Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm getting a new A8 for my 2015 C7

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,227 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good news that GM and your dealer is taking care of you.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 AM
pilewis
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The delayed engagement (the technician called it a double engagement) generally only happened when the car was started first thing in the morning. It usually lasted until the car came up to operating temperature, when the warm up band on the tach went away. But, sometimes, I would get a delayed engagement when driving. Making a turn, coasting around a corner, the transmission would sometimes delay engagement and thud into gear when starting acceleration (even light acceleration) after completing the turn.

As I mentioned before, I've already had a new torque converter replaced under warranty. That seemed to solve the problem for about 5,000 miles or so, and then it came back, even worse than it was.

I think the reason I'm getting the new transmission is: 1) a dealer has already tried two fixes and 2) I switched to a better dealer.

Updating what's happening now, a new transmission has not been delivered and we have the holiday weekend. I'm guessing it won't be shipped until Tuesday, if I'm lucky, and I may not get the car back for another week.

I'll let you all know.

Thank you for all your interest and support. On the positive side, I've had the car since October 2014; driven it for over 20,000 miles, and love driving it! I've been to several racing classes including Spring Mountain and this corvette is really the best handling and performing car I've owned. I can't wait to get it back!

Take care all,

Phil from Georgia
Old 05-28-2016, 12:06 PM
tones_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Man, this is too bad about the A8.
Good luck OP. I hope the new transmission takes care of your problem.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:15 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pilewis
Hello all!

I just wanted to let youall know that it's possible to get a new replacement A8 if you are having problems.

My transmission was diagnosed with double engagement ( I had that hard shifting problem in the morning that some of you have also had). The dealer has ordered a new transmission for me, and I should receive it sometime this week or early next week. I've had this problem for a long time, and a different dealer tried a software upgrade and a new torque converter and neither of these fixed the problem . So now with a new transmission I should be able to start enjoying my Z 51 again!

I took delivery of my car in October 2014. So it was a early production transmission. I'm hoping that this is a 2016 transmission and that it will be better.
So far (knock on wood), my '15 Z51 A8 which I took delivery on 9/30/14 has been free of any issues.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:04 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

The transmission and torque converter rebuilders for GM must be working overtime to fill the orders When GM is selling between 30k and 40k cars a year whats a few defects going to do to their bottom line, probably not much. Trade in time will tell the story.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:37 AM
pilewis
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know exactly where the trannys are made? I'm guessing Detroit.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 AM
khaled
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
Only issues my trans had was the delayed engagement. TCM update fixed it for a month, then a new transmission (#24274892) fixed it for another month, but it's doing it again. Going back again next week so they can try something else with the relearn procedure. Hope the new trans works for you!

I have exactly the same problem described by you , they did the calibiration like 5 times and yet it disappears only for few weeks and then comming back again !
It is a delay engagement + hard / sudden jump when engaged .

Interest in knowing where did you reach with your dealer .
Old 05-29-2016, 03:26 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by pilewis
Does anyone know exactly where the trannys are made? I'm guessing Detroit.
Toldeo, Ohio i believe
Old 05-29-2016, 03:29 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by khaled
I have exactly the same problem described by you , they did the calibiration like 5 times and yet it disappears only for few weeks and then comming back again !
It is a delay engagement + hard / sudden jump when engaged .

Interest in knowing where did you reach with your dealer .
The next appointment is on Tuesday, so we will see what happens. If this doesn't fix it I'm either trading the car in for a manual trans c7 or a truck. Im getting tired of having to mess with cars
Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

The next appointment is on Tuesday, so we will see what happens. If this doesn't fix it I'm either trading the car in for a manual trans c7 or a truck. Im getting tired of having to mess with cars
Does take the enjoyment away .... and G.M. remains silent.. No recall ..
No letter to owners ... heck even the service departments are not all on the same page.... would have expected more this day in age...
Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
No letter to owners ... heck even the service departments are not all on the same page.... would have expected more this day in age...
Recalls are for safety issues, like if your seat belt won't buckle or your wheel might fall off or your air bag might kill you, not for a weird shift in the morning.

GM doesn't "remain silent" because there is nothing to say. If you are having an issue it is pretty clear they are willing to address it as long as you are working with a dealer capable of proper diagnosis.

