any one of the C7 variants. If one is tracking their C7, then they should absolutely get Z51, beyond that, IMO, the vast majority of Z51's bought are done for bragging rights (childish) or some inflated opinion of one's driving skills and ability to take a Corvette to it's very high limits on the street. If someone is outdriving the brakes on a base C7 on the street, then that person needs to go to jail.

Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy, You took the words right out of my mouth. Having owned many high performance cars including 4-corvettes the prior vette a c5 zo6 I find my 16 base c7 a8 npp vette more then capable.I also look at it being the best value for the money. I only keep my toy cars (yes the vette is an adult toy) for two or three years. You don't get you money back on options. You get your money back on a low mile one owner mint condition Vette. A lot of used vette buyers may not want a z51 package on the resale market because they feel the car may have been abused. The second reason is about money the base will be cheaper and in the used car market it all about money.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

The difference, in my case, was about $2,800 in the fall of 2013. A Corvette with very few options is still a Corvette. Everyone of the them are totally cool.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51/base Corvette difference

Old 05-28-2016, 03:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
No offense Jimmy, but what you said above is pretty silly. No one outdrives even a camry or corolla on the street. So why even buy a sports car? The whole "I don't need the performance" argument falls flat the moment you convince yourself that you want a sports car which by definition is faster/better/more fun. So yes, any improved performance variants on the base car whether it is Z51 or Z06 or whatever is in fact better. That's a fact. If you don't want to spend the $$, sure no problem, but that doesn't change the fact that the variant is still a better car than the base car you bought.

I don't care about all the other little bits of a Z51, but the benefits of forged wheels, better LSD and bigger brakes should be pretty obvious to even the most tame driver in everyday driving. If not, said person probably doesn't have refined enough taste, and thats quite OK too.
No offense taken. Reality is that the Z51 package is a TRACK package, that was my only point. I have the same thought in regards to a GT3 verses a GT3RS. Just my opinion.

You did zero in on only one part of my post (the brake comment). There is (and has been) this weird Z51 man card thing that has gone on here since C6 days, my comment was NOT that a Z51 isn't more capable (it is), my point was and is that the base C7 is not some boulevard cruiser that can't carve up a mountain road with plenty of verve. Again, they're all Corvettes (sports cars), but the implication of many Z51 owners is that the base car is a Sheep in Wolf's clothing is silly and untrue.

Jimmy

PS. Go to Napa Valley and drive the Oakville Grade or Spring Mountain Road in a Camry...you CAN have the brakes smoking and begging for mercy (I've done it). That won't happen in a base C7 (I've proven that also)

PSS. Of course, none of this (my opinion) matters because I have.....a convertible so I, of course, use the girl's bathroom, etc....I do, however, cling to some of my sports car dignity because my car is a manual!

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:06 PM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by bluevette67
Based on what you described, why would you be disappointed with the base model if you are not going to the track? Same engine, same hp. You can get NPP exhaust for 5 hp bump and a spoiler as an option to get the look and upgrade the wheels later if it is the appearance that has you worried. I think it will plenty fun and give you what you need and you will love that brand new car smell. :-) I know I did!
This is exactly what I did one month ago. Bought 1LT base new and have spoiler ordered and new wheels in garage waiting to be installed. Way more car than I will ever use for street driving and I love it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
It's not baseless. The tires cost more to replace. The brakes cost more to replace (especially the rotors). Go ahead and look them up. Yes, the Z51 is great bang for the buck, but it will also cost more in the long run. Cost is a consideration for some people, and for those people, the costs over the long term may or may not influence their decision.
A set of four (4) Z51 OEM Tires are $90 more than the base and are good for at least 15,000 miles.

I owned a C6 Z51 for 5 years without touching the brakes.

Worst case scenario you are looking at an extra $500 over 5 years.

If that influences the decision on a car the costs $60-$70K you probably shouldn't be buying the car.

Just sayin'
joeybsyc (05-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Z51/base Corvette difference