"the service departments" are all part of independent franchises with their own employees that may or may not be proficient at working on certain models depending on their location, ability to use a computer (ha), or even who happens to be working or has a day off on the day you happen to bring your car in, they are not worker ants tied to the queen through magic esp. it's the same thing at the porsche dealer except there are a fraction of them vs chevy of course and information is probably disseminated more efficiently, although not perfect I am sure.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Sad as it is, this A8 issue has truly exposed another flaw within GM damn near as bad as the ignition switch debacle.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Recalls are for safety issues, like if your seat belt won't buckle or your wheel might fall off or your air bag might kill you, not for a weird shift in the morning.

GM doesn't "remain silent" because there is nothing to say. If you are having an issue it is pretty clear they are willing to address it as long as you are working with a dealer capable of proper diagnosis.

"the service departments" are all part of independent franchises with their own employees that may or may not be proficient at working on certain models depending on their location, ability to use a computer (ha), or even who happens to be working or has a day off on the day you happen to bring your car in, they are not worker ants tied to the queen through magic esp. it's the same thing at the porsche dealer except there are a fraction of them vs chevy of course and information is probably disseminated more efficiently, although not perfect I am sure.
So I guess unless someone can be injured ..G.M. does not HAVE TO do a recall or notify owners... If you are content with the way the A8 tranny issue is being handled...that's fine...
Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

So I guess unless someone can be injured ..G.M. does not HAVE TO do a recall or notify owners... If you are content with the way the A8 tranny issue is being handled...that's fine...
Hell, just look at the way they handled the ignition switch issue or for that matter, the way the industry as a whole the air bag issue. They all suck. They get away with it because congress is in their back pocket.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Mine is OK as of now, built March of this yr. I am having a strange warble sound but dealer thinks it is AFM valves, we will see. Good luck
Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

What do you want them to notify owners about exactly? Of all the publicity on this forum about the A8, there are 10s of thousands without issue. How many separate owners on CF have A8 trans or TC replacements? Even if it is 10, 20, 30 that is still almost nothing. We all know owners with issues go online to research more, cars, toasters, or shoes, doesn't matter.

For perspective, if it is people's safety you are worried about, what is the failure rate of medicine? Cold and flu medicine? Chemo? Herpes? How about condoms for aids or pregnancy? All NOT good and failure rates from 30% to 100%.....Compared to a newly designed complicated transmission with a year on the road with very good performance having an intermittent cold shift issue on a small number of vehicles I would say that you might want to refocus your consumer protection efforts to other industries where people are dying and it isn't because of their new Corvettes.

BTW, what problems are you having with your A8 transmission?
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

What do you want them to notify owners about exactly? Of all the publicity on this forum about the A8, there are 10s of thousands without issue. How many separate owners on CF have A8 trans or TC replacements? Even if it is 10, 20, 30 that is still almost nothing. We all know owners with issues go online to research more, cars, toasters, or shoes, doesn't matter.

For perspective, if it is people's safety you are worried about, what is the failure rate of medicine? Cold and flu medicine? Chemo? Herpes? How about condoms for aids or pregnancy? All NOT good and failure rates from 30% to 100%.....Compared to a newly designed complicated transmission with a year on the road with very good performance having an intermittent cold shift issue on a small number of vehicles I would say that you might want to refocus your consumer protection efforts to other industries where people are dying and it isn't because of their new Corvettes.

BTW, what problems are you having with your A8 transmission?
You just gave me a good laugh ... tks....

Get notified of new replies

To I'm getting a new A8 for my 2015 C7

Old 05-29-2016, 11:00 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Just dont get a GM truck with the 8 speed, same trans - same problems.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Well said and deadly accurate.

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Sad as it is, this A8 issue has truly exposed another flaw within GM damn near as bad as the ignition switch debacle.
Okay......ummmm.....

Yep. Deal with it, reality is harsh and words hurt.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kp
Just dont get a GM truck with the 8 speed, same trans - same problems.
Lol very true! A friend's suv is doing the same thing, and the owner of the shop that tunes my car has a truck with the same problem. Definitely not just a C7 problem unfortunately

Quick Reply: I'm getting a new A8 for my 2015 C7